- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 401750, 6 pages
Wt-1 Expression Linked to Nitric Oxide Availability during Neonatal Obstructive Nephropathy
1Área de Fisiopatología, Departamento de Patología, Facultad de Ciencias Médicas, Universidad Nacional de Cuyo, Centro Universitario, CP 5500, Mendoza, Argentina
2National Council of Scientific and Technical Research of Argentina (IMBECU-CONICET), CP 5500, Mendoza, Argentina
Received 30 July 2013; Revised 27 September 2013; Accepted 30 September 2013
Academic Editor: M. Hammad Ather
Copyright © 2013 Luciana Mazzei and Walter Manucha. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Hernández Herrera, A. M. Aguirre Cavazos, H. Fuentes Vélez, C. Rodriguez Padilla, L. Trejo Ávila, and P. Zapata Benavides, “WT1: Sexo, vida y muerte,” Ciencia UANL, vol. 7, no. 3, 2004.
- A. Hossain and G. F. Saunders, “The human sex-determining gene SRY is a direct target of WT1,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 20, pp. 16817–16823, 2001.
- F. Florio, E. Cesaro, G. Montano, P. Izzo, C. Miles, and P. Costanzo, “Biochemical and functional interaction between ZNF224 and ZNF255, two members of the Krüppel-like zinc-finger protein family and WT1 protein isoforms,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 19, no. 18, Article ID ddq270, pp. 3544–3556, 2010.
- V. Scharnhorst, P. Dekker, A. J. Van Der Eb, and A. G. Jochemsen, “Internal translation initiation generates novel WT1 protein isoforms with distinct biological properties,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 33, pp. 23456–23462, 1999.
- D. A. Haber, R. L. Sohn, A. J. Buckler, J. Pelletier, K. M. Call, and D. E. Housman, “Alternative splicing and genomic structure of the Wilms tumor gene WT1,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 88, no. 21, pp. 9618–9622, 1991.
- Y. Ye, B. Raychaudhuri, A. Gurney, C. E. Campbell, and B. R. G. Williams, “Regulation of WT1 by phosphorylation: inhibition of DNA binding, alteration of transcriptional activity and cellular translocation,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 15, no. 20, pp. 5606–5615, 1996.
- M. Marcet-Palacios, F. Davoine, D. J. Adamko, R. Moqbel, and A. D. Befus, “Human lymphocytes express the transcriptional regulator, Wilms tumor 1: the role of WT1 in mediating nitric oxide-dependent repression of lymphocyte proliferation,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 363, no. 2, pp. 283–287, 2007.
- K. Pritchard-Jones, S. Fleming, D. Davidson et al., “The candidate Wilms' tumour gene is involved in genitourinary development,” Nature, vol. 346, no. 6280, pp. 194–197, 1990.
- J. A. Kreidberg, H. Sariola, J. M. Loring et al., “WT-1 is required for early kidney development,” Cell, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 679–691, 1993.
- A. J. W. Hsueh, K. Eisenhauer, S.-Y. Chun, S.-Y. Hsu, and H. Billig, “Gonadal cell apoptosis,” Recent Progress in Hormone Research, vol. 51, pp. 433–455, 1996.
- J. A. Kreidberg, “WT1 and kidney progenitor cells,” Organogenesis, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 61–70, 2010.
- C. Englert, M. Vidal, S. Maheswaran et al., “Truncated WT1 mutants alter the subnuclear localization of the wild-type protein,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 26, pp. 11960–11964, 1995.
- A. J. Buckler, J. Pelletier, D. A. Haber, T. Glaser, and D. E. Housman, “Isolation, characterization, and expression of the murine Wilms' tumor gene (WT1) during kidney development,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 1707–1712, 1991.
- E. Miller-Hodges and P. Hohenstein, “WT1 in disease: shifting the epithelial-mesenchymal balance,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 226, no. 2, pp. 229–240, 2012.
- L. Mazzei, I. M. García, V. Cacciamani, M. E. Benardón, and W. Manucha, “WT-1 mRNA expression is modulated by nitric oxide availabilityand Hsp70 interaction after neonatal unilateral ureteral obstruction,” Biocell, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 121–132, 2010.
- H. Liapis, “Biology of congenital obstructive nephropathy,” Neprhon. Experimental Nephrology, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. e87–91, 2003.
- P. Trnka, M. J. Hiatt, L. Ivanova, A. F. Tarantal, and D. G. Matsell, “Phenotypic transition of the collecting duct epithelium in congenital urinary tract obstruction,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2010, Article ID 696034, 2010.
- R. E. Power, B. T. Doyle, D. Higgins, H. R. Brady, J. M. Fitzpatrick, and R. W. G. Watson, “Mechanical deformation induced apoptosis in human proximal renal tubular epithelial cells is caspase dependent,” Journal of Urology, vol. 171, no. 1, pp. 457–461, 2004.
- F. Cachat, B. Lange-Sperandio, A. Y. Chang et al., “Ureteral obstruction in neonatal mice elicits segment-specific tubular cell responses leading to nephron loss,” Kidney International, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 564–575, 2003.
