- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2006 (2006), Article ID 35936, 11 pages
The Creatine Kinase/Creatine Connection to Alzheimer's Disease: CK Inactivation, APP-CK Complexes and Focal Creatine Deposits
1Institute of Cell Biology, ETH Zurich,
Hönggerberg HPM, Zurich CH-8093, Switzerland
2INSERM E0221, Laboratory of Fundamental and Applied Bioenergetics, University Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France
3Department of Neurology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
4Department of Chemistry, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N2
Received 12 December 2005; Revised 28 February 2006; Accepted 28 February 2006
Copyright © 2006 Tanja S. Bürklen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [42 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- John T. Brosnan, and Margaret E. Brosnan, “Creatine: Endogenous Metabolite, Dietary, and Therapeutic Supplement,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 241–261, 2007.
- Robert H. Andres, Angélique D. Ducray, Uwe Schlattner, Theo Wallimann, and Hans Rudolf Widmer, “Functions and effects of creatine in the central nervous system,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 329–343, 2008.
- Murali Jayaraman, Gomathi Kannayiram, and Jayakumar Rajadas, “Amyloid toxicity in skeletal myoblasts: Implications for inclusion-body myositis,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 474, no. 1, pp. 15–21, 2008.
- Shan Feng, Zhen Xu, and Yong-Bin Yan, “Blocking creatine kinase refolding by trace amounts of copper ions,” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 928–935, 2008.
- Jacqueline Vazquez, Steven C. Hall, H. Ewa Witkowska, and Mary Ann Greco, “Rapid Alterations in Cortical Protein Profiles Underlie Spontaneous Sleep and Wake Bouts,” Journal Of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 105, no. 6, pp. 1472–1484, 2008.
- Peter J. Adhihetty, and M. Flint Beal, “Creatine and Its Potential Therapeutic Value for Targeting Cellular Energy Impairment in Neurodegenerative Diseases,” Neuromolecular Medicine, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 275–290, 2008.
- Bruno Gualano, Carlos Ugrinowitsch, Antonio Carlos Seguro, and Antonio Herbert Lancha Jr., “Does creatine supplementation harm renal function?,” Revista Brasileira de Medicina do Esporte, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 68–73, 2008.
- Lichuan Yang, Noel Y. Calingasan, Elizabeth J. Wille, Kerry Cormier, Karen Smith, Robert J. Ferrante, and M. Flint Beal, “ Combination therapy with Coenzyme Q 10 and creatine produces additive neuroprotective effects in models of Parkinson’s and Huntington’s Diseases ,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 1427–1439, 2009.
- Yafeng Zhang, Hai Li, Xiaoming Wang, Xiang Gao, and Xiaolong Liu, “Regulation of T cell development and activation by creatine kinase B,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 4, 2009.
- Nadirah Ghenimi Rahab, Marie-Christine Beauvieux, Marc Biran, Veronique Pallet, Paul Higueret, and Jean-Louis Gallis, “Vitamin A Deficiency in Rats Induces Anatomic and Metabolic Changes Comparable with Those of Neurodegenerative Disorders,” Journal Of Nutrition, vol. 139, no. 4, pp. 696–702, 2009.
- Ilenia Bazzucchi, Francesco Felici, and Massimo Sacchetti, “Effect of Short-Term Creatine Supplementation on Neuromuscular Function,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1934–1941, 2009.
- Maurizio Balestrino, Carlo Gandolfo, and Luisa Perasso, “Controlling the flow of energy: Inhibition and stimulation of the creatine transporter,” Current Enzyme Inhibition, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 223–233, 2009.
- Stephen T. Hammett, Matthew B. Wall, Thomas C. Edwards, and Andrew T. Smith, “Dietary supplementation of creatine monohydrate reduces the human fMRI BOLD signal,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 479, no. 3, pp. 201–205, 2010.
- Seung-Ah Park, Hye Won Park, Nam-Hee Kim, Yoon-Ha Kim, Min-Jeong Kwak, Jun-Seop Shin, and Chan-Wha Kim, “Effects of Tau on the activity of triose phosphate isomerase (TPI) in brain cells,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 886–892, 2010.
- Valdur Saks, Rita Guzun, Natalja Timohhina, Kersti Tepp, Minna Varikmaa, Claire Monge, Nathalie Beraud, Tuuli Kaambre, Andrey Kuznetsov, Lumme Kadaja, Margus Eimre, and Enn Seppet, “Structure–function relationships in feedback regulation of energy fluxes in vivo in health and disease: Mitochondrial Interactosome,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Bioenergetics, vol. 1797, no. 6-7, pp. 678–697, 2010.
