- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Bioinorganic Chemistry and Applications
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 175756, 6 pages
Preparation and Characterization of Hydroxyapatite Coating on AZ31 Mg Alloy for Implant Applications
1EcoTopia Science Institute, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
2Graduate School of Engineering, Al-Azhar University, Nasr City, Cairo 11371, Egypt
Received 2 November 2012; Revised 19 January 2013; Accepted 21 January 2013
Academic Editor: Giovanni Natile
Copyright © 2013 S. A. Salman et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Ono, A. Kodama, and H. Asoh, “Electrodeposition behavior of hydroxyapatite on porous electrode composed of sintered titanium spheres,” Journal of Japan Institute of Light Metals, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 593–598, 2008.
- M. Sumita, T. Hanawa, and S. H. Teoh, “Development of nitrogen-containing nickel-free austenitic stainless steels for metallic biomaterials—review,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 24, no. 6–8, pp. 753–760, 2004.
- B. D. Hahn, D. S. Park, J. J. Choi et al., “Aerosol deposition of hydroxyapatite-chitosan composite coatings on biodegradable magnesium alloy,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 205, no. 8-9, pp. 3112–3118, 2011.
- C. Lhotka, T. Szekeres, I. Steffan, K. Zhuber, and K. Zweymüller, “Four-year study of cobalt and chromium blood levels in patients managed with two different metal-on-metal total hip replacements,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 189–195, 2003.
- J. Nagels, M. Stokdijk, and P. M. Rozing, “Stress shielding and bone resorption in shoulder arthroplasty,” Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 35–39, 2003.
- P. Staiger, A. Pietak, J. Huadmai, and G. Dias, “Magnesium and its alloys as orthopedic biomaterials: a review,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1728–1734, 2006.
- J. Vormann, “Magnesium: nutrition and metabolism,” Molecular Aspects of Medicine, vol. 24, no. 1–3, pp. 27–37, 2003.
- C. R. Howlett, H. Zreiqat, R. O'Dell et al., “The effect of magnesium ion implantation into alumina upon the adhesion of human bone derived cells,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 5, no. 9-10, pp. 715–722, 1994.
- F. Witte, V. Kaese, H. Haferkamp et al., “In vivo corrosion of four magnesium alloys and the associated bone response,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 17, pp. 3557–3563, 2005.
- C. E. Wen, M. Mabuchi, Y. Yamada, K. Shimojima, Y. Chino, and T. Asahina, “Processing of biocompatible porous Ti and Mg,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 1147–1153, 2001.
- K. Y. Chiu, M. H. Wong, F. T. Cheng, and H. C. Man, “Characterization and corrosion studies of fluoride conversion coating on degradable Mg implants,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 202, no. 3, pp. 590–598, 2007.
- X. N. Gu, W. Zheng, Y. Cheng, and Y. F. Zheng, “A study on alkaline heat treated Mg-Ca alloy for the control of the biocorrosion rate,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 2790–2799, 2009.
- C. Liu, Y. Xin, X. Tian, and P. K. Chu, “Corrosion behavior of AZ91 magnesium alloy treated by plasma immersion ion implantation and deposition in artificial physiological fluids,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 516, no. 2–4, pp. 422–427, 2007.
- L. L. Hench and J. M. Polak, “Third-generation biomedical materials,” Science, vol. 295, no. 5557, pp. 1014–1017, 2002.
- L. Yan, Y. Leng, and L. T. Weng, “Characterization of chemical inhomogeneity in plasma-sprayed hydroxyapatite coatings,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 15, pp. 2585–2592, 2003.
- M. Hamdi and A. Ide-Ektessabi, “Preparation of hydroxyapatite layer by ion beam assisted simultaneous vapor deposition,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 163-164, pp. 362–367, 2003.
- S. J. Ding, “Properties and immersion behavior of magnetron-sputtered multi-layered hydroxyapatite/titanium composite coatings,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 23, pp. 4233–4238, 2003.
- W. Weng, S. Zhang, K. Cheng et al., “Sol-gel preparation of bioactive apatite films,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 167, no. 2-3, pp. 292–296, 2003.
- W. H. Song, Y. K. Jun, Y. Han, and S. H. Hong, “Biomimetic apatite coatings on micro-arc oxidized titania,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 17, pp. 3341–3349, 2004.
- X. Meng, T. Y. Kwon, and K. H. Kim, “Hydroxyapatite coating by electrophoretic deposition at dynamic voltage,” Dental Materials Journal, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 666–671, 2008.
- R. Chiesa, E. Sandrini, M. Santin, G. Rondelli, and A. Cigada, “Osteointegration of titanium and its alloys by anodic spark deposition and other electrochemical techniques: a review,” The Journal of Applied Biomaterials & Biomechanics, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 91–107, 2003.
- W. Siefert, “Corona spray pyrolysis: a new coating technique with an extremely enhanced deposition efficiency,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 267–274, 1984.
- M. Iafisco, R. Bosco, S. C. G. Leeuwenburgh, et al., “Electrostatic spray deposition of biomimetic nanocrystalline apatite coatings onto titanium,” Advanced Engineering Materials, vol. 14, pp. B13–B20, 2012.
- M. C. Kuo and S. K. Yen, “The process of electrochemical deposited hydroxyapatite coatings on biomedical titanium at room temperature,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 20, no. 1-2, pp. 153–160, 2002.
- H. Qu and M. Wei, “The effect of temperature and initial pH on biomimetic apatite coating,” Journal of Biomedical Materials, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 204–212, 2008.
- S. A. Salman, Corrosion protection of magnesium alloys with anodizing and conversion coating [Ph.D. thesis], Nagoya University, 2010.
- T. Kokubo and H. Takadama, “How useful is SBF in predicting in vivo bone bioactivity?” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 15, pp. 2907–2915, 2006.