- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Tribology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 258307, 14 pages
Effect of the Material Parameters on Layered Viscoelastic Frictional Contact Systems
Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering, Zagazig University, Zagazig 44511, Egypt
Received 12 November 2009; Revised 19 March 2010; Accepted 29 March 2010
Academic Editor: Arvind Agarwal
Copyright © 2010 Fatin F. Mahmoud et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. L. Hopkins and R. W. Hamming, “On creep and relaxation,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 906–909, 1957.
- E. H. Lee and T. G. Rogers, “Solution of viscoelastic stress analysis problems using measured creep or relaxation functions,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 127–133, 1963.
- R. L. Taylor and T. Y. Chang, “An approximate method for thermoviscoelastic stress analysis,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 1966.
- R. L. Taylor, K. S. Pister, and G. L. Goudreau, “Thermomechanical analysis of viscoelastic solids,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 45–59, 1970.
- M. A. Zocher, A thermoviscoelastic finite element formulation for the analysis of composites, Ph.D. dissertation, Texas A & M University, Collage Station, Tex, USA, 1995.
- M. A. Zocher, S. E. Groves, and D. H. Allen, “A three-dimensional finite element formulation for thermoviscoelastic orthotropic media,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 2267–2288, 1997.
- B. Jurkiewiez, J.-F. Destrebecq, and A. Vergne, “Incremental analysis of time-dependent effects in composite structures,” Computers & Structures, vol. 73, no. 1–5, pp. 425–435, 1999.
- W. H. Chen, C. M. Chang, and J. T. Yeh, “Finite element analysis of viscoelastic contact problems with friction,” in Proceedings of the 15th National Conference on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, pp. 713–720, Tainan, Taiwan, 1991.
- M. Rochdi, M. Shillor, and M. Sofonea, “Quasistatic viscoelastic contact with normal compliance and friction,” Journal of Elasticity, vol. 33, no. 2-3, pp. 105–126, 1998.
- M. Shillor and M. Sofonea, “Quasistatic viscoelastic contact problem with friction,” International Journal of Engineering Science, vol. 38, no. 14, pp. 1517–1533, 2000.
- B. Awbi, M. Rochdi, and M. Sofonea, “Abstract evolution equations for viscoelastic frictional contact problems,” Journal of Applied Mathematics and Physics, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 218–235, 2000.
- W. Han and M. Sofonea, “Evolutionary variational inequalities arising in viscoelastic contact problems,” SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 556–579, 2001.
- B. Awabi, O. Chau, and M. Sofonea, “Variational and numerical analysis for a frictional contact problem for viscoelastic bodies,” International Mathematical Journal, vol. 1, pp. 333–348, 2002.
- W. Han and M. Sofonea, Quasistatic Contact Problems in Viscoelasticity and Viscoplasticity, Studies in Advanced Mathematics 30, AMS-IP, American Mathematical Society, International Press, Somerville, Mass, USA, 2002.
- M. Campo, J. R. Fernández, and J. M. Viaño, “Numerical analysis and simulations of a quasistatic frictional contact problem with damage in viscoelasticity,” Journal of Computational & Applied Mathematics, vol. 192, no. 1, pp. 30–39, 2006.
- F. F. Mahmoud, A. G. El-Shafei, and M. A. Attia, “An incremental adaptive procedure for viscoelastic contact problems,” Journal of Tribology, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 305–313, 2007.
- F. F. Mahmoud, A. G. El-Shafei, A. E. Al-Shorbagy, and A. A. Abdel-Rahman, “A numerical solution for quasistatic viscoelastic frictional contact problems,” Journal of Tribology, vol. 130, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2008.
- P. Wriggers, Computational Contact Mechanics, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2nd edition, 2006.
- F. P. Bowden and D. Tabor, Friction: An Introduction to Tribology, Heinemann Mooks, London, UK, 1973.
- W. W. Tworzydlo, W. Cecot, J. T. Oden, and C. H. Yew, “Computational micro- and macroscopic models of contact and friction: formulation, approach and applications,” Wear, vol. 220, no. 2, pp. 113–140, 1998.
- J. T. Oden and E. B. Pires, “Nonlocal and nonlinear friction laws and variational principles for contact problems in elasticity,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 67–76, 1983.
- J. T. Oden and E. B. Pires, “Algorithms and numerical results for finite element approximations of contact problems with non-classical friction laws,” Computers & Structures, vol. 19, no. 1-2, pp. 137–147, 1984.
- K. L. Johnson, Contact Mechanics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1985.
- M. J. Jaffar, “Asymptotic behaviour of thin elastic layers bonded and unbonded to a rigid foundation,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 229–235, 1989.
- J. R. Barber, “Contact problems for the thin elastic layer,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 129–132, 1990.
- M. Teodorescu, H. Rahnejat, R. Gohar, and D. Dowson, “Harmonic decomposition analysis of contact mechanics of bonded layered elastic solids,” Applied Mathematical Modelling, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 467–485, 2009.
- G. R. Naghieh, Z. M. Jin, and H. Rahnejat, “Contact characteristics of viscoelastic bonded layers,” Applied Mathematical Modelling, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 569–581, 1998.
- G. R. Naghieh, H. Rahnejat, and Z. M. Jin, “Characteristics of frictionless contact of bonded elastic and viscoelastic layered solids,” Wear, vol. 232, no. 2, pp. 243–249, 1999.
- M. J. Jaffar, “A numerical investigation of the sinusoidal model for elastic layers in line contact,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 497–506, 1997.
- M. J. Jaffar, “Effect of friction on subsurface stresses in sliding line contact of multilayered elastic solids,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 37, no. 44, pp. 6571–6575, 2001.
- M. J. Jaffar, “The effect of sinusoidal roughness profile upon rolling plane layered contact,” Tribology International, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 171–180, 2001.
- I. Goryacheva and F. Sadeghi, “Contact characteristics of a rolling/sliding cylinder and a viscoelastic layer bonded to an elastic substrate,” Wear, vol. 184, no. 2, pp. 125–132, 1995.
- I. Goryacheva, F. Sadeghi, and G. Xu, “Viscoelastic effects in lubricated contacts,” Wear, vol. 198, no. 1-2, pp. 307–312, 1996.
- L.-J. Xiao, X.-H. Sui, and D.-J. Miao, “Study on mechanics of driving drum with superelastic convexity surface covering-layer structure,” Journal of Bionic Engineering, vol. 5, supplement 1, pp. 60–65, 2008.
- M. L. Williams, “Structural analysis of viscoelastic materials,” AIAA Journal, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 785–808, 1964.
- M. M. Hassan and F. F. Mahmoud, “A generalized adaptive incremental approach for solving inequality problems of convex nature,” Structural Engineering & Mechanics, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 461–474, 2004.
- J. Dunders, Properties of Elastic Bodies in Contact, Delft University Press, Delft, The Netherlands, 1974.
- R. A. Schapery, “Viscoelastic behavior and analysis of composite materials,” in Mechanics of Composite Materials, G. P. Sendeckyj, Ed., pp. 85–168, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1974.
- E. Rabinowicz, Friction and Wear of Materials, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- K. J. Bathe, Finite Element Procedures, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 1996.
- S. A. Mohamed, M. M. Helal, and F. F. Mahmoud, “An incremental convex programming model of the elastic frictional contact problems,” Structural Engineering & Mechanics, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 431–447, 2006.