- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2006 (2006), Article ID 58406, 12 pages
-Amyloid Degradation and Alzheimer's Disease
1Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53705, USA
2Departments of Pathology (Neuropathology) and Neuroscience, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
3Waisman Center for Developmental Disabilities, School of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Received 18 November 2005; Revised 18 January 2006; Accepted 1 February 2006
Copyright © 2006 Deng-Shun Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [69 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Mun’delanji Vestergaard, Kagan Kerman, and Eiichi Tamiya, “The study of Alzheimer’s disease biomarkers,” NanoBiotechnology, vol. 2, no. 1-2, pp. 5–16, 2006.
- Linda Adlerz, Sofia Holback, Gerd Multhaup, and Kerstin Iverfeldt, “IGF-1-induced processing of the amyloid precursor protein family is mediated by different signaling pathways,” Journal Of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 14, pp. 10203–10209, 2007.
- Antonio Orlacchio, Giorgio Bernardi, Aldo Orlacchio, and Sabata Martino, “RNA interference as a tool for Alzheimer's disease therapy,” Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 1166–1176, 2007.
- Rita Costa, Frederico Ferreira-da-Silva, Maria J. Saraiva, and Isabel Cardoso, “Transthyretin Protects against A-Beta Peptide Toxicity by Proteolytic Cleavage of the Peptide: A Mechanism Sensitive to the Kunitz Protease Inhibitor,” Plos One, vol. 3, no. 8, 2008.
- Takeuchi, Uetsuka, Murayama, Kikuta, Takashima, Doi, and Nakayama, “Complementary distributions of amyloid-β and neprilysin in the brains of dogs and cats,” Veterinary Pathology, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 455–466, 2008.
- Xiaoou Sun, Matthias Becker, Kristin Pankow, Eberhard Krause, Martina Ringling, Michael Beyermann, Bjoern Maul, Thomas Walther, and Wolf-Eberhard Siems, “Catabolic attacks of membrane-bound angiotensin-converting enzyme on the N-terminal part of species-specific amyloid-β peptides,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 588, no. 1, pp. 18–25, 2008.
- James Scott Miners, Shabnam Baig, Jennifer Palmer, Laura E. Palmer, Patrick G. Kehoe, and Seth Love, “A beta-degrading enzymes in Alzheimer's disease,” Brain Pathology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 240–252, 2008.
- Natalia N. Nalivaeva, Lilia R. Fisk, Nikolai D. Belyaev, and Anthony J. Turner, “Amyloid-degrading enzymes as therapeutic targets in Alzheimer's disease,” Current Alzheimer Research, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 212–224, 2008.
- Woojin Kim, and Michael H. Hecht, “Mutations Enhance the Aggregation Propensity of the Alzheimer’s Aβ Peptide,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 377, no. 2, pp. 565–574, 2008.
- Ohyagi, “Intracellular amyloid β-protein as a therapeutic target for treating Alzheimer's disease,” Current Alzheimer Research, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 555–561, 2008.
- Malcolm A. Leissring, “The A beta Cs of A beta-cleaving Proteases,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 283, no. 44, pp. 29645–29649, 2008.
- Ramón Cacabelos, “Pharmacogenomics in alzheimer's disease,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 448, pp. 213–357, 2008.
- James Scott Miners, Shabnam Baig, Hannah Tayler, Patrick Gavin Kehoe, and Seth Love, “Neprilysin and Insulin-Degrading Enzyme Levels Are Increased in Alzheimer Disease in Relation to Disease Severity,” Journal of Neuropathology & Experimental Neurology, vol. 68, no. 8, pp. 902–914, 2009.
- Rui Wang, Suqing Wang, James S. Malter, and Deng-Shun Wang, “Effects of 4-Hydroxy-Nonenal and Amyloid-beta on Expression and Activity of Endothelin Converting Enzyme and Insulin Degrading Enzyme in SH-SY5Y Cells,” Journal Of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 489–501, 2009.
- Cristian L. Achim, Anthony Adame, Wilmar Dumaop, Ian P. Everall, and Eliezer Masliah, “Increased Accumulation of Intraneuronal Amyloid beta in HIV-Infected Patients,” Journal Of Neuroimmune Pharmacology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 190–199, 2009.
