- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2006 (2006), Article ID 24038, 5 pages
Heme Deficiency in Alzheimer's Disease: A Possible Connection to Porphyria
1Research Service (151), VA Medical ' Regional Office
Center, White River Junction, 05009, VT, USA
2Department of Medicine (Neurology), Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover 03755, NH, USA
3Institute of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland 44106, OH, USA
Received 1 December 2005; Revised 30 March 2006; Accepted 5 April 2006
Copyright © 2006 Barney E. Dwyer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [5 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Luisa Benerini Gatta, Massimiliano Vitali, Rosanna Verardi, Paolo Arosio, and Dario Finazzi, “Inhibition of heme synthesis alters Amyloid Precursor Protein processing,” Journal of Neural Transmission, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 79–88, 2009.
- Reza Khodarahmi, Hosnieh Soori, and Seyyed Arash Karimi, “Chaperone-like activity of heme group against amyloid-like fibril formation by hen egg ovalbumin: Possible mechanism of action,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 98–106, 2009.
- Reza Khodarahmi, Fardin Naderi, Ali Mostafaie, and Kamran Mansouri, “Heme, as a chaperone, binds to amyloid fibrils and forms peroxidase in vitr o: Possible evidence on critical role of non-specific peroxidase activity i n neurodegenerative disease onset/progression using the alpha-crystallin-ba sed experimental system,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 494, no. 2, pp. 205–215, 2010.
- Dhiman Maitra, Jaeman Byun, Peter R. Andreana, Ibrahim Abdulhamid, Ghassan M. Saed, Michael P. Diamond, Subramaniam Pennathur, and Husam M. Abu-Soud, “Mechanism of hypochlorous acid-mediated heme destruction and free iron release,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 364–373, 2011.
- Meng Li, Chuanqi Zhao, Taicheng Duan, Jinsong Ren, and Xiaogang Qu, “New Insights Into Alzheimer's Disease Amyloid Inhibition: Nanosized Metallo-Supramolecular Complexes Suppress Aβ-Induced Biosynthesis of Heme and Iron Uptake in PC12 Cells,” Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2013.