- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Virology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 606201, 5 pages
Genotyping of HCV RNA Reveals That 3a Is the Most Prevalent Genotype in Mardan, Pakistan
1Department of Biotechnology, Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan, Mardan 23200, Pakistan
2Center of Biotechnology & Microbiology, University of Peshawar, Peshawar 25120, Pakistan
3Department of Biotechnology, KUST, Kohat 26000, Pakistan
4Department of Botany, Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan, Mardan 23200, Pakistan
5Department of Agriculture, Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan, Mardan 23200, Pakistan
6Department of Biochemistry, Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan, Mardan 23200, Pakistan
7Department of Chemistry, Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan, Mardan 23200, Pakistan
Received 14 November 2013; Revised 14 January 2014; Accepted 15 January 2014; Published 26 February 2014
Academic Editor: Jay C. Brown
Copyright © 2014 Sajid Ali et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. B. Strader, T. Wright, D. L. Thomas, and L. B. Seeff, “Diagnosis, management, and treatment of hepatitis C,” Hepatology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 1147–1171, 2004.
- S. Klimashevskaya, A. Obriadina, T. Ulanova et al., “Distinguishing acute from chronic and resolved hepatitis C virus (HCV) infections by measurement of anti-HCV immunoglobulin G avidity index,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 3400–3403, 2007.
- A. C. Araujo, I. V. Astrakhantseva, H. A. Fields, and S. Kamili, “Distinguishing acute from chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection based on antibody reactivities to specific HCV structural and nonstructural proteins,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 54–57, 2011.
- L. Stuyver, W. van Arnhem, A. Wyseur, F. Hernandez, E. Delaporte, and G. Maertens, “Classification of hepatitis C viruses based on phylogenetic analysis of the envelope 1 and nonstructural 5B regions and identification of five additional subtypes,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 91, no. 21, pp. 10134–10138, 1994.
- J. Bukh, R. H. Miller, and R. H. Purcell, “Genetic heterogeneity of hepatitis C virus: quasispecies and genotypes,” Seminars in Liver Disease, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 41–63, 1995.
- T. Sy and M. M. Jamal, “Epidemiology of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection,” International Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 41–46, 2006.
- J. Pawlotsky, “Mechanisms of antiviral treatment efficacy and failure in chronic hepatitis C,” Antiviral Research, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2003.
- M. Nafees, M. S. Bhatti, and I. U. Haq, “Sero-prevalence of HCV Antibodies in population attending Madina Teaching hospital, Faisalabad,” Annals of King Edward Medical University, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 57–62, 2010.
- S. Akhtar, T. Moatter, S. I. Azam, M. H. Rahbar, and S. Adil, “Prevalence and risk factors for intrafamilial transmission of hepatitis C virus in Karachi, Pakistan,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 309–314, 2002.
- N. S. Ali, K. Jamal, and R. Qureshi, “Hepatitis B vaccination status and identification of risk factors for hepatitis B in health care workers,” Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons. Pakistan, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 257–260, 2005.
- T. Ohno, M. Mizokami, R. Wu et al., “New hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotyping system that allows for identification of HCV genotypes 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, 4, 5a, and 6a,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 201–207, 1997.
- Y. S. Lee, S. K. Yoon, E. S. Chung et al., “The relationship of histologic activity to serum ALT, HCV genotype and HCV RNA titers in chronic hepatitis C,” Journal of Korean Medical Science, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 585–591, 2001.
- X. Forns, M. D. Maluenda, F. X. López-Labrador et al., “Comparative study of three methods for genotyping hepatitis C virus strains in samples from Spanish patients,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 2516–2521, 1996.
- K. Nagayama, M. Kurosaki, N. Enomoto, Y. Miyasaka, F. Marumo, and C. Sato, “Characteristics of hepatitis C viral genome associated with disease progression,” Hepatology, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 745–750, 2000.
- J. Pawlotsky, L. Prescott, P. Simmonds et al., “Serological determination of hepatitis C virus genotype: comparison with a standardized genotyping assay,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1734–1739, 1997.
- H. Okamoto, Y. Sugiyama, S. Okada et al., “Typing hepatitis C virus by polymerase chain reaction with type-specific primers: application to clinical surveys and tracing infectious sources,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 73, part 3, pp. 673–679, 1992.
- M. T. Pyne, E. Q. Konnick, A. Phansalkar, and D. R. Hillyard, “Evaluation of the abbott investigational use only RealTime hepatitis C virus (HCV) assay and comparison to the roche TaqMan HCV analyte-specific reagent assay,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 2872–2878, 2009.
- N. Muhammad and M. A. Jan, “Epidemiology of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection,” Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons. Pakistan, vol. 15, no. 1, p. 11, 2005.
- M. Idrees and S. Riazuddin, “Frequency distribution of hepatitis C virus genotypes in different geographical regions of Pakistan and their possible routes of transmission,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 8, article 69, 2008.
- J. R. Oubiña, J. F. Quarleri, M. A. Sawicki et al., “Hepatitis C virus and GBV-C/hepatitis G virus in Argentine patients with porphyria cutanea tarda,” Intervirology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 215–218, 2001.
- V. Alfonso, D. Flichman, S. Sookoian, V. A. Mbayed, and R. H. Campos, “Phylogenetic characterization of genotype 4 hepatitis C virus isolates from Argentina,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1989–1992, 2001.
- S. Attaullah, S. Khan, and I. Ali, “Hepatitis C virus genotypes in Pakistan: a systemic review,” Virology Journal, vol. 8, article 433, 2011.
- Y.-W. Hu, E. Balaskas, M. Furione et al., “Comparison and application of a novel genotyping method, semiautomated primer-specific and mispair extension analysis, and four other genotyping assays for detection of hepatitis C virus mixed-genotype infections,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 2807–2813, 2000.
- J.-S. Li, L. Vitvitski, S.-P. Tong, and C. Trepo, “Identification of the third major genotype of hepatitis C virus in France,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 199, no. 3, pp. 1474–1481, 1994.
- J. Albadalejo, R. Alonso, R. Antinozzi et al., “Multicenter evaluation of the COBAS AMPLICOR HCV assay, an integrated PCR system for rapid detection of hepatitis C virus RNA in the diagnostic laboratory,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 862–865, 1998.