- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 190868, 10 pages
Association of Body Mass Index with Physical Function and Health-Related Quality of Life in Adults with Arthritis
1Department of Health Promotion, Education, and Behavior, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, 800 Sumter Street, Suite 216, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
2Department of Exercise Science, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, 921 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
3Prevention Research Center, Arnold School of Public Health, University of South Carolina, 1st Floor, 921 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
4Department of Health Science, Saginaw Valley State University, 7400 Bay Road University Center, MI 48710, USA
Received 26 April 2013; Revised 4 October 2013; Accepted 7 October 2013
Academic Editor: Changhai Ding
Copyright © 2013 Danielle E. Schoffman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Prelavence and most common causes of disability among adults—United States, 2005,” Morbitity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 58, pp. 421–426, 2009.
- D. Khanna, P. Maranian, M. Palta et al., “Health-related quality of life in adults reporting arthritis: analysis from the national health measurement study,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1131–1140, 2011.
- A. García-Poma, M. I. Segami, C. S. Mora et al., “Obesity is independently associated with impaired quality of life in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 1831–1835, 2007.
- M. R. Maly, P. A. Costigan, and S. J. Olney, “Determinants of self-report outcome measures in people with knee osteoarthritis,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 96–104, 2006.
- M. J. Elders, “The increasing impact of arthritis on public health,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 27, no. 60, pp. 6–8, 2000.
- J. M. Zakkak, D. B. Wilson, and J. O. Lanier, “The association between body mass index and arthritis among US adults: CDC's surveillance case definition,” Preventing Chronic Disease, vol. 6, no. 2, article A56, 2009.
- H. Kotlarz, C. L. Gunnarsson, H. Fang, and J. A. Rizzo, “Insurer and out-of-pocket costs of osteoarthritis in the US: evidence from national survey data,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 60, no. 12, pp. 3546–3553, 2009.
- J. M. Hootman and C. G. Helmick, “Projections of US prevalence of arthritis and associated activity limitations,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 226–229, 2006.
- C. Mehrotra, T. S. Naimi, M. Serdula, J. Bolen, and K. Pearson, “Arthritis, body mass index, and professional advice to lose weight: implications for clinical medicine and public health,” The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 16–21, 2004.
- K. M. Flegal, D. Carroll, B. K. Kit, and C. L. Ogden, “Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999–2010,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 5, pp. 491–497, 2012.
- E. Losina, R. P. Walensky, W. M. Riechmann et al., “Impact of obesity and knee osteoarthritis on morbitdity and mortality in older Americans,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 154, no. 4, pp. 217–226, 2011.
- F. S. Luppino, L. M. de Wit, P. F. Bouvy et al., “Overweight, obesity, and depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 220–229, 2010.
- B. M. Popkin, S. Kim, E. R. Rusev, S. Du, and C. Zizza, “Measuring the full economic costs of diet, physical activity and obesity-related chronic diseases,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 271–293, 2006.
- T. G. K. Bentley, M. Palta, A. J. Paulsen et al., “Race and gender associations between obesity and nine health-related quality-of-life measures,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 665–674, 2011.
- C. H. Kim, C. A. Luedtke, A. Vincent, J. M. Thompson, and T. H. Oh, “Association of body mass index with symptom severity and quality of life in patients with fibromyalgia,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 222–228, 2012.
- G. M. van Dijk, J. Dekker, C. Veenhof, and C. H. M. van den Ende, “Course of functional status and pain in osteoarthritis of the hip or knee: a systematic review of the literature,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 779–785, 2006.
- J. M. Hootman, C. G. Helmick, and T. J. Brady, “A public health approach to addressing arthritis in older adults: the most common cause of disability,” The American Journal of Public Health, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 426–433, 2012.
- R. Adams, “Revised physical activity readiness questionnaire,” Canadian Family Physician, vol. 45, pp. 992–1005, 1999.
- S. Wilcox, B. McClenaghan, P. A. Sharpe, M. Baruth, K. Leith, and M. Dowda, “The impact of a self-directed, multicomponent exercise program on adults with arthritis,” under review.
- Initiative NOE, Clinical Guidelines on the Indentification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: The Evidence Report, Initiative NOE, Bethesda, Md, USA, 1998.
- B. A. Pankoff, T. J. Overend, S. D. Lucy, and K. P. White, “Reliability of the six-minute walk test in people with fibromyalgia,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 291–295, 2000.
- B. Pankoff, T. Overend, D. Lucy, and K. White, “Validity and responsiveness of the 6 minute walk test for people with fibromyalgia,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 2666–2670, 2000.
- R. E. Rikli and C. J. Jones, “Development and validation of a functional fitness test for community-residing older adults,” Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 129–161, 1999.
- C. J. Jones, R. E. Rikli, and W. C. Beam, “A 30-s chair-stand test as a measure of lower body strength in community-residing older adults,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 113–119, 1999.
- K. A. P. M. Lemmink, H. C. G. Kemper, M. H. G. de Greef, P. Rispens, and M. Stevens, “The validity of the sit-and-reach test and the modified sit-and-reach test in middle-aged to older men and women,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 331–336, 2003.
