- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2006 (2006), Article ID 31372, 13 pages
Mitochondrial Oxidative Damage in Aging and Alzheimer's Disease: Implications for Mitochondrially Targeted Antioxidant Therapeutics
Neurogenetics Laboratory, Neurological Sciences Institute, Oregon Health & Science University, 505 NW 185th Avenue, Beaverton 97006, OR, USA
Received 8 December 2005; Revised 28 February 2006; Accepted 28 February 2006
Copyright © 2006 P. Hemachandra Reddy. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [55 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- V Atanasiu, B. Virgolici, M. Gilca, and I Stoian, “The oxidative hypothesis of senescence,” Journal Of Postgraduate Medicine, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 207–213, 2007.
- Feng-Shiun Shie, and Randall L. Woltjer, “Manipulation of microglial activation as a therapeutic strategy in Alzheimer's disease,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 27, pp. 2865–2871, 2007.
- Florentina Safciuc, Alina Constantin, Adrian Manea, Manuela Nicolae, Doina Popov, Monica Raicu, Dorin Alexandru, and Elena Constantinescu, “Advanced glycation end products, oxidative stress and metalloproteinases are altered in the cerebral microvasculature during aging,” Current Neurovascular Research, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 228–234, 2007.
- Russell H. Swerdlow, “Treating neurodegeneration by modifying mitochondria: Potential solutions t o a "complex" problem,” Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 1591–1603, 2007.
- P. Hemachandra Reddy, “Mitochondrial dysfunction in aging and Alzheimer's disease: Strategies to p rotect neurons,” Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 1647–1658, 2007.
- Huimei Chen, Lizhi Xu, Qiufeng Qi, Yanweng Yao, Ming Zhu, and Yang Wang, “A haplotype variation affecting the mitochondrial transportation of hMYH protein could be a risk factor for colorectal cancer in Chinese,” BMC Cancer, vol. 8, 2008.
- Armen A. Galoyan, John S. Sarkissian, Vergineh A. Chavushyan, Irina B. Meliksetyan, Zaruhi E. Avagyan, Mikhail V. Poghosyan, Hasmik G. Vahradyan, Hovhannes H. Mkrtchian, and Davit O. Abrahamyan, “Neuroprotection by hypothalamic peptide proline-rich peptide-1 in Aβ25–35 model of Alzheimer's disease,” Alzheimer's & Dementia, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 332–344, 2008.
- Seán M. Kilbride, Jayne E. Telford, and Gavin P. Davey, “Age-related changes in H2O2 production and bioenergetics in rat brain synaptosomes,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Bioenergetics, vol. 1777, no. 7-8, pp. 783–788, 2008.
- Ronald W. Irwin, Jia Yao, Ryan T. Hamilton, Enrique Cadenas, Roberta Diaz Brinton, and Jon Nilsen, “Progesterone and estrogen regulate oxidative metabolism in brain mitochondr ia,” Endocrinology, vol. 149, no. 6, pp. 3167–3175, 2008.
- P. Hemachandra Reddy, and M. Flint Beal, “Amyloid beta, mitochondrial dysfunction and synaptic damage: implications for cognitive decline in aging and Alzheimer's disease,” Trends in Molecular Medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 45–53, 2008.
- P. Hemachandra Reddy, “Mitochondrial medicine for aging and neurodegenerative diseases,” NeuroMolecular Medicine, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 291–315, 2008.
- Marwan Maalouf, and Jong M. Rho, “Oxidative Impairment of Hippocampal Long-term Potentiation Involves Activat ion of Protein Phosphatase 2A and Is Prevented by Ketone Bodies,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 86, no. 15, pp. 3322–3330, 2008.
- Ana Navarro, and Alberto Boveris, “Mitochondrial nitric oxide synthase, mitochondrial brain dysfunction in agi ng, and mitochondria-targeted antioxidants,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 60, no. 13-14, pp. 1534–1544, 2008.