- W. Manucha, “Biochemical-molecular markers in unilateral ureteral obstruction,” Biocell, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2007.
- A. Dendooven, D. A. Ishola Jr., T. Q. Nguyen et al., “Oxidative stress in obstructive nephropathy,” International Journal of Experimental Pathology, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 202–210, 2011.
- W. Manucha, L. Carrizo, C. Ruete, H. Molina, and P. Vallés, “Angiotensin II type I antagonist on oxidative stress and heat shock protein 70 (HSP 70) expression in obstructive nephropathy,” Cellular and Molecular Biology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 547–555, 2005.
- L. J. Mazzei, I. M. García, L. Altamirano, N. G. Docherty, and W. Manucha, “Rosuvastatin preserves renal structure following unilateral ureteric obstruction in the neonatal rat,” American Journal of Nephrology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 103–113, 2012.
- S. Djudjaj, C. Chatziantoniou, U. Raffetseder et al., “Notch-3 receptor activation drives inflammation and fibrosis following tubulointerstitial kidneyinjury,” The Journal of Pathology, vol. 228, no. 3, pp. 286–299, 2012.
- N. Liu, S. He, E. Tolbert, R. Gong, G. Bayliss, and S. Zhuang, “Suramin alleviates glomerular injury and inflammation in the remnant kidney,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 4, Article ID e36194, 2012.
- V. Filiopoulos and D. Vlassopoulos, “Inflammatory syndrome in chronic kidney disease: pathogenesis and influence on outcomes,” Inflammation and Allergy—Drug Targets, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 369–382, 2009.
- R. L. Chevalier, M. S. Forbes, and B. A. Thornhill, “Ureteral obstruction as a model of renal interstitial fibrosis and obstructive nephropathy,” Kidney International, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 1145–1152, 2009.
- R. L. Chevalier, “Pathophysiology of obstructive nephropathy in the newborn,” Seminars in Nephrology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 585–593, 1998.
- R. L. Chevalier, B. A. Thornhill, A. Y. Chang, F. Cachat, and A. Lackey, “Recovery from release of ureteral obstruction in the rat: relationship to nephrogenesis,” Kidney International, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 2033–2043, 2002.
- W. Chan, R. J. Krieg Jr., K. Ward, F. Santos Jr., K.-C. Lin, and J. C. M. Chan, “Progression after release of obstructive nephropathy,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 238–244, 2001.
- W. Manucha, F. Kurbán, L. Mazzei et al., “eNOS/Hsp70 interaction on rosuvastatin cytoprotective effect in neonatal obstructive nephropathy,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 650, no. 2-3, pp. 487–495, 2011.
- J. Johannesen, A. E. Karlsen, F. Pociot, S. G. Roenn, and J. Nerup, “Strain dependent rat iNOS promoter activity—correlation to identified WT1 transcription factor binding site,” Autoimmunity, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 167–175, 2003.
- W. Manucha and P. G. Vallés, “Cytoprotective role of nitric oxide associated with Hsp70 expression in neonatal obstructive nephropathy,” Nitric Oxide, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 204–215, 2008.
- F. C. Cormack-Aboud, P. T. Brinkkoetter, J. W. Pippin, S. J. Shankland, and R. V. Durvasula, “Rosuvastatin protects against podocyte apoptosis in vitro,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 404–412, 2009.
- M.-S. Zhou, I. H. Schuman, E. A. Jaimes, and L. Raij, “Renoprotection by statins is linked to a decrease in renal oxidative stress, TGF-β, and fibronectin with concomitant increase in nitric oxide bioavailability,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 295, no. 1, pp. F53–F59, 2008.
- I. M. Garcia, L. Mazzei, M. E. Benardon et al., “Caveolin-1-eNOS/Hsp70 interactions mediate rosuvastatin antifibrotic effects in neonatal obstructive nephropathy,” Nitric Oxide, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 95–105, 2012.
- A. Gianella, E. Nobili, M. Abbate et al., “Rosuvastatin treatment prevents progressive kidney inflammation and fibrosis in stroke-prone rats,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 170, no. 4, pp. 1165–1177, 2007.
- J. Shepherd, D. B. Hunninghake, E. A. Stein et al., “Safety of rosuvastatin,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 94, no. 7, pp. 882–888, 2004.
- Y. Xu, S. Ruan, X. Wu, H. Chen, K. Zheng, and B. Fu, “Autophagy and apoptosis in tubular cells following unilateral ureteral obstruction are associated with mitochondrial oxidative stress,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 628–636, 2013.
- Y.-M. Kim, C. A. Bombeck, and T. R. Billiar, “Nitric oxide as a bifunctional regulator of apoptosis,” Circulation Research, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 253–256, 1999.
- L. Mazzei, I. M. Garcia, and W. Manucha, “Moduladores de fibrosis y apoptosis asociados a la disponibilidad de ON. Efecto de rosuvastatina en nefropatia obstructiva neonatal,” Bioanalisis, vol. 6, no. 34, pp. 20–26, 2010.
