- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 765624, 8 pages
The Roles of Interleukin-6 in the Pathogenesis of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Product Research Department, Fuji-Gotemba Research Laboratories, Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., 1-135 Komakado, Gotemba, Shizuoka 412-8513, Japan
Received 21 December 2010; Revised 15 February 2011; Accepted 22 March 2011
Academic Editor: Burkhard Leeb
Copyright © 2011 Misato Hashizume and Masahiko Mihara. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [58 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Sergey P. Oranskiy, Ludmila N. Yeliseyeva, Anna V. Tsanaeva, and Nadezhda V. Zaytseva, “Body composition and serum levels of adiponectin, vascular endothelial growth factor, and interleukin-6 in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Croatian Medical Journal, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 350–356, 2012.
- K C B Chaves, J P S Peron, R Chammas, L T Turaça, J B Pesquero, M S Braga, K Foguer, N Schor, and M H Bellini, “Endostatin gene therapy stimulates upregulation of ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 in a metastatic renal cell carcinoma model,” Cancer Gene Therapy, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 558–565, 2012.
- Susanne Schulz, Axel Schlitt, Andrea Lutze, Sandra Lischewski, Tim Seifert, Tanya Dudakliewa, Robert Gawe, Karl Werdan, Britt Hofmann, Christiane Gläser, Hans-Günter Schaller, and Stefan Reichert, “The importance of genetic variants in TNFα for periodontal disease in a cohort of coronary patients,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 699–706, 2012.
- Javier Rueda-Gotor, Miguel A González-Gay, and Ricardo Blanco, “Tocilizumab for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis,” Clinical Practice, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 255–268, 2012.
- Mohsen H Elshahaly, Gillian Wheater, Stephen P Tuck, Harish K Datta, and Jacob M van Laar, “The role of B cells in bone turnover in rheumatoid arthritis,” International Journal of Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 167–177, 2012.
- Louise Henningsson, Tove Eneljung, Pernilla Jirholt, Sara Tengvall, Ulf Lidberg, Wim B. van den Berg, Fons A. van de Loo, and Inger Gjertsson, “Disease-Dependent Local IL-10 Production Ameliorates Collagen Induced Arthritis in Mice,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 11, 2012.
- Cecilia Valeria Perez, Cristian Marcelo Sobarzo, Patricia Veronica Jacobo, Eliana Herminia Pellizzari, Selva Beatriz Cigorraga, Berta Denduchis, and Livia Lustig, “Loss of Occludin Expression and Impairment of Blood-Testis Barrier Permeability in Rats with Autoimmune Orchitis: Effect of Interleukin 6 on Sertoli Cell Tight Junctions,” Biology Of Reproduction, vol. 87, no. 5, 2012.
- Atsushi Ogata, Atsushi Kumanogoh, and Toshio Tanaka, “Pathological Role of Interleukin-6 in Psoriatic Arthritis,” Arthritis, vol. 2012, pp. 1–6, 2012.
- Marshall L. R. Davis, Kaleb Michaud, Harlan Sayles, Doyt L. Conn, Larry W. Moreland, S. Louis Bridges, and Ted R. Mikuls, “Associations of Alcohol Use with Radiographic Disease Progression in African Americans with Recent-onset Rheumatoid Arthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1498–1504, 2013.
- Menha Swellam, Khadiga M. Abu Gabal, and Samar Samir Youssef, “Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist gene polymorphism and hepcidin in rheumatoid arthritis: Correlations with clinical and laboratory indices of disease activity,” IUBMB Life, 2013.
- N. Narkbunnam, J. Sun, G. Hu, F.-C. Lin, T. A. Bateman, M. Mihara, and P. E. Monahan, “IL-6 receptor antagonist as adjunctive therapy with clotting factor replacement to protect against bleeding-induced arthropathy in hemophilia,” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 881–893, 2013.
- Dong-Gun Lee, Jung-Won Woo, Seung-Ki Kwok, Mi-La Cho, and Sung-Hwan Park, “MRP8 promotes Th17 differentiation via upregulation of IL-6 production by fibroblast-like synoviocytes in rheumatoid arthritis,” Experimental & Molecular Medicine, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. e20, 2013.
- Md Yuzaiful Md Yusof, and Paul Emery, “Targeting Interleukin-6 in Rheumatoid Arthritis,” Drugs, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 341–356, 2013.
- Jian Jin, Liang Wang, Xiao-kai Wang, Ping-lin Lai, Min-jun Huang, Da-di Jin, Zhao-ming Zhong, Jian-ting Chen, and Xiao-chun Bai, “Risedronate inhibits bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell adipogenesis and switches RANKL/OPG ratio to impair osteoclast differentiation,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 180, no. 1, pp. e21–e29, 2013.
