- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 181964, 11 pages
Clinical Significance of ErbB Receptor Family in Urothelial Carcinoma of the Bladder: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
1Department of Urology, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, Tainan 70403, Taiwan
2Department of Urology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan 70403, Taiwan
3Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, Tainan 70403, Taiwan
Received 4 April 2012; Revised 16 May 2012; Accepted 16 May 2012
Academic Editor: Trinity J. Bivalacqua
Copyright © 2012 Yuh-Shyan Tsai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Stenzl, N. C. Cowan, M. De Santis et al., “The updated EAU guidelines on muscle-invasive and metastatic bladder cancer,” European Urology, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 815–825, 2009.
- M. Rouprêt, R. Zigeuner, J. Palou et al., “European guidelines for the diagnosis and management of upper urinary tract urothelial cell carcinomas: 2011 update,” European Urology, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 584–594, 2011.
- C. H. Heldin, “Dimerization of cell surface receptors in signal transduction,” Cell, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 213–223, 1995.
- R. Pinkas-Kramarski, M. Shelly, S. Glathe, B. J. Ratzkin, and Y. Yarden, “Neu differentiation factor/neuregulin isoforms activate distinct receptor combinations,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 271, no. 32, pp. 19029–19032, 1996.
- N. H. Chow, S. H. Chan, T. S. Tzai, C. L. Ho, and H. S. Liu, “Expression profiles of ErbB family receptors and prognosis in primary transitional cell carcinoma of the urinary bladder,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 1957–1962, 2001.
- S. V. Sharma, D. W. Bell, J. Settleman, and D. A. Haber, “Epidermal growth factor receptor mutations in lung cancer,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 169–181, 2007.
- T. J. Lynch, D. W. Bell, R. Sordella et al., “Activating mutations in the epidermal growth factor receptor underlying responsiveness of non-small-cell lung cancer to gefitinib,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 21, pp. 2129–2139, 2004.
- K. I. Pritchard, L. E. Shepherd, F. P. O'Malley et al., “HER2 and responsiveness of breast cancer to adjuvant chemotherapy,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 20, pp. 2103–2111, 2006.
- D. Slamon, W. Eiermann, N. Robert et al., “Adjuvant trastuzumab in HER2-positive breast cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 365, no. 14, pp. 1273–1283, 2011.
- M. R. Freeman, “HER2/HER3 heterodimers in prostate cancer: whither HER1/EGFR?” Cancer Cell, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 427–428, 2004.
- G. Blackledge, W. R. Sellers, and M. R. Smith, “Growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors; clinical development and potential for prostate cancer therapy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 170, no. 6, pp. S77–S83, 2003.
- Y. Yan, G. L. Andriole, P. A. Humphrey, and A. S. Kibel, “Patterns of multiple recurrences of superficial (Ta/T1) transitional cell carcinoma of bladder and effects of clinicopathologic and biochemical factors,” Cancer, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 1239–1246, 2002.
- A. Chakravarti, K. Winter, C. L. Wu et al., “Expression of the epidermal growth factor receptor and Her-2 are predictors of favorable outcome and reduced complete response rates, respectively, in patients with muscle-invading bladder cancers treated by concurrent radiation and cisplatin-based chemotherapy: a report from the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 309–317, 2005.
- P. Lipponen and M. Eskelinen, “Expression of epidermal growth factor receptor in bladder cancer as related to established prognostic factors, oncoprotein (c-erbB-2, p53) expression and long-term prognosis,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 1120–1125, 1994.
- D. E. Neal, L. Sharples, K. Smith, J. Fennelly, R. R. Hall, and A. L. Harris, “The epidermal growth factor receptor and the prognosis of bladder cancer,” Cancer, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 1619–1625, 1990.
- W. Kassouf, P. C. Black, T. Tuziak et al., “Distinctive expression pattern of ErbB family receptors signifies an aggressive variant of bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 179, no. 1, pp. 353–358, 2008.
- A. Pich, L. Chiusa, A. Formiconi et al., “Proliferative activity is the most significant predictor of recurrence in noninvasive papillary urothelial neoplasms of low malignant potential and grade 1 papillary carcinomas of the bladder,” Cancer, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 784–790, 2002.