- Marwan N. Sabbagh, “Drug development for Alzheimer's disease: Where are we now and where are we headed?,” The American Journal of Geriatric Pharmacotherapy, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 167–185, 2009.
- Giuseppe Grasso, Placido Mineo, Enrico Rizzarelli, and Giuseppe Spoto, “MALDI, AP/MALDI and ESI techniques for the MS detection of amyloid β-peptides,” International Journal of Mass Spectrometry, vol. 282, no. 1-2, pp. 50–55, 2009.
- Rajeev Prabhakar, “Computational insights into the development of novel therapeutic strategies for Alzheimer’s disease,” Future Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 119–135, 2009.
- Jinzhou Tian, Jing Shi, Leiming Zhang, Junxiang Yin, Quan Hu, Yi Xu, Shuli Sheng, Pengwen Wang, Ying Ren, Rong Wang, and Yongyan Wang, “GEPT extract reduces Aβ deposition by regulating the Balance between production And Degradation of Aβ in APPV717I Transgenic Mice,” Current Alzheimer Research, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 118–131, 2009.
- Rui Wang, Suqing Wang, James S. Malter, and Deng-Shun Wang, “Effects of HNE-modification induced by Aβ on neprilysin expression and activity in SH-SY5Y cells,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 1072–1082, 2009.
- Mei-Chen Liao, Mahiuddin Ahmed, Steven O. Smith, and William E. Van Nostrand, “Degradation of Amyloid beta Protein by Purified Myelin Basic Protein,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 284, no. 42, pp. 28917–28925, 2009.
- Henny Wati, Takeshi Kawarabayashi, Etsuro Matsubara, Ayumi Kasai, Takae Hirasawa, Takeo Kubota, Yasuo Harigaya, Mikio Shoji, and Shuichiro Maeda, “Transthyretin Accelerates Vascular A beta Deposition in a Mouse Model of Alzheimer's Disease,” Brain Pathology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 48–57, 2009.
- Han-Chang Huang, and Zhao-Feng Jiang, “Accumulated Amyloid-beta Peptide and Hyperphosphorylated Tau Protein: Relationship and Links in Alzheimer's Disease,” Journal Of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 15–27, 2009.
- Takahisa Kanekiyo, and Guojun Bu, “LRP1 and cerebral amyloid angiopathy,” Future Neurology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 55–65, 2009.
- Boyan Fang, Dajiang Wang, Meifeng Huang, Guohua Yu, and Hua Li, “Hypothesis on the Relationship Between the Change in Intracellular pH and Incidence of Sporadic Alzheimer's Disease or Vascular Dementia,” International Journal Of Neuroscience, vol. 120, no. 9, pp. 591–595, 2010.
- Kasturirangan, and Sierks, “Targeted hydrolysis of beta-amyloid with engineered antibody fragments,” Current Alzheimer Research, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 214–222, 2010.
- Jong-Min Woo, So Jung Park, Ho Il Kang, Byoung Guk Kim, Sun Bo Shim, Seung Wan Jee, Su Hae Lee, Ji Soon Sin, Chang Joon Bae, Mee Kyung Jang, Chunghee Cho, Dae Youn Hwang, and Chuel Kyu Kim, “Characterization of changes in global gene expression in the brain of neuron-specific enolase/human Tau23 transgenic mice in response to overexpression of Tau protein,” International Journal Of Molecular Medicine, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 667–675, 2010.
- Jong-Min Woo, So Jung Park, Ho Il Kang, Byoung Guk Kim, Sun Bo Shim, Seung Wan Jee, Su Hae Lee, Ji Soon Sin, Chang Joon Bae, Mee Kyung Jang, Chunghee Cho, Dae Youn Hwang, and Chuel Kyu Kim, “Characterization of changes in global gene expression in the brain of neuron-specific enolase/human Tau23 transgenic mice in response to overexpression of Tau protein,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 667–675, 2010.
