- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 878126, 6 pages
Two Single-Nucleotide Polymorphisms in ADAM12 Gene Are Associated with Early and Late Radiographic Knee Osteoarthritis in Estonian Population
1Department of Internal Medicine, University of Tartu, 51014 Tartu, Estonia
2Department of Immunology, University of Tartu, 51014 Tartu, Estonia
3Department of Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Tartu, 51014 Tartu, Estonia
4Department of Radiology, University of Tartu, 51014 Tartu, Estonia
Received 29 November 2012; Revised 1 March 2013; Accepted 4 March 2013
Academic Editor: Peter M. van der Kraan
Copyright © 2013 Irina Kerna et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Litwic, M. H. Edwards, E. M. Dennison, and C. Cooper, “Epidemiology and burden of osteoarthritis,” British Medical Bulletin, 2013.
- G. Peat, R. McCarney, and P. Croft, “Knee pain and osteoarthritis in older adults: a review of community burden and current use of primary health care,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 91–97, 2001.
- A. J. MacGregor and T. D. Spector, “Twins and the genetic architecture of osteoarthritis,” Rheumatology, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 583–588, 1999.
- E. Jakkula, “Defects in the genes coding for cartilage extracellular matrix proteins as a cause of osteoarthritis and multiple epiphyseal dysplasia,” Acta Universitatis Ouluensis Medica, D832, Oulu, Finland, 2005, http://herkules.oulu.fi/isbn9514277333/isbn9514277333.pdf.
- L. N. Reynard and J. Loughlin, “Genetics and epigenetics of osteoarthritis,” Maturitas, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 200–204, 2012.
- A. M. Valdes, D. J. Hart, K. A. Jones et al., “Association study of candidate genes for the prevalence and progression of knee osteoarthritis,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 2497–22507, 2004.
- K. L. Limer, K. Tosh, S. R. Bujac et al., “Attempt to replicate published genetic associations in a large, well-defined osteoarthritis case-control population (the GOAL study),” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 782–789, 2009.
- N. M. Hooper and U. Lendeckel, The ADAM Family of Proteases, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- A. Okada, S. Mochizuki, T. Yatabe et al., “ADAM-12 (Meltrin α) is involved in chondrocyte proliferation via cleavage of insulin-like growth factor binding protein 5 in osteoarthritic cartilage,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 778–789, 2008.
- I. Kerna, K. Kisand, P. Laitinen et al., “Association of ADAM12-S protein with radiographic features of knee osteoarthritis and bone and cartilage markers,” Rheumatology International, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 519–523, 2012.
- A. M. Valdes, M. Doherty, and T. D. Spector, “The additive effect of individual genes in predicting risk of knee osteoarthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 124–127, 2008.
- Y. Nagaosa, M. Mateus, B. Hassan, P. Lanyon, and M. Doherty, “Development of a logically devised line drawing atlas for grading of knee osteoarthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 587–595, 2000.
- S. W. M. John, G. Weitzner, R. Rozen, and C. R. Scriver, “A rapid procedure for extracting genomic DNA from leukocytes,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 19, no. 2, p. 408, 1991.
- TaqMan, “Allelic Discrimination Protocol,” http://www.icmb.utexas.edu/core/DNA/Information_Sheets/Real-time%20PCR/7900taqAllelicDiscrim.pdf.
- S. R. Narum, “Beyond Bonferroni: less conservative analyses for conservation genetics,” Conservation Genetics, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 783–787, 2006.
- “Population Diversity for rs3740199, rs1871054, rs1044122, rs1278279,” population HapMap-CEU, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/SNP/snp_viewTable.cgi?pop=1409.
- A. M. Valdes, M. Van Oene, D. J. Hart et al., “Reproducible genetic associations between candidate genes and clinical knee osteoarthritis in men and women,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 533–539, 2006.
- Quanto Software, 2012, http://hydra.usc.edu/gxe/.
- I. Meulenbelt, “Osteoarthritis year 2011 in review: genetics,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 218–222.
- H. Takahashi, M. Nakajima, K. Ozaki, T. Tanaka, N. Kamatani, and S. Ikegawa, “Prediction model for knee osteoarthritis based on genetic and clinical information,” Arthritis Research & Therapys, vol. 12, no. 5, article R187, 2010.
- M.-H. Shin, S.-J. Lee, S.-J. Kee et al., “Genetic association analysis of GDF5 and ADAM12 for knee osteoarthritis,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 488–491, 2012.
- I. Kerna, K. Kisand, A. E. Tamm, M. Lintrop, K. Veske, and A. O. Tamm, “Missense single nucleotide polymorphism of the ADAM12 gene is associated with radiographic knee osteoarthritis in middle-aged Estonian cohort,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1093–1098, 2009.
- P. M. van der Kraan and W. B. van den Berg, “Osteophytes: relevance and biology,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 237–244, 2007.
- E. Abe, H. Mocharla, T. Yamate, Y. Taguchi, and S. C. Manolagas, “Meltrin-α, a fusion protein involved in multinucleated giant cell and osteoclast formation,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 508–515, 1999.
- V. B. Kraus, “Osteoarthritis year 2010 in review: biochemical markers,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 346–353, 2011.