- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 715892, 5 pages
Health-Related Quality of Life after Cystectomy and Urinary Diversion for Bladder Cancer
1Department of Urology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
2Division of Urology, VA Puget Sound Health Care System, 1660 South Columbian Way, S-112-GU, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
Received 27 March 2011; Accepted 2 June 2011
Academic Editor: Maxwell V. Meng
Copyright © 2011 Cheryl Shih and Michael P. Porter. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, R. Siegel, J. Xu, and E. Ward, “Cancer statistics, 2010,” CA: Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 277–300, 2010.
- American Cancer Society, “I. bladder cancer statistics,” 2010, http://www.cancer.org.
- H. W. Herr and P. C. Sogani, “Does early cystectomy improve the survival of patients with high risk superficial bladder tumors?” Journal of Urology, vol. 166, no. 4, pp. 1296–1299, 2001.
- R. E. Hautmann, H. Abol-Enein, K. Hafez, et al., “Urinary diversion,” Urology, vol. 69, 1, pp. 17–49, 2007.
- S. M. Yong, N. Dublin, R. Pickard, D. J. Cody, D. E. Neal, and J. N'Dow, “Urinary diversion and bladder reconstruction/replacement using intestinal segments for intractable incontinence or following cystectomy,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 1, p. CD003306, 2003.
- M. A. Testa and D. C. Simonson, “Assessment of quality-of-life outcomes,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 334, no. 13, pp. 835–840, 1996.
- M. P. Porter, J. T. Wei, and D. F. Penson, “Quality of life issues in bladder cancer patients following cystectomy and urinary diversion,” Urologic Clinics of North America, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 207–216, 2005.
- J. E. Ware and C. D. Sherbourne, “The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36). I. Conceptual framework and item selection,” Medical Care, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 473–483, 1992.
- M. Bergner and R. A. Bobbitt, “The sickness impact profile: development and final revision of a health status measure,” Medical Care, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 787–805, 1981.
- N. K. Aaronson, S. Ahmedzai, B. Bergman et al., “The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer QLQ-C30: a quality-of-life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 85, no. 5, pp. 365–376, 1993.
- D. F. Cella, D. S. Tulsky, G. Gray et al., “The functional assessment of cancer therapy scale: development and validation of the general measure,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 570–579, 1993.
- A. Bottomley and N. K. Aaronson, “International perspective on health-related quality-of-life research in cancer clinical trials: the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer experience,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 32, pp. 5082–5086, 2007.
- M. S. Cookson, S. C. Dutta, S. S. Chang, T. Clark, J. A. Smith, and N. Wells, “Health related quality of life in patients treated with radical cystectomy and urinary diversion for urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: development and validation of a new disease specific questionnaire,” Journal of Urology, vol. 170, no. 5, pp. 1926–1930, 2003.
- M. F. Botteman, C. L. Pashos, R. S. Hauser, B. L. Laskin, and A. Redaelli, “Quality of life aspects of bladder cancer: a review of the literature,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 675–688, 2003.
- S. M. Gilbert, R. L. Dunn, B. K. Hollenbeck et al., “Development and validation of the Bladder Cancer Index: a comprehensive, disease specific measure of health related quality of life in patients with localized bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 183, no. 5, pp. 1764–1769, 2010.
- J. L. Wright and M. P. Porter, “Quality-of-life assessment in patients with bladder cancer,” Nature Clinical Practice Urology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 147–154, 2007.
- M. P. Porter and D. F. Penson, “Health related quality of life after radical cystectomy and urinary diversion for bladder cancer: a systematic review and critical analysis of the literature,” Journal of Urology, vol. 173, no. 4, pp. 1318–1322, 2005.
- J. Hardt, D. Filipas, R. Hohenfellner, and U. T. Egle, “Quality of life in patients with bladder carcinoma after cystectomy: first results of a prospective study,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2000.
- B. D. Bjerre, C. Johansen, and K. Steven, “Health-related quality of life after cystectomy: bladder substitution compared with ileal conduit diversion. A questionnaire survey,” British Journal of Urology, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 200–205, 1995.
- C. Conde Redondo, J. Estébanez Zarranz, A. Rodríguez Tovez, J. Amón Sesmero, D. Alonso Fernández, and J. M. Martínez Sagarra, “Quality of life in patients treated with orthotopic bladder substitution versus cutaneous ileostomy,” Actas Urologicas Espanolas, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 435–444, 2001.
- A. Mansson, G. Johnson, and W. Mansson, “Quality of life after cystectomy. Comparison between patients with conduit and those with continent caecal reservoir urinary diversion,” British Journal of Urology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 240–245, 1988.
- A. Hobisch, K. Tosun, J. Kinzl et al., “Life after cystectomy and orthotopic neobladder versus ileal conduit urinary diversion,” Seminars in Urologic Oncology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 18–23, 2001.
- H. Kitamura, N. Miyao, M. Yanase et al., “Quality of life in patients having an ileal conduit, continent reservoir or orthotopic neobladder after cystectomy for bladder carcinoma,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 393–399, 1999.
- Y. Okada, K. Oishi, Y. Shichiri et al., “Quality of life survey of urinary diversion patients: comparison of continent urinary diversion versus ileal conduit,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 26–31, 1997.
- S. C. Dutta, S. S. Chang, C. S. Coffey, J. A. Smith, G. Jack, and M. S. Cookson, “Health related quality of life assessment after radical cystectomy: comparison of ileal conduit with continent orthotopic neobladder,” Journal of Urology, vol. 168, no. 1, pp. 164–167, 2002.
- S. Hart, E. C. Skinner, B. E. Meyerowitz, S. Boyd, G. Lieskovsky, and D. G. Skinner, “Quality of life after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer in patients with an ileal conduit, cutaneous or urethral kock pouch,” Journal of Urology, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 77–81, 1999.
- E. W. Gerharz, A. Månsson, S. Hunt, E. C. Skinner, and W. Månsson, “Quality of life after cystectomy and urinary diversion: an evidence based analysis,” Journal of Urology, vol. 174, no. 5, pp. 1729–1736, 2005.
- S. M. Gilbert, D. P. Wood, R. L. Dunn et al., “Measuring health-related quality of life outcomes in bladder cancer patients using the Bladder Cancer Index (BCI).,” Cancer, vol. 109, no. 9, pp. 1756–1762, 2007.
- B. K. Somani, D. Gimlin, P. Fayers, and J. N'Dow, “Quality of life and body image for bladder cancer patients undergoing radical cystectomy and urinary diversion—a prospective cohort study with a systematic review of literature,” Urology, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 1138–1143, 2009.
- R. C. Hedgepeth, S. M. Gilbert, C. He, C. T. Lee, and D. P. Wood, “Body image and bladder cancer specific quality of life in patients with ileal conduit and neobladder urinary diversions,” Urology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 671–675, 2010.
- A. Månsson, M. Al Amin, P. U. Malmström, H. Wijkström, H. Abol Enein, and W. Månsson, “Patient-assessed outcomes in Swedish and Egyptian men undergoing radical cystectomy and orthotopic bladder substitution—a prospective comparative study,” Urology, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 1086–1090, 2007.
- J. L. Lagrange, C. Bascoul-Mollevi, L. Geoffrois et al., “Quality of life assessment after concurrent chemoradiation for invasive bladder cancer: results of a multicenter prospective study (GETUG 97-015),” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 172–178, 2011.