- Elmar Kaiser, Peter Schoenknecht, Stefan Kassner, Wulf Hildebrandt, Ralf Kinscherf, and Johannes Schroeder, “Cerebrospinal fluid concentrations of functionally important amino acids and metabolic compounds in patients with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease,” Neurodegenerative Diseases, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 251–259, 2010.
- Elidie Beard, and Olivier Braissant, “Synthesis and transport of creatine in the CNS: importance for cerebral functions,” Journal Of Neurochemistry, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 297–313, 2010.
- I. Shevchuk, A. V. Kuznetsov, R. Guzun, T. Kaambre, M. Gonzalez-Granillo, V. Chekulayev, K. Tepp, V. A. Saks, and N. Timohhina, “Systems bioenergetics of creatine kinase networks: physiological roles of creatine and phosphocreatine in regulation of cardiac cell function,” Amino Acids, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 1333–1348, 2011.
- Zhang, Hennessey, Yang, Starkova, Beal, and Starkov, “Impaired brain creatine kinase activity in Huntington's disease,” Neurodegenerative Diseases, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 194–201, 2011.
- Nersesova, “Role of creatine kinase and its substrates in the central nervous system in norm and in various pathologies,” Journal of Evolutionary Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 140–150, 2011.
- Jie Cui, Mei Yu, Jingwen Niu, Zhenyu Yue, and Zhiheng Xu, “Expression of leucine-rich repeat kinase 2 (LRRK2) inhibits the processing of uMtCK to induce cell death in a cell culture model system,” Bioscience Reports, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 429–437, 2011.
- J. Dulinska, Z. Setkowicz, K. Janeczko, C. Sandt, P. Dumas, L. Uram, K. Gzielo-Jurek, and J. Chwiej, “Synchrotron radiation Fourier-transform infrared and Raman microspectroscopy study showing an increased frequency of creatine inclusions in the rat hippocampal formation following pilocarpine-induced seizures,” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, vol. 402, no. 7, pp. 2267–2274, 2011.
- Wei-Jiang Hu, Sheng-Mei Zhou, Joshua SungWoo Yang, and Fan-Guo Meng, “Computational Simulations to Predict Creatine Kinase-Associated Factors: Protein-Protein Interaction Studies of Brain and Muscle Types of Creatine Kinases,” Enzyme Research, vol. 2011, pp. 1–12, 2011.
- Leonardo Magno Rambo, Michele Rechia Fighera, Luiz Fernando Freire Royes, Leandro Rodrigo Ribeiro, Vanessa Grigoletto Schramm, Andriely Moreira Berch, Daniel Neis Stamm, Iuri Domingues Della-Pace, Luiz Fernando Almeida Silva, Ana Flávia Furian, and Mauro Schneider Oliveira, “Creatine increases hippocampal Na+,K+-ATPase activity via NMDA-calcineurin pathway,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 88, no. 6, pp. 553–559, 2012.
- Zhe Chen, Xiang-Jun Chen, Mengdie Xia, Hua-Wei He, Sha Wang, Huihui Liu, Haipeng Gong, and Yong-Bin Yan, “Chaperone-Like Effect of the Linker on the Isolated C-Terminal Domain of Rabbit Muscle Creatine Kinase,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 558–566, 2012.
- Yuko Kurosawa, Ton J. DeGrauw, Diana M. Lindquist, Victor M. Blanco, Gail J. Pyne-Geithman, Takiko Daikoku, James B. Chambers, Stephen C. Benoit, and Joseph F. Clark, “Cyclocreatine treatment improves cognition in mice with creatine transporter deficiency,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 122, no. 8, pp. 2837–2846, 2012.
- Patricia J. Allen, “Creatine metabolism and psychiatric disorders: Does creatine supplementation have therapeutic value?,” Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 1442–1462, 2012.
- Emmanuelle Sarzi, Claire Angebault, Marie Seveno, Naig Gueguen, Benjamin Chaix, Guy Bielicki, Nathalie Boddaert, Anne-Laure Mausset-Bonnefont, Chantal Cazevieille, Valerie Rigau, Jean-Pierre Renou, Jing Wang, Cecile Delettre, Philippe Brabet, Jean-Luc Puel, Christian P. Hamel, Pascal Reynier, and Guy Lenaers, “The human OPA1(delTTAG) mutation induces premature age-related systemic neurodegeneration in mouse,” Brain, vol. 135, pp. 3599–3613, 2012.
- Mark J. Hackett, Joonsup Lee, Fatima El-Assaad, James A. McQuillan, Elizabeth A. Carter, Georges E. Grau, Nicholas H. Hunt, and Peter A. Lay, “FTIR Imaging of Brain Tissue Reveals Crystalline Creatine Deposits Are an ex Vivo Marker of Localized Ischemia during Murine Cerebral Malaria: General Implications for Disease Neurochemistry,” ACS Chemical Neuroscience, vol. 3, no. 12, pp. 1017–1024, 2012.
