- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2006 (2006), Article ID 31825, 11 pages
Dysregulation of Protein Phosphorylation/Dephosphorylation in Alzheimer's Disease: A Therapeutic Target
Department of Neurochemistry, New York State Institute for Basic Research in Developmental Disabilities, 1050 Forest Hill Road, Staten Island, NY 10314-6399, USA
Received 8 November 2005; Revised 12 December 2005; Accepted 3 January 2006
Copyright © 2006 Cheng-Xin Gong et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [40 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Fei Liu, Zhihou Liang, Jianhua Shi, Dongmei Yin, Ezzat El-Akkad, Inge Grundke-Iqbal, Khalid Iqbal, and Cheng-Xin Gong, “PKA modulates GSK-3β- and cdk5-catalyzed phosphorylation of tau in site- and kinase-specific manners,” FEBS Letters, vol. 580, no. 26, pp. 6269–6274, 2006.
- Fei Liu, Bin Li, E-Jan Tung, Inge Grundke-Iqbal, Khalid Iqbal, and Cheng-Xin Gong, “Site-specific effects of tau phosphorylation on its microtubule assembly activity and self-aggregation,” European Journal Of Neuroscience, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 3429–3436, 2007.
- Jiang Fang, Rong Liu, Qing Tian, Xiao-ping Hong, Shao-hui Wang, Fu-yuan Cao, Xi-ping Pan, and Jian-zhi Wang, “Dehydroevodiamine attenuates calyculin A-induced tau hyperphos-phorylation in rat brain slices,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1717–1723, 2007.
- Fei Liu, Zhihou Liang, Jerzy Wegiel, Yu-Wen Hwang, Khalid Iqbal, Inge Grundke-Iqbal, Narayan Ramakrishna, and Cheng-Xin Gong, “Overexpression of Dyrk1A contributes to neurofibrillary degeneration in Down syndrome,” Faseb Journal, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 3224–3233, 2008.
- Carla L. Busceti, Francesca Biagioni, Barbara Riozzi, Giuseppe Battaglia, Marianna Storto, Carlo Cinque, Gemma Molinaro, Roberto Gradini, Andrea Caricasole, Anna Maria Canudas, Valeria Bruno, Ferdinando Nicoletti, and Francesco Fornai, “Enhanced tau phosphorylation in the hippocampus of mice treated with 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine ("Ecstasy"),” Journal Of Neuroscience, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 3234–3245, 2008.
- Amy Y. Chan, Ayat Alsaraby, and Thomas B. Shea, “Folate deprivation increases tau phosphorylation by homocysteine-induced calcium influx and by inhibition of phosphatase activity: Alleviation by S-adenosyl methionine,” Brain Research, vol. 1199, pp. 133–137, 2008.
- Bo Su, Xinglong Wang, Kelly L. Drew, George Perry, Mark A. Smith, and Xiongwei Zhu, “Physiological regulation of tau phosphorylation during hibernation,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 105, no. 6, pp. 2098–2108, 2008.
- Sul-Hee Chung, “Aberrant phosphorylation in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease,” Bmb Reports, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 467–474, 2009.
- Jy Yang Jiang-Yong, Jl Gu Jian-Lan, Jh Shi Jian-Hua, F Liu Fei, and Q Shen Qin, “The Inhibitory Effect of OGT Gene Expression on The Level of tau Phosphorylation,” Progress In Biochemistry And Biophysics, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 346–352, 2009.
- Yang Yu, Xiaoqin Run, Zhihou Liang, Yi Li, Fei Liu, Ying Liu, Khalid Iqbal, Inge Grundke-Iqbal, and Cheng-Xin Gong, “Developmental regulation of tau phosphorylation, tau kinases, and tau phosphatases,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 108, no. 6, pp. 1480–1494, 2009.
- M. A. Khan, K. Dixit, S. Jabeen, Moinuddin, and K. Alam, “Impact of Peroxynitrite Modification on Structure and Immunogenicity of H2A Histone,” Scandinavian Journal of Immunology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 99–109, 2009.
- Yanqiu Deng, Bin Li, Ying Liu, Khalid Iqbal, Inge Grundke-Iqbal, and Cheng-Xin Gong, “Dysregulation of Insulin Signaling, Glucose Transporters, O-GlcNAcylation, and Phosphorylation of Tau and Neurofilaments in the Brain,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 175, no. 5, pp. 2089–2098, 2009.
