- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 741071, 7 pages
Rheumatoid Factor and Its Interference with Cytokine Measurements: Problems and Solutions
1The Parker Institute, Frederiksberg Hospital, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
2Faculty of Health Science, University of Copenhagen, 2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark
3Centre for Sensory-Motor Interaction, Aalborg University, 9220 Aalborg, Denmark
Received 4 November 2010; Revised 1 April 2011; Accepted 27 April 2011
Academic Editor: Shigeru Kotake
Copyright © 2011 Else Marie Bartels et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Mewar and A. G. Wilson, “Autoantibodies inrheumatoid arthritis: a review,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 648–655, 2006.
- E. Waaler, “On the occurrence of a factor in human serum activating the specific agglutination of sheep blood corpuscles,” Acta Pathologica Microbiologica Scandinavica, vol. 17, pp. 172–188, 1940.
- M. Mannik, F. A. Nardella, and E. H. Sasso, “Rheumatoid factors in immune complexes of patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Springer Seminars in Immunopathology, vol. 10, no. 2-3, pp. 215–230, 1988.
- T. L. Moore and R. W. Dorner, “Rheumatoid factors,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 75–84, 1993.
- S. Bläß, J. M. Engel, and G. R. Burmester, “The immunologic homunculus in rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 2499–2506, 1999.
- J. N. Arnold, R. A. Dwek, P. M. Rudd, and R. B. Sim, “Mannan binding lectin and its interaction with immunoglobulins in health and in disease,” Immunology Letters, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 103–110, 2006.
- A. L. Corper, M. K. Sohi, V. R. Bonagura et al., “Structure of human IgM rheumatoid factor Fab bound to its autoantigen IgG Fc reveals a novel topology of antibody-antigen interaction,” Nature Structural Biology, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 374–381, 1997.
- F. C. Hay, L. J. Nineham, and I. M. Roitt, “Routine assay for detection of IgG and IgM antiglobulins in seronegative and seropositive rheumatoid arthritis,” British Medical Journal, vol. 3, no. 5977, pp. 203–204, 1975.
- J. T. Gran, A. Johannessen, and G. Husby, “A study of IgM rheumatoid factors in a middle-aged population of Northern Norway,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 163–168, 1984.
- A. Gonzalez, M. Icen, H. M. Kremers et al., “Mortality trends in rheumatoid arthritis: the role of rheumatoid factor,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 1009–1014, 2008.
- T. Kishimoto, S. Ando, K. Numazaki, K. Ouchi, T. Yamazaki, and C. Nakahama, “Assay of Chlamydia pneumoniae-specific IgM antibodies by ELISA method-reduction of non-specific reaction and resetting of serological criteria by measuring IgM antibodies-,” Japanese Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 260–264, 2009.
- L. J. Kricka, “Human anti-animal antibody interferences in immunological assays,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 942–956, 1999.
- A. Bonetti, C. Monica, C. Bonaguri et al., “Interference by heterophilic antibodies in immunoassays: wrong increase of myoglobin values,” Acta Biomedica de l'Ateneo Parmense, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 140–143, 2008.
- J. Bjerner and K. Nustad, “Heterophilic antibodies—a source of analytical interference,” Norsk Epidemiologi, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 29–33, 2006.
- W. de Jager and G. T. Rijkers, “Solid-phase and bead-based cytokine immunoassay: a comparison,” Methods, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 294–303, 2006.
- J. Hermida and J. C. Tutor, “Falsely increased blood tacrolimus concentrations using the ACMIA assay due to circulating endogenous antibodies in a liver transplant recipient: a tentative approach to obtaining reliable results,” Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 269–272, 2009.
- P. D. Papapetrou, A. Polymeris, H. Karga, and G. Vaiopoulos, “Heterophilic antibodies causing falsely high serum calcitonin values,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 919–923, 2006.