- M. Samimi, F. Lauferon, B. Hüttenberger, L. Vaillant, P. Goupille, and L. Machet, “Ulcérations buccales aphtoïdes persistantes associées au tocilizumab : deux cas,” Annales de Dermatologie et de Vénéréologie, vol. 140, no. 2, pp. 120–124, 2013.
- T. Witte, “Methotrexat als Kombinationspartner bei TNF-Inhibitoren und Tocilizumab,” Zeitschrift für Rheumatologie, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 279–286, 2013.
- Zhi-feng Wei, Xiao-lan Jiao, Ting Wang, Qian Lu, Yu-feng Xia, Zheng-tao Wang, Qing-long Guo, Gui-xin Chou, and Yue Dai, “Norisoboldine alleviates joint destruction in rats with adjuvant-induced arthritis by reducing RANKL, IL-6, PGE2, and MMP-13 expression,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 403–413, 2013.
- Christoph Boehler, Helga Radner, Josef S. Smolen, and Daniel Aletaha, “Serological changes in the course of traditional and biological disease modifying therapy of rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals Of The Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 241–244, 2013.
- T Nagasaki, M Hara, H Nakanishi, H Takahashi, M Sato, and H Takeyama, “Interleukin-6 released by colon cancer-associated fibroblasts is critical for tumour angiogenesis: anti-interleukin-6 receptor antibody suppressed angiogenesis and inhibited tumour–stroma interaction,” British Journal of Cancer, 2013.
- Shoichi Kaneshiro, Kosuke Ebina, Kenrin Shi, Chikahisa Higuchi, Makoto Hirao, Michio Okamoto, Kota Koizumi, Tokimitsu Morimoto, Hideki Yoshikawa, and Jun Hashimoto, “IL-6 negatively regulates osteoblast differentiation through the SHP2/MEK2 and SHP2/Akt2 pathways in vitro,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism, 2013.
- Ryuichi Kunii, Masaru Yamaguchi, Yasuhiro Tanimoto, Masaki Asano, Kunihiko Yamada, Takemi Goseki, and Kazutaka Kasai, “Role of interleukin-6 in orthodontically induced inflammatory root resorption in humans,” The Korean Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 294, 2013.
- Patrick H. Dessein, Ahmed Solomon, Angela J. Woodiwiss, Gavin R. Norton, Linda Tsang, and Miguel A. Gonzalez-Gay, “Marked Independent Relationship between Circulating Interleukin-6 Concentrations and Endothelial Activation in Rheumatoid Arthritis,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2013, pp. 1–10, 2013.
- Addolorata Corrado, Anna Neve, Nicola Maruotti, and Francesco Paolo Cantatore, “Bone Effects of Biologic Drugs in Rheumatoid Arthritis,” Clinical and Developmental Immunology, vol. 2013, pp. 1–7, 2013.
- Ziv Rosman, Yehuda Shoenfeld, and Gisele Zandman-Goddard, “Biologic therapy for autoimmune diseases: an update,” BMC Medicine, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 88, 2013.
- Yi-fan Dai, Tian-yu Chen, Xiao-chun Bai, Xiao-chen Zheng, Ping-lin Lai, Jia Liu, Liang Wang, Jian Chen, Da-di Jin, Zhong-min Zhang, Min-jun Huang, Si Qin, and Cheng-liang Yang, “Endogenous n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) mitigate ovariectomy-induced bone loss by attenuating bone marrow adipogenesis in FAT1 transgenic mice,” Drug Design Development And Therapy, vol. 7, pp. 545–552, 2013.
- Israa Al-Shakarchi, Nicola J. Gullick, and David L. Scott, “Current perspectives on tocilizumab for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: a review,” Patient Preference And Adherence, vol. 7, pp. 653–666, 2013.
- Misato Hashizume, Seng-Lai Tan, Junichi Takano, Kazunori Ohsawa, Ikuo Hasada, Akira Hanasaki, Ichiro Ito, Masahiko Mihara, and Keiichiro Nishida, “Tocilizumab, A Humanized Anti-IL-6R Antibody, as an Emerging Therapeutic Option for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Molecular and Cellular Mechanistic Insights,” International Reviews of Immunology, pp. 140806053603007, 2014.
- Jeffrey R. Curtis, Susana Perez-Gutthann, Samy Suissa, Pavel Napalkov, Natasha Singh, Liz Thompson, and Benjamin Porter-Brown, “Tocilizumab in rheumatoid arthritis: A case study of safety evaluations of a large postmarketing data set from multiple data sources,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, 2014.
- M. Yamashita, K. Ukibe, H. Uenishi, T. Hosoya, F. Sakai, and Y. Kadooka, “Lactobacillus helveticus SBT2171, a cheese starter, regulates proliferation and cytokine production of immune cells,” Journal of Dairy Science, 2014.
