- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 693631, 7 pages
Urine Telomerase for Diagnosis and Surveillance of Bladder Cancer
Medical Oncology Department, Hospital Universitario La Paz, 28046 Madrid, Spain
Received 21 March 2012; Revised 31 May 2012; Accepted 4 June 2012
Academic Editor: Martin Schostak
Copyright © 2012 Angela Lamarca and Jorge Barriuso. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Jemal, F. Bray, M. M. Center, J. Ferlay, E. Ward, and D. Forman, “Global cancer statistics,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 69–90, 2011.
- D. Castellano, J. Carles, E. Esteban et al., “Recommendations for the optimal management of early and advanced urothelial carcinoma,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 431–441, 2012.
- J. Bellmunt, A. Orsola, T. Wiegel, M. Guix, M. De santis, and V. Kataja, “Bladder cancer: ESMO clinical practice guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 22, supplement 6, pp. vi45–vi49, 2011.
- H. von der Maase, “Pemetrexed in transitional cell carcinoma of the urothelium,” Oncology, vol. 18, no. 13, supplement, pp. 48–50, 2004.
- H. Von der Maase, “Gemcitabine-containing regimens in bladder cancer: a new standard of care,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 28, no. 3, supplement 10, pp. 1–3, 2001.
- J. Bellmunt, C. Théodore, T. Demkov et al., “Phase III trial of vinflunine plus best supportive care compared with best supportive care alone after a platinum-containing regimen in patients with advanced transitional cell carcinoma of the urothelial tract,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 27, pp. 4454–4461, 2009.
- A. P. Mitra and R. J. Cote, “Molecular screening for bladder cancer: progress and potential,” Nature Reviews Urology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 11–20, 2010.
- D. Tilki, M. Burger, G. Dalbagni et al., “Urine markers for detection and surveillance of non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer,” European Urology, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 484–492, 2011.
- Z. Z. Cheng, M. J. Corey, M. Pärepalo et al., “Complement factor H as a marker for detection of bladder cancer,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 856–863, 2005.
- R. Gibanel, M. J. Ribal, X. Filella et al., “BTA TRAK urine test increases the efficacy of cytology in the diagnosis of low-grade transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder,” Anticancer Research, vol. 22, no. 2 B, pp. 1157–1160, 2002.
- M. P. Raitanen, “The role of BTA stat Test in follow-up of patients with bladder cancer: results from FinnBladder studies,” World Journal of Urology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 45–50, 2008.
- S. Schwarz, M. Rechenmacher, T. Filbeck et al., “Value of multicolour fluorescence in situ hybridisation (UroVysion) in the differential diagnosis of flat urothelial lesions,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 272–277, 2008.
- M. F. Sarosdy, P. Schellhammer, G. Bokinsky et al., “Clinical evaluation of a multi-target fluorescent in situ hybridization assay for detection of bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 168, no. 5, pp. 1950–1954, 2002.
- A. P. Berger, W. Parson, A. Stenzl, H. Steiner, G. Bartsch, and H. Klocker, “Microsatellite alterations in human bladder cancer: detection of tumor cells in urine sediment and tumor tissue,” European Urology, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 532–539, 2002.
- V. B. Lokeshwar and M. G. Selzer, “Urinary bladder tumor markers,” Urologic Oncology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 528–537, 2006.
- H. S. Choi, S. I. Lee, D. J. Kim, and T. Y. Jeong, “Usefulness of the NMP22BladderChek test for screening and follow-up of bladder cancer,” Korean Journal of Urology, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 88–93, 2010.
- S. F. Shariat, C. Savage, T. F. Chromecki et al., “Assessing the clinical benefit of nuclear matrix protein 22 in the surveillance of patients with nonmuscle-invasive bladder cancer and negative cytology,” Cancer, vol. 117, no. 13, pp. 2892–2897, 2011.
- A. M. Attallah, H. A. Sakr, H. Ismail, E. S. K. Abdel-Hady, and I. El-Dosoky, “An office-based immunodiagnostic assay for detecting urinary nuclear matrix protein 52 in patients with bladder cancer,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 334–339, 2005.
- R. H. Getzenberg, B. R. Konety, T. A. Oeler et al., “Bladder cancer-associated nuclear matrix proteins,” Cancer Research, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. 1690–1694, 1996.
- M. Sánchez-Carbayo, E. Herrero, J. Megías, A. Mira, and F. Soria, “Comparative sensitivity of urinary cyfra 21-1, urinary bladder cancer antigen, tissue polypeptide antigen and NMP22 to detect bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 162, no. 6, pp. 1951–1956, 1999.
