- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 751593, 7 pages
Popliteal Cysts in Paediatric Patients: Clinical Characteristics and Imaging Features on Ultrasound and MRI
1Department of Paediatric Radiology, Institute of Radiology, University Hospital Wuerzburg, 97080 Wuerzburg, Germany
2Department of Paediatrics, University Hospital Wuerzburg, 97080 Wuerzburg, Germany
Received 25 October 2010; Revised 18 February 2011; Accepted 9 March 2011
Academic Editor: Alejandro Balsa
Copyright © 2011 Henning Neubauer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. M. Baker, “On the formation of synovial cysts in the leg in connection with disease of the knee-joint,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 13, pp. 245–261, 1877.
- D. L. Janzen, C. G. Peterfy, J. R. Forbes, P. F. J. Tirman, and H. K. Genant, “Cystic lesions around the knee joint: MR imaging findings,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 163, no. 1, pp. 155–161, 1994.
- R. Seil, S. Rupp, P. Jochum, O. Schofer, B. Mischo, and D. Kohn, “Prevalence of popliteal cysts in children. A sonographic study and review of the literature,” Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, vol. 119, no. 1-2, pp. 73–75, 1999.
- M. De Maeseneer, C. Debaere, B. Desprechins, and M. Osteaux, “Popliteal cysts in children: prevalence, appearance and associated findings at MR imaging,” Pediatric Radiology, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 605–609, 1999.
- A. R. Soslow, “Popliteal cysts in a pediatric patient,” Annals of Emergency Medicine, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 588–591, 1987.
- I. S. Szer, M. Klein-Gitelman, B. A. DeNardo, et al., “Ultrasonography in the study of prevalence and clinical evolution of popliteal cysts in children with knee effusions,” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 19, pp. 458–462, 1992.
- P. G. Lindgren and R. Willen, “Gastrocnemio-semimembranosus bursa and its relation to the knee joint. I. Anatomy and histology,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 497–512, 1977.
- R. J. Touloukian, “Popliteal cysts in childhood,” Surgery, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 629–632, 1971.
- J. Roth, I. Scheer, S. Kraft, R. Keitzer, and T. Riebel, “Uncommon synovial cysts in children,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 165, no. 3, pp. 178–181, 2006.
- T. H. Helbich, M. Breitenseher, S. Trattnig, S. Nehrer, L. Erlacher, and F. Kainberger, “Sonomorphologic variants of popliteal cysts,” Journal of Clinical Ultrasound, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 171–176, 1998.
- M. Cellerini, S. Salti, S. Trapani, G. D'Elia, F. Falcini, and N. Villari, “Correlation between clinical and ultrasound assessment of the knee in children with mono-articular or pauci-articular juvenile rheumatoid arthritis,” Pediatric Radiology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 117–123, 1999.
- D. Sureda, S. Quiroga, C. Arnal, M. Boronat, J. Andreu, and L. Casas, “Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis of the knee: evaluation with US,” Radiology, vol. 190, no. 2, pp. 403–406, 1994.
- R. M. Rennebohm, R. B. Towbin, W. E. Crowe, and J. E. Levinson, “Popliteal cysts in juvenile rheumatoid arthritis,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 123–125, 1983.
- T. H. Magee, L. S. Segal, B. Ostrov, B. Groh, and K. L. Vanderhave, “Lyme disease presenting as popliteal cyst in children,” Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 725–727, 2006.
- P. L. Meehan and T. Daftari, “Pigmented villonodular synovitis presenting as a popliteal cyst in a child. A case report,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 593–595, 1994.
- A. E. Good, “Rheumatoid arthritis, Baker's cyst and “thrombophlebitis”,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 7, pp. 56–64, 1964.
- T. T. Miller, R. B. Staron, T. Koenigsberg, T. L. Levin, and F. Feldman, “MR imaging of Baker cysts: association with internal derangement, effusion, and degenerative arthropathy,” Radiology, vol. 201, no. 1, pp. 247–250, 1996.
- E. E. Ward, J. A. Jacobson, D. P. Fessell, C. W. Hayes, and M. Van Holsbeeck, “Sonographic detection of Baker's cysts: comparison with MR imaging,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 176, no. 2, pp. 373–380, 2001.
- E. B. MacMahon, “Baker's cyst in children: is surgery really indicated?” The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 55-A, p. 1311, 1973.