- Ping-Wei Zhao, Wei-Guang Jiang, Li Wang, Zhen-Yu Jiang, Yu-Xing Shan, and Yan-Fang Jiang, “Plasma Levels of IL-37 and Correlation with TNF-alpha, IL-17A, and Disease Activity during DMARD Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 5, 2014.
- Amrita Sarkar, Poulami Datta, Asok Kumar Das, and Antony Gomes, “Anti-rheurnatoid and anti-oxidant activity of horneopathic Guaiacum officinale in an animal model,” Homeopathy, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 133–138, 2014.
- Guo Tian, Jiao-Long Li, De-Guang Wang, and Dian Zhou, “Targeting IL-10 in Auto-immune Diseases,” Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2014.
- Samir M. Abdelmagid, Mary F. Barbe, and Fayez F. Safadi, “Role of inflammation in the aging bone,” Life Sciences, 2014.
- Alejandro Souto, Eva Salgado, José Ramón Maneiro, Antonio Mera, Loreto Carmona, and Juan J. Gómez-Reino, “Lipid Profile Changes in Patients With Chronic Inflammatory Arthritis Treated With Biologic Agents and Tofacitinib in Randomized Clinical Trials: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis,” Arthritis & Rheumatology, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 117–127, 2014.
- Chunyan He, Xiaohui Chen, Chunyang Zhao, Yanyan Qie, Zhaowei Yan, and Xueming Zhu, “Eleutheroside E Ameliorates Arthritis Severity in Collagen-Induced Arthritis Mice Model by Suppressing Inflammatory Cytokine Release,” Inflammation, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1533–1543, 2014.
- Yinglan Zhao, Fang Liu, Yao Liu, Dan Zhou, Qing Dai, and Songqing Liu, “Anti-Arthritic Effect of Chebulanin on Collagen-Induced Arthritis in Mice,” Plos One, vol. 10, no. 9, 2015.
- Z. Reyes-Castillo, C. A. Palafox-Sánchez, I. Parra-Rojas, G. E. Martínez-Bonilla, S. del Toro-Arreola, M. G. Ramírez-Dueñas, G. Ocampo-Bermudes, and José F. Muñoz-Valle, “Comparative analysis of autoantibodies targeting peptidylarginine deiminase type 4, mutated citrullinated vimentin and cyclic citrullinated peptides in rheumatoid arthritis: associations with cytokine profiles, clinical and genetic features,” Clinical & Experimental Immunology, 2015.
- Jack Hutcheson, “,” Cytokine, 2015.
- Annamaria Iagnocco, Annacarla Finucci, Fulvia Ceccarelli, Carlo Perricone, Vasilia Iorgoveanu, and Guido Valesini, “Power Doppler ultrasound monitoring of response to anti-tumour necrosis factor alpha treatment in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Rheumatology, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 1890–1896, 2015.
- Gamal Ramadan, Nadia M. El-Beih, Roba M. Talaat, and Eman A. Abd El-Ghffar, “Anti-inflammatory activity of green versus black tea aqueous extract in a rat model of human rheumatoid arthritis,” International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases, 2015.
- Hannah Störch, Birgit Zimmermann, Bastian Resch, Lars-Oliver Tykocinski, Babak Moradi, Patrick Horn, Ziya Kaya, Norbert Blank, Stefan Rehart, Marc Thomsen, Hanns-Martin Lorenz, Elena Neumann, and Theresa Tretter, “Activated human B cells induce inflammatory fibroblasts with cartilage-destructive properties and become functionally suppressed in return,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 924–932, 2015.
- Sharon S. Evans, Elizabeth A. Repasky, and Daniel T. Fisher, “Fever and the thermal regulation of immunity: the immune system feels the heat,” Nature Reviews Immunology, 2015.
- Takeshi Sainoh, Sumihisa Orita, Masayuki Miyagi, Yoshihiro Sakuma, Kazuyo Yamauchi, Miyako Suzuki, Go Kubota, Yasuhiro Oikawa, Kazuhide Inage, Jun Sato, Kazuki Fujimoto, Yasuhiro Shiga, Gen Inoue, Yasuchika Aoki, Kazuhisa Takahashi, and Seiji Ohtori, “Interleukin-6 and interleukin-6 receptor expression, localization, and involvement in pain-sensing neuron activation in a mouse intervertebral disc injury model,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 2015.
- Özgül Muştu Koryürek, and Göknur Kalkan, “A new alternative therapy in dermatology: tocilizumab,” Cutaneous and Ocular Toxicology, pp. 1–8, 2015.
- Maarten Van Roy, Cedric Ververken, Els Beirnaert, Sven Hoefman, Joost Kolkman, Michel Vierboom, Elia Breedveld, Bert ‘t Hart, Sofie Poelmans, Lieselot Bontinck, Alex Hemeryck, Sandy Jacobs, Judith Baumeister, and Hans Ulrichts, “The preclinical pharmacology of the high affinity anti-IL-6R Nanobody® ALX-0061 supports its clinical development in rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis Research & Therapy, vol. 17, no. 1, 2015.
