- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Software Engineering
Volume 2009 (2009), Article ID 879725, 16 pages
Automatic Generation of Web Applications from Visual High-Level Functional Web Components
Department of Information Science and Intelligent Systems, University of Tokushima, 2-1 Minamijosanjima, Tokushima 770-8506, Japan
Received 10 June 2008; Revised 29 September 2008; Accepted 25 November 2008
Academic Editor: Andrea De Lucia
Copyright © 2009 Quan Liang Chen and Takao Shimomura. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Pemberton, D. Austin, J. Axelsson, et al., “ 1.0 the extensible hypertext markup language (Second Edition),” 2002, http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1.
- P. van Schaik and J. Ling, “The effects of frame layout and differential background contrast on visual search performance in Web pages,” Interacting with Computers, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 513–525, 2001.
- T. Comber and J. Maltby, “Layout complexity: does it measure usability?,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (INTERACT '97), pp. 623–626, Sydney, Australia, July 1997.
- IBM, “WebSphere Studio Homepage Builder,” 2007, http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/hpbuilder.
- T. Shimomura, “Visual design and programming for Web applications,” Journal of Visual Languages & Computing, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 213–230, 2005.
- A. Leff and J. Rayfield, “Web-application development using the model/view/controller design pattern,” in Proceedings of the 5th IEEE International Conference on Enterprise Distributed Object Computing (EDOC '01), pp. 118–127, Seattle, Wash, USA, September 2001.
- J. Goodwill, Mastering Jakarta Struts, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- Sun Microsystems, Inc., JavaServer Pages Technology, 2006, http://java.sun.com/products/jsp.
- NetBeans, 2008, http://www.netbeans.org.
- Sun Microsystems, Inc., Sun Java Studio Creator, 2004, http://wwws.sun.com/software/products/jscreator.
- R. Mogha and R. Bhargava, Sun One Studio Programming, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- JetBrains: IntelliJ IDEA, 2007, http://www.jetbrains.com/idea.
- “CodeWarrior Development Tools,” 2008, http://www.freescale.com/codewarrior.
- S. Shavor, J. D'Anjou, S. Fairbrother, D. Kehn, J. Kellerman, and P. McCarthy, The JavaTM Developer's Guide to Eclipse, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass, USA, 2003.
- A. Latteier and M. Pelletier, The Zope Book, Macmillan Computer, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- M. Burnett, S. K. Chekka, and R. Pandey, “FAR: an end-user language to support cottage e-services,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Symposia on Human-Centric Computing Languages and Environments, pp. 195–202, Stresa, Italy, September 2001.
- J. Lin, M. Thomsen, and J. A. Landay, “A visual language for sketching large and complex interactive designs,” CHI Letters, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 307–314, 2002.
- A. S. Christensen, A. Møller, and M. I. Schwartzbach, “Extending Java for high-level Web service construction,” ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 814–875, 2003.
- N. Al-Darwish, “PageGen: an effective scheme for dynamic generation of Web pages,” Information and Software Technology, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 651–662, 2003.
- Sun Microsystems, Inc., JavaServer Faces, 2003, http://java.sun.com/j2ee/javaserverfaces.
- Apache Software Foundation: Tapestry, 2003, http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry.
- G. D. Penna, B. Intrigila, and S. Orefice, “An environment for the design and implementation of visual applications,” Journal of Visual Languages & Computing, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 439–461, 2004.
- D. C. Kung, “An executable visual formalism for object-oriented conceptual modeling,” Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 33–43, 1995.
- D.-J. Chen, W.-C. Chen, and K. M. Kavi, “Visual requirement representation,” Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 129–143, 2002.
- R. Castelló, R. Mili, and I. G. Tollis, “ViSta: a tool suite for the visualization of behavioral requirements,” Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 141–159, 2002.
- S. J. Mellor and M. J. Balcer, Executable UML: A Foundation for Model-Driven Architecture, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass, USA, 2002.
- C. Nentwich, W. Emmerich, A. Finkelstein, and A. Zisman, “BOX: browsing objects in XML,” Software: Practice and Experience, vol. 30, no. 15, pp. 1661–1676, 2000.
- K. Zhang, D.-Q. Zhang, and J. Cao, “Design, construction, and application of a generic visual language generation environment,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 289–307, 2001.