- D. Fatela-Cantillo, A. Fernández-Suárez, V. Menéndez, J. A. Galán, and X. Filella, “Low utility of CYFRA 21-1 serum levels for diagnosis and follow-up in bladder cancer patients,” Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 167–171, 2005.
- V. B. Lokeshwar, C. Öbek, H. T. Pham et al., “Urinary hyaluronic acid and hyaluronidase: markers for bladder cancer detection and evaluation of grade,” Journal of Urology, vol. 163, no. 1, pp. 348–356, 2000.
- C. C. Passerotti, M. Srougi, A. C. Bomfim et al., “Testing for urinary hyaluronate improves detection and grading of transitional cell carcinoma,” Urologic Oncology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 710–715, 2009.
- V. Margulis, Y. Lotan, and S. F. Shariat, “Survivin: a promising biomarker for detection and prognosis of bladder cancer,” World Journal of Urology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 59–65, 2008.
- J. Tsihlias and H. B. Grossman, “The utility of fibrin/fibrinogen degradation products in superficial bladder cancer,” Urologic Clinics of North America, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 39–46, 2000.
- S. M. Gilbert, R. W. Veltri, A. Sawczuk et al., “Evaluation of DD23 as a marker for detection of recurrent transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder in patients with a history of bladder cancer,” Urology, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 539–543, 2003.
- J. Sheinfeld, V. E. Reuter, M. R. Melamed et al., “Enhanced bladder cancer detection with the Lewis X antigen as a marker of neoplastic transformation,” Journal of Urology, vol. 143, no. 2, pp. 285–288, 1990.
- G. Mowatt, S. Zhu, M. Kilonzo et al., “Systematic review of the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of photodynamic diagnosis and urine biomarkers (FISH, ImmunoCyt, NMP22) and cytology for the detection and follow-up of bladder cancer,” Health Technology Assessment, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1–4, 2010.
- M. P. Herman, R. S. Svatek, Y. Lotan, P. I. Karakiewizc, and S. F. Shariat, “Urine-based biomarkers for the early detection and surveillance of non-muscle invasive bladder cancer,” Minerva Urologica e Nefrologica, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 217–235, 2008.
- A. Bennett, “Telomerase and other novel approaches to bladder cancer detection,” Clinical Laboratory Science, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 185–192, 2008.
- J. Parker and P. E. Spiess, “Current and emerging bladder cancer urinary biomarkers,” TheScientificWorldJournal, vol. 11, pp. 1103–1112, 2011.
- S. A. Stewart and A. A. Bertuch, “The role of telomeres and telomerase in cancer research,” Cancer Research, vol. 70, no. 19, pp. 7365–7371, 2010.
- S. E. Artandi and R. A. DePinho, “Telomeres and telomerase in cancer,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 31, no. 1, Article ID bgp268, pp. 9–18, 2009.
- L. E. Donate and M. A. Blasco, “Telomeres in cancer and ageing,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, vol. 366, no. 1561, pp. 76–84, 2011.
- D. Hanahan and R. A. Weinberg, “Hallmarks of cancer: the next generation,” Cell, vol. 144, no. 5, pp. 646–674, 2011.
- S. Brandt, “TERT over-expression affects the growth of myocardial tissue derived from mouse embryonic stem cells,” Differentiation, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2010.
- Y. Chen and Q. Kong, “Nuclear translocation of telomerase reverse transcriptase: a critical process in chemical induced hepatocellular carcinogenesis,” Neoplasma, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 222–227, 2010.
- C. H. Chen and R. J. Chen, “Prevalence of telomerase activity in human cancer,” Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 275–289, 2011.
- C.-C. Lee, K.-F. Huang, D.-M. Chang et al., “Design, synthesis and evaluation of telomerase inhibitory, hTERT repressing, and anti-proliferation activities of symmetrical 1,8-disubstituted amidoanthraquinones,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 50, pp. 102–112, 2012.
- D. D'Ambrosio, P. Reichenbach, E. Micheli et al., “Specific binding of telomeric G-quadruplexes by hydrosoluble perylene derivatives inhibits repeat addition processivity of human telomerase,” Biochimie, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 854–863, 2012.
- J. D. Henson, Y. Cao, L. I. Huschtscha et al., “DNA C-circles are specific and quantifiable markers of alternative- lengthening-of-telomeres activity,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1181–1185, 2009.
- Y. S. Lee, K. Tae, S. H. Lee et al., “Change of telomerase activity in peripheral whole blood of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma patients before and after surgery: a pilot study,” Clinical and Translational Oncology, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 747–752, 2011.