- K. E. Webster, J. E. Wittwer, and J. A. Feller, “Validity of the GAITRite walkway system for the measurement of averaged and individual step parameters of gait,” Gait and Posture, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 317–321, 2005.
- B. Bilney, M. Morris, and K. Webster, “Concurrent related validity of the GAITRite walkway system for quantification of the spatial and temporal parameters of gait,” Gait and Posture, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 68–74, 2003.
- R. W. Bohannon and K. L. Schaubert, “Test-retest reliability of grip-strength measures obtained over a 12-week interval from community-dwelling elders,” Journal of Hand Therapy, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 426–428, 2005.
- V. Mathiowetz, “Comparison of Rolyan and Jamar dynamometers for measuring grip strength,” Occupational Therapy International, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 201–209, 2002.
- F. J. Kohout, L. F. Berkman, D. A. Evans, and J. Cornoni-Huntley, “Two shorter forms of the CES-D (Center for Epidemiological Studies Depression) depression symptoms index,” Journal of Aging and Health, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 179–193, 1993.
- M. Irwin, K. H. Artin, and M. N. Oxman, “Screening for depression in the older adult: criterion validity of the 10-item center for epidemiological studies depression scale (CES-D),” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 159, no. 15, pp. 1701–1704, 1999.
- L. S. Radloff, “The CES-D scale: a self report depression scale for research in general population,” Applied Psychological Measurement, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 385–401, 1977.
- K. W. Boey, “Cross-validation of a short form of the CES-D in Chinese elderly,” International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 608–617, 1999.
- E. M. Andresen, T. K. Catlin, K. W. Wyrwich, and J. Jackson-Thompson, “Retest reliability of surveillance questions on health related quality of life,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 339–343, 2003.
- P. L. Ritter, V. M. González, D. D. Laurent, and K. R. Lorig, “Measurement of pain using the visual numeric scale,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 574–580, 2006.
- K. R. Lorig, P. L. Ritter, D. D. Laurent, and K. Plant, “The internet-based arthritis self-management program: a one-year randomized trial for patients with arthritis or fibromyalgia,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 1009–1017, 2008.
- M. H. Liang, M. G. Larson, K. E. Cullen, and J. A. Schwartz, “Comparative measurement efficiency and sensitivity of five health status instruments for arthritis research,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 542–547, 1985.
- B. Bruce and J. F. Fries, “The health assessment questionnaire (HAQ),” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. S14–S18, 2005.
- C. H. Hennessy, D. G. Moriarty, M. M. Zack, P. A. Scherr, and R. Brackbill, “Measuring health-related quality of life for public health surveillance,” Public Health Reports, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 665–672, 1994.
- E. M. Andresen, J. A. Malmgren, W. B. Carter, and D. L. Patrick, “Screening for depression in well older adults: evaluation of a short form of the CES-D,” The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 77–84, 1994.
- A. L. Stewart, K. M. Mills, A. C. King, W. L. Haskell, D. Gillis, and P. L. Ritter, “CHAMPS physical activity questionnaire for older adults: outcomes for interventions,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 1126–1141, 2001.
- N. D. Harada, V. Chiu, A. C. King, and A. L. Stewart, “An evaluation of three self-report physical activity instruments for older adults,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 962–970, 2001.
- B. E. Ainsworth, W. L. Haskell, M. C. Whitt et al., “Compendium of physical activities: an update of activity codes and MET intensities,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. S498–S504, 2000.
- J. Alonso, M. Ferrer, B. Gandek et al., “Health-related quality of life associated with chronic conditions in eight countries: results from the international quality of life assessment (IQOLA) project,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 283–298, 2004.
- F. Angst, S. Drerup, S. Werle, D. B. Herren, B. R. Simmen, and J. Goldhahn, “Prediction of grip and key pinch strength in 978 healthy subjects,” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol. 11, article 94, 2010.
- N. M. Massy-Westropp, T. K. Gill, A. W. Taylor, R. W. Bohannon, and C. L. Hill, “Hand grip strength: age and gender stratified normative data in a population-based study,” BMC Research Notes, vol. 4, article 127, 2011.
- World Health Organization, International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF), World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2001.
- M. Stevens, N. Paans, R. Wagenmakers et al., “The influence of overweight/obesity on patient-perceived physical functioning and health-related quality of life after primary total hip arthroplasty,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 523–529, 2012.
- R. Christensen, E. M. Bartels, A. Astrup, and H. Bliddal, “Effect of weight reduction in obese patients diagnosed with knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 433–439, 2007.
- J. Ma, L. Xiao, and R. S. Stafford, “Adult obesity and office-based quality of care in the united states,” Obesity, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1077–1085, 2009.
- S. Bernatsky, C. Rusu, S. O'Donnell et al., “Self-management strategies in overweight and obese canadians with arthritis,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 280–286, 2012.
- S. Wilcox, C. Der Ananian, J. Abbott et al., “Perceived exercise barriers, enablers, and benefits among exercising and nonexercising adults with arthritis: results from a qualitative study,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 616–627, 2006.
- M. Shih, J. M. Hootman, J. Kruger, and C. G. Helmick, “Physical activity in men and women with arthritis. National health interview survey, 2002,” The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 385–393, 2006.