- Yao Liu, Jun Lv, Bo Yang, Fang Liu, Zhiqiang Tian, Yongqing Cai, Di Yang, Jing Ouyang, Fengjun Sun, Ying Shi, and Peiyuan Xia, “Lycium barbarum polysaccharide attenuates type II collagen-induced arthritis in mice,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2015.
- Robby Engelmann, Ni Wang, Christian Kneitz, and Brigitte Mueller-Hilke, “Bone resorption correlates with the frequency of CD5(+) B cells in the blood of patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Rheumatology, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 545–553, 2015.
- Takeshi Sainoh, Sumihisa Orita, Masayuki Miyagi, Gen Inoue, Kazuyo Yamauchi, Miyako Suzuki, Yoshihiro Sakuma, Go Kubota, Yasuhiro Oikawa, Kazuhide Inage, Jun Sato, Yukio Nakata, Yasuchika Aoki, Kazuhisa Takahashi, and Seiji Ohtori, “Single intradiscal injection of the interleukin-6 receptor antibody tocilizumab provides short-term relief of discogenic low back pain; prospective comparative cohort study,” Journal of Orthopaedic Science, 2015.
- Patricia R. Wardwell, Martin B. Forstner, and Rebecca A. Bader, “Investigation of the cytokine response to NF-κB decoy oligonucleotide coated polysaccharide based nanoparticles in rheumatoid arthritis in vitro models,” Arthritis Research & Therapy, vol. 17, no. 1, 2015.
- Dan Li, Zhitao Xiao, Gang Wang, and Xianji Song, “Knockdown of ADAM10 inhibits migration and invasion of fibroblast-like synoviocytes in rheumatoid arthritis,” Molecular Medicine Reports, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 5517–5523, 2015.
- Torsten Witte, “Methotrexate as combination partner of TNF inhibitors and tocilizumab. What is reasonable from an immunological viewpoint?,” Clinical Rheumatology, 2015.
- Ulrich Grosse, Jörg Henes, Gerd Grözinger, Ina Kötter, Petros Martirosian, Frank Eibofner, Fritz Schick, and Marius Horger, “Anatomic-Functional (Perfusion-Based) Magnetic Resonance Imaging Follow-up in Patients With Rheumatoid Arthritis Treated With Anti–Interleukin 6 Antibodies,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 75–82, 2015.
- Małgorzata Gizińska, Radosław Rutkowski, Wojciech Romanowski, Jacek Lewandowski, and Anna Straburzyńska-Lupa, “Effects of Whole-Body Cryotherapy in Comparison with Other Physical Modalities Used with Kinesitherapy in Rheumatoid Arthritis,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2015, pp. 1–7, 2015.
- Mohammed Hammoudeh, Adel Al Awadhi, Eman Haji Hasan, Maassoumeh Akhlaghi, Arman Ahmadzadeh, and Bahar Sadeghi Abdollahi, “Safety, Tolerability, and Efficacy of Tocilizumab in Rheumatoid Arthritis: An Open-Label Phase 4 Study in Patients from the Middle East,” International Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 2015, pp. 1–7, 2015.
- Shumei Kato, Scott M. Lippman, Keith T. Flaherty, and Razelle Kurzrock, “The Conundrum of Genetic “Drivers” in Benign Conditions,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 108, no. 8, pp. djw036, 2016.
- Betul Eser, and Nilay Sahin, “Evaluation of tool-like receptor-2 and 4 and interleukin-6 gene expressions in Turkish rheumatoid arthritis patients,” Clinical Rheumatology, 2016.
- Sarbjit Singh, Veeraswamy Gajulapati, Kondaji Gajulapati, Ja-Il Goo, Yeon-Hwa Park, Hwa Young Jung, Sung Yoon Lee, Jung Ho Choi, Young Kook Kim, Kyeong Lee, Tae-Hwe Heo, and Yongseok Choi, “Structure-activity relationship study of a series of novel oxazolidinone derivatives as IL-6 signaling blockers,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 1282–1286, 2016.
- Ki-Jeong Park, Hye-Mi Jin, Young-Nan Cho, Jeong-Hwa Kang, Hyun-Ju Jung, Ji-Hyoun Kang, Ji-Eun Kim, Yi-Rang Yim, Jeong-Won Lee, Kyung-Eun Lee, Dong-Jin Park, Tae-Jong Kim, Shin-Seok Lee, Seung-Jung Kee, and Yong-Wook Park, “Clinical and Hematological Effects of Tocilizumab on Serum Hepcidin, Anemia Response and Disease Activity in Patients with Active Rheumatoid Arthritis,” Journal of Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 37, 2016.