- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Bioinorganic Chemistry and Applications
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 476874, 8 pages
Synthesis, CP-MAS NMR Characterization, and Antibacterial Activities of Glycine and Histidine Complexes of Cd(SeCN)2 and Hg(SeCN)2
1Department of Chemistry, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Dhahran 31261, Saudi Arabia
2Center of Research Excellence in Nanotechnology (CENT), King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Dhahran 31261, Saudi Arabia
3Clinical Research Laboratory, Saad Research & Development Center, Saad Specialist Hospital, Al-Khobar 31952, Saudi Arabia
Received 18 November 2012; Revised 30 December 2012; Accepted 3 January 2013
Academic Editor: Imre Sovago
Copyright © 2013 Bassem A. Al-Maythalony et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. R. Keene, J. A. Smith, and J. G. Collins, “Metal complexes as structure-selective binding agents for nucleic acids,” Coordination Chemistry Reviews, vol. 253, no. 15-16, pp. 2021–2035, 2009.
- J. A. Drewry and P. T. Gunning, “Recent advances in biosensory and medicinal therapeutic applications of zinc(II) and copper(II) coordination complexes,” Coordination Chemistry Reviews, vol. 255, no. 3-4, pp. 459–472, 2011.
- T. Marino, N. Russo, and M. Toscano, “Potential energy surfaces for the gas-phase interaction between α-alanine and alkali metal ions (Li+, Na+, K+). A density functional study,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 40, no. 25, pp. 6439–6443, 2001.
- C. Orvig and M. J. Abrams, “Medicinal inorganic chemistry: introduction,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 99, no. 9, pp. 2201–2204, 1999.
- Z. Guo and P. J. Sadler, “Medicinal inorganic chemistry,” Advances in Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 49, pp. 183–306, 1999.
- P. C. Bruijnincx and P. J. Sadler, “New trends for metal complexes with anticancer activity,” Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 197–206, 2008.
- M. Peschke, A. T. Blades, and P. Kebarle, “Metalloion-ligand binding energies and biological function of metalloenzymes such as carbonic anhydrase. A study based on ab initio calculations and experimental ion-ligand equilibria in the gas phase,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 122, no. 7, pp. 1492–1505, 2000.
- T. Marino, N. Russo, and M. Toscano, “Gas-phase metal ion (Li+, Na+, Cu+) affinities of glycine and alanine,” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol. 79, no. 1–4, pp. 179–185, 2000.
- T. Marino, M. Toscano, N. Russo, and A. Grannd, “Structural and electronic characterization of the complexes obtained by the interaction between bare and hydrated first-row transition-metal ions (Mn2+, Fe2+, Co2+, Ni2+, Cu2+, Zn2+) and glycine,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 110, no. 48, pp. 24666–24673, 2006.
- H. Ai, Y. Bu, and K. Han, “Glycine-Zn+/Zn2+ and their hydrates: on the number of water molecules necessary to stabilize the switterionic glycine-Zn+/Zn2+ over the nonzwitterionic ones,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 118, no. 24, p. 10973, 2003.
- H. Pesonen, A. Sillanpaä, R. Aksela, and K. Laasonen, “Density functional complexation study of metal ions with poly(carboxylic acid) ligands—part 1: poly(acrylic acid) and poly(α-hydroxy acrylic acid),” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 26, pp. 12641–12652, 2005.
- K. Hasegawa, T. Ono, and T. Noguchi, “Ab initio density functional theory calculations and vibrational analysis of zinc-bound 4-methylimidazole as a model of a histidine ligand in metalloenzymes,” Journal of Physical Chemistry A, vol. 106, no. 14, pp. 3377–3390, 2002.
- J. A. Leary, Z. Zhou, S. A. Ogden, and T. D. Williams, “Investigations of gas-phase lithium-peptide adducts: tandem. mass spectrometry and semiempirical studies,” Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 473–480, 1990.
- S. L. Li, J. Y. Wu, Y. P. Tian et al., “Design, crystal growth, characterization, and second-order nonlinear optical properties of two new three-dimensional coordination polymers containing selenocyanate ligands,” European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, no. 14, pp. 2900–2907, 2006.
