- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2006 (2006), Article ID 27012, 6 pages
The Adipose Renin-Angiotensin System Modulates Systemic Markers of Insulin Sensitivity and Activates the Intrarenal Renin-Angiotensin System
1Department of Nutrition and Agricultural Experiment Station, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
2Life Sciences Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831, USA
3Centre Biomédical des Cordeliers, INSERM U671-IFR58, Paris 75270, France
4Centre de Biochimie, CNRS 6543, Nice 06108, France
Received 6 April 2006; Revised 17 July 2006; Accepted 18 July 2006
Copyright © 2006 Suyeon Kim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [36 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Caihong Guo, Li Yuan, Xiaoling Liu, Aimin Du, Yan Huang, and Lili Zhang, “Effect of ARB on expression of CD68 and MCP-1 in adipose tissue of rats on long-term high fat diet,” Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology-Medical Sciences, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 257–260, 2008.
- Lisa A. Cassis, Sara B. Police, Frederique Yiannikouris, and Sean E. Thatcher, “Local adipose tissue renin-angiotensin system,” Current Hypertension Reports, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 93–98, 2008.
- Marc-Andre Cornier, Dana Dabelea, Teri L. Hernandez, Rachel C. Lindstrom, Amy J. Steig, Nicole R. Stob, Rachael E. Van Pelt, Hong Wang, and Robert H. Eckel, “The Metabolic Syndrome,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 777–822, 2008.
- Eugen Florin Georgescu, “Angiotensin receptor blockers in the treatment of NASH/NAFLD: Could they be a first-class option?,” Advances in Therapy, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1141–1174, 2008.
- Jill A. Young, Shih-Jen Hwang, Mark J. Sarnak, Udo Hoffmann, Joseph M. Massaro, Daniel Levy, Emelia J. Benjamin, Martin G. Larson, Ramachandran S. Vasan, Christopher J. O'Donnell, and Caroline S. Fox, “Association of Visceral and Subcutaneous Adiposity with Kidney Function,” Clinical Journal of The American Society of Nephrology, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 1786–1791, 2008.
- Cristina Natal, Maria Antonia Fortuno, Patricia Restituto, Antonio Bazan, Immaculada Colina, Javier Diez, and Nerea Varo, “Cardiotrophin-1 is expressed in adipose tissue and upregulated in the metab olic syndrome,” American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 294, no. 1, pp. E52–E60, 2008.
- Norihiro Kato, Yi-Qiang Liang, Yoshinori Ochiai, Naoko Birukawa, Masakuni Serizawa, and Subrina Jesmin, “Candesartan-induced gene expression in five organs of stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats,” Hypertension Research, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1963–1975, 2008.
- Zhi-Wei Ye, Xiao-Ming Wu, and Jian-Guo Jiang, “Expression changes of angiotensin II pathways and bioactive mediators during human preadipocytes-visceral differentiation,” Metabolism, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. 1288–1296, 2009.
- Paula Stucchi, Victoria Cano, Mariano Ruiz-Gayo, and María S Fernández-Alfonso, “Aliskiren reduces body-weight gain, adiposity and plasma leptin during diet-induced obesity,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 158, no. 3, pp. 771–778, 2009.
- Susan M. Fowler, Valentina Kon, Lijun Ma, William O. Richards, Agnes B. Fogo, and Tracy E. Hunley, “Obesity-related focal and segmental glomerulosclerosis: normalization of pr oteinuria in an adolescent after bariatric surgery,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 851–855, 2009.
- Laurent Yvan-Charvet, Florence Massiera, Noel Lamande, Gerard Ailhaud, Michele Teboul, Naima Moustaid-Moussa, Jean-Marie Gasc, and Annie Quignard-Boulange, “Deficiency of Angiotensin Type 2 Receptor Rescues Obesity But Not Hypertens ion Induced by Overexpression of Angiotensinogen in Adipose Tissue,” Endocrinology, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 1421–1428, 2009.
- Jason D. Fowler, Stacy B. Krueth, David A. Bernlohr, and Stephen A. Katz, “Renin dynamics in adipose tissue: adipose tissue control of local renin con centrations,” American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 296, no. 2, pp. E343–E350, 2009.
- Doris H. Kincade, “Evolution of a New Retail Institution Type: Case Study in South Korea and C hina,” Clothing And Textiles Research Journal, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 301–310, 2009.
- Koji Ueda, “Effect of Environmental Chemicals on Genes and the Expression,” Yakugaku Zasshi, vol. 129, no. 12, pp. 1501–1506, 2009.
- Carlos A. Roncal, Sirirat Reungjui, Laura Gabriela Sanchez-Lozada, Wei Mu, Yuri Y. Sautin, Takahiko Nakagawa, and Richard J. Johnson, “Combination of Captopril and Allopurinol Retards Fructose-Induced Metabolic Syndrome,” American Journal of Nephrology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 399–404, 2009.
- Nasser M. Al-Daghri, Omar S. Al-Attas, Majed S. Alokail, Khalid M. Alkharfy, and Hossam M. Draz, “Relationship between resistin and aPAI-1 levels with insulin resistance in Saudi children,” Pediatrics International, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 551–556, 2010.
- S. A. Imran, R. E. Brown, and M. Wilkinson, “Tissue-specific effects of valsartan on rstn and fiaf gene expression in th e ob/ob mouse,” Diabetes & Vascular Disease Research, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 231–238, 2010.
