- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 240376, 7 pages
The Effect of Hip Bracing on Gait in Patients with Medial Knee Osteoarthritis
Department of Physical Therapy, Quinnipiac University, Hamden, CT 06518, USA
Received 15 February 2012; Accepted 19 April 2012
Academic Editor: Changhai Ding
Copyright © 2012 David Wallace and Christa Barr. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. A. Oliveria, D. T. Felson, J. I. Reed, P. A. Cirillo, and A. M. Walker, “Incidence of symptomatic hand, hip, and knee osteoarthritis among patients in a health maintenance organization,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 1134–1141, 1995.
- J. M. Hootman and C. G. Helmick, “Projections of US prevalence of arthritis and associated activity limitations,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 226–229, 2006.
- L. E. Thorp, M. A. Wimmer, K. C. Foucher, D. R. Sumner, N. Shakoor, and J. A. Block, “The biomechanical effects of focused muscle training on medial knee loads in OA of the knee: a pilot, proof of concept study,” Journal of Musculoskeletal Neuronal Interactions, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 166–173, 2010.
- M. Fransen and S. McConnell, “Land-based exercise for osteoarthritis of the knee: a metaanalysis of randomized controlled trials,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1109–1117, 2009.
- B. W. Lim, G. Kemp, B. Metcalf et al., “The association of quadriceps strength with the knee adduction moment in medial knee osteoarthritis,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 451–458, 2009.
- A. E. Mikesky, S. A. Mazzuca, K. D. Brandt, S. M. Perkins, T. Damush, and K. A. Lane, “Effects of strength training on the incidence and progression of knee osteoarthritis,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 690–699, 2006.
- K. L. Bennell, M. A. Hunt, T. V. Wrigley, D. J. Hunter, and R. S. Hinman, “The effects of hip muscle strengthening on knee load, pain, and function in people with knee osteoarthritis: a protocol for a randomised, single-blind controlled trial,” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol. 8, article no. 121, 2007.
- A. Chang, K. Hayes, D. Dunlop et al., “Hip abduction moment and protection against medial tibiofemoral osteoarthritis progression,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 3515–3519, 2005.
- K. S. Al-Zahrani and A. M. O. Bakheit, “A study of the gait characteristics of patients with chronic osteoarthritis of the knee,” Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 275–280, 2002.
- H. S. Linley, E. A. Sled, E. G. Culham, and K. J. Deluzio, “A biomechanical analysis of trunk and pelvis motion during gait in subjects with knee osteoarthritis compared to control subjects,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1003–1010, 2010.
- A. Mündermann, C. O. Dyrby, and T. P. Andriacchi, “Secondary gait changes in patients with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis: increased load at the ankle, knee, and hip during walking,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 2835–2844, 2005.
- A. Mündermann, J. L. Asay, L. Mündermann, and T. P. Andriacchi, “Implications of increased medio-lateral trunk sway for ambulatory mechanics,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 165–170, 2008.
- R. S. Hinman, M. A. Hunt, M. W. Creaby, T. V. Wrigley, F. J. McManus, and K. L. Bennell, “Hip muscle weakness in individuals with medial knee osteoarthritis,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 1190–1193, 2010.
- E. A. Sled, L. Khoja, K. J. Deluzio, S. J. Olney, and E. G. Culham, “Effect of a home program of hip abductor exercises on knee joint loading, strength, function, and pain in people with knee osteoarthritis: a clinical trial,” Physical Therapy, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 895–904, 2010.
- N. Foroughi, R. M. Smith, A. K. Lange, M. K. Baker, M. A. Fiatarone Singh, and B. Vanwanseele, “Lower limb muscle strengthening does not change frontal plane moments in women with knee osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 167–174, 2011.
- M. A. Hunt, T. V. Wrigley, R. S. Hinman, and K. L. Bennell, “Individuals with severe knee osteoarthritis (OA) exhibit altered proximal walking mechanics compared with individuals with less severe OA and those without knee pain,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 62, no. 10, pp. 1426–1432, 2010.
- C. M. Powers, “The influence of abnormal hip mechanics on knee injury: a biomechanical perspective,” Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 42–51, 2010.
- K. L. Bennell, M. A. Hunt, T. V. Wrigley et al., “Hip strengthening reduces symptoms but not knee load in people with medial knee osteoarthritis and varus malalignment: a randomised controlled trial,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 621–628, 2010.
- J. Beaudreuil, S. Bendaya, M. Faucher et al., “Clinical practice guidelines for rest orthosis, knee sleeves, and unloading knee braces in knee osteoarthritis,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 629–636, 2009.
- T. Schmalz, E. Knopf, H. Drewitz, and S. Blumentritt, “Analysis of biomechanical effectiveness of valgus-inducing knee brace for osteoarthritis of knee,” Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 419–430, 2010.
- F. E. Pollo, J. C. Otis, S. I. Backus, R. F. Warren, and T. L. Wickiewicz, “Reduction of medial compartment loads with valgus bracing of the osteoarthritic knee,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 414–421, 2002.
- M. Toriyama, M. Deie, N. Shimada et al., “Effects of unloading bracing on knee and hip joints for patients with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 497–503, 2011.
- R. W. Brouwer, T. M. van Raaij, J. A. N. Verhaar, L. N. J. E. M. Coene, and S. M. A. Bierma-Zeinstra, “Brace treatment for osteoarthritis of the knee: a prospective randomized multi-centre trial,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 777–783, 2006.
- K. Briem and L. Snyder-Mackler, “Proximal gait adaptations in medial knee OA,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 78–83, 2009.
- M. A. Hunt, T. B. Birmingham, D. Bryant et al., “Lateral trunk lean explains variation in dynamic knee joint load in patients with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 591–599, 2008.
- R. D. A. Gaasbeek, B. E. Groen, B. Hampsink, R. J. van Heerwaarden, and J. Duysens, “Valgus bracing in patients with medial compartment osteoarthritis of the knee. A gait analysis study of a new brace,” Gait and Posture, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 3–10, 2007.
- T. E. Hewett, F. R. Noyes, S. D. Barber-Westin, and T. P. Heckmann, “Decrease in knee joint pain and increase in function in patients with medial compartment arthrosis: a prospective analysis of valgus bracing,” Orthopedics, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 131–140, 1998.
- B. P. Self, R. M. Greenwald, and D. S. Pflaste, “A biomechanical analysis of a medial unloading brace for osteoarthritis in the knee,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 191–197, 2000.
- A. Chang, D. Hurwitz, D. Dunlop et al., “The relationship between toe-out angle during gait and progression of medial tibiofemoral osteoarthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 66, no. 10, pp. 1271–1275, 2007.
- P. Ornetti, J. F. Maillefert, D. Laroche, C. Morisset, M. Dougados, and L. Gossec, “Gait analysis as a quantifiable outcome measure in hip or knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 421–425, 2010.
- J. D. Richards, J. Sanchez-Ballester, R. K. Jones, N. Darke, and B. N. Livingstone, “A comparison of knee braces during walking for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the medial compartment of the knee,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Series B, vol. 87, no. 7, pp. 937–939, 2005.