- Lydie Plecitá-Hlavatá, Jan Ježek, and Petr Ježek, “Pro-oxidant mitochondrial matrix-targeted ubiquinone MitoQ10 acts as anti-oxidant at retarded electron transport or proton pumping within Complex I,” The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, vol. 41, no. 8-9, pp. 1697–1707, 2009.
- Gjumrakch Aliev, Hector H. Palacios, Amanda E. Lipsitt, Kathryn Fischbach, Bruce T. Lamb, Mark E. Obrenovich, Ludis Morales, Eldar Gasimov, and Valentin Bragin, “Nitric Oxide as an Initiator of Brain Lesions During the Development of Alzheimer Disease,” Neurotoxicity Research, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 293–305, 2009.
- Marwan Maalouf, Jong M. Rho, and Mark P. Mattson, “The neuroprotective properties of calorie restriction, the ketogenic diet, and ketone bodies,” Brain Research Reviews, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 293–315, 2009.
- Rebecca M. Lucente-Schultz, Valerie C. Moore, Ashley D. Leonard, B. Katherine Price, Dmitry V. Kosynkin, Meng Lu, Ranga Partha, Jodie L. Conyers, and James M. Tour, “Antioxidant Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 131, no. 11, pp. 3934–3941, 2009.
- T.A. Ajith, N.P. Sudheesh, D. Roshny, G. Abishek, and K.K. Janardhanan, “Effect of Ganoderma lucidum on the activities of mitochondrial dehydrogenases and complex I and II of electron transport chain in the brain of aged rats,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 219–223, 2009.
- Paula I. Moreira, Sandra M. Cardoso, Cláudia M. Pereira, Maria S. Santos, and Catarina R. Oliveira, “Mitochondria as a therapeutic target in Alzheimer's disease and diabetes,” CNS and Neurological Disorders - Drug Targets, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 492–511, 2009.
- Russell H. Swerdlow, “Mitochondrial medicine and the neurodegenerative mitochondriopathies,” Pharmaceuticals, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 150–167, 2009.
- Gjumrakch Aliev, Hector H. Palacios, Brianna Walrafen, Amanda E. Lipsitt, Mark E. Obrenovich, and Ludis Morales, “Brain mitochondria as a primary target in the development of treatment stra tegies for Alzheimer disease,” International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1989–2004, 2009.
- Ana Navarro, and Alberto Boveris, “Brain mitochondrial dysfunction in aging, neurodegeneration, and Parkinson' s disease,” Frontiers In Aging Neuroscience, vol. 2, 2010.
- Hyun Pil Lee, Xiongwei Zhu, Gemma Casadesus, Rudy J Castellani, Akihiko Nunomura, Mark A Smith, Hyoung-gon Lee, and George Perry, “Antioxidant approaches for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease,” Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1201–1208, 2010.
- María F. Galindo, Ichiro Ikuta, Xiongwei Zhu, Gemma Casadesus, and Joaquín Jordán, “Mitochondrial biology in Alzheimer’s disease pathogenesis,” Journal of Neurochemistry, pp. no–no, 2010.
- Altaf S Darvesh, Richard T Carroll, Anupam Bishayee, Werner J Geldenhuys, and Cornelis J Van der Schyf, “Oxidative stress and Alzheimer’s disease: dietary polyphenols as potential therapeutic agents,” Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 729–745, 2010.
- Pandurang R. Wattamwar, and Mathuranath, “An overview of biomarkers in Alzheimer's disease,” Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. S116–S123, 2010.
- Sharath Subramanian, Balaraman Kalyanaraman, and Raymond Q. Migrino, “Mitochondrially targeted antioxidants for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases,” Recent Patents on Cardiovascular Drug Discovery, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 54–65, 2010.
- Yury G. Kaminsky, Michael W. Marlatt, Mark A. Smith, and Elena A. Kosenko, “Subcellular and metabolic examination of amyloid-β peptides in Alzheimer disease pathogenesis: Evidence for Aβ25–35,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 221, no. 1, pp. 26–37, 2010.
