- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 984060, 5 pages
Relationships between Pain, Function and Radiographic Findings in Osteoarthritis of the Knee: A Cross-Sectional Study
1Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Dr. Behcet Uz Children's Diseases Training and Research Hospital, Sezer Dogan Street No. 11, Konak, 35210 Izmir, Turkey
2Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Pamukkale University Faculty of Medicine, Kınıklı, 20070 Denizli, Turkey
Received 31 July 2012; Accepted 24 October 2012
Academic Editor: Ruben Burgos-Vargas
Copyright © 2012 Duygu Cubukcu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. T. Felson, A. Naimark, and J. Anderson, “The prevalence of knee osteoarthritis in the elderly. The Framingham Osteoarthritis Study,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 914–918, 1987.
- D. W. Puett and M. R. Griffin, “Published trials of nonmedicinal and noninvasive therapies for hip and knee osteoarthritis,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 121, no. 2, pp. 133–140, 1994.
- M. A. Davis, “Epidemiology of osteoarthritis,” Clinics in Geriatric Medicine, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 241–255, 1988.
- D. Hammerman, “Clinical implications of osteoarthritis and ageing,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 54, pp. 82–85, 1995.
- N. Smidt, H. C. de Vet, L. M. Bouter, et al., “Effectiveness of exercise therapy: a best-evidence summary of systematic reviews,” Aust J Physiother, vol. 51, pp. 71–85, 2005.
- N. Bellamy, J. Campbell, V. Robinson, T. Gee, R. Bourne, and G. Wells, “Viscosupplementation for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol. 18, Article ID CD005321, 2005.
- R. D. Altman, “Criteria for classification of clinical osteoarthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 18, no. 27, pp. 10–12, 1991.
- N. Bellamy, W. W. Buchanan, C. H. Goldsmith, J. Campbell, and L. W. Stitt, “Validation study of WOMAC: a health status instrument for measuring clinically important patient relevant outcomes to antirheumatic drug therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1833–1840, 1988.
- H. J. Kellgren and S. J. Lawrence, “Radiological assessment of osteoarthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 16, pp. 494–501, 1967.
- WHO Scientific Group, “Rheumatic diseases,” Tech. Rep., WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 1992.
- D. T. Felson, “Epidemiology of osteoarthritis,” in Osteoarthritis, K. D. Brandt, M. Doherty, and L. S. Lohmander, Eds., pp. 9–16, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 2nd edition, 2003.
- L. Torres, D. D. Dunlop, C. Peterfy et al., “The relationship between specific tissue lesions and pain severity in persons with knee osteoarthritis,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1033–1040, 2006.
- A. A. Guccione, D. T. Felson, and J. J. Anderson, “Defining arthritis and measuring functional status in elders: methodological issues in the study of disease and physical disability,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 80, no. 8, pp. 945–949, 1990.
- M. A. Davis, W. H. Ettinger, J. M. Neuhaus, and K. P. Mallon, “Knee osteoarthritis and physical functioning: evidence from the NHANES I epidemiologic followup study,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 591–598, 1991.
- M. A. Davis, W. H. Ettinger, J. M. Neuhaus, J. D. Barclay, and M. R. Segal, “Correlates of knee pain among US adults with and without radiographic knee osteoarthritis,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1943–1949, 1992.
- T. E. McAlindon, C. Cooper, J. R. Kirwan, and P. A. Dieppe, “Determinants of disability in osteoarthritis of the knee,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 258–262, 1993.
- F. Falaffi, F. Cavalieri, M. Nolli, and G. Ferraccioli, “Analysis of disability in knee ostoarthritis. Relationship with age and psychological variables but not with radiographic score,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1581–1586, 1991.
- J. M. Jordan, G. Luta, J. B. Renner et al., “Self-reported functional status in osteoarthritis of the knee in a rural southern community: the role of sociodemographic factors, obesity, and knee pain,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 273–278, 1996.
- P. Creamer, M. Lethbridge-Cejku, and M. C. Hochberg, “Factors associated with functional impairment in symptomatic knee osteoarthritis,” Rheumatology, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 490–496, 2000.
- S. Ay and D. Evcik, “Effectiveness of pain, disease severity and radiological grading on disability of daily living activities in knee osteoarthritis,” Romatizma, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 14–17, 2008.
- A. C. Larsson, I. Petersson, and C. Ekdahl, “Functional capacity and early radiographic osteoarthritis in middle-aged people with chronic knee pain,” Physiotherapy Research International, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 153–163, 1998.
- B. Szebenyi, A. P. Hollander, P. Dieppe et al., “Associations between pain, function, and radiographic features in osteoarthritis of the knee,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 230–235, 2006.
- J. H. Kellgren and J. S. Lawrence, “Rheumatism in miners. II. X-ray study,” British Journal of Industrial Medicine, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 197–207, 1952.
- J. S. Lawrence, J. M. Bremner, and F. Bier, “Osteo-arthrosis. Prevalence in the population and relationship between symptoms and x-ray changes,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 1–24, 1966.
- M. Lethbridge-Cejku, W. W. Scott, R. Reichle et al., “Association of radiographic features of osteoarthritis of the knee with knee pain: data from the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 182–188, 1995.
- D. G. Külcü, B. Yanık, H. Atalar, and G. Gülsen, “Associated factors with pain and disability in patients with knee osteoarthritis,” Turkish Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 77–81, 2010.
- T. N. Rupprecht, F. Oczipka, C. Lüring, P. H. Pennekamp, and J. Grifka, “Is there a correlation between the clinical, radiological and intrasurgical findings of osteoarthritis of the knee? A prospective study on 103 patients,” Zeitschrift fur Orthopadie und Unfallchirurgie, vol. 145, no. 4, pp. 430–435, 2007.
- M. T. Hannan, D. T. Felson, and T. Pincus, “Analysis of the discordance between radiographic changes and knee pain in osteoarthritis of the knee,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1513–1517, 2000.
- F. M. Cicuttini, J. Baker, D. J. Hart, and T. D. Spector, “Association of pain with radiological changes in different compartments and views of the knee joint,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 143–147, 1996.
- J. Hodler and D. Resnick, “Current status of imaging of articular cartilage,” Skeletal Radiology, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 703–709, 1996.
- K. D. Brandt and R. S. Fife, “Ageing in relation to the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis,” Clinics in Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 117–130, 1986.
- J. Cushnaghan and P. Dieppe, “Study of 500 patients with limb joint osteoarthritis. I. Analysis by age, sex, and distribution of symptomatic joint sites,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 8–13, 1991.
- M. Sowers, “Epidemiology of risk factors for osteoarthritis: systemic factors,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 447–451, 2001.