- W. Pedrosa and L. Teixeira, “Interference of heterophilic antibodies with free prostate-specific antigen in the Beckman-Coulter (Unicel DxI) assay, inverting the free/total prostate-specific antigen ratio,” Annals of Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 344–345, 2009.
- L. M. Boscato and M. C. Stuart, “Incidence and specificity of interference in two-site immunoassays,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 1491–1495, 1986.
- H. Kokkonen, I. Söderström, J. Rocklöv, G. Hallmans, K. Lejon, and S. R. Dahlqvist, “Up-regulation of cytokines and chemokines predates the onset of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 383–391, 2010.
- H. J. van den Ham, W. de Jager, J. W. J. Bijlsma, B. J. Prakken, and R. J. de Boer, “Differential cytokine profiles in juvenile idiopathic arthritis subtypes revealed by cluster analysis,” Rheumatology, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 899–905, 2009.
- M. L. Nowlan, E. Drewe, H. Bulsara et al., “Systemic cytokine levels and the effects of etanercept in TNF receptor-associated periodic syndrome (TRAPS) involving a C33Y mutation in TNFRSF1A,” Rheumatology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2006.
- G. Husby, J. T. Gran, and A. Johannessen, “A study of IgM rheumatoid factors in a middle-aged population of Northern Norway,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 53, supplement, article 121, 1984.
- W. De Jager, B. J. Prakken, J. W. J. Bijlsma, W. Kuis, and G. T. Rijkers, “Improved multiplex immunoassay performance in human plasma and synovial fluid following removal of interfering heterophilic antibodies,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 300, no. 1-2, pp. 124–135, 2005.
- T. L. Moore, R. W. Dorner, P. W. Sheridan, and J. Zuckner, “Precipitation of 19S IgM rheumatoid factor-IgG circulating immune complexes in patients with juvenile arthritis by polyethylene glycol and separation by immobilized protein A,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 247–252, 1984.
- P. Faaber, L. A. M. van den Bersselaar, L. van de Putte, and W. B. van den Berg, “Circulating immune complexes and rheumatoid arthritis: the induction of immune complex formation between rheumatoid factor and IgG by polyethylene glycol,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1304–1309, 1989.
- T. L. Moore, R. W. Dorner, and J. Zuckner, “19S IgM rheumatoid factor-7S IgG rheumatoid factor immune complexes isolated in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 465–470, 1986.
- M. Digeon, M. Laver, J. Riza, and J. F. Bach, “Detection of circulating immune complexes in human sera by simplified assays with polyethylene glycol,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 165–183, 1977.
- F. C. Arnett, S. M. Edworthy, D. A. Bloch et al., “The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 315–324, 1988.
- K. L. Kellar, R. R. Kalwar, K. A. Dubois, D. Crouse, W. D. Chafin, and B. E. Kane, “Multiplexed fluorescent bead-based immunoassays for quantitation of human cytokines in serum and culture supernatants,” Cytometry, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 27–36, 2001.
- J. Dasso, J. Lee, H. Bach, and R. G. Mage, “A comparison of ELISA and flow microsphere-based assays for quantification of immunoglobulins,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 263, no. 1-2, pp. 23–33, 2002.
- H. R. Kim, K. W. Kim, S. Y. Yoon, S. H. Kim, and S. H. Lee, “Serum pro-hepcidin could reflect disease activity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of Korean medical science, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 348–352, 2010.
- G. G. Ristic, T. Lepic, B. Glisic et al., “Rheumatoid arthritis is an independent risk factor for increased carotid intima-media thickness: impact of anti-inflammatory treatment,” Rheumatology, vol. 49, no. 6, Article ID kep456, pp. 1076–1081, 2010.
- P. Faaber, L. A. M. van den Bersselaar, L. B. A. van de Putte, and W. B. van den Berg, “Immune complex formation between IgM rheumatoid factor and IgG generated by hyaluronic acid,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1521–1527, 1989.