- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Bone Marrow Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 916479, 5 pages
Curability of Multiple Myeloma
University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030-4009, USA
Received 22 November 2011; Accepted 23 February 2012
Academic Editor: Luciano J. Costa
Copyright © 2012 Raymond Alexanian et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Alexanian, B. Barlogie, and S. Tucker, “VAD-based regimens as primary treatment for multiple myeloma,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 86–89, 1990.
- R. Alexanian, M. A. Dimopoulos, K. Delasalle, and B. Barlogie, “Primary dexamethasone treatment of multiple myeloma,” Blood, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 887–890, 1992.
- D. Weber, K. Rankin, M. Gavino, K. Delasalle, and R. Alexanian, “Thalidomide alone or with dexamethasone for previously untreated multiple myeloma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 16–19, 2003.
- M. Attal, J. L. Harousseau, T. Facon et al., “Single versus double autologous stem-cell transplantation for multiple myeloma,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 349, no. 26, pp. 2495–2502, 2003.
- J. J. Lahuerta, M. V. Mateos, J. Martínez-Lopez et al., “Influence of pre- and post-transplantation responses on outcome of patients with multiple myeloma: sequential improvement of response and achievement of complete response are associated with longer survival,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 35, pp. 5775–5782, 2008.
- J. L. Harousseau, H. Avet-Loiseau, M. Attal et al., “Achievement of at least very good partial response is a simple and robust prognostic factor in patients with multiple myeloma treated with high-dose therapy: long-term analysis of the IFM 99-02 and 99-04 trials,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 27, no. 34, pp. 5720–5726, 2009.
- M. Wang, S. Giralt, K. Delasalle, B. Handy, and R. Alexanian, “Bortezomib in combination with thalidomide-dexamethasone for previously untreated multiple myeloma,” Hematology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 235–239, 2007.
- M. Wang, K. Delasalle, S. Giralt, and R. Alexanian, “Rapid control of previously untreated multiple myeloma with bortezomib-lenalidomide-dexamethasone (BLD),” Hematology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 70–73, 2010.
- R. Alexanian, D. Weber, S. Giralt et al., “Impact of complete remission with intensive therapy in patients with responsive multiple myeloma,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1037–1043, 2001.
- R. Alexanian, D. Weber, K. Delasalle, B. Handy, R. Champlin, and S. Giralt, “Clinical outcomes with intensive therapy for patients with primary resistant multiple myeloma,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 229–234, 2004.
- J. Blade, D. Samson, D. Reece et al., “Criteria for evaluating disease response and progression in patients with multiple myeloma treated by high-dose therapy and haemopoietic stem cell transplantation,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 102, no. 5, pp. 1115–1123, 1998.
- E. Kaplan and P. Meier, “Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 53, no. 282, pp. 457–481, 1958.
- N. Mantel, “Evaluation of survival data and two new rank order statistics arising in its consideration,” Cancer Chemotherapy Reports, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 163–170, 1966.
- J. R. Anderson, K. C. Cain, and R. D. Gelber, “Analysis of survival by tumor response,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 1, no. 11, pp. 710–719, 1983.
- M. Wang, K. Delasalle, L. Feng et al., “CR represents an early index of potential long survival in multiple myeloma,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 498–504, 2010.
- R. Desikan, B. Barlogie, J. Sawyer et al., “Results of high-dose therapy for 1000 patients with multiple myeloma: durable complete remissions and superior survival in the absence of chromosome 13 abnormalities,” Blood, vol. 95, no. 12, pp. 4008–4010, 2000.
- B. Barlogie, G. J. Tricot, F. Van Rhee et al., “Long-term outcome results of the first tandem autotransplant trial for multiple myeloma,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 158–164, 2006.
- B. Barlogie, E. Anaissie, J. Haessler et al., “Complete remission sustained 3 years from treatment initiation is a powerful surrogate for extended survival in multiple myeloma,” Cancer, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 355–359, 2008.
- J. F. S. San Miguel, J. Almeida, G. Mateo et al., “Immunophenotypic evaluation of the plasma cell compartment in multiple myeloma: a tool for comparing the efficacy of different treatment strategies and predicting outcome,” Blood, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 1853–1856, 2002.
- M. Ladetto, G. Pagliano, S. Ferrero et al., “Major tumor shrinking and persistent molecular remissions after consolidation with bortezomib, thalidomide, and dexamethasone in patients with autografted myeloma,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 2077–2084, 2010.
- D. van Lammeren-Venema, J. Regelink, I. Riphagen, S. Zweegman, H. Otto, and J. Zijlstra, “F-fluoro-deoxyglucose position emission tomography in assessment of myeloma-related bone disease,” Cancer, vol. 11, pp. 1–11, 2011.
- S. V. Rajkumar, “Treatment of myeloma: cure vs control,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 83, no. 10, pp. 1142–1145, 2008.
- A. Fassas, J. Shaughnessy, and B. Barlogie, “Cure of myeloma: hype or reality?” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 215–224, 2005.
- P. Hari, M. C. Pasquini, and D. H. Vesole, “Cure of multiple myeloma—more hype, less reality,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2006.
- J. Martinez-Lopez, J. Blade, M.-V. Mateos et al., “Long-term prognostic significance of response in multiple myeloma after stem cell transplantation,” Blood, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 529–534, 2011.