- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Software Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 707248, 13 pages
Gesture Recognition Using Neural Networks Based on HW/SW Cosimulation Platform
1Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33174, USA
2Department of Electronic Engineering, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, Taipei 106, Taiwan
3Department of Engineering, Ming Chi University of Technology, Taipei 243, Taiwan
Received 30 July 2012; Revised 27 December 2012; Accepted 17 January 2013
Academic Editor: Christine W. Chan
Copyright © 2013 Priyanka Mekala et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Suh, H. S. Lee, S. Lu, and J. Shen, “Initial observations of hardware/software co-simulation using FPGA in architecture research,” in Proceedings of the Workshop on Architecture Research Using FPGA Platforms in Conjunction with International Symposium on High-Performance Computer Architecture, Austin, Tex, USA, February, 2006.
- X. Ling, Z. Li, J. Hu, and S. Wu, “HW/SW co-simulation platforms for VLSI design,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Asia Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems (APCCAS '08), pp. 578–581, 2008.
- M. M. Hasan and P. K. Misra, “Brightness factor matching for gesture recognition system using scaled normalization,” International Journal of Computer Science & Information Technology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 35–46, 2011.
- M. P. Paulraj, S. Yaacob, M. S. bin Zanar Azalan, and R. Palaniappan, “A phoneme based sign language recognition system using skin color segmentation,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Colloquium on Signal Processing and Its Applications (CSPA '10), pp. 1–5, May 2010.
- P. Mekala, Y. Gao, J. Fan, and A. Davari, “Real-time sign language recognition based on neural network architecture,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology & 43rd Southeastern Symposium on System Theory (SSST '11), pp. 195–199, Auburn, Ala, USA, March 2011.
- S. Mitra and T. Acharya, “Gesture recognition: a survey,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part C, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 311–324, 2007.
- T. B. Moeslund and E. Granum, “A survey of computer vision-based human motion capture,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 231–268, 2001.
- J. J. LaViola Jr., A survey of hand posture and gesture recognition techniques and technology [M.S. thesis], NSF Science and Technology Center for Computer Graphics and Scientific Visualization, Providence, RI, USA, 1999.
- S. Meena, A study on hand gesture recognition technique [M.S. thesis], Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Rourkela, India, 2011.
- M. M. Hasan and P. K. Mishra, “HSV brightness factor matching for gesture recognition system,” International Journal of Image Processing, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 456–467, 2010.
- P. Garg, N. Aggarwal, and S. Sofat, “Vision based hand gesture recognition,” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 49, pp. 972–977, 2009.
- K. Murakami and H. Taguchi, “Gesture recognition using recurrent neural networks,” in Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems: Reaching through Technology, pp. 237–242, 1999.
- T. H. H. Maung, “Real-time hand tracking and gesture recognition system using neural networks,” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 50, pp. 466–470, 2009.
- M. Maraqa and R. Abu-Zaiter, “Recognition of Arabic Sign Language (ArSL) using recurrent neural networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st IEEE International Conference on the Applications of Digital Information and Web Technologies (ICADIWT '08), pp. 478–481, August 2008.
- G. Bailador, D. Roggen, and G. Troster, “Real time gesture recognition using continuous time recurrent neural networks,” in Proceedings of the 2nd ICST International Conference on Body Area Networks, 2007.
- E. Stergiopoulou and N. Papamarkos, “Hand gesture recognition using a neural network shape fitting technique,” Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 1141–1158, 2009.
- X. Li, Gesture Recognition Based on Fuzzy C-Means Clustering Algorithm, Department of Computer Science, The University of Tennessee Knoxville, 2003.
- C. Lien and C. Huang, “The model-based dynamic hand posture identification using genetic algorithm,” Springer Machine Vision and Applications, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 107–121, 1999.
- R. Yang and S. Sarkar, “Gesture recognition using hidden Markov models from fragmented observations,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR '06), pp. 766–773, June 2006.
- M. Elmezain, A. Al-Hamadi, J. Appenrodt, and B. Michaelis, “A hidden Markov model-based isolated and meaningful hand gesture recognition,” International Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 156–163, 2009.
- R. Verma and A. Dev, “Vision based hand gesture recognition using finite state machines and fuzzy logic,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Ultra Modern Telecommunications and Workshops (ICUMT '09), pp. 1–6, Petersburg, Russia, October 2009.
- B. Krose and P. van der Smagtan, An Introduction to Neural Networks, The University of Amsterdam, 8th edition, 1996.
- A. Chaudhary, J. L. Raheja, K. Das, and S. Raheja, “Intelligent approaches to interact with machines using hand gesture recognition in natural way: a survey,” International Journal of Computer Science & Engineering Survey, vol. 2, no. 1, 2011.
- J. Wu, Neural Networks and Simulation Methods, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- R. Z. Khan and N. A. Ibraheem, “Hand gesture recognition: a literature review,” International Journal of Artificial Intelligence & Applications, vol. 3, no. 4, 2012.
- R. Z. Khan and N. A. Ibraheem, “Survey on gesture recognition for hand image postures,” International Journal of Computer and Information Science, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 110–121, 2012.
- W. T. Freeman and M. Roth, “Orientation histograms for hand gesture recognition,” in Proceedings of the International Workshop on Automatic Face and Gesture-Recognition, pp. 296–301, IEEE Computer Society, Zurich, Switzerland, June 1995.
- G. A. Carpenter and S. Grossberg, “The ART of adaptive pattern recognition by a self-organizing neural network,” Computer, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 77–788, 1988.
- A. R. Omondi and J. C. Rajapakse, FPGA Implementations of Neural Networks, Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2006.
- L. Fausett, Fundamentals of Neural Networks—Architecture, Algorithms and Applications, Prentice Hall Publishers, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 1994.
- J. Heaton, Introduction to Neural Networks for JAVA, Heaton Research, Inc, 2nd edition, 2008.
- S. Geman, E. Bienenstock, and R. Doursat, “Neural networks and the bias/variance dilemma,” Neural Computation, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1–58, 1992.
- S. Lawrence, C. L. Giles, and A. C. Tsoi, “What size neural network gives optimal generalization? Convergence properties of back propagation,” Tech. Rep. UMIACS-TR-96-22 and CS-TR-3617, Institute for Advanced Computer Studies, University of Maryland, 1996.
- Xilinx, XST User Guide, Xilinx Inc., 2009.
- T. Y. Young and K. Fu, Handbook of Pattern Recognition and Image Processing, Academic Press, Orlando, Fla, USA, 1986.