- S. Glass, D. Ince, and E. Fergus, “Llun—a high-level debugger for generated parsers,” Software: Practice and Experience, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 983–1001, 2001.
- S. Stoecklin and C. Allen, “Creating a reusable GUI component,” Software: Practice and Experience, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 403–416, 2002.
- S. A. Mamrak and S. Pole, “Automatic form generation,” Software: Practice and Experience, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1051–1063, 2002.
- K. L. Mills and H. Gomaa, “A knowledge-based method for inferring semantic concepts from visual models of system behavior,” ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 306–337, 2000.
- A. F. Blackwell, “See what you need: helping end-users to build abstractions,” Journal of Visual Languages & Computing, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 475–499, 2001.
- W.-S. Li, J. Shim, and K. S. Candan, “WebDB: a system for querying semi-structured data on the Web,” Journal of Visual Languages & Computing, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 3–33, 2002.
- I. F. Cruz and P. S. Leveille, “As you like it: personalized database visualization using a visual language,” Journal of Visual Languages & Computing, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 525–549, 2001.
- Iron Speed, Inc., “Iron Speed Designer,” 2004, http://www.ironspeed.com.
- D. D. Loveh, D. Maharry, B. Sempf, and D. Xie, Effective Visual Studio .Net, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- I. Redbooks, Ejb 2.0 Development with Websphere Studio Application Developer, Vervante, Rolling Hls Ests, Calif, USA, 2003.
- Adobe Systems Incorporated, “Adobe Dreamweaver and Fireworks,” 2007, http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver.
- T. Shimomura, K. Ikeda, Q. L. Chen, N. S. Lang, and M. Takahashi, “Visual programming of hierarchical frames for Web applications,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Engineering and Applications (CEA '07), pp. 384–389, Gold Coast, Australia, January 2007.
- T. Shimomura, K. Ikeda, Q. L. Chen, N. S. Lang, and M. Takahashi, “Visual pivot-table components for Web application development,” in Proceedings of the 3rd IASTED International Conference on Advances in Computer Science and Technology (ACST '07), pp. 90–95, Phuket, Thailand, April 2007.
- G. Rossi and D. Schwabe, “Object-oriented design structures in Web application models,” Annals of Software Engineering, vol. 13, no. 1–4, pp. 97–110, 2002.
- D. Schwabe, L. Esmeraldo, G. Rossi, and F. Lyardet, “Engineering Web applications for reuse,” IEEE Multimedia, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 20–31, 2001.
- D. Schwabe and G. Rossi, “From domain models to hypermedia applications: an object-oriented approach,” in Proceedings of the International Workshop on Methodologies for Designing and Developing Hypermedia Applications, Edinburgh, UK, September 1994.
- D. Schwabe and G. Rossi, “Building hypermedia applications as navigational views of information models,” in Proceedings of the 28th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS '95), p. 231, Maui, Hawaii, USA, January 1995.
- D. Schwabe and G. Rossi, “The object oriented hypermedia design model,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 45–46, 1995.
- D. Distante, G. Rossi, G. Canfora, and S. Tilley, “A comprehensive design model for integrating business processes in Web applications,” International Journal of Web Engineering and Technology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 43–72, 2007.
- D. Distante, G. Canfora, S. Tilley, and S. Huang, “Redesigning legacy applications for the Web with UWAT+: a case study,” in Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE '06), pp. 482–491, Shanghai, China, May 2006.
- S. Ceri, P. Fraternali, and A. Bongio, “Web modeling language (WebML): a modeling language for designing Web sites,” Computer Networks, vol. 33, no. 1–6, pp. 137–157, 2000.
- F. Ricca, M. D. Penta, M. Torchiano, P. Tonella, and M. Ceccato, “An empirical study on the usefulness of Conallen's stereotypes inWeb application comprehension,” in Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Symposium on Web Site Evolution (WSE '06), pp. 58–68, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, September 2006.
- I. Reinhartz-Berger, D. Dori, and S. Katz, “OPM/Web—object-process methodology for developing Web applications,” Annals of Software Engineering, vol. 13, no. 1–4, pp. 141–161, 2002.
- H. Tai, T. Nerome, M. Abe, and M. Hori, “A model-driven development support environment for Web applications,” Transactions of Information Processing Society of Japan, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1498–1508, 2003.