- Ram Prasad Bora, Mehmet Ozbil, and Rajeev Prabhakar, “Elucidation of insulin degrading enzyme catalyzed site specific hydrolytic cleavage of amyloid beta peptide: a comparative density functional theory study,” Journal Of Biological Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 485–495, 2010.
- Giuseppe Grasso, “The use of mass spectrometry to study amyloid-β peptides,” Mass Spectrometry Reviews, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 347–365, 2010.
- Rachel Barker, Seth Love, and Patrick G. Kehoe, “Plasminogen and plasmin in Alzheimer's disease,” Brain Research, vol. 1355, pp. 7–15, 2010.
- Suqing Wang, Rui Wang, Lang Chen, David A. Bennett, Dennis W. Dickson, and Deng-Shun Wang, “Expression and functional profiling of neprilysin, insulin-degrading enzyme, and endothelin-converting enzyme in prospectively studied elderly and Alzheimer's brain,” Journal Of Neurochemistry, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 47–57, 2010.
- Kaiwei Liang, Liuqing Yang, Chen Yin, Zhimin Xiao, Junjian Zhang, Yumin Liu, and Jian Huang, “Estrogen Stimulates Degradation of beta-Amyloid Peptide by Up-regulating Neprilysin,” Journal Of Biological Chemistry, vol. 285, no. 2, pp. 935–942, 2010.
- Rui Wang, James S. Malter, and Deng-Shun Wang, “N-Acetylcysteine Prevents 4-Hydroxynonenal- and Amyloid-beta-Induced Modification and Inactivation of Neprilysin in SH-SY5Y Cells,” Journal Of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 179–189, 2010.
- Laura Corsinovi, Fiorella Biasi, Giuseppe Poli, Gabriella Leonarduzzi, and Gianluca Isaia, “Dietary lipids and their oxidized products in Alzheimer's disease,” Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, vol. 55, pp. S161–S172, 2011.
- Eric Karran, Marc Mercken, and Bart De Strooper, “The amyloid cascade hypothesis for Alzheimer's disease: an appraisal for the development of therapeutics,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 698–712, 2011.
- Federico T. Bianchi, Paola Camera, Ugo Ala, Daniele Imperiale, Antonio Migheli, Enrica Boda, Filippo Tempia, Gaia Berto, Ylenia Bosio, Salvatore Oddo, Frank M. LaFerla, Stefano Taraglio, Carlos G. Dotti, and Ferdinando Di Cunto, “The Collagen Chaperone HSP47 Is a New Interactor of APP that Affects the Levels of Extracellular Beta-Amyloid Peptides,” Plos One, vol. 6, no. 7, 2011.
- Xiqian Lan, Jiqing Xu, Tomomi Kiyota, Hui Peng, Jialin C. Zheng, and Tsuneya Ikezu, “HIV-1 Reduces A beta-Degrading Enzymatic Activities in Primary Human Mononuclear Phagocytes,” Journal Of Immunology, vol. 186, no. 12, pp. 6925–6932, 2011.
- Petra M. Klinge, Kathrin Harmening, Miles C. Miller, Anna Heile, Christine Wallrapp, Peter Geigle, and Thomas Brinker, “Encapsulated native and glucagon-like peptide-1 transfected human mesenchymal stem cells in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's disease,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 497, no. 1, pp. 6–10, 2011.
- Yan Zhang, and Daniel H. S. Lee, “Sink Hypothesis and Therapeutic Strategies for Attenuating A beta Levels,” Neuroscientist, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 163–173, 2011.
- Eri Himeno, Yasumasa Ohyagi, Linqing Ma, Norimichi Nakamura, Katsue Miyoshi, Nobutaka Sakae, Kyoko Motomura, Naoko Soejima, Ryo Yamasaki, Tetsuya Hashimoto, Takeshi Tabira, Frank M. LaFerla, and Jun-ichi Kira, “Apomorphine treatment in Alzheimer mice promoting amyloid-β degradation,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 248–256, 2011.
- Jie Li, Ruiwu Liu, Kit S. Lam, Lee-Way Jin, and Yong Duan, “Alzheimer's Disease Drug Candidates Stabilize A-β Protein Native Structure by Interacting with the Hydrophobic Core,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 1076–1082, 2011.
