- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 673401, 10 pages
Imaging Appearances in Gout
1Department of Radiology, University of Michigan, 1500 East Medical Center Drive, TC 2910, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0326, USA
2Division of Rheumatology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Jacksonville, FL 32209-6561, USA
3Division of Rheumatology, Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy, NJ 08861, USA
Received 11 October 2012; Revised 9 February 2013; Accepted 11 February 2013
Academic Editor: Bruce M. Rothschild
Copyright © 2013 Gandikota Girish et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Zhu, B. J. Pandya, and H. K. Choi, “Prevalence of gout and hyperuricemia in the US general population: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2007-2008,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 63, no. 10, pp. 3136–3141, 2011.
- P. Richette and T. Bardin, “Gout,” The Lancet, vol. 375, no. 9711, pp. 318–328, 2010.
- C. A. Agudelo and H. R. Schumacher, “The synovitis of acute gouty arthritis. A light and electron microscopic study,” Human Pathology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 265–279, 1973.
- W. Zhang, M. Doherty, T. Bardin et al., “EULAR evidence based recommendations for gout. Part II: management. Report of a task force of the EULAR Standing Committee for International Clinical Studies Including Therapeutics (ESCISIT),” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 1312–1324, 2006.
- M. P. Keith and W. R. Gilliland, “Updates in the management of Gout,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 221–224, 2007.
- T. R. Mikuls, J. T. Farrar, W. B. Bilker, S. Fernandes, and K. G. Saag, “Suboptimal physician adherence to quality indicators for the management of gout and asymptomatic hyperuricaemia: results from the UK General Practice Research Database (GPRD),” Rheumatology, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 1038–1042, 2005.
- J. A. Singh, J. S. Hodges, J. P. Toscano, and S. M. Asch, “Quality of care for gout in the US needs improvement,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 822–829, 2007.
- A. Therimadasamy, Y. P. Peng, T. C. Putti, and E. P. Wilder-Smith, “Carpal tunnel syndrome caused by gouty tophus of the flexor tendons of the fingers: sonographic features,” Journal of Clinical Ultrasound, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 463–465, 2011.
- F. Perez-Ruiz, I. Martin, and B. Canteli, “Ultrasonographic measurement of tophi as an outcome measure for chronic gout,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1888–1893, 2007.
- F. M. McQueen, A. Chhana, and N. Dalbeth, “Mechanisms of joint damage in gout: evidence from cellular and imaging studies,” Nature Reviews Rheumatology, vol. 8, pp. 173–181, 2012.
- N. Dalbeth, B. Pool, G. D. Gamble et al., “Cellular characterization of the gouty tophus: a quantitative analysis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 1549–1556, 2010.
- F. M. McQueen, A. Doyle, and N. Dalbeth, “Imaging in gout—what can we learn from MRI, CT, DECT and US?” Arthritis Research & Therapy, vol. 13, p. 246, 2011.
- S. Ottaviani, T. Bardin, and P. Richette, “Usefulness of ultrasonography for gout,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 441–445, 2012.
- R. G. Thiele and N. Schlesinger, “Diagnosis of gout by ultrasound,” Rheumatology, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 1116–1121, 2007.
- E. Filippucci, M. Gutierrez Riveros, D. Georgescu, F. Salaffi, and W. Grassi, “Hyaline cartilage involvement in patients with gout and calcium pyrophosphate deposition disease. An ultrasound study,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 178–181, 2009.
- R. G. Howard, M. H. Pillinger, S. Gyftopoulos, R. G. Thiele, C. J. Swearingen, and J. Samuels, “Reproducibility of musculoskeletal ultrasound for determining monosodium urate deposition: concordance between readers,” Arthritis Care & Research, vol. 63, no. 10, pp. 1456–1462, 2011.
- C. Pineda, L. M. Amezcua-Guerra, C. Solano et al., “Joint and tendon subclinical involvement suggestive of gouty arthritis in asymptomatic hyperuricemia: an ultrasound controlled study,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 13, no. 1, p. R4, 2011.
- R. G. Thiele, “Role of ultrasound and other advanced imaging in the diagnosis and management of gout,” Current Rheumatology Reports, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 146–153, 2011.
- S. A. Wright, E. Filippucci, C. McVeigh et al., “High-resolution ultrasonography of the first metatarsal phalangeal joint in gout: a controlled study,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 66, no. 7, pp. 859–864, 2007.
- E. de Avila Fernandes, E. S. Kubota, G. B. Sandim, S. A. V. Mitraud, A. J. L. Ferrari, and A. R. C. Fernandes, “Ultrasound features of tophi in chronic tophaceous gout,” Skeletal Radiology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 309–315, 2011.
- W. Grassi, G. Meenagh, E. Pascual, and E. Filippucci, “‘Crystal Clear’-sonographic assessment of Gout and calcium pyrophosphate deposition disease,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 197–202, 2006.
- T. Rettenbacher, S. Ennemoser, H. Weirich et al., “Diagnostic imaging of gout: comparison of high-resolution US versus conventional X-ray,” European Radiology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 621–630, 2008.
- J. D. Carter, R. P. Kedar, S. R. Anderson et al., “An analysis of MRI and ultrasound imaging in patients with gout who have normal plain radiographs,” Rheumatology, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 1442–1446, 2009.
- N. Dalbeth, B. Clark, K. Gregory et al., “Mechanisms of bone erosion in gout: a quantitative analysis using plain radiography and computed tomography,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 68, no. 8, pp. 1290–1295, 2009.
- M. Karcaaltincaba and A. Aktas, “Dual-energy CT revisited with multidetector CT: review of principles and clinical applications,” Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 181–194, 2011.
- H. K. Choi, A. M. Al-Arfaj, A. Eftekhari et al., “Dual energy computed tomography in tophaceous gout,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 68, no. 10, pp. 1609–1612, 2009.
- J. C. Gerster, M. Landry, L. Dufresne, and J. Y. Meuwly, “Imaging of tophaceous gout: computed tomography provides specific images compared with magnetic resonance imaging and ultrasonography,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 52–54, 2002.
- D. G. Palmer, N. Hogg, I. Denholm, C. A. Allen, J. Highton, and P. A. Hessian, “Comparison of phenotype expression by mononuclear phagocytes within subcutaneous gouty tophi and rheumatoid nodules,” Rheumatology International, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 187–193, 1987.
- A. So and N. Busso, “Update on gout 2012,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 79, no. 6, pp. 539–543, 2012.