- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 895495, 9 pages
Tolerance of an Aquatic Power Training Program by Older Adults with Symptomatic Knee Osteoarthritis
1Departments of Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation, Radiology and Epidemiology, The University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, 0728 JPP, Iowa City, IA 52242-1088, USA
2Department of Epidemiology, The University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, 0728 JPP, Iowa City, IA 52242-1088, USA
Received 31 May 2012; Accepted 9 August 2012
Academic Editor: Bruce M. Rothschild
Copyright © 2012 Neil A. Segal and Robert Wallace. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. M. March and C. J. M. Bachmeier, “Economics of osteoarthritis: a global perspective,” Bailliere's Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 817–834, 1997.
- J. M. Hootman and C. G. Helmick, “Projections of US prevalence of arthritis and associated activity limitations,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 226–229, 2006.
- M. A. Davis, “Epidemiology of osteoarthritis,” Clinics in Geriatric Medicine, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 241–255, 1988.
- A. A. Guccione, “Arthritis and the process of disablement,” Physical Therapy, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 408–414, 1994.
- M. Izquierdo, J. Ibañez, E. Gorostiaga et al., “Maximal strength and power characteristics in isometric and dynamic actions of the upper and lower extremities in middle-aged and older men,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 57–68, 1999.
- F. Lauretani, C. R. Russo, S. Bandinelli et al., “Age-associated changes in skeletal muscles and their effect on mobility: an operational diagnosis of sarcopenia,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 1851–1860, 2003.
- D. A. Skelton, C. A. Greig, J. M. Davies, and A. Young, “Strength, power and related functional ability of healthy people aged 65–89 years,” Age and Ageing, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 371–377, 1994.
- T. Suzuki, J. F. Bean, and R. A. Fielding, “Muscle power of the ankle flexors predicts functional performance in community-dwelling older women,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 1161–1167, 2001.
- J. F. Bean, D. K. Kiely, S. Herman et al., “The relationship between leg power and physical performance in mobility-limited older people,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 461–467, 2002.
- D. R. Earles, J. O. Judge, and O. T. Gunnarsson, “Power as a predictor of functional ability in community dwelling older persons,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 29, no. 5, article S11, 1997.
- D. R. Earles, J. O. Judge, and O. T. Gunnarsson, “Velocity training induces power-specific adaptations in highly functioning older adults,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 82, no. 7, pp. 872–878, 2001.
- M. Foldvari, M. Clark, L. C. Laviolette et al., “Association of muscle power with functional status in community-dwelling elderly women,” Journals of Gerontology—Series A, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. M192–M199, 2000.
- J. F. Bean, S. Herman, D. K. Kiely et al., “Increased velocity exercise specific to task (invest) training: a pilot study exploring effects on leg power, balance, and mobility in community-dwelling older women,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 799–804, 2004.
- J. M. Guralnik, L. Ferrucci, E. M. Simonsick, M. E. Salive, and R. B. Wallace, “Lower-extremity function in persons over the age of 70 years as a predictor of subsequent disability,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 332, no. 9, pp. 556–561, 1995.
- N. Segal, J. Clearfield, H. Yack, J. Torner, and R. Wallace, “Improving mobility for older adults with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis: effects of gait and power training,” in Proceedings of the Association of Academic Physiatrists 2009 Annual Meeting, Colorado Springs, Colo, USA, 2009.
- L. E. Silva, V. Valim, A. P. C. Pessanha et al., “Hydrotherapy versus conventional land-based exercise for the management of patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized clinical trial,” Physical Therapy, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 12–21, 2008.
- R. S. Hinman, S. E. Heywood, and A. R. Day, “Aquatic physical therapy for hip and knee osteoarthritis: results of a single-blind randomized controlled trial,” Physical Therapy, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 32–43, 2007.
- S. Y. C. Lin, R. C. Davey, and T. Cochrane, “Community rehabilitation for older adults with osteoarthristis of the limb: a controllefd clinical trial,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 92–101, 2004.
- R. Suomi and S. Lindauer, “Effectiveness of arthritis foundation aquatic program on strength and range of motion in women with arthritis,” Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 341–351, 1997.
- T. Pöyhönen, S. Sipilä, K. L. Keskinen, A. Hautala, J. Savolainen, and E. Mälkiä, “Effects of aquatic resistance training on neuromuscular performance in healthy women,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 2103–2109, 2002.
- A. Valtonen, T. Pöyhönen, S. Sipilä, and A. Heinonen, “Effects of aquatic resistance training on mobility limitation and lower-limb impairments after knee replacement,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 833–839, 2010.
- A. Valtonen, T. Poyhonen, S. Sipila, and A. Heinonen, “Maintenance of aquatic training-induced benefits on mobility and lower-extremity muscles among persons with unilateral knee replacement,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 92, no. 12, pp. 1944–1950, 2011.
