- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 317190, 6 pages
Pathologic Response Rates of Gemcitabine/Cisplatin versus Methotrexate/Vinblastine/Adriamycin/Cisplatin Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Muscle Invasive Urothelial Bladder Cancer
1Department of Urology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
2Department of Urology, University of Washington Medical Center, Health Sciences Building, 1959 NE Pacific, BB-1115, Box 356510, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
3Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
4Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
5Group Health Permanente, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
6Huntsman Cancer Institute, Division of Medical Oncology, The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
7Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Received 5 August 2013; Accepted 24 October 2013
Academic Editor: Miroslav L. Djordjevic
Copyright © 2013 Franklin C. Lee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. P. Stein, G. Lieskovsky, R. Cote et al., “Radical cystectomy in the treatment of invasive bladder cancer: long-term results in 1,054 patients,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 666–675, 2001.
- S. F. Shariat, P. I. Karakiewicz, G. S. Palapattu et al., “Outcomes of radical cystectomy for transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: a contemporary series from the Bladder Cancer Research Consortium,” Journal of Urology, vol. 176, no. 6, part 1, pp. 2414–2422, 2006.
- R. S. Svatek, S. F. Shariat, G. Novara et al., “Discrepancy between clinical and pathological stage: external validation of the impact on prognosis in an international radical cystectomy cohort,” BJU International, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 898–904, 2011.
- H. B. Grossman, R. B. Natale, C. M. Tangen et al., “Neoadjuvant chemotherapy plus cystectomy compared with cystectomy alone for locally advanced bladder cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 349, no. 9, pp. 859–866, 2003.
- J. J. Meeks, J. Bellmunt, B. H. Bochner et al., “A systematic review of neoadjuvant and adjuvant chemotherapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer,” European Urology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 523–533, 2012.
- C. N. Sternberg, S. M. Donat, J. Bellmunt et al., “Chemotherapy for bladder cancer: treatment guidelines for neoadjuvant chemotherapy, bladder preservation, adjuvant chemotherapy, and metastatic cancer,” Urology, vol. 69, supplement 1, pp. 62–79, 2007.
- G. Sonpavde and C. N. Sternberg, “Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for invasive bladder cancer,” Current Urology Reports, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 136–146, 2012.
- D. Raghavan, W. U. Shipley, M. B. Garnick, P. J. Russell, and J. P. Richie, “Biology and management of bladder cancer,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 322, no. 16, pp. 1129–1138, 1990.
- R. Rosenblatt, A. Sherif, E. Rintala et al., “Pathologic downstaging is a surrogate marker for efficacy and increased survival following neoadjuvant chemotherapy and radical cystectomy for muscle-invasive urothelial bladder cancer,” European Urology, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 1229–1238, 2012.
- T. A. W. Splinter, H. I. Scher, L. Denis et al., “The prognostic value of the pathological response to combination chemotherapy before cystectomy in patients with invasive bladder cancer,” Journal of Urology, vol. 147, no. 3, pp. 606–608, 1992.
- H. Von Der Maase, L. Sengelov, J. T. Roberts et al., “Long-term survival results of a randomized trial comparing gemcitabine plus cisplatin, with methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, plus cisplatin in patients with bladder cancer,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 21, pp. 4602–4608, 2005.
- H. Von der Maase, S. W. Hansen, J. T. Roberts et al., “Gemcitabine and cisplatin versus methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, and cisplatin in advanced or metastatic bladder cancer: results of a large, randomized, multinational, multicenter, phase III study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 17, pp. 3068–3077, 2000.
- K. A. David, M. I. Milowsky, J. Ritchey, P. R. Carroll, and D. M. Nanus, “Low incidence of perioperative chemotherapy for stage III bladder cancer 1998 to 2003: a report from the national cancer data base,” Journal of Urology, vol. 178, no. 2, pp. 451–454, 2007.
- G. Griffiths, R. Hall, R. Sylvester, D. Raghavan, and M. K. Parmar, “International phase III trial assessing neoadjuvant cisplatin, methotrexate, and vinblastine chemotherapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer: long-term results of the BA06 30894 trial,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 29, no. 16, pp. 2171–2177, 2011.
- O. Yeshchina, G. M. Badalato, M. S. Wosnitzer et al., “Relative efficacy of perioperative gemcitabine and cisplatin versus methotrexate, vinblastine, adriamycin, and cisplatin in the management of locally advanced urothelial carcinoma of the bladder,” Urology, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 384–390, 2012.
- A. Fairey, S. Danesmand, D. Quinn et al., “Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with gemcitabine/cisplatin vs methotrexate/vinblastine/doxorubicin/cisplatin for muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: a retrospective analysis from the University of Southern California,” Urologic Oncology, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 1737–1743, 2013.
- A. Dash, J. A. Pettus IV, H. W. Herr et al., “A role for neoadjuvant gemcitabine plus cisplatin in muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: a retrospective experience,” Cancer, vol. 113, no. 9, pp. 2471–2477, 2008.
- S. K. Pal, N. H. Ruel, T. G. Wilson, and B. E. Yuh, “Retrospective analysis of clinical outcomes with neoadjuvant cisplatin-based regimens for muscle invasive bladder cancer,” Clinical Genitourinary Cancer, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 246–250, 2012.
- C. J. Weight, J. A. Garcia, D. E. Hansel et al., “Lack of pathologic down-staging with neoadjuvant chemotherapy for muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 4, pp. 792–799, 2009.