- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2006 (2006), Article ID 27012, 6 pages
The Adipose Renin-Angiotensin System Modulates Systemic Markers of Insulin Sensitivity and Activates the Intrarenal Renin-Angiotensin System
1Department of Nutrition and Agricultural Experiment Station, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA
2Life Sciences Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831, USA
3Centre Biomédical des Cordeliers, INSERM U671-IFR58, Paris 75270, France
4Centre de Biochimie, CNRS 6543, Nice 06108, France
Received 6 April 2006; Revised 17 July 2006; Accepted 18 July 2006
Copyright © 2006 Suyeon Kim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S Kim and H Iwao, “Molecular and cellular mechanisms of angiotensin II-mediated cardiovascular and renal diseases,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 11–34, 2000.
- P S Leung, “The peptide hormone angiotensin II: its new functions in tissues and organs,” Current Protein and Peptide Science, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 267–273, 2004.
- J L Lavoie and C D Sigmund, “Minireview: overview of the renin-angiotensin system—an endocrine and paracrine system,” Endocrinology, vol. 144, no. 6, pp. 2179–2183, 2003.
- B H Jones, M K Standridge, and N Moustaid, “Angiotensin II increases lipogenesis in 3T3-L1 and human adipose cells,” Endocrinology, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 1512–1519, 1997.
- C Darimont, G Vassaux, G Ailhaud, and R Negrel, “Differentiation of preadipose cells: paracrine role of prostacyclin upon stimulation of adipose cells by angiotensin-II,” Endocrinology, vol. 135, no. 5, pp. 2030–2036, 1994.
- F Massiera, M Bloch-Faure, D Ceiler, et al., “Adipose angiotensinogen is involved in adipose tissue growth and blood pressure regulation,” The FASEB Journal, vol. 15, no. 14, pp. 2727–2729, 2001.
- S Engeli, P Schling, K Gorzelniak, et al., “The adipose-tissue renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system: role in the metabolic syndrome?” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 807–825, 2003.
- S Engeli and A M Sharma, “Emerging concepts in the pathophysiology and treatment of obesity-associated hypertension,” Current Opinion in Cardiology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 355–359, 2002.
- K Gorzelniak, S Engeli, J Janke, F C Luft, and A M Sharma, “Hormonal regulation of the human adipose-tissue renin-angiotensin system: relationship to obesity and hypertension,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 965–973, 2002.
- B H Voy, S Kim, S Urs, R Joshi, and N Moustaid-Moussa, “The adipose renin angiotensin system: genetics, regulation and physiological function,” in Genomics and Proteomics in Nutrition, N Moustaid-Moussa and C D Berdanier, Eds., Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, 2004.
- I Hainault, G Nebout, S Turban, B Ardouin, P Ferre, and A Quignard-Boulange, “Adipose tissue-specific increase in angiotensinogen expression and secretion in the obese (fa/fa) Zucker rat,” American Journal of Physiology. Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 282, no. 1, pp. E59–E66, 2002.
- Y-S Tsai, H-J Kim, N Takahashi, et al., “Hypertension and abnormal fat distribution but not insulin resistance in mice with P465L PPAR,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 114, no. 2, pp. 240–249, 2004.
- K Rahmouni, A L Mark, W G Haynes, and C D Sigmund, “Adipose depot-specific modulation of angiotensinogen gene expression in diet-induced obesity,” American Journal of Physiology. Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 286, no. 6, pp. E891–E895, 2004.
- C M Boustany, K Bharadwaj, A Daugherty, D R Brown, D C Randall, and L A Cassis, “Activation of the systemic and adipose renin-angiotensin system in rats with diet-induced obesity and hypertension,” American Journal of Physiology. Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology, vol. 287, no. 4, pp. R943–R949, 2004.
- S Kim, S Urs, F Massiera, et al., “Effects of high-fat diet, angiotensinogen (agt) gene inactivation, and targeted expression to adipose tissue on lipid metabolism and renal gene expression,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 34, no. 11-12, pp. 721–725, 2002.
- F Massiera, J Seydoux, A Geloen, et al., “Angiotensinogen-deficient mice exhibit impairment of diet-induced weight gain with alteration in adipose tissue development and increased locomotor activity,” Endocrinology, vol. 142, no. 12, pp. 5220–5225, 2001.
- V van Harmelen, M Elizalde, P Ariapart, et al., “The association of human adipose angiotensinogen gene expression with abdominal fat distribution in obesity,” International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 673–678, 2000.
- G Giacchetti, E Faloia, C Sardu, et al., “Gene expression of angiotensinogen in adipose tissue of obese patients,” International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders, vol. 24, no. suppl 2, pp. S142–S143, 2000.
- V Van Harmelen, P Ariapart, J Hoffstedt, I Lundkvist, S Bringman, and P Arner, “Increased adipose angiotensinogen gene expression in human obesity,” Obesity Research, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 337–341, 2000.