- A. Foley, J. Halbert, T. Hewitt, and M. Crotty, “Does hydrotherapy improve strength and physical function in patients with osteoarthritis—a randomised controlled trial comparing a gym based and a hydrotherapy based strengthening programme,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 1162–1167, 2003.
- H. Lund, U. Weile, R. Christensen et al., “A randomized controlled trial of aquatic and land-based exercise in patients with knee osteoarthritis,” Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 137–144, 2008.
- F. B. Wyatt, S. Milam, R. C. Manske, and R. Deere, “The effects of aquatic and traditional exercise programs on persons with knee osteoarthritis,” The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 337–340, 2001.
- E. M. Bartels, H. Lund, K. B. Hagen, H. Dagfinrud, R. Christensen, and B. Danneskiold-Samsøe, “Aquatic exercise for the treatment of knee and hip osteoarthritis,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, Article ID CD005523, 2007.
- M. Fransen, L. Nairn, J. Winstanley, P. Lam, and J. Edmonds, “Physical activity for osteoarthritis management: a randomized controlled clinical trial evaluating hydrotherapy or Tai Chi classes,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 407–414, 2007.
- C. M. Arnold and R. A. Faulkner, “The effect of aquatic exercise and education on lowering fall risk in older adults with hip osteoarthritis,” Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 245–260, 2010.
- R. Altman, E. Asch, D. Bloch, et al., “Development of criteria for the classification and reporting of osteoarthritis. Classification of osteoarthritis of the knee,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1039–1049, 1986.
- N. A. Segal, H. J. Yack, M. Brubaker, J. C. Torner, and R. Wallace, “Association of dynamic joint power with functional limitations in older adults with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 90, no. 11, pp. 1821–1828, 2009.
- A. P. Marsh, M. E. Miller, A. M. Saikin et al., “Lower extremity strength and power are associated with 400-meter walk time in older adults: the InCHIANTI study,” Journals of Gerontology—Series A, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 1186–1193, 2006.
- A. Cuoco, D. M. Callahan, S. Sayers, W. R. Frontera, J. Bean, and R. A. Fielding, “Impact of muscle power and force on gait speed in disabled older men and women,” Journals of Gerontology—Series A, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 1200–1206, 2004.
- J. F. Bean, D. K. Kiely, S. LaRose, J. Alian, and W. R. Frontera, “Is stair climb power a clinically relevant measure of leg power impairments in at-risk older adults?” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 604–609, 2007.
- E. M. Simonsick, P. S. Montgomery, A. B. Newman, D. C. Bauer, and T. Harris, “Measuring fitness in healthy older adults: the health ABC long distance corridor walk,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 1544–1548, 2001.
- S. P. Sayers, A. M. Jette, S. M. Haley, T. C. Heeren, J. M. Guralnik, and R. A. Fielding, “Validation of the late-life function and disability instrument,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 1554–1559, 2004.
- E. M. Roos and S. Toksvig-Larsen, “Knee injury and osteoarthritis outcome score (KOOS)—validation and comparison to the WOMAC in total knee replacement,” Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, vol. 1, article 17, 2003.
- J. E. Ware Jr., “SF-36 health survey update,” Spine, vol. 25, no. 24, pp. 3130–3139, 2000.
- M. C. Nevitt, “Obesity outcomes in disease management: clinical outcomes for osteoarthritis,” Obesity Research, vol. 10, supplement 1, pp. 33S–37S, 2002.
- M. E. Kantz, W. J. Harris, K. Levitsky, J. E. Ware Jr., and A. R. Davies, “Methods for assessing condition-specific and generic functional status outcomes after total knee replacement,” Medical Care, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. MS240–MS252, 1992.
- S. Z. Zhao, J. I. McMillen, J. A. Markenson et al., “Evaluation of the functional status aspects of health-related quality of life of patients with osteoarthritis treated with celecoxib,” Pharmacotherapy, vol. 19, no. 11 I, pp. 1269–1278, 1999.
- F. Angst, A. Aeschlimann, and G. Stucki, “Smallest detectable and minimal clinically important differences of rehabilitation intervention with their implications for required sample sizes using WOMAC and SF-36 quality of life measurement instruments in patients with osteoarthritis of the lower extremities,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 384–391, 2001.
- V. Strand and A. Kelman, “Outcome measures in osteoarthritis: randomized controlled trials,” Current Rheumatology Reports, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 20–30, 2004.
- J. Prins and D. Cutner, “Aquatic therapy in the rehabilitation of athletic injuries,” Clinics in Sports Medicine, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 447–461, 1999.
- R. Wilder, A. Cole, and B. Becker, Aquatic Strategies for Athletic Rehabilitation, Aspen Publishers, 1998.