- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 609531, 5 pages
Port-Site Metastasis after Laparoscopic Surgery for Urological Malignancy: Forgotten or Missed
1The Urology Department, Royal Derby Hospital, Derby, DE22 3NE, UK
2The Urology Department, The Royal Free Hospital, London, NW3 2QG, UK
Received 30 April 2011; Revised 10 October 2011; Accepted 16 January 2012
Academic Editor: Walid A. Farhat
Copyright © 2012 N. Kadi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. D. Stewart and D. A. Tolley, “What are the oncological risks of minimal access surgery for the treatment of urinary tract cancer?” European Urology, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 415–420, 2004.
- G. Vitagliano, O. Castillo, J. M. Campero, I. Pinto, and M. DÌaz, “Laparoscopicretroperitoneal lymph node dissection for nonseminomatoustesticular cancer in stage T1 and T2,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 20, supplement 1, abstract MP 21-04, p. A235, 2006.
- G. Vitagliano, O. Castillo, I. Pinto, M. DÌaz, and M. Contreras, “Complications in laparoscopic transperitoneal partial nephrectomy,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 20, supplement 1, abstract MP 2-15, p. A10, 2006.
- O. A. Castillo, G. Vitagliano, M. Díaz, and R. Sánchez-Salas, “Port-site metastasis after laparoscopic partial nephrectomy: case report and literature review,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 404–407, 2007.
- A. Rané, M. K. Eng, and F. X. Keeley, “Port site metastases,” Current Opinion in Urology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 185–189, 2008.
- M. J. Curet, “Port site metastases,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 187, no. 6, pp. 705–712, 2004.
- Z. Dobronte, T. Wittman, and G. Karacsony, “Rapid development of malignant metastases in the abdominal wall after laparoscopy,” Endoscopy, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 127–130, 1978.
- S. Micali, A. Celia, P. Bove et al., “Tumor seeding in urological laparoscopy: an international survey,” Journal of Urology, vol. 171, no. 6 I, pp. 2151–2154, 2004.
- A. Tsivian and A. A. Sidi, “Port site metastases in urological laparoscopic surgery,” Journal of Urology, vol. 169, no. 4, pp. 1213–1218, 2003.
- J. Rassweiler, A. Tsivian, A. V. Ravi Kumar et al., “Oncological safety of laparoscopic surgery for urological malignancy: experience with more than 1,000 operations,” Journal of Urology, vol. 169, no. 6, pp. 2072–2075, 2003.
- P. Fornara, “Port site metastases: fact or fiction?” Urologe A, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 113–119, 2002.
- Y. W. Novitsky, D. E. M. Litwin, and M. P. Callery, “The net immunologic advantage of laparoscopic surgery,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1411–1419, 2004.
- R. A. Highshaw, F. Vakar-Lopez, E. Jonasch, A. W. Yasko, and S. F. Matin, “Port-site metastasis: the influence of biology,” European Urology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 357–360, 2005.
- M. W. Wichmann, T. P. Hüttl, H. Winter et al., “Immunological effects of laparoscopic vs open colorectal surgery. A prospective clinical study,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 140, no. 7, pp. 692–697, 2005.
- M. C. Ost, B. J. Tan, and B. R. Lee, “Urological laparoscopy: basic physiological considerations and immunological consequences,” Journal of Urology, vol. 174, no. 4 I, pp. 1183–1188, 2005.
- P. Sylla, I. Kirman, and R. L. Whelan, “Immunological advantages of advanced laparoscopy,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2005.
- E. Kuhry, J. Jeekel, and H. J. Bonjer, “Effect of laparoscopy on the immune system,” Seminars in Laparoscopic Surgery, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 37–44, 2004.
- S. Ikramuddin, J. Lucas, E. C. Ellison, W. J. Schirmer, and W. S. Melvin, “Detection of aerosolized cells during carbon dioxide laparoscopy,” Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 580–584, 1998.
- C. Jingli, C. Rong, and X. Rubai, “Influence of colorectal laparoscopic surgery on dissemination and seeding of tumor cells,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1759–1761, 2006.