- B. Têtu, Y. Fradet, P. Allard, C. Veilleux, N. Roberge, and P. Bernard, “Prevalence and clinical significance of HER-2/neu, p53 and Rb expression in primary superficial bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 155, no. 5, pp. 1784–1788, 1996.
- V. Ravery, M. Colombel, Z. Popov et al., “Prognostic value of epidermal growth factor-receptor, T138 and T43 expression in bladder cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 196–200, 1995.
- Z. Popov, S. Gil-Diez-De-Medina, V. Ravery et al., “Prognostic value of EGF receptor and tumor cell proliferation in bladder cancer: therapeutic implications,” Urologic Oncology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 93–101, 2004.
- M. Gallucci, E. Vico, R. Merola et al., “Adverse genetic prognostic profiles define a poor outcome for cystectomy in bladder cancer,” Experimental and Molecular Pathology, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 385–391, 2007.
- R. Gandour-Edwards, P. N. Lara, A. K. Folkins et al., “Does HER2/neu expression provide prognostic information in patients with advanced urothelial carcinoma?” Cancer, vol. 95, no. 5, pp. 1009–1015, 2002.
- M. Underwood, J. Bartlett, J. Reeves, D. S. Gardiner, R. Scott, and T. Cooke, “C-erbB-2 gene amplification: a molecular marker in recurrent bladder tumors?” Cancer Research, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 2422–2430, 1995.
- Y. S. Tsai, T. S. Tzai, N. H. Chow et al., “Prognostic values of p53 and HER-2/neu coexpression in invasive bladder cancer in Taiwan,” Urologia Internationalis, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 262–270, 2003.
- A. Haitel, B. Posch, M. El-Baz et al., “Bilharzial related, organ confined, muscle invasive bladder cancer: prognostic value of apoptosis markers, proliferation markers, p53, E-cadherin, epidermal growth factor receptor and c-erbB-2,” Journal of Urology, vol. 165, no. 5 I, pp. 1481–1487, 2001.
- H. M. Khaled, A. A. Bahnassy, A. A. Raafat, A. R. N. Zekri, M. S. Madboul, and N. M. Mokhtar, “Clinical significance of altered nm23-H1, EGFR, RB and p53 expression in bilharzial bladder cancer,” BMC Cancer, vol. 9, article 32, 2009.
- F. Liedberg, H. Anderson, G. Chebil et al., “Tissue microarray based analysis of prognostic markers in invasive bladder cancer: much effort to no avail?” Urologic Oncology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 17–24, 2008.
- A. A. Memon, B. S. Sorensen, P. Meldgaard, L. Fokdal, T. Thykjaer, and E. Nexo, “The relation between survival and expression of HER1 and HER2 depends on the expression of HER3 and HER4: a study in bladder cancer patients,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 94, no. 11, pp. 1703–1709, 2006.
- V. B. Thøgersen, B. S. Sørensen, S. S. Poulsen, T. F. Ørntoft, H. Wolf, and E. Nexo, “A subclass of HER1 ligands is a prognostic marker for survival in bladder cancer patients,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 16, pp. 6227–6233, 2001.
- U. Lonn, S. Lonn, S. Friberg, B. Nilsson, C. Silfversward, and B. Stenkvist, “Prognostic value of amplification of c-erb-B2 in bladder carcinoma,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 1, no. 10, pp. 1189–1194, 1995.
- H. Miyamoto, Y. Kubota, S. Noguchi et al., “C-erbB-2 gene amplification as a prognostic marker in human bladder cancer,” Urology, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 679–683, 2000.
- R. Simon, R. Atefy, U. Wagner et al., “HER-2 and TOP2A coamplification in urinary bladder cancer,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 107, no. 5, pp. 764–772, 2003.
- R. E. Jimenez, M. Hussain, F. J. Bianco et al., “Her-2/neu overexpression in muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: prognostic significance and comparative analysis in primary and metastatic tumors,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 2440–2447, 2001.
- S. B. Kolla, A. Seth, M. K. Singh et al., “Prognostic significance of Her2/neu overexpression in patients with muscle invasive urinary bladder cancer treated with radical cystectomy,” International Urology and Nephrology, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 321–327, 2008.