- Jianyu Feng, Hong Guo, Sen Li, and Tun Lu, “A Study of the Mechanism of the Chaperone-like Function of an scFv of Human Creatine Kinase by Computer Simulation,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 4, 2013.
- Ilse S. Pienaar, and Patrick F. Chinnery, “Existing and emerging mitochondrial-targeting therapies for altering Parkinson's disease severity and progression,” Pharmacology & Therapeutics, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 1–21, 2013.
- Aleksandra Dimitrijevic, Zhenxia Qin, and Dana W. Aswad, “Isoaspartyl Formation in Creatine Kinase B Is Associated with Loss of Enzymatic Activity; Implications for the Linkage of Isoaspartate Accumulation and Neurological Dysfunction in the PIMT Knockout Mouse,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 6, 2014.
- Andrea Galisova, Ladislav Baciak, Maria Jozefovicova, Ivica Just Kukurova, Anton Kebis, Katarina Ambrusova, Michal Dubovicky, Csaszarova Estera, Irina Sadlonova, Claudia Kronnerwetter, Andreas Berg, Martin Krssak, and Svatava Kasparova, “Pathophysiological rat model of vascular dementia: Magnetic resonance spectroscopy, microimaging and behavioral study,” Brain Research, vol. 1568, pp. 10–20, 2014.
- Angelique Camilleri, and Neville Vassallo, “The Centrality of Mitochondria in the Pathogenesis and Treatment of Parkinson's Disease,” CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics, 2014.
- Saadia Zahid, Michael Oellerich, Abdul R. Asif, and Nikhat Ahmed, “Differential Expression of Proteins in Brain Regions of Alzheimer's Disease Patients,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 208–215, 2014.
- Diana Luque-Contreras, Karla Carvajal, Danira Toral-Rios, Diana Franco-Bocanegra, and Victoria Campos-Peña, “Oxidative Stress and Metabolic Syndrome: Cause or Consequence of Alzheimer's Disease?,” Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, vol. 2014, pp. 1–11, 2014.
- A. D. Rakhmetov, “Analysis of creatine kinase activity with evaluation of protein expression under the effect of heat and hydrogen peroxide,” The Ukrainian Biochemical Journal, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 75–82, 2015.
- Nathieli B. Bottari, Matheus D. Baldissera, Alexandre A. Tonin, Virginia C. Rech, Vivian S. K. Nishihira, Gustavo R. Thome, Maria Rosa C. Schetinger, Vera M. Morsch, GioVana Camillo, Fernanda F. Vogel, Camila Tochetto, Rafael Fighera, Gustavo Machado, Lenita M. Stefani, and Aleksandro S. Da Silva, “Sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim associated with resveratrol for the treatment of toxoplasmosis in mice: Influence on the activity of enzymes involved in,” Microbial Pathogenesis, vol. 79, pp. 17–23, 2015.
- A. G. Sandoval-Hernández, H. G. Hernández, A. Restrepo, J. I. Muñoz, G. F. Bayon, A. F. Fernández, M. F. Fraga, G. P. Cardona-Gómez, H. Arboleda, and Gonzalo H. Arboleda, “Liver X Receptor Agonist Modifies the DNA Methylation Profile of Synapse and Neurogenesis-Related Genes in the Triple Transgenic Mouse Model of Alzheimer’s Disease,” Journal of Molecular Neuroscience, 2015.
- Joanna Chwiej, Agnieszka Skoczen, Krzysztof Janeczko, Justyna Kutorasinska, Katarzyna Matusiak, Henryk Figiel, Paul Dumas, Christophe Sandt, and Zuzanna Setkowicz, “The biochemical changes in hippocampal formation occurring in normal and seizure experiencing rats as a result of a ketogenic diet,” The Analyst, vol. 140, no. 7, pp. 2190–2204, 2015.
- Ali T. Khan, Richard J. B. Dobson, Martina Sattlecker, and Steven J. Kiddle, “Alzheimer's disease: are blood and brain markers related? A systematic review,” Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology, 2016.
- Marie-Christine Pardon, Maria Yanez Lopez, Ding Yuchun, Małgorzata Marjańska, Malcolm Prior, Christopher Brignell, Samira Parhizkar, Alessandra Agostini, Li Bai, Dorothee P. Auer, and Henryk M Faas, “Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy discriminates the response to microglial stimulation of wild type and Alzheimer’s disease models,” Scientific Reports, vol. 6, pp. 19880, 2016.