- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 271304, 4 pages
Impact of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Pharmacological Treatment on Transrectal Prostate Biopsy Adverse Effects
1Urology Division, Faculty of Medicine, Pontifical Catholic University of Campinas (PUC-Campinas), 13083-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
2Dr. Mario Gatti County Hospital, 13083-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
3Urology Division, Department of Surgery, University of Campinas (UNICAMP), 13083-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
4Department of Genetics, University of Campinas (UNICAMP), 13083-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
5Department of Urology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Campinas (UNICAMP), 13083-970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Received 6 February 2014; Revised 30 March 2014; Accepted 13 April 2014; Published 28 April 2014
Academic Editor: Maxwell V. Meng
Copyright © 2014 Marina Zamuner et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Cancer Society, Overview: Prostate Cancer. How Many Men Get Prostate Cancer?, 2013, http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003072-pdf.pdf.
- F. Rabbani, N. Stroumbakis, B. R. Kava, M. S. Cookson, and W. R. Fair, “Incidence and clinical significance of false-negative sextant prostate biopsies,” The Journal of Urology, vol. 37, no. 6, p. 660, 1998.
- I. M. Thompson, D. K. Pauler, P. J. Goodman et al., “Prevalence of prostate cancer among men with a prostate-specific antigen level ≤4.0 ng per milliliter,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 22, pp. 2239–2321, 2004.
- M. J. Ahrens, P. A. Bertin, E. F. Vonesh, T. J. Meade, W. J. Catalona, and D. Georganopoulou, “PSA enzymatic activity: a new biomarker for assessing prostate cancer aggressiveness,” Prostate, vol. 73, no. 16, pp. 1731–1737, 2013.
- M. D. Rifkin, A. A. Alexander, J. Pisarchick, and T. Matteucci, “Palpable masses in the prostate: superior accuracy of US-guided biopsy compared with accuracy of digitally guided biopsy,” Radiology, vol. 179, no. 1, pp. 41–42, 1991.
- S. Loeb, A. Vellekoop, H. U. Ahmed et al., “Systematic review of complications of prostate biopsy,” European Urology, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 876–892, 2013.
- P.-F. Shen, Y.-C. Zhu, W.-R. Wei et al., “The results of transperineal versus transrectal prostate biopsy: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Asian Journal of Andrology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 310–315, 2012.
- S. Kravchick, S. Cytron, A. Mamonov, R. Peled, and L. Linov, “Effect of short-term dutasteride therapy on prostate vascularity in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia: a pilot study,” Urology, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 1274–1278, 2009.
- C.-H. Liao, J.-H. Guh, S.-C. Chueh, and H.-J. Yu, “Anti-angiogenic effects and mechanism of prazosin,” Prostate, vol. 71, no. 9, pp. 976–984, 2011.
- K. Keledjian, A. Borkowski, G. Kim, J. T. Isaacs, S. C. Jacobs, and N. Kyprianou, “Reduction of human prostate tumor vascularity by the α1-adrenoceptor antagonist terazosin,” Prostate, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 71–78, 2001.
- J. Angulo, P. Cuevas, A. Fernández et al., “Tadalafil enhances the inhibitory effects of tamsulosin on neurogenic contractions of human prostate and bladder neck,” The Journal of Sexual Medicine, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 2293–2306, 2012.
- L. O. Reis, E. L. Zani, J. C. Alonso, F. A. Simões, R. F. Rejowski, and U. Ferreira, “Does the criterion for prostate biopsy indication impact its accuracy? A prospective population-based outpatient clinical setting study,” Actas Urologicas Espanolas, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 10–14, 2011.
- V. C. N. Junqueira, O. Zogbi, A. Cologna et al., “Is a visible (hypoechoic) lesion at biopsy an independent predictor of prostate cancer outcome?” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 1689–1694, 2012.
- L. O. Reis, J. A. S. Reinato, D. C. Silva, W. E. Matheus, F. Denardi, and U. Ferreira, “The impact of core biopsy fragmentation in prostate cancer,” International Urology and Nephrology, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 965–969, 2010.
- A. Anastasiadis, L. Zapała, E. Cordeiro, A. Antoniewicz, G. Dimitriadis, and T. De Reijke, “Complications of prostate biopsy,” Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 829–837, 2013.
- A. Campeggi, I. Ouzaid, E. Xylinas et al., “Acute bacterial prostatitis after transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy: epidemiological, bacteria and treatment patterns from a 4-year prospective study,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 152–155, 2013.
- G. I. Pinkhasov, Y.-K. Lin, R. Palmerola et al., “Complications following prostate needle biopsy requiring hospital admission or emergency department visits—experience from 1000 consecutive cases,” BJU International, vol. 110, pp. 369–374, 2012.
- M. Peyromaure, V. Ravery, A. Messas, M. Toublanc, L. Boccon-Gibod, and L. Boccon-Gibod, “Pain and morbidity of an extensive prostate 10-biopsy protocol: a prospective study in 289 patients,” Journal of Urology, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 218–221, 2002.
- Ö. L. Özdal, C. Özden, K. Benli, S. Gökkaya, S. Bulut, and A. Memiş, “Effect of short-term finasteride therapy on peroperative bleeding in patients who were candidates for transurethral resection of the prostate (TUR-P): a randomized controlled study,” Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 215–218, 2005.
- A. L. Pastore, S. Mariani, F. Barrese et al., “Transurethral resection of prostate and the role of pharmacological treatment with dutasteride in decreasing surgical blood loss,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 68–70, 2013.
- R. G. Hahn, T. Fagerström, T. L. J. Tammela et al., “Blood loss and postoperative complications associated with transurethral resection of the prostate after pretreatment with dutasteride,” BJU International, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 587–594, 2007.
- J. A. Arratia-Maqueo, R. Garza-Cortés, L. S. Gómez-Guerra, and J. R. Cortés-Gonzlez, “Effect of one month treatment with dutasteride on transurethral resection of the prostate,” Actas Urologicas Espanolas, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 866–869, 2010.