- M. Nasiruzzaman Shaikh, B. A. Al-Maythalony, M. I. M. Wazeer, and A. A. Isab, “Complexations of 2-thiouracil and 2,4-dithiouracil with Cd(SeCN)2 and Hg(SeCN)2: NMR and anti-bacterial activity studies,” Spectroscopy, vol. 25, no. 3-4, pp. 187–195, 2011.
- P. Barraud, M. Schubert, and F. H. T. Allain, “A strong chemical shift signature provides the coordination mode of histidines in zinc-binding proteins,” Journal of Biomolecular NMR, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 93–101, 2012.
- M. I. M. Wazeer, A. A. Isab, and M. Fettouhi, “New cadmium chloride complexes with imidazolidine-2-thione and its derivatives: X-ray structures, solid state and solution NMR and antimicrobial activity studies,” Polyhedron, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1725–1730, 2007.
- J. Boeckmann, T. Reinert, and C. Näther, “Investigations on the thermal reactivity of and selenocyanato coordination compounds,” Zeitschrift für Anorganische und Allgemeine Chemie, vol. 637, no. 7-8, pp. 940–946, 2011.
- S. N. Shukla, P. Gaur, S. Mathews, S. Khan, and A. Srivastava, “Synthesis, characterization, catalytic and biological activity of some bimetallic selenocyanate Lewis acid derivatives of N , - bis (2-chlorobenzylidene)ethylenediamine,” Journal of Coordination Chemistry, vol. 61, no. 24, pp. 3913–3921, 2008.
- S. Sain, T. K. Maji, G. Mostafa, T. H. Lu, M. Y. Chiang, and N. R. Chaudhuri, “Self assembly towards the construction of molecular ladder and rectangular grid of cadmium(II)-selenocyanate,” Polyhedron, vol. 21, no. 22, pp. 2293–2299, 2002.
- T. K. Maji, S. Sain, G. Mostafa, D. Das, T. H. Lu, and N. R. Chaudhuri, “Synthesis and crystal structure of selenocyanato bridged two dimensional supramolecular coordination compounds of cadmium(II),” Journal of the Chemical Society, Dalton Transactions, no. 21, pp. 3149–3153, 2001.
- A. A. Isab and M. I. M. Wazeer, “Complexation of Zn(II), Cd(II) and Hg(II) with thiourea and selenourea: a , , , and solution and solid-state NMR study,” Journal of Coordination Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 529–537, 2005.
- S. Hayashi and K. Hayamizu, “Chemical shift standards in high-resolution solid-state NMR (2) nuclei,” Bulletin of the Chemical Society of Japan, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 688–690, 1991.
- W. Kemp, NMR in Chemistry, Macmillan Education Ltd., London, UK, 1986.
- K. Eichele and R. E. Wasylischen, W: Simulation Package, Version 1. 4. 4, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Canada; University of Tubingen, Tübingen, Germany, 2001.
- M. J. Colaneri and J. Peisach, “A single crystal EPR and ESEEM analysis of Cu(II)-doped bis(L-histidinato)cadmium dihydrate,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 117, no. 23, pp. 6308–6315, 1995.
- N. U. Zhanpeisov, M. Matsuoka, H. Yamashita, and M. Anpo, “Cluster quantum chemical ab initio study on the interaction of NO molecules with highly dispersed titanium oxides incorporated into silicalite and zeolites,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 102, no. 35, pp. 6915–6920, 1998.
- A. Nicklass, M. Dolg, H. Stoll, and H. Preuss, “Ab initio energy-adjusted pseudopotentials for the noble gases Ne through Xe: calculation of atomic dipole and quadrupole polarizabilities,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 102, no. 22, pp. 8942–8952, 1995.
- M. Frisch, G. Trucks, H. Schlegel et al., Gaussian 09, Rev. A. 1, Gaussian Inc., Wallingford, Conn, USA, 2009.
- V. Navarro, M. L. Villarreal, G. Rojas, and X. Lozoya, “Antimicrobial evaluation of some plants used in Mexican traditional medicine for the treatment of infectious diseases,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 143–147, 1996.
- P. Brooks and N. Davidson, “Mercury (II) complexes of imidazole and histidine,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 82, no. 9, pp. 2118–2123, 1960.
- A. Renuka, K. Shakuntala, and P. C. Srinivasan, Indian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 37A, p. 5, 1998.