- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 246520, 6 pages
The Current Role of Endourologic Management of Renal Transplantation Complications
1Department of Urology, Oregon Health & Science University, 3033 SW Bond Ave, CH10U, Portland, OR 97239, USA
2Department of Urology, Oregon Health & Science University/Portland VA Medical Center, 3033 SW Bond Ave, CH10U, Portland, OR 97239, USA
3Departments of Urology and Surgery, Oregon Health & Science University, 3033 SW Bond Ave, CH10U, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Received 27 May 2013; Revised 20 July 2013; Accepted 22 July 2013
Academic Editor: Hiep T. Nguyen
Copyright © 2013 Brian D. Duty et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse, Kidney Disease Statistics for the United States, Publication No. 12-3895, National Institutes of Health, Washington, DC, USA, 2012.
- E. H. Streeter, D. M. Little, D. W. Cranston, and P. J. Morris, “The urological complications of renal transplantation: a series of 1535 patients,” BJU International, vol. 90, no. 7, pp. 627–634, 2002.
- R. Pichler, A. Buttazzoni, P. Rehder, G. Bartsch, H. Steiner, and J. Oswald, “Endoscopic application of dextranomer/hyaluronic acid copolymer in the treatment of vesico-ureteric reflux after renal transplantation,” BJU International, vol. 107, no. 12, pp. 1967–1972, 2011.
- Z.-L. Nie, K.-Q. Zhang, Q.-S. Li, F.-S. Jin, F.-Q. Zhu, and W.-Q. Huo, “Treatment of urinary fistula after kidney transplantation,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1624–1626, 2009.
- J. C. Routh, R. N. Yu, S. I. Kozinn, et al., “Urological complications and vesicoureteral reflux following pediatric kidney transplantation,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 189, pp. 1071–1076, 2013.
- R. Mano, S. Golan, R. Holland, P. M. Livne, and D. A. Lifshitz, “Retrograde endoureterotomy for persistent ureterovesical anastomotic strictures in renal transplant kidneys after failed antegrade balloon dilation,” Urology, vol. 80, pp. 255–259, 2012.
- M. Giessing, “Transplant ureter stricture following renal transplantation: surgical options,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 383–386, 2011.
- G. N. Bachar, E. Mor, G. Bartal, E. Atar, N. Goldberg, and A. Belenky, “Percutaneous balloon dilatation for the treatment of early and late ureteral strictures after renal transplantation: long-term follow-up,” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 335–338, 2004.
- E. Bromwich, S. Coles, J. Atchley, I. Fairley, J. L. Brown, and S. R. Keoghane, “A 4-year review of balloon dilation of ureteral strictures in renal allografts,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1060–1061, 2006.
- C. Aytekin, F. Boyvat, A. Harman, U. Özyer, T. Colak, and M. Haberal, “Percutaneous therapy of ureteral obstructions and leak after renal transplantation: long-term results,” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1178–1184, 2007.
- B. Juaneda, A. Alcaraz, A. Bujons et al., “Endourological management is better in early-onset ureteral stenosis in kidney transplantation,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 3825–3827, 2005.
- E. Erturk, D. T. Burzon, and D. Waldman, “Treatment of transplant ureteral stenosis with endoureterotomy,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 161, no. 2, pp. 412–414, 1999.
- B. F. Schwartz, J. R. Chatham, P. Bretan, R. Goharderakhshan, and M. L. Stoller, “Treatment of refractory kidney transplant ureteral strictures using balloon cautery endoureterotomy,” Urology, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 536–539, 2001.
- R. Katz, D. Pode, O. N. Gofrit et al., “Transurethral incision of ureteroneocystostomy strictures in kidney transplant recipients,” BJU International, vol. 92, no. 7, pp. 769–771, 2003.
- B. Kristo, M. W. Phelan, H. A. Gritsch, and P. G. Schulam, “Treatment of renal transplant ureterovesical anastomotic strictures using antegrade balloon dilation with or without holmium:YAG laser endoureterotomy,” Urology, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 831–834, 2003.
- Z. He, X. Li, L. Chen et al., “Endoscopic incision for obstruction of vesico-ureteric anastomosis in transplanted kidneys,” BJU International, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 102–106, 2008.
- Y. Gdor, A. H. Gabr, G. J. Faerber, and J. S. Wolf Jr., “Holmium: yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser endoureterotomy for the treatment of transplant kidney ureteral strictures,” Transplantation, vol. 85, no. 9, pp. 1318–1321, 2008.
- G. Benoit, P. Blanchet, P. Eschwege, L. Alexandre, H. Bensadoun, and B. Charpentier, “Insertion of a double pigtail ureteral stent for the prevention of urological complications in renal transplantation: a prospective randomized study,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 156, no. 3, pp. 881–884, 1996.
- J. Dominguez, C. M. Clase, K. Mahalati et al., “Is routine ureteric stenting needed in kidney transplantation? A randomized trial,” Transplantation, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 597–601, 2000.
- T. A. S. Matalon, M. J. Thompson, S. K. Patel, M. V. Ramos, S. C. Jensik, and F. K. Merkel, “Percutaneous treatment of urine leaks in renal transplantation patients,” Radiology, vol. 174, no. 3, pp. 1049–1051, 1990.
- S. C. Campbell, S. B. Streem, M. Zelch, E. Hodge, and A. C. Novick, “Percutaneous management of transplant ureteral fistulas: patient selection and long-term results,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 150, no. 4, pp. 1115–1117, 1993.
