- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2006 (2006), Article ID 27601, 8 pages
Parkinson's Disease in Relation to Pesticide Exposure and Nuclear Encoded Mitochondrial Complex I Gene Variants
1Center for Demographic Studies, Duke University, 2117 Campus Drive, PO Box 90408, Durham, NC 27708-0408, USA
2Eskitis Institute for Cell and Molecular Therapies, Griffith University, Nathan, QLD 4111, Australia
Received 1 December 2005; Revised 28 March 2006; Accepted 17 April 2006
Copyright © 2006 Elizabeth H. Corder and George D. Mellick. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G D Mellick, P A Silburn, J A Prince, and A J Brookes, “A novel screen for nuclear mitochondrial gene associations with Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Neural Transmission, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 191–199, 2004.
- Y Liu and H Yang, “Environmental toxins and alpha-synuclein in Parkinson's disease,” Molecular Neurobiology, vol. 31, no. 1–3, pp. 273–282, 2005.
- S Yu, K Ueda, and P Chan, “Alpha-synuclein and dopamine metabolism,” Molecular Neurobiology, vol. 31, no. 1–3, pp. 243–254, 2005.
- J H Son, H Kawamata, M S Yoo, et al., “Neurotoxicity and behavioral deficits associated with Septin 5 accumulation in dopaminergic neurons,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 1040–1053, 2005.
- D G Le Couteur, A J McLean, M C Taylor, B L Woodham, and P G Board, “Pesticides and Parkinson's disease,” Biomedecine & Pharmacotherapy, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 122–130, 1999.
- D G Le Couteur, M Muller, M C Yang, G D Mellick, and A J McLean, “Age-environment and gene-environment interactions in the pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease,” Reviews on Environmental Health, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 51–64, 2002.
- M M Mouradian, “Recent advances in the genetics and pathogenesis of Parkinson disease,” Neurology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 179–185, 2002.
- M Meulener, A J Whitworth, C E Armstrong-Gold, et al., “Drosophila DJ-1 mutants are selectively sensitive to environmental toxins associated with Parkinson's disease,” Current Biology, vol. 15, no. 17, pp. 1572–1577, 2005.
- B Ritz and F Yu, “Parkinson's disease mortality and pesticide exposure in California 1984–1994,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 323–329, 2000.
- J A Smeitink, L W van den Heuvel, W J Koopman, L G Nijtmans, C Ugalde, and P H Willems, “Cell biological consequences of mitochondrial NADH: ubiquinone oxidoreductase deficiency,” Current Neurovascular Research, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 29–40, 2004.
- J A Smeitink, L W van den Heuvel, and S DiMauro, “The genetics and pathology of oxidative phosphorylation,” Nature Reviews. Genetics, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 342–352, 2001.
- S Sveinbjornsdottir, A A Hicks, T Jonsson, et al., “Familial aggregation of Parkinson's disease in Iceland,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, no. 24, pp. 1765–1770, 2000.
- A Solano, M Roig, C Vives-Bauza, et al., “Bilateral striatal necrosis associated with a novel mutation in the mitochondrial ND6 gene,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 527–530, 2003.
- C Vives-Bauza, A L Andreu, G Manfredi, et al., “Sequence analysis of the entire mitochondrial genome in Parkinson's disease,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 290, no. 5, pp. 1593–1601, 2002.
- N Hattori, H Yoshino, M Tanaka, H Suzuki, and Y Mizuno, “Genotype in the 24-kDa subunit gene (NDUFV2) of mitochondrial complex I and susceptibility to Parkinson disease,” Genomics, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 52–58, 1998.
- A Elbaz, C Levecque, J Clavel, et al., “CYP2D6 polymorphism, pesticide exposure, and Parkinson's disease,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 430–434, 2004.
- Y Deng, B Newman, M P Dunne, P A Silburn, and G D Mellick, “Further evidence that interactions between CYP2D6 and pesticide exposure increase risk for Parkinson's disease,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 55, no. 6, p. 897, 2004.