- Magdalena Kuszczyk, Wanda Gordon-Krajcer, and Jerzy W. Lazarewicz, “Homocysteine-induced acute excitotoxicity in cerebellar granule cells in vitro is accompanied by PP2A-mediated dephosphorylation of tau,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 55, no. 1-3, pp. 174–180, 2009.
- Ying-Ying Zhu, Dao-Feng Ni, and Cai-Min Xu, “Gene Expression Profiles in the Olfactory Bulb from a Rat Model of Alzheimer's Disease,” Journal Of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 581–593, 2009.
- Matthew J. Chiocco, Xuguang Zhu, Donna Walther, Olga Pletnikova, Juan C. Troncoso, George R. Uhl, and Qing-Rong Liu, “Fine Mapping of Calcineurin (PPP3CA) Gene Reveals Novel Alternative Splicing Patterns, Association of 5 ' UTR Trinucleotide Repeat With Addiction Vulnerability, and Differential Isoform Expression in Alzheimer's Disease,” Substance Use & Misuse, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 1809–1826, 2010.
- Khalid Iqbal, and Inge Grundke-Iqbal, “Alzheimer's disease, a multifactorial disorder seeking multitherapies,” Alzheimers & Dementia, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 420–424, 2010.
- Khalid Iqbal, and Inge Grundke-Iqbal, “Alzheimer's disease, a multifactorial disorder seeking multitherapies,” Alzheimer's & Dementia, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 420–424, 2010.
- Zhang Zhang, and James W. Simpkins, “Okadaic acid induces tau phosphorylation in SH-SY5Y cells in an estrogen-preventable manner,” Brain Research, vol. 1345, pp. 176–181, 2010.
- Bo Su, Xinglong Wang, David Bonda, Gorge Perry, Mark Smith, and Xiongwei Zhu, “Abnormal Mitochondrial Dynamics-A Novel Therapeutic Target for Alzheimer's Disease?,” Molecular Neurobiology, vol. 41, no. 2-3, pp. 87–96, 2010.
- Malgorzata Broncel, Jessica A. Falenski, Sara C. Wagner, Christian P. R. Hackenberger, and Beate Koksch, “How Post-Translational Modifications Influence Amyloid Formation: A Systematic Study of Phosphorylation and Glycosylation in Model Peptides,” Chemistry - A European Journal, vol. 16, no. 26, pp. 7881–7888, 2010.
- Jian-Jung Pan, Boris A. Kashemirov, Joanne Lee, Charles E. McKenna, Frank J. Devlin, and Philip J. Stephens, “Electronic circular dichroism of monomethyl [16O,17O,18O]-phosphate and [16O,17O,18O]-thiophosphate revisited,” Bioorganic Chemistry, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 7–16, 2010.
- Scott A. Smith, Christine L. Kalcic, Kyle A. Safran, Paul M. Stemmer, Marcos Dantus, and Gavin E. Reid, “Enhanced Characterization of Singly Protonated Phosphopeptide Ions by Femtosecond Laser-induced Ionization/Dissociation Tandem Mass Spectrometry (fs-LID-MS/MS),” Journal Of The American Society For Mass Spectrometry, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 2031–2040, 2010.
- Zhang Zhang, and James W. Simpkins, “An okadaic acid-induced model of tauopathy and cognitive deficiency,” Brain Research, vol. 1359, pp. 233–246, 2010.
- Julie Allyson, Eve Dontigny, Yves Auberson, Michel Cyr, and Guy Massicotte, “Blockade of NR2A-Containing NMDA Receptors Induces Tau Phosphorylation in Rat Hippocampal Slices,” Neural Plasticity, vol. 2010, pp. 1–10, 2010.
- Fabio Di Domenico, Rukhsana Sultana, Eugenio Barone, Marzia Perluigi, Chiara Cini, Cesare Mancuso, Jian Cai, William M. Pierce, and D. Allan Butterfield, “Quantitative proteomics analysis of phosphorylated proteins in the hippocampus of Alzheimer's disease subjects,” Journal of Proteomics, vol. 74, no. 7, pp. 1091–1103, 2011.