- Peizhong Mao, and P. Hemachandra Reddy, “Is multiple sclerosis a mitochondrial disease?,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease, vol. 1802, no. 1, pp. 66–79, 2010.
- Isaac G. Onyango, Jianghua Lu, Mariana Rodova, E. Lezi, Adam B. Crafter, and Russell H. Swerdlow, “Regulation of neuron mitochondrial biogenesis and relevance to brain health,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease, vol. 1802, no. 1, pp. 228–234, 2010.
- Paula I. Moreira, Xiongwei Zhu, Xinglong Wang, Hyoung-gon Lee, Akihiko Nunomura, Robert B. Petersen, George Perry, and Mark A. Smith, “Mitochondria: A therapeutic target in neurodegeneration,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease, vol. 1802, no. 1, pp. 212–220, 2010.
- David J. Bonda, Xinglong Wang, George Perry, Mark A. Smith, and Xiongwei Zhu, “Mitochondrial dynamics in alzheimers disease: Opportunities for future treatment strategies,” Drugs and Aging, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 181–192, 2010.
- Giuseppina Amadoro, Veronica Corsetti, Annarita Stringaro, Marisa Colone, Simona D'Aguanno, Giovanni Meli, MariaTeresa Ciotti, Giuseppe Sancesario, Antonino Cattaneo, Rossana Bussani, Delio Mercanti, and Pietro Calissano, “A NH2 Tau Fragment Targets Neuronal Mitochondria at AD Synapses: Possible I mplications for Neurodegeneration,” Journal of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 445–470, 2010.
- P. Hemachandra Reddy, Maria Manczak, Peizhong Mao, Marcus J. Calkins, Arubala P. Reddy, and Ulziibat Shirendeb, “Amyloid-beta and Mitochondria in Aging and Alzheimer's Disease: Implication s for Synaptic Damage and Cognitive Decline,” Journal of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 20, pp. S499–S512, 2010.
- Marcus J. Calkins, and P. Hemachandra Reddy, “Assessment of newly synthesized mitochondrial DNA using BrdU labeling in pr imary neurons from Alzheimer's disease mice: Implications for impaired mito chondrial biogenesis and synaptic damage,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta-Molecular Basis of Disease, vol. 1812, no. 9, pp. 1182–1189, 2011.
- Jia Yao, Jamaica R. Rettberg, Lauren P. Klosinski, Enrique Cadenas, and Roberta Diaz Brinton, “Shift in brain metabolism in late onset Alzheimer's disease: Implications f or biomarkers and therapeutic interventions,” Molecular Aspects of Medicine, vol. 32, no. 4-6, pp. 247–257, 2011.
- P. Hemachandra Reddy, Tejaswini P. Reddy, Maria Manczak, Marcus J. Calkins, Ulziibat Shirendeb, and Peizhong Mao, “Dynamin-related protein 1 and mitochondrial fragmentation in neurodegenerat ive diseases,” Brain Research Reviews, vol. 67, no. 1-2, pp. 103–118, 2011.
- Jan Suski, Magdalena Lebiedzinska, Nuno G. Machado, Paulo J. Oliveira, Paolo Pinton, Jerzy Duszynski, and Mariusz R. Wieckowski, “Mitochondrial tolerance to drugs and toxic agents in ageing and disease,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 827–849, 2011.
- Peizhong Mao, and P. Hemachandra Reddy, “Aging and amyloid beta-induced oxidative DNA damage and mitochondrial dysfunction in Alzheimer's disease: Implications for early intervention and therapeutics,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease, vol. 1812, no. 11, pp. 1359–1370, 2011.
- Paula I. Moreira, and Catarina R. Oliveira, “Mitochondria as potential targets in antidiabetic therapy,” Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology, vol. 203, pp. 331–356, 2011.
- Jia Yao, and Roberta Diaz Brinton, “Targeting mitochondrial bioenergetics for alzheimer's prevention and treatment,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 17, no. 31, pp. 3474–3479, 2011.