- E Faloia, C Gatti, M A Camilloni, et al., “Comparison of circulating and local adipose tissue renin-angiotensin system in normotensive and hypertensive obese subjects,” Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 309–314, 2002.
- K Tanimoto, F Sugiyama, Y Goto, et al., “Angiotensinogen-deficient mice with hypotension,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 269, no. 50, pp. 31334–31337, 1994.
- M M Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- R S Ahima and J S Flier, “Leptin,” Annual Review of Physiology, vol. 62, pp. 413–437, 2000.
- T Yamauchi, J Kamon, H Waki, et al., “Globular adiponectin protected ob/ob mice from diabetes and ApoE-deficient mice from atherosclerosis,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 4, pp. 2461–2468, 2003.
- T Yamauchi, J Kamon, H Waki, et al., “The fat-derived hormone adiponectin reverses insulin resistance associated with both lipoatrophy and obesity,” Nature Medicine, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 941–946, 2001.
- C M Steppan, S T Bailey, S Bhat, et al., “The hormone resistin links obesity to diabetes,” Nature, vol. 409, no. 6818, pp. 307–312, 2001.
- L G Navar, “The intrarenal renin-angiotensin system in hypertension,” Kidney International, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 1522–1532, 2004.
- J R Ingelfinger, F Jung, D Diamant, et al., “Rat proximal tubule cell line transformed with origin-defective SV40 DNA: autocrine ANG II feedback,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 276, no. 2 pt 2, pp. F218–F227, 1999.
- H Schunkert, J R Ingelfinger, A T Hirsch, et al., “Evidence for tissue-specific activation of renal angiotensinogen mRNA expression in chronic stable experimental heart failure,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 1523–1529, 1992.
- B H Jones, M K Standridge, J W Taylor, and N Moustaid-Moussa, “Angiotensinogen gene expression in adipose tissue: analysis of obese models and hormonal and nutritional control,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 273, no. 1 pt 2, pp. R236–R242, 1997.
- S I McFarlane, A Kumar, and J R Sowers, “Mechanisms by which angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors prevent diabetes and cardiovascular disease,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 91, no. 12 suppl 1, pp. 30H–37H, 2003.
- M Umeda, T Kanda, and M Murakami, “Effects of angiotensin II receptor antagonists on insulin resistance syndrome and leptin in sucrose-fed spontaneously hypertensive rats,” Hypertension Research, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 485–492, 2003.
- M Furuhashi, N Ura, K Higashiura, et al., “Blockade of the renin-angiotensin system increases adiponectin concentrations in patients with essential hypertension,” Hypertension, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 76–81, 2003.
- S Kim, J Whelan, K Claycombe, D B Reath, and N Moustaid-Moussa, “Angiotensin II increases leptin secretion by 3T3-L1 and human adipocytes via a prostaglandin-independent mechanism,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 132, no. 6, pp. 1135–1140, 2002.
- G Giacchetti, L A Sechi, C A Griffin, B R Don, F Mantero, and M Schambelan, “The tissue renin-angiotensin system in rats with fructose-induced hypertension: overexpression of type 1 angiotensin II receptor in adipose tissue,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 695–702, 2000.
- N Nyui, K Tamura, K Mizuno, et al., “Stretch-induced map kinase activation in cardiomyocytes of angiotensinogen-deficient mice,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 235, no. 1, pp. 36–41, 1997.
- K Tamura, S Umemura, Y Sumida, et al., “Effect of genetic deficiency of angiotensinogen on the renin-angiotensin system,” Hypertension, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 223–227, 1998.
- N Lochard, D W Silversides, J P Van Kats, C Mercure, and T L Reudelhuber, “Brain-specific restoration of angiotensin II corrects renal defects seen in angiotensinogen-deficient mice,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 278, no. 4, pp. 2184–2189, 2003.
- L M Harrison-Bernard, J Zhuo, H Kobori, M Ohishi, and L G Navar, “Intrarenal receptor and ACE binding in ANG II-induced hypertensive rats,” American Journal of Physiology. Renal Physiology, vol. 282, no. 1, pp. F19–F25, 2002.
- H Kobori, L M Harrison-Bernard, and L G Navar, “Expression of angiotensinogen mRNA and protein in angiotensin II-dependent hypertension,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 431–439, 2001.
- J L Lavoie, K D Lake-Bruse, and C D Sigmund, “Increased blood pressure in transgenic mice expressing both human renin and angiotensinogen in the renal proximal tubule,” American Journal of Physiology. Renal Physiology, vol. 286, no. 5, pp. F965–F971, 2004.
- L G Navar and L M Harrison-Bernard, “Intrarenal angiotensin II augmentation in angiotensin II dependent hypertension,” Hypertension Research, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 291–301, 2000.
- H Kobori, M C Prieto-Carrasquero, Y Ozawa, and L G Navar, “ receptor mediated augmentation of intrarenal angiotensinogen in angiotensin II-dependent hypertension,” Hypertension, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 1126–1132, 2004.