- Y. Liu, B. Q. Wu, H. H. Zhong, M. L. Xu, and W. G. Fang, “Detection of telomerase activity in cultured cells and tumor tissue of lung carcinoma by modified telomeric repeat amplification protocol,” Pathology International, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 386–394, 2010.
- B. Özmen, C. I. Duvan, G. Gümüş, M. Sönmezer, M. Gungor, and F. Ortaç, “The role of telomerase activity in predicting early recurrence of epithelial ovarian cancer after first-line chemotherapy: a prospective clinical study,” European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 303–308, 2009.
- H. Xin, “Telomeric repeat amplification protocol: measuring the activity of the telomerase,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 735, pp. 107–111, 2011.
- A. L. McCleary-Wheeler, L. E. Williams, P. R. Hess, and S. E. Suter, “Evaluation of an in vitro telomeric repeat amplification protocol assay to detect telomerase activity in canine urine,” American Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 71, no. 12, pp. 1468–1474, 2010.
- V. Casadio, S. Bravaccini, R. Gunelli et al., “Accuracy of urine telomerase activity to detect bladder cancer in symptomatic patients,” International Journal of Biological Markers, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 253–257, 2009.
- M. I. Morsi, A. I. Youssef, M. E. Hassouna, A. S. El-Sedafi, A. A. Ghazal, and E. R. Zaher, “Telomerase activity, cytokeratin 20 and cytokeratin 19 in urine cells of bladder cancer patients,” Journal of the Egyptian National Cancer Institute, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 82–92, 2006.
- J. Wang, L. Wu, J. Ren, and X. Qu, “Visualizing human telomerase activity with primer-modified Au nanoparticles,” Small, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 259–264, 2012.
- I. Iwabuchi, K. Mori, H. Yamamoto et al., “Significance of A simple assay of urine telomerase activity for the detection of bladder cancer,” Acta Urologica Japonica, vol. 56, no. 10, pp. 551–557, 2010.
- S. Eissa, M. Swellam, A. Amin, M. E. Balbaa, G. A. Yacout, and T. M. El-Zayat, “The clinical relevance of urine-based markers for diagnosis of bladder cancer,” Medical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 513–518, 2011.
- A. S. Brems-Eskildsen, K. Zieger, H. Toldbod et al., “Prediction and diagnosis of bladder cancer recurrence based on urinary content of hTERT, SENP1, PPP1CA, and MCM5 transcripts,” BMC Cancer, vol. 10, article 646, 2010.
- L. V. Svinareva, A. I. Glukhov, O. V. Zimnik, I. I. Bykov, T. V. Khorobrykh, and V. I. Shvets, “Detection of telomerase activity in gastric cancer,” Biomeditsinskaya Khimiya, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 602–608, 2010.
- R. Silvestrini, S. Bravaccini, V. Casadio, D. Amadori, and D. Calistri, “The current role of telomerase in the diagnosis of bladder cancer,” Indian Journal of Urology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 40–46, 2009.
- S. Eissa, M. Swellam, R. Ali-Labib, A. Mansour, O. El-Malt, and F. M. Tash, “Detection of telomerase in urine by 3 methods: evaluation of diagnostic accuracy for bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 178, no. 3, pp. 1068–1072, 2007.
- S. Bravaccini, V. Casadio, R. Gunelli et al., “Combining cytology, TRAP assay, and FISH analysis for the detection of bladder cancer in symptomatic patients,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 2294–2298, 2011.
- M. A. Sanchini, R. Gunelli, O. Nanni et al., “Relevance of urine telomerase in the diagnosis of bladder cancer,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 294, no. 16, pp. 2052–2056, 2005.
- A. Okumura, I. Mizuno, O. Nagakawa, and H. Fuse, “Telomerase activity is correlated with lower grade and lower stage bladder carcinomas,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 1082–1086, 2004.
- A. Dettlaff-Pokora, M. Matuszewski, and B. Schlichtholz, “Telomerase activity in urine sediments as a tool for noninvasive detection of bladder cancer,” Cancer Letters, vol. 222, no. 1, pp. 83–88, 2005.
- S. Bravaccini, M. A. Sanchini, A. M. Granato et al., “Urine telomerase activity for the detection of bladder cancer in females,” Journal of Urology, vol. 178, no. 1, pp. 57–61, 2007.
- D. Calistri, A. Sanchini, D. Amadori, and R. Silvestrini, “Telomerase activity: a molecular marker for early diagnosis of bladder tumor,” Recenti Progressi in Medicina, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 74–78, 2007.
- J. L. Campos-Fernandes, F. Descotes, J. André, P. Perrln, M. Devonec, and A. Ruffion, “Value of urinary markers in the diagnosis and follow-up of urothelial bladder tumours,” Progres en Urologie, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 23–34, 2007.