- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 653652, 7 pages
The Use of Regenerative Medicine in the Management of Invasive Bladder Cancer
1Southern Alberta Institute of Urology, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2V 1P9
2The James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21287-2101, USA
3University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Received 11 June 2012; Accepted 1 August 2012
Academic Editor: Nan-Haw Chow
Copyright © 2012 Matthew E. Hyndman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Siegel, D. Naishadham, and A. Jemal, “Cancer statistics, 2012,” Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 62, pp. 10–29, 2012.
- A. Jemal, R. Siegel, E. Ward et al., “Cancer statistics, 2008,” Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 71–96, 2008.
- D. M. Parkin, “The global burden of urinary bladder cancer,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology. Supplementum, no. 218, pp. 12–20, 2008.
- D. Wood, “Urothelial tumors of the bladder,” in Campbell-Walsh Urology, A. J. Wein, L. Kavoussi, A. C. Novick, A. W. Partin, and C. A. Peters, Eds., vol. 3, chapter 80, pp. 2309–2234, Elsevier, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 10th edition, 2012.
- A. Thelen and J. Schaeuble, “Simultaneous occurrence of bladder papilloma in uniovular twins,” Zeitschrift für Urologie, vol. 50, pp. 188–195, 1957.
- C. Cordon-Cardo, “Molecular alterations associated with bladder cancer initiation and progression,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology. Supplementum, no. 218, pp. 154–165, 2008.
- M. A. Knowles, “Bladder cancer subtypes defined by genomic alterations,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology. Supplementum, no. 218, pp. 116–130, 2008.
- M. García-Closas, N. Malats, D. Silverman et al., “NAT2 slow acetylation, GSTM1 null genotype, and risk of bladder cancer: results from the Spanish Bladder Cancer Study and meta-analyses,” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9486, pp. 649–659, 2005.
- R. C. Reulen, E. Kellen, F. Buntinx, M. Brinkman, and M. P. Zeegers, “A meta-analysis on the association between bladder cancer and occupation,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology. Supplementum, no. 218, pp. 64–78, 2008.
- E. Dryson, A. Mannetje, C. Walls et al., “Case-control study of high risk occupations for bladder cancer in New Zealand,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 122, no. 6, pp. 1340–1346, 2008.
- P. Brennan, O. Bogillot, S. Cordier, et al., “Cigarette smoking and bladder cancer in men: a pooled analysis of 11 case-control studies,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 1586, pp. 289–294, 2000.
- M. I. Fernandez, J. F. López, B. Vivaldi, and F. Coz, “Long-term impact of arsenic in drinking water on bladder cancer health care and mortality rates 20 years after end of exposure,” Journal of Urology, vol. 187, pp. 856–861, 2012.
- G. Talaska, “Aromatic amines and human urinary bladder cancer: exposure sources and epidemiology,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health C, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 29–43, 2003.
- H. K. Salem and S. Mahfouz, “Changing patterns, (age, incidence, and pathologic types) of schistosoma-associated bladder cancer in Egypt in the past decade,” Urology, vol. 79, pp. 379–383, 2012.
- S. P. S. C. Lerner, “Management of metastatic and invasive bladder cancer,” in Campbell-Walsh Urology, A. J. Wein, L. R. Kavoussi, A. C. Novick, A. W. Partin, and C. A. Peters, Eds., vol. 3, chapter 82, pp. 2355–2374, Elsvevier, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 10th edition, 2012.
- W. F. Whitmore Jr. and V. F. Marshall, “Radical total cystectomy for cancer of the bladder: 230 consecutive cases five years later,” Journal of Urology, vol. 87, pp. 853–868, 1962.
- M. S. Shimko, M. K. Tollefson, E. C. Umbreit, S. A. Farmer, M. L. Blute, and I. Frank, “Long-term complications of conduit urinary diversion,” Journal of Urology, vol. 185, no. 2, pp. 562–567, 2011.
- R. E. Hautmann, R. C. de Petriconi, and B. G. Volkmer, “25 years of experience with 1,000 neobladders: long-term complications,” Journal of Urology, vol. 185, no. 6, pp. 2207–2212, 2011.
