- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 185208, 6 pages
The Influence of Obesity on Patient Reported Outcomes following Total Knee Replacement
1Rehabilitation Sciences, Queen Margaret University, Queen Margaret University Drive, Musselburgh, East Lothian, EH21 6UU, UK
2Orthopaedic Department, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, 51, Little France Crescent, Old Dalkeith Road, Edinburgh, Midlothian, EH16 4SA, UK
Received 31 May 2012; Accepted 12 September 2012
Academic Editor: Bruce M. Rothschild
Copyright © 2012 Vandana Ayyar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. M. Callahan, B. G. Drake, D. A. Heck, and R. S. Dittus, “Patient outcomes following tricompartmental total knee replacement: a meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 271, no. 17, pp. 1349–1357, 1994.
- D. A. Heck, R. L. Robinson, C. M. Partridge, R. M. Lubitz, and D. A. Freund, “Patient outcomes after knee replacement,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 356, pp. 93–110, 1998.
- Scottish Arthroplasty Project: Annual Report, http://www.arthro.scot.nhs.uk/Reports/Scottish_Arthroplasty_Project_Report_2009.pdf, 2010.
- R. D. Crowninshield, A. G. Rosenberg, and S. M. Sporer, “Changing demographics of patients with total joint replacement,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 443, pp. 266–272, 2006.
- World Health Organisation, WHO information sheets, http://www.who.int/topics/obesity/en/, 2006.
- R. Winiarsky, P. Earth, and P. Lotke, “Total knee arthroplasty in morbidly obese patients,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 80, no. 12, pp. 1770–1774, 1998.
- A. Miric, M. Lim, B. Kahn, T. Rozenthal, D. Bombick, and T. P. Sculco, “Perioperative morbidity following total knee arthroplasty among obese patients.,” The Journal of Knee Surgery, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 77–83, 2002.
- K. J. Mulhall, H. M. Ghomrawi, W. Mihalko, Q. Cui, and K. J. Saleh, “Adverse effects of increased body mass index and weight on survivorship of total knee arthroplasty and subsequent outcomes of revision TKA.,” The Journal of Knee Surgery, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 199–204, 2007.
- A. K. Amin, J. T. Patton, R. E. Cook, and I. J. Brenkel, “Does obesity influence the clinical outcome at five years following total knee replacement for osteoarthritis?” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 335–340, 2006.
- J. Benjamin, T. Tucker, and P. Ballesteros, “Is obesity a contraindication to bilateral total knee arthroplasties under one anesthetic?” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 392, pp. 190–195, 2001.
- R. G. Deshmukh, J. H. Hayes, and I. M. Pinder, “Does body weight influence outcome after total knee arthroplasty? A 1-year analysis,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 315–319, 2002.
- J. J. Jiganti, W. M. Goldstein, and C. S. Williams, “A comparison of the perioperative morbidity in total joint arthroplasty in the obese and nonobese patient,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 289, pp. 175–179, 1993.
- D. D. M. Spicer, D. L. Pomeroy, W. E. Badenhausen et al., “Body mass index as a predictor of outcome in total knee replacement,” International Orthopaedics, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 246–249, 2001.
- B. Stickles, L. Phillips, W. T. Brox, B. Owens, and W. L. Lanzer, “Defining the relationship between obesity and total joint arthroplasty,” Obesity Research, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 219–223, 2001.
- R. S. Namba, L. Paxton, D. C. Fithian, and M. L. Stone, “Obesity and perioperative morbidity in total hip and total knee arthroplasty patients,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 20, supplement 3, pp. 46–50, 2005.
- J. R. H. Foran, M. A. Mont, A. D. Rajadhyaksha, L. C. Jones, G. Etienne, and D. S. Hungerford, “Total knee arthroplasty in obese patients: a comparison with a matched control group,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 817–824, 2004.
- J. R. H. Foran, M. A. Mont, G. Etienne, L. C. Jones, and D. S. Hungerford, “The outcome of total knee arthroplasty in obese patients,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 86, no. 8, pp. 1609–1615, 2004.
- F. M. Griffin, G. R. Scuderi, J. N. Insall, and W. Colizza, “Total knee arthroplasty in patients who were obese with 10 years followup,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 356, pp. 28–33, 1998.
- R. J. Krushell and R. J. Fingeroth, “Primary total knee arthroplasty in morbidly obese patients. A 5- to 14-year follow-up study,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 22, no. 6, supplement 2, pp. 77–80, 2007.
- J. M. de Leeuw and R. N. Villar, “Obesity and quality of life after primary total knee replacement,” Knee, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 119–123, 1998.
- J. E. Stevens-Lapsley, S. C. Petterson, R. L. Mizner, and L. Snyder-Mackler, “Impact of body mass index on functional performance after total knee arthroplasty,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1104–1109, 2010.
- R. B. Bourne, R. W. McCalden, S. J. MacDonald, L. Mokete, and J. Guerin, “Influence of patient factors on TKA outcomes at 5 to 11 years followup,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 464, pp. 27–31, 2007.
- M. Nunez, L. Lozano, E. Nunez, S. Sastre, J. Luis del Val, and S. Suso, “Good quality of life in severely obese total knee replacement patients: a case-control study,” Obesity Surgery, pp. 1–6, 2010.
- J. Dawson, R. Fitzpatrick, D. Murray, and A. Carr, “Questionnaire on the perceptions of patients about total knee replacement,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 63–69, 1998.
- J. E. Ware, M. Kosinski, and S. D. Keller, “A 12-item short-form health survey: construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity,” Medical Care, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 220–233, 1996.
- D. M. Kennedy, P. W. Stratford, D. L. Riddle, S. E. Hanna, and J. D. Gollish, “Assessing recovery and establishing prognosis following total knee arthroplasty,” Physical Therapy, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 22–32, 2008.
- G. Hawker, J. Wright, P. Coyte et al., “Health-related quality of life after knee replacement. Results of the knee replacement patient outcomes research team study,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 163–173, 1998.
- M. A. Ritter, J. T. Wing, M. E. Berend, K. E. Davis, and J. B. Meding, “The clinical effect of gender on outcome of total knee arthroplasty,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 331–336, 2008.