- S. J. Swierzewski, J. W. Konnak, and J. H. Ellis, “Treatment of renal transplant ureteral complications by percutaneous techniques,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 149, no. 5, pp. 986–987, 1993.
- V. J. Bhagat, R. L. Gordon, R. W. Osorio et al., “Ureteral obstructions and leaks after renal transplantation: outcome of percutaneous antegrade ureteral stent placement in 44 patients,” Radiology, vol. 209, no. 1, pp. 159–167, 1998.
- A. Alcaraz, A. Bujons, X. Pascual et al., “Percutaneous management of transplant ureteral fistulae is feasible in selected cases,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 2111–2114, 2005.
- C. Gratzke, A. Pahde, M. Dickmann et al., “Predictive factors for urinary retention following kidney transplantation in male patients,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 44–47, 2012.
- P. S. Rao, R. M. Merion, V. B. Ashby, F. K. Port, R. A. Wolfe, and L. K. Kayler, “Renal transplantation in elderly patients older than 70 years of age: results from the scientific registry of transplant recipients,” Transplantation, vol. 83, no. 8, pp. 1069–1074, 2007.
- I. Tsaur, J. Jones, R. J. Melamed, R. A. Blaheta, J. Gossmann, and W. Bentas, “Postoperative voiding dysfunction in older male renal transplant recipients,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1615–1618, 2009.
- M. J. Koziolek, M. Wolfram, G. A. Müller et al., “Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) requiring transurethral resection in freshly transplanted renal allograft recipients,” Clinical Nephrology, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 8–13, 2004.
- Y. Reinberg, J. C. Manivel, A. A. Sidi, and C. J. Ercole, “Transurethral resection of prostate immediately after renal transplantation,” Urology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 319–321, 1992.
- M. Ostrowski, Z. Włodarczyk, T. Wesołowski et al., “Influence of ureterovesical anastomosis technique on the incidence of vesicoureteral reflux in renal transplant recipients,” Annals of Transplantation, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 54–58, 1999.
- S. Mastrosimone, G. Pignata, M. C. Maresca et al., “Clinical significance of vesicoureteral reflux after kidney transplantation,” Clinical Nephrology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 38–45, 1993.
- E. Favi, G. Spagnoletti, A. L. Valentini et al., “Long-term clinical impact of vesicoureteral reflux in kidney transplantation,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 1218–1220, 2009.
- G. O. Jung, J. M. Chun, J. B. Park et al., “Clinical significance of posttransplantation vesicoureteral reflux during short-term period after kidney transplant,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 2339–2341, 2008.
- A. Stenberg and G. Lackgren, “A new bioimplant for the endoscopic treatment of vesicoureteral reflux: experimental and short-term clinical results,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 154, no. 2, pp. 800–803, 1995.
- J. S. Elder, M. Diaz, A. A. Caldamone et al., “Endoscopic therapy for vesicoureteral reflux: a meta-analysis. I. reflux resolution and urinary tract infection,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 175, no. 2, pp. 716–722, 2006.
- H. H. Seifert, B. Mazzola, R. Ruszat et al., “Transurethral injection therapy with dextranomer/hyaluronic acid copolymer (Deflux) for treatment of secondary vesicoureteral reflux after renal transplantation,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1357–1360, 2007.
- S. Yucel, Y. Akin, O. Celik, T. Erdogru, and M. Baykara, “Endoscopic vesicoureteral reflux correction in transplanted kidneys: does injection technique matter?” Journal of Endourology, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 1661–1664, 2010.
- E. Capocasale, N. Busi, M. P. Mazzoni, L. Alessandri, and M. Sianesi, “Donor graft lithiasis in kidney transplantation,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 1191–1192, 2002.
- K. G. Stravodimos, S. Adamis, S. Tyritzis, Z. Georgios, and C. A. Constantinides, “Renal transplant lithiasis: analysis of our series and review of the literature,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 38–44, 2012.
- F. M. Rodriguez, E. G. de Chaves, F. R. Baron, et al., “Treatment of urinary calculi in transplanted kidney with extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy,” Archivos Españoles de Urología, vol. 56, pp. 793–798, 2003.
- H. C. Klingler, G. Kramer, M. Lodde, and M. Marberger, “Urolithiasis in allograft kidneys,” Urology, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 344–348, 2002.
- B. Challacombe, P. Dasgupta, R. Tiptaft et al., “Multimodal management of urolithiasis in renal transplantation,” BJU International, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 385–389, 2005.
- S. Li, Q. Wang, and W. Chen, “Treatment of urinary lithiasis following kidney transplantation with extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy,” Chinese Medical Journal, vol. 124, no. 9, pp. 1431–1434, 2011.
- E. Hyams, T. Marien, A. Bruhn, et al., “Ureteroscopy for transplant lithiasis,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 26, pp. 819–822, 2012.
- A. Basiri, M. R. Nikoobakht, N. Simforoosh, and S. M. M. Hosseini Moghaddam, “Ureteroscopic management of urological complications after renal transplantation,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 53–56, 2006.
- A. E. Krambeck, A. J. LeRoy, D. E. Patterson, and M. T. Gettman, “Percutaneous nephrolithotomy success in transplant kidney,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 180, no. 6, pp. 2545–2549, 2008.
- M. M. Rifaioglu, A. D. Berger, W. Pengune, and M. L. Stoller, “Percutaneous management of stones in transplanted kidneys,” Urology, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 508–512, 2008.
- M. Oliveira, F. Branco, L. Martins, and E. Lima, “Percutaneous nephrolithotomy in renal transplants: a safe approach with a high stone-free rate,” International Urology and Nephrology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 329–335, 2011.