- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Software Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 938296, 22 pages
An Empirical Study on the Impact of Duplicate Code
Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Osaka University, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
Received 4 January 2012; Accepted 5 March 2012
Academic Editor: Osamu Mizuno
Copyright © 2012 Keisuke Hotta et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Bellon, R. Koschke, G. Antoniol, J. Krinke, and E. Merlo, “Comparison and evaluation of clone detection tools,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 804–818, 2007.
- M. D. Wit, A. Zaidman, and A. V. Deursen, “Managing code clones using dynamic change tracking and resolution?” in Proceedings of the 25th IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance (ICSM '09), pp. 169–178, September 2009.
- M. P. Robillard, W. Coelho, and G. C. Murphy, “How effective developers investigate source code: an exploratory study,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 889–903, 2004.
- C. J. Kapser and M. W. Godfrey, “‘cloning considered harmful’ considered harmful: patterns of cloning in software,” Empirical Software Engineering, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 645–692, 2008.
- M. Kim, V. Sazawal, D. Notkin, and G. C. Murphy, “An empirical study of code clone genealogies,” in Proceedings of the 13th ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering, pp. 187–196, September 2005.
- N. Bettenburg, W. Shang, W. M. Ibrahim, B. Adams, Y. Zou, and A. E. Hassan, “An empirical study on inconsistent changes to code clones at the release level,” Science of Computer Programming, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 760–776, 2012.
- A. Monden, D. Nakae, T. Kamiya, S. Sato, and K. Matsumoto, “Software quality analysis by code clones in industrial legacy software,” in Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Software Metrics Symposium, pp. 87–94, June 2002.
- A. Lozano, M. Wermelinger, and B. Nuseibeh, “Evaluating the harmfulness of cloning: a change based experiment,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Mining Software Repositories (MSR '07), May 2007.
- A. Lozano and M. Wermelinger, “Assessing the effect of clones on changeability,” in Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Software Maintenance, pp. 227–236, September 2008.
- A. Lozano, M. Wermelinger, and B. Nuseibeh, “Evaluating the relation between changeability decay and the characteristics of clones and methods,” in Proceedings of the 23rd IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering, pp. 100–109, September 2008.
- J. Krinke, “Is cloned code more stable than non-cloned code?” in Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Working Conference on Source Code Analysis and Manipulation, SCAM 2008, pp. 57–66, September 2008.
- N. Göde and J. Harder, “Clone stability,” in Proceedings of the 15th European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering (CSMR '11), pp. 65–74, March 2011.
- J. Krinke, “Is cloned code older than non-cloned code?” in Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Software Clones (IWSC '11), pp. 28–33, May 2011.
- F. Rahman, C. Bird, and P. Devanbu, “Clones: what is that smell?” in Proceedings of the 7th IEEE Working Conference on Mining Software Repositories, pp. 72–81, May 2010.
- N. Göde and R. Koschke, “Frequency and risks of changes to clones,” in 33rd International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE '11), pp. 311–320, May 2011.
- S. G. Eick, T. L. Graves, A. F. Karr, U. S. Marron, and A. Mockus, “Does code decay? Assessing the evidence from change management data,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2001.
- N. Göde, “Evolution of type-1 clones,” in Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Working Conference on Source Code Analysis and Manipulation (SCAM '09), pp. 77–86, September 2009.
- E. Burd and J. Bailey, “Evaluating clone detection tools for use during preventative maintenance,” in Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Workshop on Source Code Analysis and Manipulation, pp. 36–43, October 2002.
- T. Kamiya, S. Kusumoto, and K. Inoue, “CCFinder: a multilinguistic token-based code clone detection system for large scale source code,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 654–670, 2002.
- CCFinderX, http://www.ccfinder.net/ccfinderx.html/.
- Simian, http://www.harukizaemon.com/simian/.
- Y. Higo and S. Kusumoto, “Code clone detection on specialized PDGs with heuristics,” in Proceedings of the 15th European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering (CSMR '11), pp. 75–84, March 2011.
- Scorpio, http://sdl.ist.osaka-u.ac.jp/~higo/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Scorpio/.
- S. Ducasse, M. Rieger, and S. Demeyer, “Language independent approach for detecting duplicated code,” in Proceedings of the 15th IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance (ICSM '99), pp. 109–118, September 1999.
- S. Uchida, A. Monden, N. Ohsugi, T. Kamiya, K. I. Matsumoto, and H. Kudo, “Software analysis by code clones in open source software,” Journal of Computer Information Systems, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 1–11, 2005.
- K. Hotta, Y. Sano, Y. Higo, and S. Kusumoto, “Is duplicate code more frequently modified than non-duplicate code in software evolution?: an empirical study on open source software,” in Proceedings of the 4th the International Joint ERCIM Workshop on Software Evolution and International Workshop on Principles of Software Evolution, September 2010.
- Y. Sasaki, K. Hotta, Y. Higo, and S. Kusumoto, “Is duplicate code good or bad? an empirical study with multiple investigation methods and multiple detection tools,” in Proceedings of the 22nd International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE '11), Hiroshima, Japan, November 2011.