- Orso Bugiani, “Alzheimer's disease: ageing-related or age-related? New hypotheses from an old debate,” Neurological Sciences, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 1241–1247, 2011.
- James Scott Miners, Neil Barua, Patrick Gavin Kehoe, Steven Gill, and Seth Love, “A beta-Degrading Enzymes: Potential for Treatment of Alzheimer Disease,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 70, no. 11, pp. 944–959, 2011.
- Jasmin Bartl, Claus-Juergen Scholz, Margareta Hinterberger, Susanne Jungwirth, Ildiko Wichart, Michael K. Rainer, Susanne Kneitz, Walter Danielczyk, Karl H. Tragl, Peter Fischer, Peter Riederer, and Edna Gruenblatt, “Disorder-specific effects of polymorphisms at opposing ends of the Insulin Degrading Enzyme gene,” Bmc Medical Genetics, vol. 12, 2011.
- Rebekah C. Mannix, Jimmy Zhang, Juyeon Park, Xuan Zhang, Kiran Bilal, Kendall Walker, Rudolph E. Tanzi, Giuseppina Tesco, and Michael J. Whalen, “Age-dependent effect of apolipoprotein E4 on functional outcome after controlled cortical impact in mice,” Journal Of Cerebral Blood Flow And Metabolism, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 351–361, 2011.
- Sandra A Jacobson, and Marwan N Sabbagh, “Investigational drugs for the treatment of AD: what can we learn from negative trials?,” Alzheimer's Research & Therapy, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 14, 2011.
- J.J. Gallagher, A.M. Minogue, and M.A. Lynch, “Impaired performance of female APP/PS1 mice in the morris water maze is coupled with increased Aβ accumulation and microglial activation,” Neurodegenerative Diseases, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 33–41, 2012.
- Zhongcong Xie, and Zhipeng Xu, “General anesthetics and β-amyloid protein,” Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, 2012.
- Husam Ghanim, Scott V. Monte, Chang Ling Sia, Sanaa Abuaysheh, Kelly Green, Joseph A. Caruana, and Paresh Dandona, “Reduction in Inflammation and the Expression of Amyloid Precursor Protein and Other Proteins Related to Alzheimer's Disease following Gastric Bypass Surgery,” Journal Of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 97, no. 7, pp. E1197–E1201, 2012.
- Daniel Limon, Alfonso Diaz, Monserrat Hernandez, Juan M. Fernandez-G, Ana C. Torres-Martinez, Francisca Perez-Severiano, Erika P. Rendon-Huerta, Luis F. Montano, and Jorge Guevara, “Neuroprotective effect of the aminoestrogen prolame against impairment of learning and memory skills in rats injected with amyloid-beta(-25-35) into the hippocampus,” European Journal Of Pharmacology, vol. 685, no. 1-3, pp. 74–80, 2012.
- Rachel Barker, Patrick G. Kehoe, and Seth Love, “Activators and inhibitors of the plasminogen system in Alzheimer’s disease,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 865–876, 2012.
- Grazia Tundo, Chiara Ciaccio, Diego Sbardella, Mariaserena Boraso, Barbara Viviani, Massimiliano Coletta, and Stefano Marini, “Somatostatin Modulates Insulin-Degrading-Enzyme Metabolism: Implications for the Regulation of Microglia Activity in AD,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 4, 2012.
- Sathish Kumar, Sandesh Singh, Desiree Hinze, Michaele Josten, Hans-Georg Sahl, Martin Siepmann, and Jochen Walter, “Phosphorylation of Amyloid-beta Peptide at Serine 8 Attenuates Its Clearance via Insulin-degrading and Angiotensin-converting Enzymes,” Journal Of Biological Chemistry, vol. 287, no. 11, pp. 8641–8651, 2012.
- Travis Sexton, Lisa J. Hitchcook, David W. Rodgers, Luke H. Bradley, and Louis B. Hersh, “Active Site Mutations Change the Cleavage Specificity of Neprilysin,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 2, 2012.