- R. E. Hautmann, R. C. de Petriconi, and B. G. Volkmer, “Lessons learned from 1,000 neobladders: the 90-day complication rate,” Journal of Urology, vol. 184, no. 3, pp. 990–994, 2010.
- E. Kouba, M. Sands, A. Lentz, E. Wallen, and R. S. Pruthi, “Incidence and risk factors of stomal complications in patients undergoing cystectomy with ileal conduit urinary diversion for bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 178, no. 3, pp. 950–954, 2007.
- N. Lawrentschuk, R. Colombo, O. W. Hakenberg et al., “Prevention and management of complications following radical cystectomy for bladder cancer,” European Urology, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 983–1001, 2010.
- A. Shabsigh, R. Korets, K. C. Vora et al., “Defining early morbidity of radical cystectomy for patients with bladder cancer using a standardized reporting methodology,” European Urology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 164–176, 2009.
- C. J. Stimson, S. S. Chang, D. A. Barocas et al., “Early and late perioperative outcomes following radical cystectomy: 90-day readmissions, morbidity and mortality in a contemporary series,” Journal of Urology, vol. 184, no. 4, pp. 1296–1300, 2010.
- B. R. Konety, V. Allareddy, and H. Herr, “Complications after radical cystectomy: analysis of population-based data,” Urology, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 58–64, 2006.
- J. A. Nieuwenhuijzen, R. R. de Vries, A. Bex et al., “Urinary diversions after cystectomy: the association of clinical factors, complications and functional results of four different diversions,” European Urology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 834–844, 2008.
- A. M. Shapiro, C. Ricordi, B. J. Hering, et al., “International trial of the Edmonton protocol for islet transplantation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, pp. 1318–1330, 2006.
- E. G. Njie, S. Kantorovich, G. W. Astary, et al., “A preclinical assessment of neural stem cells as delivery vehicles for anti-amyloid therapeutics,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, Article ID e34097.
- E. C. Perin, G. V. Silva, Y. Zheng, et al., “Randomized, double-blind pilot study of transendocardial injection of autologous aldehyde dehydrogenase-bright stem cells in patients with ischemic heart failure,” American Heart Journal, vol. 163, pp. 415.e1–421.e1.
- S. W. Feng, F. Chen, J. Cao, et al., “Restoration of muscle fibers and satellite cells after isogenic MSC transplantation with microdystrophin gene delivery,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 419, pp. 1–6, 2012.
- P. Jungebluth, E. Alici, S. Baiguera, et al., “Tracheobronchial transplantation with a stem-cell-seeded bioartificial nanocomposite: a proof-of-concept study,” The Lancet, vol. 378, pp. 1997–2004, 2011.
- M. Ahmed, H. Ghanbari, B. G. Cousins, G. Hamilton, and A. M. Seifalian, “Small calibre polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane nanocomposite cardiovascular grafts: influence of porosity on the structure, haemocompatibility and mechanical properties,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 3857–3867, 2011.
- H. C. Ott, T. S. Matthiesen, S. K. Goh et al., “Perfusion-decellularized matrix: using nature's platform to engineer a bioartificial heart,” Nature Medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 213–221, 2008.
- E. A. Ross, M. J. Williams, T. Hamazaki et al., “Embryonic stem cells proliferate and differentiate when seeded into kidney scaffolds,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 2338–2347, 2009.
- K. L. Chen, D. Eberli, J. J. Yoo, and A. Atala, “Bioengineered corporal tissue for structural and functional restoration of the penis,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 8, pp. 3346–3350, 2010.
- J. J. Yoo, J. Olson, A. Atala, and B. Kim, “Regenerative medicine strategies for treating neurogenic bladder,” International Neurourology Journal, vol. 15, pp. 109–119, 2011.
- C. C. Roth, F. G. Mondalek, Y. Kibar et al., “Bladder regeneration in a canine model using hyaluronic acid-poly(lactic-co-glycolic-acid) nanoparticle modified porcine small intestinal submucosa,” BJU International, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 148–155, 2011.
- J. J. Yoo, J. Meng, F. Oberpenning, and A. Atala, “Bladder augmentation using allogenic bladder submucosa seeded with cells,” Urology, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 221–225, 1998.
