- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 713618, 6 pages
Pathological Role of Interleukin-6 in Psoriatic Arthritis
1Department of Respiratory Medicine, Allergy and Rheumatic Diseases, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
2Department of Immunopathology, WPI Immunology Frontier Research Center, Osaka University, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
3Department of Clinical Application of Biologics, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
Received 29 August 2012; Accepted 4 October 2012
Academic Editor: Ruben Burgos-Vargas
Copyright © 2012 Atsushi Ogata et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. H. Moll and V. Wright, “Psoriatic arthritis,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 55–78, 1973.
- R. M. Grossman, J. Krueger, D. Yourish et al., “Interleukin 6 is expressed in high levels of psoriatic skin and stimulates proliferation of cultured human keratinocytes,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 86, no. 16, pp. 6367–6371, 1989.
- P. Neuner, A. Urbanski, F. Trautinger et al., “Increased IL-6 production by monocytes and keratinocytes in patients with psoriasis,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 27–33, 1991.
- K. Turksen, T. Kupper, L. Degenstein, I. Williams, and E. Fuchs, “Interleukin 6: Insights to its function in skin by overexpression in transgenic mice,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 5068–5072, 1992.
- E. F. Wagner, H. B. Schonthaler, J. Guinea-Viniegra, and E. Tschachler, “Psoriasis: what we have learned from mouse models,” Nature Reviews Rheumatology, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 704–714, 2010.
- H. Mizutani, Y. Ohmoto, T. Mizutani, M. Murata, and M. Shimizu, “Role of increased production of monocytes TNF-α, IL-1β and IL-6 in psoriasis: relation to focal infection, disease activity and responses to treatments,” Journal of Dermatological Science, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 145–153, 1997.
- F. Atzeni, D. Ventura, A. Batticciotto, L. Boccassini, and P. Sarzi-Puttini, “Interleukin 6 blockade: tocilizumab in psoriatic arthritis,” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 89, pp. 97–99, 2012.
- T. Tanaka, A. Ogata, and M. Narazaki, “Tocilizumab for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis,” Expert Review of Clinical Immunology, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 843–854, 2010.
- T. Tanaka, Y. Kuwahara, Y. Shima et al., “Successful treatment of reactive arthritis with a humanized anti-interleukin-6 receptor antibody, tocilizumab,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 1762–1764, 2009.
- L. Brulhart, M. J. Nissen, P. Chevallier, and C. Gabay, “Tocilizumab in a patient with ankylosing spondylitis and Crohn's disease refractory to TNF antagonists,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 625–626, 2010.
- J. C. Henes, M. Horger, I. Guenaydin, L. Kanz, and I. Koetter, “Mixed response to tocilizumab for ankylosing spondylitis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 69, no. 12, pp. 2217–2218, 2010.
- D. Wendling, M. Bossert, and C. Prati, “Short-term effect of IL-6 inhibition in spondylarthritis,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 624–625, 2010.
- Y. Shima, T. Tomita, T. Ishii et al., “Tocilizumab, a humanized anti-interleukin-6 receptor antibody, ameliorated clinical symptoms and MRI findings of a patient with ankylosing spondylitis,” Modern Rheumatology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 436–439, 2011.
- J. D. Cohen, R. Ferreira, and C. Jorgensen, “Ankylosing spondylitis refractory to tumor necrosis factor blockade responds to tocilizumab,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 38, no. 7, p. 1527, 2011.
- J. Dudler and B. Aubry-Roziier, “Tocilizumab in axial spondylarthropathies: about 18 cases,” The Annals of The Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 70, supplement 3, p. 128, 2011.
- N. Del Castillo Piñol, L. Gossec, L. Sparsa, C. Roux, and M. Dougados, “Tocilizumab for treatment of refractory spondyloarthritis: report of 5 patients,” The Annals of The Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 70, supplement 3, p. 34, 2011.
