- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 539648, 6 pages
The Role of Pathology in Small Renal Mass Laparoscopic Cryoablation
1Department of Urology, St. Lucas Andreas Hospital, 1006 AE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2Department of Pathology, St. Lucas Andreas Hospital, 1006 AE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3Department of Pathology, Erasmus Medical Center, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Received 16 September 2011; Revised 27 December 2011; Accepted 10 January 2012
Academic Editor: Miroslav L. Djordjevic
Copyright © 2012 B. W. Lagerveld et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. H. Chow, S. S. Devesa, J. L. Warren, and J. F. Fraumeni, “Rising incidence of renal cell cancer in the United States,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 281, no. 17, pp. 1628–1631, 1999.
- M. R. Cooperberg, K. Mallin, J. Ritchey, J. D. Villalta, P. R. Carroll, and C. J. Kane, “Decreasing size at diagnosis of stage 1 renal cell carcinoma: analysis from the National Cancer Data Base, 1993 to 2004,” Journal of Urology, vol. 179, no. 6, pp. 2131–2135, 2008.
- S. G. Silverman, G. M. Israel, B. R. Herts, and J. P. Richie, “Management of the incidental renal mass1,” Radiology, vol. 249, no. 1, pp. 16–31, 2008.
- I. Frank, M. L. Blute, J. C. Cheville, C. M. Lohse, A. L. Weaver, and H. Zincke, “Solid renal tumors: an analysis of pathological features related to tumor size,” Journal of Urology, vol. 170, no. 6 I, pp. 2217–2220, 2003.
- T. Klatte, J. J. Patard, M. de Martino et al., “Tumor size does not predict risk of metastatic disease or prognosis of small renal cell Carcinomas,” Journal of Urology, vol. 179, no. 5, pp. 1719–1726, 2008.
- R. M. Hsu, D. Y. Chan, and S. S. Siegelman, “Small renal cell Carcinomas: correlation of size with tumor stage, nuclear grade, and histologic subtype,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 182, no. 3, pp. 551–557, 2004.
- M. Remzi, D. Katzenbeisser, M. Waldert et al., “Renal tumour size measured radiologically before surgery is an unreliable variable for predicting histopathological features: benign tumours are not necessarily small,” Brtish Journal of Urology International, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 1002–1006, 2007.
- H. Van Poppel and S. Joniau, “Is surveillance an option for the treatment of small renal masses?” European Urology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1323–1330, 2007.
- A. Kutikov, M. C. Smaldone, B. L. Egleston et al., “Anatomic features of enhancing renal masses predict malignant and high-grade pathology: a preoperative nomogram using the RENAL nephrometry score,” European Urology, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 241–248, 2011.
- M. Sun, F. Abdollah, M. Bianchi et al., “A stage-for-stage and grade-for-grade analysis of cancer-specific mortality rates in renal cell carcinoma according to age: a competing-risks regression analysis,” European Urology, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 1152–1159, 2011.
- M. Remzi, M. Özsoy, H. C. Klingler et al., “Are small renal tumors harmless? Analysis of histopathological features according to tumors 4 Cm or less in diameter,” Journal of Urology, vol. 176, no. 3, pp. 896–899, 2006.
- J. M. Hollingsworth, D. C. Miller, S. Daignault, and B. K. Hollenbeck, “Rising incidence of small renal masses: a need to reassess treatment effect,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 98, no. 18, pp. 1331–1334, 2006.
- J. Schmidbauer, M. Remzi, M. Memarsadeghi et al., “Diagnostic accuracy of computed tomography-guided percutaneous biopsy of renal masses,” European Urology, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1003–1012, 2008.
- S. C. Campbell, A. C. Novick, A. Belldegrun et al., “Guideline for management of the clinical T1 renal mass,” Journal of Urology, vol. 182, no. 4, supplement, pp. 1271–1279, 2009.
- G. T. MacLennan and I. Cheng, “Neoplasms of the kidney,” in Urological Surgical Pathology, D. G. Bostwick and I. Cheng, Eds., pp. 77–171, Elsevier, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2nd edition, 2008.
- S. Pahernik, S. Ziegler, F. Roos, S. W. Melchior, and J. W. Thüroff, “Small renal tumors: correlation of clinical and pathological features with tumor size,” Journal of Urology, vol. 178, no. 2, pp. 414–417, 2007.
- G. Guazzoni, A. Cestari, N. Buffi et al., “Oncologic results of laparoscopic renal cryoablation for clinical T1a tumors: 8 years of experience in a single institution,” Urology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 624–629, 2010.
- B. F. Schwartz, J. C. Rewcastle, T. Powell, C. Whelan, T. Manny, and J. C. Vestal, “Cryoablation of small peripheral renal masses: a retrospective analysis,” Urology, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 14–18, 2006.
- C. J. Weight, J. H. Kaouk, N. J. Hegarty et al., “Correlation of radiographic imaging and histopathology following cryoablation and radio frequency ablation for renal tumors,” Journal of Urology, vol. 179, no. 4, pp. 1277–1283, 2008.
- D. S. Lehman, G. W. Hruby, C. K. Phillips, J. M. Mckiernan, M. C. Benson, and J. Landman, “First prize (tie)—Laparoscopic renal cryoablation: efficacy and complications for larger renal masses,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1123–1127, 2008.
- K. Barwari, P. W. T. Beemster, M. N. Hew, H. Wijkstra, J. De La Rosette, and M. P. Laguna, “Are there parameters that predict a nondiagnostic biopsy outcome taken during laparoscopic-assisted cryoablation of small renal tumors?” Journal of Endourology, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1463–1468, 2011.
- T. Klatte, B. Grubmüller, M. Waldert, P. Weibl, and M. Remzi, “Laparoscopic cryoablation versus partial nephrectomy for the treatment of small renal masses: systematic review and cumulative analysis of observational studies,” European Urology, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 435–443, 2011.
- R. H. Thompson, J. M. Kurta, M. Kaag et al., “Tumor size is associated With malignant potential in renal cell Carcinoma cases,” Journal of Urology, vol. 181, no. 5, pp. 2033–2036, 2009.
- R. A. Rendon and M. A. S. Jewett, “Expectant management for the treatment of small renal masses,” Urologic Oncology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 62–67, 2006.
- P. T. Johnson, L. N. Nazarian, R. I. Feld et al., “Sonographically guided renal mass biopsy: indications and efficacy,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 749–753, 2001.
- B. A. Kramer, C. M. Whelan, J. C. Vestal, and B. F. Schwartz, “Increasing the number of biopsy cores before renal cryoablation increases the diagnostic yield,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 283–286, 2009.
- A. Volpe, J. R. Kachura, W. R. Geddie et al., “Techniques, safety and accuracy of sampling of renal tumors by fine needle aspiration and core biopsy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 178, no. 2, pp. 379–386, 2007.
- J. N. Eble, G. Sauter, J. I. Epstein, and I. A. Sesterhenn, World Health Organization Classification of Tumours: Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of the Urinary System and Male Genital Organs, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France, 2004.
- B. R. Lane, D. Babineau, M. W. Kattan et al., “A preoperative prognostic nomogram for solid enhancing renal tumors 7 cm or less amenable to partial nephrectomy,” Journal of Urology, vol. 178, no. 2, pp. 429–434, 2007.
- B. R. Herts and M. E. Baker, “The current role of percutaneous biopsy in the evaluation of renal masses,” Seminars in Urologic Oncology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 254–261, 1995.