- Russell H. Swerdlow, “Role and treatment of mitochondrial dna-related mitochondrial dysfunction in sporadic neurodegenerative diseases,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 17, no. 31, pp. 3356–3373, 2011.
- Hemachandra Reddy, “Mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress in asthma: Implications for mitochondria-targeted antioxidant therapeutics,” Pharmaceuticals, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 429–456, 2011.
- P. Hemachandra Reddy, Raghav Tripathi, Quang Troung, Karuna Tirumala, Tejaswini P. Reddy, Vishwanath Anekonda, Ulziibat P. Shirendeb, Marcus J. Calkins, Arubala P. Reddy, Peizhong Mao, and Maria Manczak, “Abnormal mitochondrial dynamics and synaptic degeneration as early events in Alzheimer's disease: Implications to mitochondria-targeted antioxidant therapeutics,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease, vol. 1822, no. 5, pp. 639–649, 2012.
- A. Boscolo, J.A. Starr, V. Sanchez, N. Lunardi, M.R. DiGruccio, C. Ori, A. Erisir, P. Trimmer, J. Bennett, and V. Jevtovic-Todorovic, “The abolishment of anesthesia-induced cognitive impairment by timely protection of mitochondria in the developing rat brain: The importance of free oxygen radicals and mitochondrial integrity,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 1031–1041, 2012.
- Christoffer Mårtensson, and Víctor Agmo Hernández, “Ubiquinone-10 in gold-immobilized lipid membrane structures acts as a sensor for acetylcholine and other tetraalkylammonium cations,” Bioelectrochemistry, vol. 88, pp. 171–180, 2012.
- Marcus J. Calkins, Maria Manczak, and P. Hemachandra Reddy, “Mitochondria-targeted antioxidant SS31 prevents Amyloid beta-induced mitochondrial abnormalities and synaptic degeneration in Alzheimer's disease,” Pharmaceuticals, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 1103–1119, 2012.
- Vesna Jevtovic-Todorovic, A. Boscolo, V. Sanchez, and N. Lunardi, “Anesthesia-induced developmental neurodegeneration: The role of neuronal organelles,” Frontiers in Neurology, vol. OCT, 2012.
- Peizhong Mao, Maria Manczak, Ulziibat P. Shirendeb, and P. Hemachandra Reddy, “MitoQ, a mitochondria-targeted antioxidant, delays disease progression and alleviates pathogenesis in an experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis mouse model of multiple sclerosis,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease, 2013.
- Jamaica R. Rettberg, Jia Yao, and Roberta Diaz Brinton, “Estrogen: A master regulator of bioenergetic systems in the brain and body,” Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology, 2013.
- Clare L. Hawkins, and Michael J. Davies, “Detection and characterisation of radicals in biological materials using EPR methodology,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - General Subjects, 2013.
- Mohamad Warda, Hyoung Kyu Kim, Nari Kim, Kyung Soo Ko, Byoung Doo Rhee, and Jin Han, “A matter of life, death and diseases: mitochondria from a proteomic perspective,” Expert Review of Proteomics, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 97–111, 2013.
- Li Li, Ji-kun Du, Li-yi Zou, Tie Wu, Yong-woo Lee, and Yong-ho Kim, “Decursin Isolated from Angelica gigas Nakai Rescues PC12 Cells from Amyloid -Protein-Induced Neurotoxicity through Nrf2-Mediated Upregulation of Heme Oxygenase-1: Potential Roles of MAPK,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2013, pp. 1–14, 2013.
- Chunyan Guo, Xueping Chen, and Li Sun, “Oxidative stress, mitochondrial damage and neurodegenerative diseases,” Neural Regeneration Research, vol. 8, no. 21, pp. 2003–2014, 2013.
- Wolfgang Froestl, Andrea Pfeifer, and Andreas Muhs, “Cognitive Enhancers (Nootropics). Part 3: Drugs Interacting with Targets ot her than Receptors or Enzymes. Disease-modifying Drugs,” Journal of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 1–114, 2013.