- S. Krüger, G. Weitsch, H. Büttner et al., “HER2 overexpression in muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: prognostic implications,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 514–518, 2002.
- S. Krüger, A. Mahnken, I. Kausch, and A. C. Feller, “Value of clusterin immunoreactivity as a predictive factor in muscle-invasive urothelial bladder carcinoma,” Urology, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 105–109, 2006.
- K. Sato, M. Moriyama, S. Mori et al., “An immunohistologic evaluation of c-erbB-2 gene product in patients with urinary bladder carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 70, no. 10, pp. 2493–2498, 1992.
- Y. L. S. Wong, E. R. Plimack, D. J. Vaughn et al., “Effect of EGFR inhibition with cetuximab on the efficacy of paclitaxel in previously treated metastatic urothelial cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, supplement 7, abstract 243, 2011.
- G. K. Philips, S. Halabi, B. L. Sanford, D. Bajorin, and E. J. Small, “A phase II trial of cisplatin, fixed dose-rate gemcitabine and gefitinib for advanced urothelial tract carcinoma: results of the Cancer and Leukaemia Group B 90102,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 20–25, 2008.
- G. K. Philips, S. Halabi, B. L. Sanford, D. Bajorin, and E. J. Small, “A phase II trial of cisplatin (C), gemcitabine (G) and gefitinib for advanced urothelial tract carcinoma: results of Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB) 90102,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1074–1079, 2009.
- D. P. Petrylak, C. M. Tangen, P. J. Van Veldhuizen et al., “Results: of the Southwest Oncology Group phase II evaluation (study S0031) of ZD1839 for advanced transitional cell carcinoma of the urothelium,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 317–321, 2010.
- C. Wülfing, J. P. H. Machiels, D. J. Richel et al., “A single-arm, multicenter, open-label phase 2 study of lapatinib as the second-line treatment of patients with locally advanced or metastatic transitional cell carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 13, pp. 2881–2890, 2009.
- T. K. Choueiri, R. W. Ross, S. Jacobus et al., “Double-blind, randomized trial of docetaxel plus vandetanib versus docetaxel plus placebo in platinum-pretreated metastatic urothelial cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 507–512, 2012.
- M. Heimberg, I. Weinstein, V. S. LeQuire, and S. Cohen, “The induction of fatty liver in neonatal animals by a purified protein (EGF) from mouse submaxillary gland,” Life Sciences, vol. 4, no. 17, pp. 1625–1633, 1965.
- S. Cohen, G. Carpenter, and L. King, “Epidermal growth factor-receptor-protein kinase interactions. Co-purification of receptor and epidermal growth factor-enhanced phosphorylation activity,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 255, no. 10, pp. 4834–4842, 1980.
- D. E. Neal, K. Smith, J. A. Fennelly, M. K. Bennett, R. R. Hall, and A. L. Harris, “Epidermal growth factor receptor in human bladder cancer: a comparison of immunohistochemistry and ligand binding,” Journal of Urology, vol. 141, no. 3 I, pp. 517–521, 1989.
- N. H. Chow, H. S. Liu, E. I. C. Lee et al., “Significance of urinary epidermal growth factor and its receptor expression in human bladder cancer,” Anticancer Research, vol. 17, no. 2B, pp. 1293–1296, 1997.
- A. L. Mattila, J. Perheentupa, K. Pesonen, and L. Viinikka, “Epidermal growth factor in human urine from birth to puberty,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 997–1000, 1985.
- K. Stromberg, M. Duffy, C. Fritsch et al., “Comparison of urinary transforming growth factor-alpha in women with disseminated breast cancer and healthy control women,” Cancer Detection and Prevention, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 277–283, 1991.
- A. Ullrich and J. Schlessinger, “Signal transduction by receptors with tyrosine kinase activity,” Cell, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 203–212, 1990.
- M. A. Lemmon and J. Schlessinger, “Cell signaling by receptor tyrosine kinases,” Cell, vol. 141, no. 7, pp. 1117–1134, 2010.
- M. A. Olayioye, R. M. Neve, H. A. Lane, and N. E. Hynes, “The ErbB signaling network: receptor heterodimerization in development and cancer,” EMBO Journal, vol. 19, no. 13, pp. 3159–3167, 2000.