- A. Atala, “Recent developments in tissue engineering and regenerative medicine,” Current Opinion in Pediatrics, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 167–171, 2006.
- J. Basu and J. W. Ludlow, “Platform technologies for tubular organ regeneration,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 526–533, 2010.
- C. Becker and G. Jakse, “Stem cells for regeneration of urological structures,” European Urology, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1217–1228, 2007.
- C. C. Roth and B. P. Kropp, “Recent advances in urologic tissue engineering,” Current Urology Reports, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 119–125, 2009.
- D. Wood and J. Southgate, “Current status of tissue engineering in urology,” Current Opinion in Urology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 564–569, 2008.
- J. Basu, C. W. Genheimer, K. I. Guthrie et al., “Expansion of the human adipose-derived stromal vascular cell fraction yields a population of smooth muscle-like cells with markedly distinct phenotypic and functional properties relative to mesenchymal stem cells,” Tissue Engineering C, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 843–860, 2011.
- T. W. B. Bertram and B. Spilker, Kidney and Bladder Regeneration: Pharmacological Methods. Regeneratie Pharmacology, chapter 4, Cambridge Press, 2012.
- Y. Loai, H. Yeger, C. Coz et al., “Bladder tissue engineering: tissue regeneration and neovascularization of HA-VEGF-incorporated bladder acellular constructs in mouse and porcine animal models,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 1205–1215, 2010.
- F. G. Mondalek, R. A. Ashley, C. C. Roth et al., “Enhanced angiogenesis of modified porcine small intestinal submucosa with hyaluronic acid-poly(lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles: from fabrication to preclinical validation,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 712–719, 2010.
- A. K. Sharma, M. I. Bury, N. J. Fuller, et al., “Growth factor release from a chemically modified elastomeric poly(1,8-octanediol-co-citrate) thin film promotes angiogenesis in vivo,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 100, pp. 561–570, 2012.
- H. Gerhardt and C. Betsholtz, “Endothelial-pericyte interactions in angiogenesis,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 314, no. 1, pp. 15–23, 2003.
- D. O. Traktuev, D. N. Prater, S. Merfeld-Clauss et al., “Robust functional vascular network formation in vivo by cooperation of adipose progenitor and endothelial cells,” Circulation Research, vol. 104, no. 12, pp. 1410–1420, 2009.
- D. O. Traktuev, S. Merfeld-Clauss, J. Li et al., “A population of multipotent CD34-positive adipose stromal cells share pericyte and mesenchymal surface markers, reside in a periendothelial location, and stabilize endothelial networks,” Circulation Research, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 77–85, 2008.
- I. Zachary and G. Gliki, “Signaling transduction mechanisms mediating biological actions of the vascular endothelial growth factor family,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 568–581, 2001.
- M. Biondi, F. Ungaro, F. Quaglia, and P. A. Netti, “Controlled drug delivery in tissue engineering,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 229–242, 2008.
- J. E. Leslie-Barbick, J. J. Moon, and J. L. West, “Covalently-immobilized vascular endothelial growth factor promotes endothelial cell tubulogenesis in poly(ethylene glycol) diacrylate hydrogels,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1763–1779, 2009.
- J. J. Moon, M. S. Hahn, I. Kim, B. A. Nsiah, and J. L. West, “Micropatterning of poly(ethylene glycol) diacrylate hydrogels with biomolecules to regulate and guide endothelial morphogenesis,” Tissue Engineering A, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 579–585, 2009.
- N. H. Davies, C. Schmidt, D. Bezuidenhout, and P. Zilla, “Sustaining neovascularization of a scaffold through staged release of vascular endothelial growth factor-A and platelet-derived growth factor-BB,” Tissue Engineering A, vol. 18, pp. 26–34, 2012.
- F. Caiado, T. Carvalho, F. Silva et al., “The role of fibrin E on the modulation of endothelial progenitors adhesion, differentiation and angiogenic growth factor production and the promotion of wound healing,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 29, pp. 7096–7105, 2011.
- P. J. Critser, S. T. Kreger, S. L. Voytik-Harbin, and M. C. Yoder, “Collagen matrix physical properties modulate endothelial colony forming cell-derived vessels in vivo,” Microvascular Research, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 23–30, 2010.