- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 890328, 4 pages
Prevalence of Priapism and Its Awareness amongst Male Homozygous Sickle Cell Patients in Lagos, Nigeria
1Department of Haematology and Blood Transfusion, Faculty of Clinical Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, PMB 12003, Surulere, Idi Araba, Lagos, Nigeria
2Department of Community Medicine and Primary Health Care, Lagos State University College of Medicine, Ikeja, Nigeria
3Department of Haematology and Blood Transfusion, Lagos State University College of Medicine, Ikeja, Nigeria
4Department of Medicine, Lagos State University College of Medicine, Ikeja, Nigeria
5Department of Haematology and Blood Transfusion, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, Nigeria
6Department of Haematology and Blood Transfusion, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba, Nigeria
Received 23 February 2013; Revised 1 June 2013; Accepted 13 June 2013
Academic Editor: Nazareno Suardi
Copyright © 2013 Adewumi Adediran et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Cherian, A. R. Rao, A. Thwaini, F. Kapasi, I. S. Shergill, and R. Samman, “Medical and surgical management of priapism,” Postgraduate Medical Journal, vol. 82, no. 964, pp. 89–94, 2006.
- A. M. Emond, R. J. Hayes, R. Holman, and G. R. Serjeant, “Priapism and impotence in homozygous sickle cell disease,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 140, no. 11, pp. 1434–1437, 1980.
- D. Bruno, D. R. Wigfall, S. A. Zimmerman, P. M. Rosoff, and J. S. Wiener, “Genitourinary complications of sickle cell disease,” Journal of Urology, vol. 166, no. 3, pp. 803–811, 2001.
- L. W. Diggs, “Anatomic lesions in sickled cell disease,” in Sickle Cell Disease: Diagnosis, Management, Education, and Research., H. Abramson, J. F. Bertles, and D. L. Wethers, Eds., pp. 189–229, Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 1973.
- A. L. Burnett, R. R. Allen, C. M. Tempany, G. J. Dover, and C. B. Brendler, “Evaluation of erectile function in men with sickle cell disease,” Urology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 657–663, 1995.
- S. T. Miller, S. P. Rao, E. K. Dunn, and K. I. Glassberg, “Priapism in children with sickle cell disease,” Journal of Urology, vol. 154, no. 2 part 2, pp. 844–847, 1995.
- J. R. Sharpsteen Jr., D. Powars, C. Johnson, Z. R. Rogers, W. D. Williams, and R. J. Posch, “Multisystem damage associated with tricorporal priapism in sickle cell disease,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 289–295, 1993.
- G. B. Snyder and C. A. Wilson, “Surgical management of priapism and its sequelae in sickle cell disease,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 1393–1396, 1966.
- A. D. Gbado, J. K. Assimadi, and Y. A. Sgbna, “Short period of administration of diethylstilbestrol in stuttering priapism in sickle cell anemia,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 297–298, 2002.
- L. A. Levine, S. P. Guss, and G. Gerber, “Gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues in the treatment of sickle cell anemia-associated priapism,” Journal of Urology, vol. 150, no. 2 part 1, pp. 475–477, 1993.
- P. Dahm, D. S. Rao, and C. F. Donatucci, “Antiandrogens in the treatment of priapism,” Urology, vol. 59, no. 1, article 138, 2002.
- R. A. Seeler, “Intensive transfusion therapy for priapism in boys with sickle cell anemia,” Journal of Urology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 360–363, 1973.
- C. C. Winter, “Priapism cured by creation of fistulas between glans penis and corpora cavernosa,” Journal of Urology, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 227–228, 1978.
- R. Quackels, “Cure of a patient suffering from priapism by carvenos spongiosal anastomosis,” Acta Neurologica Belgica, vol. 32, pp. 5–7, 1964.
- R. A. Bertram, C. C. Carson, and G. D. Webster, “Implantation of penile prostheses in patients impotent after priapism,” Urology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 325–327, 1985.
- E. K. Abudu, S. A. Akanmu, O. O. Soriyan, et al., “Serum testosterone levels of HbSS (sickle cell disease) male subjects in Lagos, Nigeria,” BMC Research Notes, vol. 4, article 298, 2011.
- A. B. Adeyoju, A. B. Olujohungbe, J. Morris, et al., “Priapism in sickle-cell disease; incidence, risk factors and complications-an international multicentre study,” BJU International, vol. 90, no. 9, pp. 898–902, 2002.
- A. D. Gbadoe, A. Dogba, A. Y. Segbena, et al., “Priapism in sickle cell anemia in Togo: prevalence and knowledge of this complication,” Hemoglobin, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 355–361, 2001.
- A. D. Gbadoe, I. Diagne, A. Ilboudo, et al., “Priapism in sickle cell anaemia in Senegal: prevalence, attitudes and knowledge,” Bulletin de la Societe de Pathologie Exotique, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 179–181, 2007.
- T. A. Badmus, I. A. Adediran, A. R. K. Adesunkanmi, and I. A. Katung, “Priapism in southwestern Nigeria,” East African Medical Journal, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 518–524, 2003.
- A. E. Aghaji, “Priapism in adult Nigerians,” BJU International, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 493–495, 2000.
- A. M. Emond, R. Holman, R. J. Hayes, and G. R. Serjeant, “Priapism and impotence in homozygous sickle cell disease,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 140, no. 11, pp. 1434–1437, 1980.