- M. A. Olayioye, D. Graus-Porta, R. R. Beerli, J. Rohrer, B. Gay, and N. E. Hynes, “ErbB-1 and ErbB-2 acquire distinct signaling properties dependent upon their dimerization partner,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 5042–5051, 1998.
- J. Yoshida, T. Ishibashi, and M. Nishio, “Growth-inhibitory effect of a streptococcal antitumor glycoprotein on human epidermoid carcinoma A431 cells: involvement of dephosphorylation of epidermal growth factor receptor,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 16, pp. 6151–6157, 2001.
- X. B. Qiu and A. L. Goldberg, “Nrdp1/FLRF is a ubiquitin ligase promoting ubiquitination and degradation of the epidermal growth factor receptor family member, ErbB3,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 23, pp. 14843–14848, 2002.
- H. A. J. Alwan, E. J. J. Van Zoelen, and J. E. M. Van Leeuwen, “Ligand-induced lysosomal epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) degradation is preceded by proteasome-dependent EGFR de-ubiquitination,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 37, pp. 35781–35790, 2003.
- P. O. Hackel, E. Zwick, N. Prenzel, and A. Ullrich, “Epidermal growth factor receptors: critical mediators of multiple receptor pathways,” Current Opinion in Cell Biology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 184–189, 1999.
- J. L. Marks, M. McLellan, M. F. Zakowski et al., “Mutational analysis of EGFR and related signaling pathway genes in lung adenocarcinomas identifies a novel somatic kinase domain mutation in FGFR4,” PLoS ONE, vol. 2, no. 5, article e426, 2007.
- Y. Nieto, F. Nawaz, R. B. Jones, E. J. Shpall, and S. Nawaz, “Prognostic significance of overexpression and phosphorylation of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) and the presence of truncated EGFRvIII in locoregionally advanced breast cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 28, pp. 4405–4413, 2007.
- L. A. Akslen, H. Puntervoll, I. M. Bachmann et al., “Mutation analysis of the EGFR-NRAS-BRAF pathway in melanomas from black Africans and other subgroups of cutaneous melanoma,” Melanoma Research, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 2008.
- C. Peraldo-Neia, G. Migliardi, M. Mello-Grand et al., “Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) mutation analysis, gene expression profiling and EGFR protein expression in primary prostate cancer,” BMC Cancer, vol. 11, article 31, 2011.
- Z. Latif, A. D. Watters, I. Dunn, K. M. Grigor, M. Underwood, and J. Bartlett, “HER2/neu overexpression in the development of muscle-invasive transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 89, no. 7, pp. 1305–1309, 2003.
- R. Avraham and Y. Yarden, “Feedback regulation of EGFR signalling: decision making by early and delayed loops,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 104–117, 2011.
- D. Amsellem-Ouazana, P. Beuzeboc, M. Peyromaure, A. Viellefond, M. Zerbib, and B. Debre, “Management of primary resistance to gemcitabine and cisplatin (G-C) chemotherapy in metastatic bladder cancer with HER2 over-expression,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 15, no. 3, p. 538, 2004.
- Y. S. Tsai, T. S. Tzai, and N. H. Chow, “Does HER2 immunoreactivity provide prognostic information in locally advanced urothelial carcinoma patients receiving adjuvant M-VEC chemotherapy?” Urologia Internationalis, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 210–216, 2007.
- P. Puppo, G. Conti, F. Francesca, A. Mandressi, and A. Naselli, “New Italian guidelines on bladder cancer, based on the World Health Organization 2004 classification,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 168–179, 2010.
- A. Stenzl, N. C. Cowan, M. De Santis et al., “Treatment of muscle-invasive and metastatic bladder cancer: update of the EAU guidelines,” European Urology, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 1009–1018, 2011.
- A. Laupacis, G. Wells, W. S. Richardson et al., “Users' guides to the medical literature: V. How to use an article about prognosis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 272, no. 3, pp. 234–237, 1994.
- N. Malats, A. Bustos, C. M. Nascimento et al., “P53 as a prognostic marker for bladder cancer: a meta-analysis and review,” Lancet Oncology, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 678–686, 2005.