- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Bioinorganic Chemistry and Applications
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 976495, 9 pages
Physicochemical Properties and Cellular Responses of Strontium-Doped Gypsum Biomaterials
1Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials Department, Materials and Energy Research Center, P.O. Box 31787/316, Karaj 3177983634, Iran
2Ceramics Department, Materials and Energy Reserach Center, P.O. Box 31787/316, Karaj 3177983634, Iran
Received 25 January 2012; Accepted 1 April 2012
Academic Editor: Spyros Perlepes
Copyright © 2012 Amir Pouria et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. G. Dahl, P. Allain, P. J. Marie et al., “Incorporation and distribution of strontium in bone,” Bone, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 446–453, 2001.
- S. Pors Nielsen, “The biological role of strontium,” Bone, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 583–588, 2004.
- R. Rizzoli, “A new treatment for post-menopausal osteoporosis: strontium ranelate,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 50–57, 2005.
- P. J. Marie, P. Ammann, G. Boivin, and C. Rey, “Mechanisms of action and therapeutic potential of strontium in bone,” Calcified Tissue International, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 121–129, 2001.
- O. Suzuki, H. Imaizumi, S. Kamakura, and T. Katagiri, “Bone regeneration by synthetic octacalcium phosphate and its role in biological mineralization,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 305–313, 2008.
- Z. Huan and J. Chang, “Calcium-phosphate-silicate composite bone cement: self-setting properties and in vitro bioactivity,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 833–841, 2009.
- T. Yu, J. Ye, and Y. Wang, “Synthesis and property of a novel calcium phosphate cement,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research—Part B, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 745–751, 2009.
- A. Bigi, E. Foresti, M. Gandolfi, M. Gazzano, and N. Roveri, “Isomorphous substitutions in β-tricalcium phosphate: the different effects of zinc and strontium,” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 259–265, 1997.
- S. Jegou Saint-Jean, C. L. Camiré, P. Nevsten, S. Hansen, and M. P. Ginebra, “Study of the reactivity and in vitro bioactivity of Sr-substituted α-TCP cements,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 993–1001, 2005.
- Y. W. Li, J. C. Y. Leong, W. W. Lu et al., “A novel injectable bioactive bone cement for spinal surgery: a developmental and preclinical study,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 164–170, 2000.
- D. Guo, K. Xu, X. Zhao, and Y. Han, “Development of a strontium-containing hydroxyapatite bone cement,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 19, pp. 4073–4083, 2005.
- K. M. C. Cheung, W. W. Lu, K. D. K. Luk et al., “Vertebroplasty by use of a strontium-containing bioactive bone cement,” Spine, vol. 30, no. 17, pp. S84–S91, 2005.
- C. T. Wong, W. W. Lu, W. K. Chan et al., “In vivo cancellous bone remodeling on a Strontium-containing hydroxyapatite (Sr-HA) bioactive cement,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research—Part A, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 513–521, 2004.
- W. Xue, H. L. Hosick, A. Bandyopadhyay et al., “Preparation and cell-materials interactions of plasma sprayed strontium-containing hydroxyapatite coating,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 201, no. 8, pp. 4685–4693, 2007.
- E. A. Abou Neel, W. Chrzanowski, D. M. Pickup et al., “Structure and properties of strontium-doped phosphate-based glasses,” Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 6, no. 34, pp. 435–446, 2009.
- S. Hesaraki, M. Alizadeh, H. Nazarian, and D. Sharifi, “Physico-chemical and in vitro biological evaluation of strontium/calcium silicophosphate glass,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 695–705, 2010.
- D. Anson, “Using calcium sulfate in guided tissue regeneration: a recipe for success,” Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 365–372, 2000.
- S. J. Bier and M. C. Sinensky, “The versatility of calcium sulfate: resolving periodontal challenges,” Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 655–662, 1999.
- G. Pecora, S. Andreana, J. E. Margarone, U. Covani, and J. S. Sottosanti, “Bone regeneration with a calcium sulfate barrier,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 424–429, 1997.
- S. Paderni, S. Terzi, and L. Amendola, “Major bone defect treatment with an osteoconductive bone substitute,” La Chirurgia Degli Organi di Movimento, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 89–96, 2009.
- A. Lazáry, B. Balla, J. P. Kósa et al., “Effect of gypsum on proliferation and differentiation of MC3T3-E1 mouse osteoblastic cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 393–399, 2007.
- T. Kokubo, H. Kushitani, S. Sakka, T. Kitsugi, and T. Yamamuro, “Solutions able to reproduce in vivo surface-structure changes in bioactive glass-ceramic A-W3,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 721–734, 1990.
- S. Hesaraki, F. Moztarzadeh, and N. Nezafati, “Evaluation of a bioceramic-based nanocomposite material for controlled delivery of a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug,” Medical Engineering and Physics, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1205–1213, 2009.
- P. Fourman, P. Royer, M. Levell, and D. B. Morgan, Calcium Metabolism and the Bone, Blackwell, Oxford, UK, 2nd edition, 1968.
- S. Hesaraki, F. Moztarzadeh, R. Nemati, and N. Nezafati, “Preparation and characterization of calcium sulfate-biomimetic apatite nanocomposites for controlled release of antibiotics,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research—Part B, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 651–661, 2009.
- M. Hamdan Alkhraisat, C. Moseke, L. Blanco, J. E. Barralet, E. Lopez-Carbacos, and U. Gbureck, “Strontium modified biocements with zero order release kinetics,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 35, pp. 4691–4697, 2008.
- D. Boyd, M. R. Towler, S. Watts, R. G. Hill, A. W. Wren, and O. M. Clarkin, “The role of Sr2+ on the structure and reactivity of SrO-CaO-ZnO-SiO2 ionomer glasses,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 953–957, 2008.
- M. A. Rauschmann, T. A. Wichelhaus, V. Stirnal et al., “Nanocrystalline hydroxyapatite and calcium sulphate as biodegradable composite carrier material for local delivery of antibiotics in bone infections,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 15, pp. 2677–2684, 2005.
- E. Landi, A. Tampieri, G. Celotti, S. Sprio, M. Sandri, and G. Logroscino, “Sr-substituted hydroxyapatites for osteoporotic bone replacement,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 961–969, 2007.
- W. Xue, J. L. Moore, H. L. Hosick et al., “Osteoprecursor cell response to strontium-containing hydorxyapatite ceramics,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research—Part A, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 804–814, 2006.
- G. S. Stein, J. B. Lian, and T. A. Owen, “Relationship of cell growth to the regulation of tissue-specific gene expression during osteoblast differentiation,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 4, no. 13, pp. 3111–3123, 1990.
- H. W. Kim, Y. H. Koh, Y. M. Kong, J. G. Kang, and H. E. Kim, “Strontium substituted calcium phosphate biphasic ceramics obtained by a powder precipitation method,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 1129–1134, 2004.