- Annalisa Grimaldi, Gianluca Tettamanti, Terenzio Congiu, Rossana Girardello, Davide Malagoli, Patrizia Falabella, Roberto Valvassori, Enzo Ottaviani, and Magda de Eguileor, “The main actors involved in parasitization of Heliothis virescens larva,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 350, no. 3, pp. 491–502, 2012.
- Linda Chami, and Frederic Checler, “BACE1 is at the crossroad of a toxic vicious cycle involving cellular stress and beta-amyloid production in Alzheimer's disease,” Molecular Neurodegeneration, vol. 7, 2012.
- Tae-Kyung Kim, Hye-Eun Han, Hannah Kim, Jung-Eun Lee, Daehan Choi, Woo Jin Park, and Pyung-Lim Han, “Expression of the plant viral protease NIa in the brain of a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease mitigates Aβ pathology and improves cognitive function,” Experimental & Molecular Medicine, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 740, 2012.
- Frantisek Sedlak, Pavel Sacha, Miroslava Blechova, Anna Brezinova, Martin Safarik, and Jaroslav Sebestik, “Glutamate carboxypeptidase II does not process amyloid-beta peptide,” Faseb Journal, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 2626–2632, 2013.
- Milena Pinto, Alicia M. Pickrell, Hirokazu Fukui, and Carlos T. Moraes, “Mitochondrial DNA damage in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease decreases amyloid beta plaque formation,” Neurobiology of Aging, 2013.
- Chidambar Balbhim Jalkute, Sagar Hindurao Barage, Maruti Jayram Dhanavade, and Kailas Dasharath Sonawane, “Molecular Dynamics Simulation and Molecular Docking Studies of Angiotensin Converting Enzyme with Inhibitor Lisinopril and Amyloid Beta Peptide,” The Protein Journal, 2013.
- Yunyun Zhang, Bin Wang, Heming Wan, Qida Zhou, and Tianjie Li, “Meta-analysis of the insulin degrading enzyme polymorphisms and susceptibility to Alzheimer's disease,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 541, pp. 132–137, 2013.
- Y. Liu, M. Gao, L. Ma, L. Zhang, and N. Pan, “Sevoflurane alters the expression of receptors and enzymes involved in Aβ clearance in rats,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, 2013.
- John R. Walker, Alana Althage, Bo Liu, Tove Tuntland, Laura H. Jacobson, Jennifer L. Harris, Andrew M. Schumacher, Reynand Pacoma, James Watson, Weijia Ou, Juliano Alves, Daniel E. Mason, Eric C. Peters, Hugo D. Urbina, and Gus Welzel, “Enhanced proteolytic clearance of plasma Aβ by peripherally administered neprilysin does not result in reduced levels of brain Aβ in mice,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 2457–2464, 2013.
- Marcus O. W. Grimm, Janine Mett, Christoph P. Stahlmann, Viola J. Haupenthal, Valerie C. Zimmer, and Tobias Hartmann, “Neprilysin and A beta clearance: impact of the APP intracellular domain in NEP regulation and implications in Alzheimer's disease,” Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, vol. 5, 2013.
- Maruti J. Dhanavade, Chidambar B. Jalkute, Sagar H. Barage, and Kailas D. Sonawane, “Homology modeling, molecular docking and MD simulation studies to investigate role of cysteine protease from Xanthomonas campestris in degradation of Aβ peptide,” Computers in Biology and Medicine, 2013.
- Jung-Eun Lee, and Pyung-Lim Han, “An Update of Animal Models of Alzheimer Disease with a Reevaluation of Plaque Depositions,” Experimental Neurobiology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 84, 2013.
- J. Scott Miners, Jennifer C. Palmer, Hannah Tayler, Laura E. Palmer, Emma Ashby, Patrick G. Kehoe, and Seth Love, “AÎ² degradation or cerebral perfusion? Divergent effects of multifunctional enzymes,” Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, vol. 6, 2014.
- Carlos H. B. da Cruz, and Gustavo Seabra, “Molecular Dynamics Simulations Reveal a Novel Mechanism for ATP Inhibition of Insulin Degrading Enzyme,” Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 1380–1390, 2014.