- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2006 (2006), Article ID 19365, 4 pages
Mechanisms of Neuronal Death in Synucleinopathy
1Department of Neurology, Center for Asian Traditional Medicine Research, Graduate School of Medicine, Tohoku University, 1-1 Seiryomachi, AobakuSendai 980-8574, Japan
2Department of Geriatric and Complementary Medicine, Center for Asian Traditional Medicine Research, Graduate School of Medicine, Tohoku University, 1-1 Seiryomachi, Aobaku 980-8574, Sendai, Japan
Received 1 December 2005; Accepted 20 March 2006
Copyright © 2006 Atsushi Takeda et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J L Eriksen, T M Dawson, D W Dickson, and L Petrucelli, “Caught in the act: -synuclein is the culprit in Parkinson's disease,” Neuron, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 453–456, 2003.
- K K Dev, K Hofele, S Barbieri, V L Buchman, and H Van der Putten, “Part II: -synuclein and its molecular pathophysiological role in neurodegenerative disease,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 14–44, 2003.
- S Chandra, G Gallardo, R Fernandez-Chacon, O M Schluter, and T C Sudhof, “-synuclein cooperates with CSP in preventing neurodegeneration,” Cell, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 383–396, 2005.
- E Munoz, R Oliva, V Obach, et al., “Identification of Spanish familial Parkinson's disease and screening for the Ala53Thr mutation of the -synuclein gene in early onset patients,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 235, no. 1-2, pp. 57–60, 1997.
- R Kruger, W Kuhn, T Muller, et al., “Ala30Pro mutation in the gene encoding -synuclein in Parkinson's disease,” Nature Genetics, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 106–108, 1998.
- J J Zarranz, J Alegre, J C Gomez-Esteban, et al., “The new mutation, E46K, of -synuclein causes Parkinson and Lewy body dementia,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 164–173, 2004.
- M B Feany and W W Bender, “A Drosophila model of Parkinson's disease,” Nature, vol. 404, no. 6776, pp. 394–398, 2000.
- J L Eriksen, Z Wszolek, and L Petrucelli, “Molecular pathogenesis of Parkinson disease,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 353–357, 2005.
- M Matsuzaki, T Hasegawa, A Takeda, et al., “Histochemical features of stress-induced aggregates in -synuclein overexpressing cells,” Brain Research, vol. 1004, no. 1-2, pp. 83–90, 2004.
- T Hasegawa, M Matsuzaki, A Takeda, et al., “Accelerated -synuclein aggregation after differentiation of SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells,” Brain Research, vol. 1013, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 2004.
- B I Giasson, J E Duda, I V Murray, et al., “Oxidative damage linked to neurodegeneration by selective -synuclein nitration in synucleinopathy lesions,” Science, vol. 290, no. 5493, pp. 985–989, 2000.
- S R Paik, H J Shin, and J H Lee, “Metal-catalyzed oxidation of -synuclein in the presence of Copper(II) and hydrogen peroxide,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 378, no. 2, pp. 269–277, 2000.
- E Paxinou, Q Chen, M Weisse, et al., “Induction of -synuclein aggregation by intracellular nitrative insult,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 21, no. 20, pp. 8053–8061, 2001.
- V N Uversky, J Li, and A L Fink, “Evidence for a partially folded intermediate in -synuclein fibril formation,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 14, pp. 10737–10744, 2001.
- A Kikuchi, A Takeda, and H Onodera, “Systemic increase of oxidative nucleic acid damage in Parkinson's disease and multiple system atrophy,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 244–248, 2002.
- J A Johnston, C L Ward, and R R Kopito, “Aggresomes: a cellular response to misfolded proteins,” The Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 143, no. 7, pp. 1883–1898, 1998.
- M Tanaka, Y M Kim, G Lee, E Junn, T Iwatsubo, and M M Mouradian, “Aggresomes formed by -synuclein and synphilin-1 are cytoprotective,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 6, pp. 4625–4631, 2004.
- M Arrasate, S Mitra, E S Schweitzer, M R Segal, and S Finkbeiner, “Inclusion body formation reduces levels of mutant huntingtin and the risk of neuronal death,” Nature, vol. 431, no. 7010, pp. 805–810, 2004.
- M Matsuzaki-Kobayashi, T Hasegawa, A Kikuchi, A Takeda, and Y Itoyama, “Role of iron in the intracellular aggregation of -synuclein,” Movement Disorders, vol. 19, no. sup9, p. S36, 2004.
