- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Urology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 984382, 4 pages
Diethylstilbestrol 1 mg in the Treatment of Acute Urinary Retention due to Prostatic Obstruction in the Elderly: A Preliminary Study
1Faculty of Medicine, Pontifical Catholic University of Campinas (PUC-Campinas), 13060-904 Campinas, SP, Brazil
2Urology Division, Pontifical Catholic University of Campinas (PUC-Campinas), 13060-904 Campinas, SP, Brazil
3Faculty of Medicine and Urology Division, University of Campinas (Unicamp), 13083-887 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Received 31 July 2013; Revised 7 November 2013; Accepted 24 November 2013; Published 19 January 2014
Academic Editor: James A. Brown
Copyright © 2014 Leonardo Oliveira Reis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Manikandan, S. J. Srirangam, P. H. O'Reilly, and G. N. Collins, “Management of acute urinary retention secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia in the UK: a national survey,” BJU International, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 84–88, 2004.
- R. Pickard, M. Emberton, and D. E. Neal, “The management of men with acute urinary retention,” British Journal of Urology, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 712–720, 1998.
- W. K. Mebust, H. L. Holtgrewe, A. T. K. Cockett, and P. C. Peters, “Transurethral prostatectomy: immediate and postoperative complications. A cooperative study of 13 participating institutions evaluating 3,885 patients,” Journal of Urology, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 243–247, 1989.
- M. Eberton, “Acute urinary retention in men. An age old problem,” British Medical Journal, vol. 318, pp. 921–925, 1999.
- S. J. Jacobsen, D. J. Jacobson, C. J. Girman et al., “Natural history of prostatism: risk factors for acute urinary retention,” Journal of Urology, vol. 158, no. 2, pp. 481–487, 1997.
- F. Desgrandchamps, A. de la Taille, and J.-D. Doublet, “The management of acute urinary retention in France: a cross-sectional survey in 2618 men with benign prostatic hyperplasia,” BJU International, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 727–733, 2006.
- M. Elhilali, G. Vallancien, M. Emberton, et al., “Management of acute urinary retention (AUR) in patients with BPH. A worldwide comparison,” Journal of Urology, vol. 171, supplement 407, article A1544, 2004.
- M. Taube and H. Gajraj, “Trial without catheter following acute retention of urine,” British Journal of Urology, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 180–182, 1989.
- K. J. Hastie, A. J. Dickinson, R. Ahmad, and C. U. Moisey, “Acute retention of urine: is trial without catheter justified?” Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 225–227, 1990.
- P. J. Drinka, “Complications of chronic indwelling urinary catheters,” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 388–392, 2006.
- S. O. Ikuerowo, A. A. Ogunade, T. O. Ogunlowo, C. C. Uzodimma, and J. O. Esho, “The burden of prolonged indwelling catheter after acute urinary retention in Ikeja—lagos, Nigeria,” BMC Urology, vol. 7, article 16, 2007.
- M. I. Patel, W. Watts, and A. Grant, “The optimal form of urinary drainage after acute retention of urine,” BJU International, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 26–29, 2001.
- E. Varenhorst and G. Alund, “Urethral obstruction secondary to carcinoma of prostate: response to endocrine treatment,” Urology, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 354–356, 1985.
- L. L. Klarskov, P. Klarskov, S. Mommsen, and N. Svolgaard, “Effect of endocrine treatment on voiding and prostate size in men with prostate cancer: a long-term prospective study,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 37–43, 2012.
- P. Narayan, J. Trachtenberg, H. Lepor et al., “A dose-response study of the effect of flutamide on benign prostatic hyperplasia: results of a multicenter study,” Urology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 497–504, 1996.
- P. E. Onu, “Depot medroxyprogesterone in the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia,” European Urology, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 229–235, 1995.
- D. Dubey, A. Kumar, R. Kapoor, A. Srivastava, and A. Mandhani, “Acute urinary retention: defining the need and timing for pressure-flow studies,” BJU International, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 178–181, 2001.
- B. Djavan, S. Madersbacher, C. Klingler, and M. Marberger, “Urodynamic assessment of patients with acute urinary retention: is treatment failure after prostatectomy predictable?” Journal of Urology, vol. 158, no. 5, pp. 1829–1833, 1997.
- S. A. McNeill, T. B. Hargreave, and H. Gallagher, “Longterm follow-up following presentation with a first episode of acute urinary retention,” Journal of Urology, vol. 163, p. 307, 2000.