- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 525761, 6 pages
Physical Functioning, Perceived Disability, and Depressive Symptoms in Adults with Arthritis
1Department of Exercise Science, University of South Carolina, Public Health Research Center, 921 Assembly Street, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
2Saginaw Valley State University, University Center, College of Health and Human Services, MI 48710, USA
3University of South Carolina, Prevention Research Center, Columbia, SC 29208, USA
Received 26 April 2013; Revised 31 July 2013; Accepted 6 August 2013
Academic Editor: Changhai Ding
Copyright © 2013 Katie Becofsky et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Hootman, C. G. Helmick, and T. J. Brady, “A public health approach to addressing arthritis in older adults: the most common cause of disability,” The American Journal of Public Health, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 426–433, 2012.
- Y. J. Cheng, J. M. Hootman, L. B. Murphy, G. A. Langmaid, and C. G. Helmick, “Prevalence of doctor-diagnosed arthritis and arthritis-attributable activity limitation-United States, 2007–2009,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 59, no. 39, pp. 1261–1265, 2010.
- J. M. Hootman and C. G. Helmick, “Projections of US prevalence of arthritis and associated activity limitations,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 226–229, 2006.
- A. Anandacoomarasamy, I. Caterson, P. Sambrook, M. Fransen, and L. March, “The impact of obesity on the musculoskeletal system,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 211–222, 2008.
- L. B. Murphy, J. J. Sacks, T. J. Brady, J. M. Hootman, and D. P. Chapman, “Anxiety and depression among US adults with arthritis: prevalence and correlates,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 968–976, 2012.
- W. C. Reeves, T. W. Strine, L. A. Pratt et al., “Mental illness surveillance among adults in the United States,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 60, supplement 3, pp. 1–29, 2011.
- S. Nagi, “Some conceptual issues in disability and rehabilitation,” in Sociology and Rehabilitation, M. Sussman, Ed., p. 100, American Sociological Society, Washington, DC, USA, 1965.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Behavior Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2011.
- R. Adams, “Revised physical activity readiness questionnaire,” Canadian Family Physician, vol. 45, pp. 992–1005, 1999.
- L. S. Radloff, “The CES-D scale : a self report depression scale for research in general population,” Applied Psychological Measurements, vol. 1, pp. 385–401, 1977.
- E. M. Andresen, J. A. Malmgren, W. B. Carter, and D. L. Patrick, “Screening for depression in well older adults: evaluation of a short form of the CES-D,” The American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 77–84, 1994.
- R. W. Bohannon and K. L. Schaubert, “Test-retest reliability of grip-strength measures obtained over a 12-week interval from community-dwelling elders,” Journal of Hand Therapy, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 426–428, 2005.
- C. J. Jones, R. E. Rikli, and W. C. Beam, “A 30-s chair-stand test as a measure of lower body strength in community-residing older adults,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 113–119, 1999.
- K. A. Lemmink, H. C. Kemper, M. H. de Greef, P. Rispens, and M. Stevens, “The validity of the sit-and-reach test and the modified sit-and-reach test in middle-aged to older men and women,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 331–336, 2003.
- B. A. Pankoff, T. J. Overend, S. Deborah Lucy, and K. P. White, “Reliability of the six-minute walk test in people with fibromyalgia,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 291–295, 2000.
- B. Pankoff, T. Overend, D. Lucy, and K. White, “Validity and responsiveness of the 6 minute walk test for people with fibromyalgia,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 2666–2670, 2000.
- K. E. Webster, J. E. Wittwer, and J. A. Feller, “Validity of the GAITRite® walkway system for the measurement of averaged and individual step parameters of gait,” Gait and Posture, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 317–321, 2005.
- B. Bilney, M. Morris, and K. Webster, “Concurrent related validity of the GAITRite® walkway system for quantification of the spatial and temporal parameters of gait,” Gait and Posture, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 68–74, 2003.
- C. Bauer, I. Gröger, R. Rupprecht, and K. G. Gaßmann, “Intrasession reliability of force platform parameters in community-dwelling older adults,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 1977–1982, 2008.
- B. Bruce and J. F. Fries, “The health assessment questionnaire (HAQ),” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 23, supplement 39, no. 5, pp. S14–S18, 2005.
- D. D. Dunlop, J. S. Lyons, L. M. Manheim, J. Song, and R. W. Chang, “Arthritis and heart disease as risk factors for major depression the role of functional limitation,” Medical Care, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 502–511, 2004.
- M. A. Whooley, “Depression and cardiovascular disease: healing the broken-hearted,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 24, pp. 2874–2881, 2006.
- M. Pinquart and P. R. Duberstein, “Depression and cancer mortality: a meta-analysis,” Psychological Medicine, vol. 40, no. 11, pp. 1797–1810, 2010.
- X. Zhang, S. L. Norris, E. W. Gregg, Y. J. Cheng, G. Beckles, and H. S. Kahn, “Depressive symptoms and mortality among persons with and without diabetes,” The American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 161, no. 7, pp. 652–660, 2005.
- C. J. Jones, D. N. Rutledge, and J. Aquino, “Predictors of physical performance and functional ability in people 50+ with and without fibromyalgia,” Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 353–368, 2010.
- J. F. Bean, D. D. Ölveczky, D. K. Kiely, S. I. LaRose, and A. M. Jette, “Performance-based versus patient-reported physical function: what are the underlying predictors?” Physical Therapy, vol. 91, no. 12, pp. 1804–1811, 2011.
- M. Shih, J. M. Hootman, T. W. Strine, D. P. Chapman, and T. J. Brady, “Serious psychological distress in U.S. adults with arthritis,” Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1160–1166, 2006.
- J. Ormel, F. V. Rijsdijk, M. Sullivan, E. van Sonderen, and G. I. J. Kempen, “Temporal and reciprocal relationship between IADL/ADL disability and depressive symptoms in late life,” Journals of Gerontology B, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. P338–P347, 2002.
- E. H. B. Lin, W. Katon, M. von Korff et al., “Effect of improving depression care on pain and functional outcomes among older adults with arthritis: a randomized controlled trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 290, no. 18, pp. 2428–2434, 2003.
- “Physical activity guidelines advisory committee report, 2008. To the secretary of health and human services. Part A: executive summary,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 67, no. 32, pp. 114–120, 2009.
- J. Barlow, A. Turner, L. Swaby, M. Gilchrist, C. Wright, and M. Doherty, “An 8-yr follow-up of arthritis self-management programme participants,” Rheumatology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 128–133, 2009.