- A. Tsivian, A. Shtabsky, J. Issakov, M. Gutman, A. A. Sidi, and A. Szold, “The effect of pneumoperitoneum on dissemination and scar implantation of intra-abdominal tumor cells,” Journal of Urology, vol. 164, no. 6, pp. 2096–2098, 2000.
- J. M. Burns, B. D. Matthews, H. S. Pollinger et al., “Effect of carbon dioxide pneumoperitoneum and wound closure technique on port site tumor implantation in a rat model,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 441–447, 2005.
- V. J. Halpin, R. A. Underwood, D. Ye et al., “Pneumoperitoneum does not influence trocar site implantation during tumor manipulation in a solid tumor model,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1636–1640, 2005.
- A. Gupta, D. I. Watson, T. Ellis, and G. G. Jamieson, “Tumour implantation following laparoscopy using different insufflation gases,” ANZ Journal of Surgery, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 254–257, 2002.
- D. Mutter, A. Hajri, V. Tassetti, C. Solis-Caxaj, M. Aprahamian, and J. Marescaux, “Increased tumor growth and spread after laparoscopy vs laparotomy: influence of tumor manipulation in a rat model,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 365–370, 1999.
- S. W. Lee, R. L. Whelan, J. C. Southall, and M. Bessler, “Abdominal wound tumor recurrence after open and laparoscopic-assisted splenectomy in a murine model,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 824–831, 1998.
- S. W. Lee, N. R. Gleason, M. Bessler, and R. L. Whelan, “Port site tumor recurrence rates in a murine model of laparoscopic splenectomy decreased with increased experience,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 805–811, 2000.
- J. T. Bishoff, “Laparoscopic radical nephrectomy: morcellate or leave intact? Definitely morcellate!,” Reviews in Urology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 34–37, 2002.
- I. Varkarakis, K. Rha, F. Hernandez, L. R. Kavoussi, and T. W. Jarrett, “Laparoscopic specimen extraction: morcellation,” British Journal of Urology International, Supplement, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 27–31, 2005.
- M. V. Meng, T. R. Miller, I. Cha, and M. L. Stoller, “Cytology of morcellated renal specimens: significance in diagnosis and dissemination,” Journal of Urology, vol. 169, no. 1, pp. 45–48, 2003.
- A. L. Shalhav, I. Leibovitch, R. Lev, D. M. Hoenig, and J. Ramon, “Is laparoscopic radical nephrectomy with specimen morcellation acceptable cancer surgery?” Journal of Endourology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 255–257, 1998.
- S. Kinugasa, E. Smith, P. A. Drew, D. I. Watson, and G. G. Jamieson, “Aspirin and indomethacin for the prevention of experimental port-site metastases,” Surgical Endoscopy and Other Interventional Techniques, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 834–838, 2004.
- P. Wittich, A. Mearadji, R. L. Marquet, and H. J. Bonjer, “Irrigation of port sites: prevention of port site metastases?” Journal of Laparoendoscopic and Advanced Surgical Techniques A, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 125–129, 2004.
- W. A. A. Tjalma, “Laparoscopic surgery and port-site metastases: routine measurements to reduce the risk,” European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology, vol. 24, no. 3-4, p. 236, 2003.
- R. Steinert, H. Lippert, and M. A. Reymond, “Tumor cell dissemination during laparoscopy: prevention and therapeutic opportunities,” Digestive Surgery, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 464–472, 2002.
- A. Agostini, S. Mattei, I. Ronda, et al., “Prevention of port-site metastasis after laparoscopy,” Gynécologie, Obstétrique & Fertilité, vol. 30, pp. 878–881, 2002.
- M. Pross, H. Lippert, G. Nestler et al., “Effect of low molecular weight heparin on intra-abdominal metastasis in a laparoscopic experimental study,” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 143–146, 2004.
- C. Schneider, A. Jung, M. A. Reymond et al., “Efficacy of surgical measures in preventing port-site recurrences in a porcine model,” Surgical Endoscopy, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 121–125, 2001.
- Y. T. Chen, S. S. D. Yang, C. H. Hsieh, and C. C. Wang, “Hand port-site metastasis of renal-cell carcinoma following hand-assisted laparoscopic radical nephrectomy: case report,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 771–773, 2003.