- F. K. Lekpa, C. Poulain, D. Wendling, et al., “Is IL-6 an appropriate target to treat spondyloarthritis patients refractory to anti-TNF therapy? a multicentre retrospective observational study,” Arthritis Research & Therapy, vol. 14, no. 2, p. R53, 2012.
- J. Sieper, B. Porter-Brown, L. Thompson, O. Harari, and M. Dougados, “Tocilizumab (TCZ) is not effective for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis (AS): results of phase 2, international, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,” The Annals of The Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 71, supplement 3, p. 110, 2012.
- J. Sieper, R. D. Inman, S. Badalamenti, A. Radin, and J. Braun, “Sarilumab for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis: results of phase 2, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled, international study (ALIGN),” The Annals of The Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 71, supplement 3, p. 111, 2012.
- A. Ogata, N. Umegaki, I. Katayama, A. Kumanogoh, and T. Tanaka, “Psoriatic arthritis in two patients with an inadequate response to treatment with tocilizumab,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 85–87, 2012.
- S. Laurent, J. M. Le Parc, T. Clérici, M. Bréban, and E. Mahé, “Onset of psoriasis following treatment with tocilizumab,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 163, no. 6, pp. 1364–1365, 2010.
- D. Wendling, H. Letho-Gyselinck, X. Guillot, and C. Prati, “Psoriasis onset with tocilizumab treatment for rheumatoid arthritis,” The Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 39, no. 3, p. 657, 2012.
- P. Costello, B. Bresnihan, C. O'Farrelly, and O. Fitzgerald, “Predominance of CD8+ T lymphocytes in psoriatic arthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 1117–1124, 1999.
- O. FitzGerald and R. Winchester, “Psoriatic arthritis: from pathogenesis to therapy,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 11, no. 1, article no. 214, 2009.
- D. Kontoyiannis, M. Pasparakis, T. T. Pizarro, F. Cominelli, and G. Kollias, “Impaired on/off regulation of TNF biosynthesis in mice lacking TNF AU- rich elements: implications for joint and gut-associated immunopathologies,” Immunity, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 387–398, 1999.
- D. Kontoyiannis, G. Boulougouris, M. Manoloukos et al., “Genetic dissection of the cellular pathways and signaling mechanisms in modeled tumor necrosis factor-induced Crohn's-like inflammatory bowel disease,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 196, no. 12, pp. 1563–1574, 2002.
- P. Mease, M. C. Genovese, G. Gladstein et al., “Abatacept in the treatment of patients with psoriatic arthritis: results of a six-month, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase II trial,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 939–948, 2011.
- J. M. Kremer, R. Westhovens, M. Leon et al., “Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis by selective inhibition of T-cell activation with fusion protein CTLA4Ig,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 349, no. 20, pp. 1907–1915, 2003.
- F. A. Harding and J. P. Allison, “CD28-B7 interactions allow the induction of CD8+ cytotoxic T lymphocytes in the absence of exogenous help,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 177, no. 6, pp. 1791–1796, 1993.
- O. Boyman, H. P. Hefti, C. Conrad, B. J. Nickoloff, M. Suter, and F. O. Nestle, “Spontaneous development of psoriasis in a new animal model shows an essential role for resident T cells and tumor necrosis factor-α,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 199, no. 5, pp. 731–736, 2004.
- R. A. Clark, “Skin-resident T cells: the ups and downs of on site immunity,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 362–370, 2010.
- S. Maeda, Y. Hayami, T. Naniwa, and R. Ueda, “The Th17/IL-23 axis and natural immunity in psoriatic arthritis,” International Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 2012, Article ID 539683, 8 pages, 2012.
- H. Park, Z. Li, X. O. Yang et al., “A distinct lineage of CD4 T cells regulates tissue inflammation by producing interleukin 17,” Nature Immunology, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 1133–1141, 2005.
