- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 698709, 6 pages
The Global Economic Cost of Osteoarthritis: How the UK Compares
MSK Lab, Imperial College, London W6 8RF, UK
Received 30 May 2012; Accepted 30 August 2012
Academic Editor: Charles J. Malemud
Copyright © 2012 A. Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. D. Woolf and B. Pfleger, “Burden of major musculoskeletal conditions,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 81, no. 9, pp. 646–656, 2003.
- C. J. L. Murray and A. D. Lopez, “Global mortality, disability, and the contribution of risk factors: global burden of disease study,” The Lancet, vol. 349, no. 9063, pp. 1436–1442, 1997.
- F. Xie, J. Thumboo, K. Y. Fong et al., “A study on indirect and intangible costs for patients with knee osteoarthritis in Singapore,” Value in Health, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 84–90, 2008.
- R. C. Lawrence, D. T. Felson, C. G. Helmick et al., “Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States. Part II,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 28–35, 2008.
- D. T. Felson, A. Naimark, and J. Anderson, “The prevalence of knee osteoarthritis in the elderly. The Framingham Osteoarthritis study,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 914–918, 1987.
- M. Lethbridge-Çejku, C. G. Helmick, and J. R. Popovic, “Hospitalizations for arthritis and other rheumatic conditions data from the 1997 National Hospital Discharge survey,” Medical Care, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 1367–1373, 2003.
- I. Rosemont, United States Bone and Joint Decade. The Burden of Musculoskeletal Diseases in the United States, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rosemont, Ill, USA, 2008.
- J. A. Buckwalter, C. Saltzman, and T. Brown, “The impact of osteoarthritis: implications for research,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, supplement 427, pp. S6–S15, 2004.
- H. Kotlarz, C. L. Gunnarsson, H. Fang, and J. A. Rizzo, “Osteoarthritis and absenteeism costs: evidence from US national survey data,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 263–268, 2010.
- S. Gupta, G. A. Hawker, A. Laporte, R. Croxford, and P. C. Coyte, “The economic burden of disabling hip and knee osteoarthritis (OA) from the perspective of individuals living with this condition,” Rheumatology, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 1531–1537, 2005.
- L. M. March and C. J. M. Bachmeier, “Economics of osteoarthritis: a global perspective,” Bailliere's Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 817–834, 1997.
- E. Loza, J. M. Lopez-Gomez, L. Abasolo, J. Maese, L. Carmona, and E. Batlle-Gualda, “Economic burden of knee and hip osteoarthritis in Spain,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 158–165, 2009.
- C. Le Pen, C. Reygrobellet, and I. Gérentes, “Financial cost of osteoarthritis in France: the “COART” France study,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 567–570, 2005.
- E. Levy, A. Ferme, D. Perocheau, and I. Bono, “Socioeconomic costs of osteoarthritis in France,” Revue du Rhumatisme, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 63S–67S, 1993.
- G. Leardini, F. Salaffi, R. Caporali, B. Canesi, L. Rovati, and R. Montanelli, “Direct and indirect costs of osteoarthritis of the knee,” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 699–706, 2004.
- J. Woo, E. Lau, C. S. Lau et al., “Socioeconomic impact of osteoarthritis in Hong Kong: utilization of health and social services, and direct and indirect costs,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 526–534, 2003.
- A. R. Council, 2002, Arthritis: The Big Picture, http://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Archive/Polls/arthritis.pdf.
- S. R. Pye, D. M. Reid, R. Smith et al., “Radiographic features of lumbar disc degeneration and self reported back pain,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 753–758, 2004.
- Royal College of General Practitioners—Birmingham Research Unit, “Annual prevalence report,” Tech. Rep., 2006.
- HES, http://www.hesonline.nhs.uk/Ease/servlet/ContentServer?siteID=1937&categoryID=203, 2011.
- L. Curtis, Unit Costs of Health and Social Care 2009, Personal Social Services Research Unit, The University of Kent, Kent, UK.
- N. J. Registry, 8th Annual Report. 2011.
- R. A. Moore and C. J. Phillips, “Cost of NSAID adverse effects to the UK national health service,” Journal of Medical Economics, vol. 2, pp. 45–55, 1999.
- P. Hamilton, M. Lemon, Field, and R. Issue, “Cost of total hip and knee arthroplasty in the UK. A comparison with the current reimbursement system in the NHS,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 91, supplement 1, article 112, 2009.
- H. Arthritis, Arthrtitis in the UK—the Key Facts, 2008.
- UK, D. F. W. and P., Disability Living Allowance—cases in payment Caseload (Thousands): Main Disabling Condition by Gender of claimant, http://22.214.171.124/100pc/dla/disabled/ccsex/a_carate_r_disabled_c_ccsex_nov07.html, 2007.
- Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Alliance. Standards of care for people with osteoarthritis, http://arma.uk.net/local-groups/care-documents/osteoarthritis/.
- D. C. Black, Working for a Healthier Tomorrow, Transaction, London, UK, 2008.
- F. Xie, J. Thumboo, and S. C. Li, “True difference or something else? Problems in cost of osteoarthritis studies,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 127–132, 2007.
- S. D. Ramsey, A. C. Spencer, T. D. Topolski, B. Belza, and D. L. Patrick, “Use of alternative therapies by older adults with osteoarthritis,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 222–227, 2001.