- W. Manucha, L. Oliveros, L. Carrizo, A. Seltzer, and P. Vallés, “Losartan modulation on NOS isoforms and COX-2 expression in early renal fibrogenesis in unilateral obstruction,” Kidney International, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 2091–2107, 2004.
- S. Maheswaran, C. Englert, G. Zheng et al., “Inhibition of cellular proliferation by the Wilms tumor suppressor WT1 requires association with the inducible chaperone Hsp70,” Genes and Development, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 1108–1120, 1998.
- M. Elli, O. Söylemezoglu, D. Erbas et al., “Plasma and urine nitric oxide levels in healthy Turkish children,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1605–1609, 2005.
- M. S. Forbes, B. A. Thornhill, M. H. Park, and R. L. Chevalier, “Lack of endothelial nitric-oxide synthase leads to progressive focal renal injury,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 87–99, 2007.
- M. W. Mayo, C.-Y. Wang, S. S. Drouin et al., “WT1 modulates apoptosis by transcriptionally upregulating the bcl-2 proto-oncogene,” The EMBO Journal, vol. 18, no. 14, pp. 3990–4003, 1999.
- K. H. Yoo, B. A. Thornhill, M. S. Forbes, and R. L. Chevalier, “Inducible nitric oxide synthase modulates hydronephrosis following partial or complete unilateral ureteral obstruction in the neonatal mouse,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 298, no. 1, pp. F62–F71, 2010.
- A. Miyajima, J. Chen, D. P. Poppas, J. Vaughan E.D., and D. Felsen, “Role of nitric oxide in renal tubular apoptosis of unilateral ureteral obstruction,” Kidney International, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 1290–1303, 2001.
- K. Ito, J. Chen, S. V. Seshan et al., “Dietary arginine supplementation attenuates renal damage after relief of unilateral ureteral obstruction in rats,” Kidney International, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 515–528, 2005.
- V. Scharnhorst, P. Dekker, A. J. Van Der Eb, and A. G. Jochemsen, “Physical interaction between Wilms tumor 1 and p73 proteins modulates their functions,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 14, pp. 10202–10211, 2000.
- S. Maheswaran, C. Englert, P. Bennett, G. Heinrich, and D. A. Haber, “The WT1 gene product stabilizes p53 and inhibits p53-mediated apoptosis,” Genes and Development, vol. 9, no. 17, pp. 2143–2156, 1995.
- M. C. Cummings, “Increased p53 mRNA expression in liver and kidney apoptosis,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1315, no. 2, pp. 100–104, 1996.
- J. J. Morrissey and S. Klahr, “Effect of AT2 receptor blockade on the pathogenesis of renal fibrosis,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 276, no. 1, pp. F39–F45, 1999.
- A. Miyajima, J. Chen, C. Lawrence et al., “Antibody to transforming growth factor-β ameliorates tubular apoptosis in unilateral ureteral obstruction,” Kidney International, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 2301–2313, 2000.
- S. O. Topcu, S. Celik, S. Erturhan, A. Erbagci, F. Yagci, and R. Ucak, “Verapamil prevents the apoptotic and hemodynamic changes in response to unilateral ureteral obstruction,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 350–355, 2008.
- Q. Xu, Y. Hu, R. Kleindienst, and G. Wick, “Nitric oxide induces heat-shock protein 70 expression in vascular smooth muscle cells via activation of heat shock factor 1,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 1089–1097, 1997.
- P. Goloubinoff and P. D. L. Rios, “The mechanism of Hsp70 chaperones: (entropic) pulling the models together,” Trends in Biochemical Sciences, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 372–380, 2007.
- H. Cheng, C. Cenciarelli, Z. Shao et al., “Human T cell leukemia virus type 1 Tax associates with a molecular chaperone complex containing hTid-1 and Hsp70,” Current Biology, vol. 11, no. 22, pp. 1771–1775, 2001.
- M. Jäättelä, “Escaping cell death: survival proteins in cancer,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 248, no. 1, pp. 30–43, 1999.
- F. Li, H. P. Mao, K. L. Ruchalski et al., “Heat stress prevents mitochondrial injury in ATP-depleted renal epithelial cells,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 283, no. 3, pp. C917–C926, 2002.
- N. J. Hegarty, R. W. G. Watson, L. S. Young, A. J. O'Neill, H. R. Brady, and J. M. Fitzpatrick, “Cytoprotective effects of nitrates in a cellular model of hydronephrosis,” Kidney International, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 70–77, 2002.
- D. P. Lane, C. Midgley, and T. Hupp, “Tumour suppressor genes and molecular chaperones,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, vol. 339, no. 1289, pp. 369–372, 1993.
- I. M. Takenaka, S.-M. Leung, S. J. McAndrew, J. P. Brown, and L. E. Hightower, “Hsc70-binding peptides selected from a phage display peptide library that resemble organellar targeting sequences,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 270, no. 34, pp. 19839–19844, 1995.