- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 735472, 8 pages
Inflammation and Immune Response of Intra-Articular Serotype 2 Adeno-Associated Virus or Adenovirus Vectors in a Large Animal Model
1Comparative Orthopedic Research Laboratories, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, The Ohio State University, 1900 Coffey Road, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
2Gene Therapy Center, The Research Institute at Nationwide Children's Hospital, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
3Department of Pediatrics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
Received 23 August 2011; Accepted 5 October 2011
Academic Editor: Peter M. van der Kraan
Copyright © 2012 Akikazu Ishihara et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. C. Lawrence, C. G. Helmick, F. C. Arnett et al., “Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and selected musculoskeletal disorders in the United States,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 778–799, 1998.
- T. Oligino, S. Ghivizzani, D. Wolfe et al., “Intra-articular delivery of a herpes simplex virus IL-1Ra gene vector reduces inflammation in a rabbit model of arthritis,” Gene Therapy, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 1713–1720, 1999.
- J. D. Kay, E. Gouze, T. J. Oligino et al., “Intra-articular gene delivery and expression of interleukin-1Ra mediated by self-complementary adeno-associated virus,” Journal of Gene Medicine, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 605–614, 2009.
- C. P. Bramlage, C. Kaps, U. Ungethüm et al., “Modulatory effects of inflammation and therapy on GDF-5 expression in rheumatoid arthritis synovium,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 401–409, 2008.
- P. J. Mease, K. Hobbs, A. Chalmers et al., “Local delivery of a recombinant adenoassociated vector containing a tumour necrosis factor α antagonist gene in inflammatory arthritis: a phase 1 dose-escalation safety and tolerability study,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 68, no. 8, pp. 1247–1254, 2009.
- C. H. Evans, S. C. Ghivizzani, and P. D. Robbins, “Orthopedic gene therapy in 2008,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 231–244, 2009.
- B. J. Roessler, E. D. Allen, J. M. Wilson, J. W. Hartman, and B. L. Davidson, “Adenoviral-mediated gene transfer to rabbit synovium in vivo,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 1085–1092, 1993.
- S. C. Ghivizzani, E. R. Lechman, R. Kang et al., “Direct adenovirus-mediated gene transfer of interleukin 1 and tumor necrosis factor α soluble receptors to rabbit knees with experimental arthritis has local and distal anti-arthritic effects,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 4613–4618, 1998.
- S. Watanabe, T. Imagawa, G. P. Boivin, G. Gao, J. M. Wilson, and R. Hirsch, “Adeno-associated virus mediates long-term gene transfer and delivery of chondroprotective IL-4 to murine synovium,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 147–152, 2000.
- R. Y. Pan, S. L. Chen, X. Xiao, D. W. Liu, H. J. Peng, and Y. P. Tsao, “Therapy and prevention of arthritis by recombinant adeno-associated virus vector with delivery of interleukin-1 receptor antagonist,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 289–297, 2000.
- M. Ulrich-Vinther, M. R. Duch, K. Søballe, R. J. O'Keefe, E. M. Schwarz, and F. S. Pedersen, “In vivo gene delivery to articular chondrocytes mediated by an adeno-associated virus vector,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 726–734, 2004.
- K. S. Santangelo, S. A. Baker, G. Nuovo, J. Dyce, J. S. Bartlett, and A. L. Bertone, “Detectable reporter gene expression following transduction of adenovirus and adeno-associated virus serotype 2 vectors within full-thickness osteoarthritic and unaffected canine cartilage in vitro and unaffected guinea pig cartilage in vivo,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 149–155, 2010.
- G. R. Jayandharan, L. Zhong, B. Li, B. Kachniarz, and A. Srivastava, “Strategies for improving the transduction efficiency of single-stranded adeno-associated virus vectors in vitro and in vivo,” Gene Therapy, vol. 15, no. 18, pp. 1287–1293, 2008.
- L. R. Goodrich, V. W. Choi, B. A. Carbone, C. W. McIlwraith, and R. J. Samulski, “Ex vivo serotype-specific transduction of equine joint tissue by self-complementary AAV vectors,” Human Gene Therapy, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1697–1702, 2009.
- A. Ishihara, T. A. Zachos, J. S. Bartlett, and A. L. Bertone, “Evaluation of permissiveness and cytotoxic effects in equine chondrocytes, synovial cells, and stem cells in response to infection with adenovirus 5 vectors for gene delivery,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 67, no. 7, pp. 1145–1155, 2006.
- T. A. Zachos, K. M. Shields, and A. L. Bertone, “Gene-mediated osteogenic differentiation of stem cells by bone morphogenetic proteins-2 or -6,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1279–1291, 2006.
- M. D. Stachler, I. Chen, A. Y. Ting, and J. S. Bartlett, “Site-specific modification of AAV vector particles with biophysical probes and targeting ligands using biotin ligase,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 1467–1473, 2008.
- K. C. Backstrom, A. L. Bertone, E. R. Wisner, and S. E. Weisbrode, “Response of induced bone defects in horses to collagen matrix containing the human parathyroid hormone gene,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 1223–1232, 2004.
- A. Ishihara, A. L. Bertone, and P. J. Rajala-Schultz, “Association between subjective lameness grade and kinetic gait parameters in horses with experimentally induced forelimb lameness,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 66, no. 10, pp. 1805–1815, 2005.
- K. J. Livak and T. D. Schmittgen, “Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2-ΔΔCT method,” Methods, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 402–408, 2001.
- O. B. Betz, V. M. Betz, A. Nazarian et al., “Direct percutaneous gene delivery to enhance healing of segmental bone defects,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 355–365, 2006.
- A. K. Zaiss and D. A. Muruve, “Immune responses to adeno-associated virus vectors,” Current Gene Therapy, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 323–331, 2005.
- F. Mingozzi and K. A. High, “Immune responses to AAV in clinical trials,” Current Gene Therapy, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 316–324, 2007.
- K. M. Frank, D. K. Hogarth, J. L. Miller et al., “Investigation of the cause of death in a gene-therapy trial,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 2, pp. 161–169, 2009.
- N. A. Huttner, A. Girod, L. Perabo et al., “Genetic modifications of the adeno-associated virus type 2 capsid reduce the affinity and the neutralizing effects of human serum antibodies,” Gene Therapy, vol. 10, no. 26, pp. 2139–2147, 2003.
- G. P. Gao, M. R. Alvira, L. Wang, R. Calcedo, J. Johnston, and J. M. Wilson, “Novel adeno-associated viruses from rhesus monkeys as vectors for human gene therapy,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 18, pp. 11854–11859, 2002.
- M. Moskalenko, L. Chen, M. van Roey et al., “Epitope mapping of human anti-adeno-associated virus type 2 neutralizing antibodies: implications for gene therapy and virus structure,” Journal of Virology, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 1761–1766, 2000.
- B. Bragdon, A. L. Bertone, J. Hardy, E. J. Simmons, and S. E. Weisbrode, “Use of an isolated joint model to detect early changes induced by intra-articular injection of paclitaxel-impregnated polymeric microspheres,” Journal of Investigative Surgery, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 169–182, 2001.
- V. B. Kraus, T. V. Stabler, S. Y. Kong, G. Varju, and G. McDaniel, “Measurement of synovial fluid volume using urea,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1217–1220, 2007.