- E H Corder, R Huang, H M Cathcart, et al., “Membership in genetic groups predicts Alzheimer disease,” Rejuvenation Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 89–93, 2006.
- E H Corder and L A Hefler, “Multilocus genotypes spanning estrogen metabolism associated with breast cancer and fibroadenoma,” Rejuvenation Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 56–60, 2006.
- C E Gartner, D Battistutta, M P Dunne, P A Silburn, and G D Mellick, “Test-retest repeatability of self-reported environmental exposures in Parkinson's disease cases and healthy controls,” Parkinsonism & Related Disorders, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 287–295, 2005.
- W M Howell, M Jobs, U Gyllensten, and A J Brookes, “Dynamic allele-specific hybridization. A new method for scoring single nucleotide polymorphisms,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 87–88, 1999.
- J A Prince, L Feuk, W M Howell, et al., “Robust and accurate single nucleotide polymorphism genotyping by dynamic allele-specific hybridization (DASH): design criteria and assay validation,” Genome Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 152–162, 2001.
- M A Woodbury and J Clive, “Clinical pure types as a fuzzy partition,” Journal of Cybernetics, vol. 4, pp. 111–121, 1974.
- M A Woodbury, J Clive, and A Garson, “Mathematical typology: a grade of membership technique for obtaining disease definition,” Computers and Biomedical Research, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 277–298, 1978.
- M A Woodbury, K G Manton, and D H Tolley, “A general model for statistical analysis using fuzzy sets: sufficient conditions for identifiability and statistical properties,” Information Sciences, vol. 1, pp. 149–180, 1994.
- L M de Lau, P C Giesbergen, M C de Rijk, A Hofman, P J Koudstaal, and M M Breteler, “Incidence of parkinsonism and Parkinson disease in a general population: the Rotterdam Study,” Neurology, vol. 63, no. 7, pp. 1240–1244, 2004.
- K G Manton, L S Corder, and E Stallard, “Estimates of change in chronic disability and institutional incidence and prevalence rates in the U.S. elderly population from the 1982, 1984, and 1989 National Long Term Care Survey,” Journal of Gerontology, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. S153–S166, 1993.
- A Jablensky and M A Woodbury, “Dementia praecox and manic-depressive insanity in 1908: a Grade of Membership analysis of the Kraepelinian dichotomy,” European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 245, no. 4-5, pp. 202–209, 1995.
- J F Hallmayer, L Kalaydjieva, J Badcock, et al., “Genetic evidence for a distinct subtype of schizophrenia characterized by pervasive cognitive deficit,” American Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 468–476, 2005.
- E H Corder, M A Woodbury, K G Manton, and L L Field, “Grade-of-membership sibpair linkage analysis maps the IDDM11 locus to chromosome 14q24.3-q31: a pattern recognition approach to linkage,” Annals of Human Genetics, vol. 65, pp. 387–394, 2001.
- E H Corder, M A Woodbury, I Volkmann, D K Madsen, N Bogdanovic, and B Winblad, “Density profiles of Alzheimer disease regional brain pathology for the Huddinge Brain Bank: pattern recognition emulates and expands upon Braak staging,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 35, no. 6-7, pp. 851–864, 2000.
- E H Corder, J F Ervin, E Lockhart, M H Szymanski, D E Schmechel, and C M Hulette, “Cardiovascular damage in Alzheimer disease: autopsy findings from the Bryan ADRC,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2005, no. 2, pp. 189–197, 2005.
- S Iivonen, E H Corder, M Lehtovirta, et al., “Polymorphisms in the CYP19 gene confer increased risk for Alzheimer disease,” Neurology, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 1170–1176, 2004.
- S Helisalmi, M Hiltunen, S Vepsäläinen, et al., “Genetic variation in apolipoprotein D and Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 251, no. 8, pp. 951–957, 2004.