- Erkan Kiris, Donovan Ventimiglia, Mehmet E. Sargin, Michelle R. Gaylord, Alphan Altinok, Kenneth Rose, B. S. Manjunath, Mary Ann Jordan, Leslie Wilson, and Stuart C. Feinstein, “Combinatorial Tau Pseudophosphorylation MARKEDLY DIFFERENT REGULATORY EFFECTS ON MICROTUBULE ASSEMBLY AND DYNAMIC INSTABILITY THAN THE SUM OF THE INDIVIDUAL PARTS,” Journal Of Biological Chemistry, vol. 286, no. 16, pp. 14257–14270, 2011.
- Amanda M. Palumbo, Scott A. Smith, Christine L. Kalcic, Marcos Dantus, Paul M. Stemmer, and Gavin E. Reid, “Tandem mass spectrometry strategies for phosphoproteome analysis,” Mass Spectrometry Reviews, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 600–625, 2011.
- Saadia Zahid, Michael Oellerich, Abdul R Asif, and Nikhat Ahmed, “Phosphoproteome profiling of substantia nigra and cortex regions of Alzheimer’s disease patients,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 121, no. 6, pp. 954–963, 2012.
- Tiago Silva, José Teixeira, Fernando Remião, and Fernanda Borges, “Alzheimersche Demenz, Cholesterin und Statine: Berührungspunkte wichtiger Stoffwechselwege,” Angewandte Chemie, vol. 125, no. 4, pp. 1146–1158, 2012.
- Tiago Silva, José Teixeira, Fernando Remião, and Fernanda Borges, “Alzheimer’s Disease, Cholesterol, and Statins: The Junctions of Important Metabolic Pathways,” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 1110–1121, 2012.
- Malgorzata Broncel, Eberhard Krause, Dirk Schwarzer, and Christian P. R. Hackenberger, “The Alzheimer’s Disease Related Tau Protein as a New Target for Chemical Protein Engineering,” Chemistry - A European Journal, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 2488–2492, 2012.
- Sanela Martic, Samaneh Beheshti, Meghan K. Rains, and Heinz-Bernhard Kraatz, “Electrochemical investigations into Tau protein phosphorylations,” The Analyst, vol. 137, no. 9, pp. 2042, 2012.
- Akio Yamazaki, Yuji Nishizawa, Isao Matsuura, Fumio Hayashi, Jiro Usukura, and Vladimir A. Bondarenko, “Microtubule-associated protein tau in bovine retinal photoreceptor rod outer segments: Comparison with brain tau,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease, 2013.
- Rex Munday, “Is protein phosphatase inhibition responsible for the toxic effects of Okadaic acid in animals?,” Toxins, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 267–285, 2013.
- Mariane C. Bagatin, Augusto A. Candido, Glaucia M. S. Pinheiro, Nelci F. Hoeehr, Miguel Machinski, Simone A. G. Mossini, Ernani A. Basso, and Gisele F. Gauze, “Molecular Modeling and Anticholinesterasic Activity of Novel 2-Arylaminocyclohexyl N,N-Dimethylcarbamates,” Journal of The Brazilian Chemical Society, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 1798–1807, 2013.
- Neha, Rupinder K. Sodhi, Amteshwar S. Jaggi, and Nirmal Singh, “Animal models of dementia and cognitive dysfunction,” Life Sciences, 2014.
- Ran Yi, Benwei Chen, Jing Zhao, Xiaorong Zhan, Liming Zhang, Xiaomin Liu, and Qi Dong, “Kruppel-like Factor 8 Ameliorates Alzheimer's Disease by Activating beta-Catenin,” Journal of Molecular Neuroscience, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 231–241, 2014.
- Jinfeng Zhao, Dan Wang, Lingmin Li, Wenhui Zhao, and Ce Zhang, “Protective Effects of Humanin on Okadaic Acid-Induced Neurotoxicities in Cultured Cortical Neurons,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 2150–2159, 2014.
- R. Li, D.-E. Xu, and T. Ma, “Lovastatin suppresses the aberrant tau phosphorylation from FTDP-17 mutation and okadaic acid-induction in rat primary neurons,” Neuroscience, 2015.
- Filipa Martins, Sandra Rebelo, Mariana Santos, Cândida Zita Cotrim, Edgar F. da Cruz e Silva, and Odete A.B. da Cruz e Silva, “BRI2 and BRI3 are functionally distinct phosphoproteins,” Cellular Signalling, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 130–144, 2016.