- Tracy E. Hunley, Li-Jun Ma, and Valentina Kon, “Scope and mechanisms of obesity-related renal disease,” Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 227–234, 2010.
- Tian, Luo, Zhao, Wu, and Ban, “Blockade of the RAS increases plasma adiponectin in subjects with metabolic syndrome and enhances differentiation and adiponectin expression of human preadipocytes,” Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 258–265, 2010.
- Anand Vaidya, Jonathan S. Williams, and John P. Forman, “The Independent Association Between 25-Hydroxyvitamin D and Adiponectin and Its Relation With BMI in Two Large Cohorts: The NHS and the HPFS,” Obesity, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 186–191, 2011.
- Anand Vaidya, John P. Forman, Patricia C. Underwood, Paul N. Hopkins, Gordon H. Williams, Luminita H. Pojoga, and Jonathan S. Williams, “The influence of body mass index and renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system a ctivity on the relationship between 25-hydroxyvitamin D and adiponectin in Caucasian men,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 164, no. 6, pp. 995–1002, 2011.
- Anand Vaidya, Luminita Pojoga, Patricia C. Underwood, John P. Forman, Paul N. Hopkins, Gordon H. Williams, and Jonathan S. Williams, “The association of plasma resistin with dietary sodium manipulation, the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, and 25-Hydroxyvitamin D3 in human hypertension,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 294–299, 2011.
- Nishan S. Kalupahana, Brynn H. Voy, Arnold M. Saxton, and Naima Moustaid-Moussa, “Energy-Restricted High-Fat Diets Only Partially Improve Markers of Systemic and Adipose Tissue Inflammation,” Obesity, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 245–254, 2011.
- Nishan S. Kalupahana, Florence Massiera, Annie Quignard-Boulange, Gérard Ailhaud, Brynn H. Voy, David H. Wasserman, and Naima Moustaid-Moussa, “Overproduction of Angiotensinogen from Adipose Tissue Induces Adipose Inflammation, Glucose Intolerance, and Insulin Resistance,” Obesity, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 48–56, 2011.
- N. S. Kalupahana, and N. Moustaid-Moussa, “The renin-angiotensin system: a link between obesity, inflammation and insulin resistance,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 136–149, 2011.
- Anne-Louise Ponsonby, Leigh Blizzard, Angela Pezic, Jenny A. Cochrane, Justine A. Ellis, Ruth Morley, Jo L. Dickinson, Michele M. Sale, Stephen M. Richards, and Terence Dwyer, “Adiposity Gain During Childhood, ACE I/D Polymorphisms and Metabolic Outcomes,” Obesity, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 2141–2147, 2012.
- Bo Ji, Brynn H. Voy, Ben Ernest, Jessica R. Gooding, Suchita Das, Arnold M. Saxton, Jean Simon, Joelle Dupont, Sonia Métayer-Coustard, and Shawn R. Campagna, “Transcriptomic and metabolomic profiling of chicken adipose tissue in response to insulin neutralization and fasting,” BMC Genomics, vol. 13, no. 1, 2012.
- Elena Valassi, Beverly M. K. Biller, Anne Klibanski, and Madhusmita Misra, “Adipokines and Cardiovascular Risk in Cushing's Syndrome,” Neuroendocrinology, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 187–206, 2012.
- Yung Ki Park, Young Jun Lee, Hyun Cho, Hyoung-Joon Chun, and Suck-Jun Oh, “The relationship between metabolic syndrome (MetS) and spontaneous intracer ebral hemorrhage (ICH),” Neurological Sciences, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1523–1528, 2013.
- Cristiane Guberman, Juanita K. Jellyman, Guang Han, Michael G. Ross, and Mina Desai, “Maternal high-fat diet programs rat offspring hypertension and activates the adipose renin-angiotensin system,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 209, no. 3, pp. 262–e8, 2013.
- Yonit Marcus, and Gabi Shefer, “Adipose tissue renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system (RAAS) and progression of insulin resistance,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 378, no. 1-2, pp. 1–14, 2013.
- Anand Vaidya, Patricia C. Underwood, Justin P. Annes, Bei Sun, Gordon H. Williams, John P. Forman, and Jonathan S. Williams, “The influence of sodium- and calcium-regulatory hormone interventions on adipocytokines in obesity and diabetes,” Metabolism: Clinical and Experimental, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 539–547, 2013.
- M. Magnusson, B. Hedblad, G. Engström, M. Persson, P. Nilsson, and O. Melander, “High levels of cystatin C predict the metabolic syndrome: the prospective Malmö Diet and Cancer Study,” Journal of Internal Medicine, 2013.
- Joram D. Mul, Randy J. Seeley, Stephen C. Woods, and Denovan P. Begg, “Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition reduces food intake and weight gain and improves glucose tolerance in melanocortin-4 receptor deficient female rats,” Physiology & Behavior, 2013.
- Christiane Rüster, and Gunter Wolf, “The Role of the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System in Obesity-Related Renal Diseases,” Seminars in Nephrology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 44–53, 2013.
- Yi-Zhi Xu, Xia Zhang, Le Wang, Feng Zhang, Qiu Qiu, Mei-Ling Liu, Gui-Rong Zhang, and Xiao-Ling Wu, “An increased circulating angiotensin II concentration is associated with hypoadiponectinemia and postprandial hyperglycemia in men with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,” Internal Medicine, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 855–861, 2013.