- M. A. Lowes, T. Kikuchi, J. Fuentes-Duculan et al., “Psoriasis vulgaris lesions contain discrete populations of Th1 and Th17 T cells,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 1207–1211, 2008.
- S. M. Sa, P. A. Valdez, J. Wu et al., “The effects of IL-20 subfamily cytokines on reconstituted human epidermis suggest potential roles in cutaneous innate defense and pathogenic adaptive immunity in psoriasis,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 178, no. 4, pp. 2229–2240, 2007.
- Y. Zheng, D. M. Danilenko, P. Valdez et al., “Interleukin-22, a TH17 cytokine, mediates IL-23-induced dermal inflammation and acanthosis,” Nature, vol. 445, no. 7128, pp. 648–651, 2007.
- J. R. Chan, W. Blumenschein, E. Murphy et al., “IL-23 stimulates epidermal hyperplasia via TNF and IL-20R2-dependent mechanisms with implications for psoriasis pathogenesis,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 203, no. 12, pp. 2577–2587, 2006.
- E. Bettelli, Y. Carrier, W. Gao et al., “Reciprocal developmental pathways for the generation of pathogenic effector TH17 and regulatory T cells,” Nature, vol. 441, no. 7090, pp. 235–238, 2006.
- D. D. O. 'Rielly and P. Rahman, “Genetics of susceptibility and treatment response in psoriatic arthritis,” Nature Reviews Rheumatology, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 718–732, 2011.
- R. Scarpa, A. Del Puente, C. Di Girolamo, G. Della Valle, E. Lubrano, and P. Oriente, “Interplay between environmental factors, articular involvement, and HLA-B27 in patients with psoriatic arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 78–79, 1992.
- E. Dika, F. Bardazzi, R. Balestri, and H. Maibach, “Environmental factors and psoriasis1,” Current Problems in Dermatology, vol. 35, pp. 118–135, 2007.
- C. Ritchlin, “Psoriatic disease—from skin to bone,” Nature Clinical Practice Rheumatology, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 698–706, 2007.
- I. Olivieri, A. Padula, S. D'Angelo, and R. Scarpa, “Role of trauma in psoriatic arthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 2085–2087, 2008.
- E. W. Rosenberg, P. W. Noah, and R. B. Skinner Jr, “Microorganisms and psoriasis,” Journal of the National Medical Association, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 305–310, 1994.
- C. Gota and L. Calabrese, “Induction of clinical autoimmune disease by therapeutic interferon-α,” Autoimmunity, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 511–518, 2003.
- M. Hashizume and M. Mihara, “The roles of interleukin-6 in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis, vol. 2011, Article ID 765624, 8 pages, 2011.
- T. Alonzi, E. Fattori, D. Lazzaro et al., “Interleukin 6 is required for the development of collagen-induced arthritis,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 187, no. 4, pp. 461–468, 1998.
- T. Kagari, H. Doi, and T. Shimozato, “The importance of IL-1β and TNF-α, and the noninvolvement of IL-6, in the development of monoclonal antibody-induced arthritis,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 169, no. 3, pp. 1459–1466, 2002.
- A. Ogata, T. Hirano, Y. Hishitani, and T. Tanaka, “Safety and efficacy of tocilizumab for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis,” Clinical Medicine Insights, vol. 5, pp. 27–42, 2012.
- R. Horai, S. Saijo, H. Tanioka et al., “Development of chronic inflammatory arthropathy resembling rheumatoid arthritis in interleukin 1 receptor antagonist-deficient mice,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 191, no. 2, pp. 313–320, 2000.
- A. Nakajima, T. Matsuki, M. Komine et al., “TNF, but not IL-6 and IL-17, is crucial for the development of T cell-independent psoriasis-like dermatitis in Il1rn−/− mice,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 185, no. 3, pp. 1887–1893, 2010.
- D. McGonagle, “Enthesitis: an autoinflammatory lesion linking nail and joint involvement in psoriatic disease,” Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 9–13, 2009.