- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 797096, 5 pages
Digital Rectal Examination Standardization for Inexperienced Hands: Teaching Medical Students
1Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Campinas, Unicamp, Rua Tessália Vieira de Camargo 126, Cidade Universitária “Zeferino Vaz”, 13083-887 Campinas, SP, Brazil
2Faculty of Medicine, Center for Life Sciences, Pontifical Catholic University of Campinas, PUC-Campinas, 13060-904 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Received 14 July 2013; Accepted 22 August 2013
Academic Editor: William K. Oh
Copyright © 2013 Leonardo Oliveira Reis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Kirby, “Improving lower urinary tract symptoms in BPH,” Practitioner, vol. 255, no. 1739, pp. 15–19, 2011.
- A. M. E. P. Naccarato, L. O. Reis, W. E. Matheus, U. Ferreira, and F. Denardi, “Barriers to prostate cancer screening: psychological aspects and descriptive variables—is there a correlation?” Aging Male, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 66–71, 2011.
- C. H. Lim and D. M. Quinlan, “Are doctors examining prostates in university hospital?” Urology, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 843–845, 2007.
- J. L. H. R. Bosch, A. M. Bohnen, and F. P. M. J. Groeneveld, “Validity of digital rectal examination and serum prostate specific antigen in the estimation of prostate volume in community-based men aged 50 to 78 years: the Krimpen Study,” European Urology, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 753–759, 2004.
- D. Fitzgerald, S. S. Connolly, and M. J. Kerin, “Digital rectal examination: national survey of undergraduate medical training in Ireland,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 83, no. 983, pp. 599–601, 2007.
- L. O. Reis, G. C. Barreiro, A. Prudente, C. M. Silva, J. W. M. Bassani, and C. A. L. D'Ancona, “A novel intraurethral device diagnostic index to classify bladder outlet obstruction in men with lower urinary tract symptoms,” Advances in Urology, vol. 2009, Article ID 406012, 6 pages, 2009.
- N. Low-Beer, T. Kinnison, S. Baillie, F. Bello, R. Kneebone, and J. Higham, “Hidden practice revealed: using task analysis and novel simulator design to evaluate the teaching of digital rectal examination,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 201, no. 1, pp. 46–53, 2011.
- R. Balkissoon, K. Blossfield, L. Salud, D. Ford, and C. Pugh, “Lost in translation: unfolding medical students' misconceptions of how to perform a clinical digital rectal examination,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 197, no. 4, pp. 525–532, 2009.
- C. Popadiuk, M. Pottle, and V. Curran, “Teaching digital rectal examinations to medical students: an evaluation study of teaching methods,” Academic Medicine, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1140–1146, 2002.
- L. O. Reis, E. L. Zani, J. C. Alonso, F. A. Simões, R. F. Rejowski, and U. Ferreira, “Does the criterion for prostate biopsy indication impact its accuracy? A prospective population-based outpatient clinical setting study,” Actas Urologicas Espanolas, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 10–14, 2011.
- J. S. P. Yuen, J. T. K. Ngiap, C. W. S. Cheng, and K. T. Foo, “Effects of bladder volume on transabdominal ultrasound measurements of intravesical prostatic protrusion and volume,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 225–229, 2002.
- T. Ohnuki, K. Kurokawa, N. Katoh et al., “Transrectal longitudinal ultrasonography of the prostate by electronic linear scanning,” Hinyokika Kiyo, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1385–1388, 1987.
- S. Loeb, M. Han, K. A. Roehl, J. A. V. Antenor, and W. J. Catalona, “Accuracy of prostate weight estimation by digital rectal examination versus transrectal ultrasonography,” Journal of Urology, vol. 173, no. 1, pp. 63–65, 2005.
- W. C. Cheng, F. C. Ng, K. C. Chan, Y. H. Cheung, W. L. Chan, and S. W. Wong, “Interobserver variation of prostatic volume estimation with digital rectal examination by urological staffs with different experiences,” International Brazilian Journal of Urology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 466–471, 2004.
- C. G. Roehrborn, S. Sech, J. Montoya, T. Rhodes, and C. J. Girman, “Interexaminer reliability and validity of a three-dimensional model to assess prostate volume by digital rectal examination,” Urology, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 1087–1092, 2001.
- L. O. Reis, G. C. Barreiro, J. Baracat, A. Prudente, and C. A. D'Ancona, “Intravesical protrusion of the prostate as a predictive method of bladder outlet obstruction,” International Brazilian Journal of Urology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 627–637, 2008.
- S. Ahmad, R. P. Manecksha, I. M. Cullen et al., “Estimation of clinically significant prostate volumes by digital rectal examination: a comparative prospective study,” The Canadian Journal of Urology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 6025–6030, 2011.
- K. Kijvikai, “Digital rectal examination, serum prostatic specific antigen or transrectal ultrasonography: the best tool to guide the treatment of men with benign prostatic hyperplasia,” Current Opinion in Urology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 44–48, 2009.