- H G Lee, R B Petersen, X Zhu, et al., “Will preventing protein aggregates live up to its promise as prophylaxis against neurodegenerative diseases?,” Brain Pathology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 630–638, 2003.
- S Ueda, S Sakakibara, E Watanabe, K Yoshimoto, and N Koibuchi, “Vulnerability of monoaminergic neurons in the brainstem of the zitter rat in oxidative stress,” Progress in Brain Research, vol. 136, pp. 293–302, 2002.
- A H Stokes, T G Hastings, and K E Vrana, “Cytotoxic and genotoxic potential of dopamine,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 659–665, 1999.
- J L Bolton, M A Trush, T M Penning, G Dryhurst, and T J Monks, “Role of quinones in toxicology,” Chemical Research in Toxicology, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 135–160, 2000.
- R G Perez, J C Waymire, E Lin, J J Liu, F Guo, and M J Zigmond, “A role for -synuclein in the regulation of dopamine biosynthesis,” The Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 3090–3099, 2002.
- F J Lee, F Liu, Z B Pristupa, and H B Niznik, “Direct binding and functional coupling of -synuclein to the dopamine transporters accelerate dopamine-induced apoptosis,” FASEB Journal, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 916–926, 2001.
- R G Perez and T G Hastings, “Could a loss of -synuclein function put dopaminergic neurons at risk?,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 1318–1324, 2004.
- A Sidhu, C Wersinger, and P Vernier, “-synuclein regulation of the dopaminergic transporter: a possible role in the pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease,” FEBS Letters, vol. 565, no. 1–3, pp. 1–5, 2004.
- K A Conway, J C Rochet, R M Bieganski, and P T Jr Lansbury, “Kinetic stabilization of the -synuclein protofibril by a dopamine--synuclein adduct,” Science, vol. 294, no. 5545, pp. 1346–1349, 2001.
- H T Li, D H Lin, X Y Luo, et al., “Inhibition of -synuclein fibrillization by dopamine analogs via reaction with the amino groups of -synuclein: implication for dopaminergic neurodegeneration,” FEBS Journal, vol. 272, no. 14, pp. 3661–3672, 2005.
- A Takeda, Y Tomita, S Okinaga, H Tagami, and S Shibahara, “Functional analysis of the cDNA encoding human tyrosinase precursor,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 162, no. 3, pp. 984–990, 1989.
- T Hasegawa, M Matsuzaki, A Takeda, et al., “Increased dopamine and its metabolites in SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells that express tyrosinase,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 470–475, 2003.
- T Hasegawa, M Matsuzaki-Kobayashi, A Takeda, et al., “Synergistic interaction between -synuclein and oxidized catechol metabolites produced by tyrosinase: implications for selective neurodegeneration in Parkinson's disease,” FEBS Letters, vol. 580, pp. 2147–2152, 2006.
- H A Lashuel, D Hartley, B M Petre, T Walz, and P T Jr Lansbury, “Neurodegenerative disease: amyloid pores from pathogenic mutations,” Nature, vol. 418, no. 6895, p. 291, 2002.
- M J Volles and P T Jr Lansbury, “Vesicle permeabilization by protofibrillar -synuclein is sensitive to Parkinson's disease-linked mutations and occurs by a pore-like mechanism,” Biochemistry, vol. 41, no. 14, pp. 4595–4602, 2002.
- R Kayed, Y Sokolov, B Edmonds, et al., “Permeabilization of lipid bilayers is a common conformation-dependent activity of soluble amyloid oligomers in protein misfolding diseases,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 45, pp. 46363–46366, 2004.
- M R Gluck and G D Zeevalk, “Inhibition of brain mitochondrial respiration by dopamine and its metabolites: implications for Parkinson's disease and catecholamine-associated diseases,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 788–795, 2004.
- K Furukawa, M Matsuzaki-Kobayashi, T Hasegawa, et al., “High ion permeability of plasma membrane caused by the -synuclein mutations contributes to cellular degeneration,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 97, pp. 1071–1077, 2006.
- M P Mattson and S L Chan, “Dysregulation of cellular calcium homeostasis in Alzheimer's disease: bad genes and bad habits,” Journal of Molecular Neuroscience, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 205–224, 2001.
- K Furukawa, Y Wang, P J Yao, et al., “Alteration in calcium channel properties is responsible for the neurotoxic action of a familial frontotemporal dementia tau mutation,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 427–436, 2003.