About this Journal Submit a Manuscript Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 861940, 4 pages
http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/861940
Clinical Study

Pathologic Outcomes following Urethral Diverticulectomy in Women

1Department of Urology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York-Presbyterian Hospital, 425 E. 61st Street, 12th Floor, New York, NY 10065, USA
2Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York-Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY 10065, USA

Received 14 February 2014; Accepted 7 April 2014; Published 17 April 2014

Academic Editor: Maxwell V. Meng

Copyright © 2014 Melissa A. Laudano et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract

Purpose. Although most urethral diverticula in women are benign, there is a subset of patients who develop malignant changes. Limited studies report the pathologic findings associated with this relatively rare entity. We describe the clinicopathologic findings of women who underwent urethral diverticulectomy. Methods. A consecutive series of 29 women who underwent surgical resection of a urethral diverticulum were identified between 1992 and 2013. Clinical and radiographic data was collected by retrospective review of patient medical records. All pathological slides were rereviewed by a single urologic pathologist. Results. Of the 14 women with clinical data, 9 (64%) presented with urgency, 7 (50%) with urinary frequency, 3 (21%) with urinary incontinence, and 3 (21%) with dysuria. Mean diverticular size was 2.3 cm. Although one patient (3%) had invasive adenocarcinoma on final pathology, the remaining 28 cases (97%) demonstrated benign features. The most common findings were inflammation (55%) and nephrogenic adenoma (21%). Conclusions. Although most urethral diverticula in women are benign, there is a subset of patients who develop malignancy in association with the diverticulum. In this series, 97% of cases had a benign histology. These findings are important when counseling patients regarding treatment options.