- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2006 (2006), Article ID 73976, 17 pages
Roles of Cholesterol and Lipids in the Etiopathogenesis of Alzheimer's Disease
1Laboratory of Cellular and Molecular Biology and
Neurosciences, Millennium Institute for Advanced Studies in Cell
Biology and Biotechnology (CBB), Millennium Building, Las Encinas 3370, Ñuñoa, Santiago, Chile
2Department of Chemistry, Arturo Prat University, avenue Arturo Prat 2120, Iquique, Chile
3Department of Neurological Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Chile, Salvador 486, Providencia, Santiago 750-0922, Chile
Received 2 December 2005; Revised 25 May 2006; Accepted 30 May 2006
Copyright © 2006 Leonel Rojo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [28 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Marco Marenchino, Philip T.F. Williamson, Samuel Murri, Giorgia Zandomeneghi, Heidi Wunderli-Allenspach, Beat H. Meier, and Stefanie D. Krämer, “Dynamics and Cleavability at the α-Cleavage Site of APP(684-726) in Different Lipid Environments,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 1460–1473, 2008.
- Anil Kumar, and Samrita Dogra, “Neuropathology and therapeutic management of Alzheimer's disease - an updat e,” Drugs of The Future, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 433–446, 2008.
- Steven S.-S. Wang, Josephine W. Wu, Shuichi Yamamoto, and Hwai-Shen Liu, “Diseases of protein aggregation and the hunt for potential pharmacological agents,” Biotechnology Journal, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 165–192, 2008.
- Karen F. Neumann, Leonel Rojo, Leonardo P. Navarrete, Gonzalo Farías, Paula Reyes, and Ricardo B. Maccioni, “Insulin resistance and Alzheimer's disease: Molecular links amp; clinical implications,” Current Alzheimer Research, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 438–447, 2008.
- Leonel E. Rojo, Jorge A. Fernández, Andrea A. Maccioni, José M. Jimenez, and Ricardo B. Maccioni, “Neuroinflammation: Implications for the Pathogenesis and Molecular Diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2008.
- Mun'delanji Vestergaard, Tsutomu Hamada, and Masahiro Takagi, “Using model membranes for the study of amyloid beta:lipid interactions and neurotoxicity,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 753–763, 2008.
- José Miguel Vicencio, Lorenzo Galluzzi, Nicolas Tajeddine, Carla Ortiz, Alfredo Criollo, Ezgi Tasdemir, Eugenia Morselli, Amena Ben Younes, Maria Chiara Maiuri, Sergio Lavandero, and Guido Kroemer, “Senescence, Apoptosis or Autophagy?,” Gerontology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 92–99, 2008.
- Tony Valente, Juan Hidalgo, Irene Bolea, Bartolome Ramirez, Neus Angles, Jordi Reguant, Jose Ramon Morello, Cristina Gutierrez, Merce Boada, and Mercedes Unzeta, “A Diet Enriched in Polyphenols and Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids, LMN Diet, I nduces Neurogenesis in the Subventricular Zone and Hippocampus of Adult Mou se Brain,” Journal of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 849–865, 2009.
- Masamune Morita, Mun'delanji Vestergaard, Tsutomu Hamada, and Masahiro Takagi, “Model-membrane morphological transformations induced by different amyloid molecular assemblies,” 20th Anniversary MHS 2009 and Micro-Nano Global COE - 2009 International Symposium on Micro-NanoMechatronics and Human Science, pp. 220–224, 2009.
- Marianne Evola, Allyson Hall, Trevor Wall, Alice Young, and Paula Grammas, “Oxidative stress impairs learning and memory in apoE knockout mice,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 181–186, 2010.
- Shawn N. Whitehead, Sandhya Gangaraju, Jacqueline Slinn, and Sheng T. Hou, “Transient and bilateral increase in Neuropilin-1, Fer kinase and collapsin response mediator proteins within membrane rafts following unilateral occlusion of the middle cerebral artery in mouse,” Brain Research, vol. 1344, pp. 209–216, 2010.
- Vestergaard, Hamada, Morita, and Takagi, “Cholesterol, lipids, amyloid beta, and Alzheimer's,” Current Alzheimer Research, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 262–270, 2010.
- Cara-Lynne Schengrund, “Lipid rafts: Keys to neurodegeneration,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 82, no. 1-2, pp. 7–17, 2010.
- Masamune Morita, Mun'delanji Vestergaard, Tsutomu Hamada, and Masahiro Takagi, “Real-time observation of model membrane dynamics induced by Alzheimer's amyloid beta,” Biophysical Chemistry, vol. 147, no. 1-2, pp. 81–86, 2010.
- Marco A. Meraz-Ríos, Karla I. Lira-De León, Victoria Campos-Peña, Martha A. De Anda-Hernández, and Raúl Mena-López, “Tau oligomers and aggregation in Alzheimer’s disease,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 1353–1367, 2010.
- Esposito, and Cuzzocrea, “New therapeutic strategy for parkinson's and alzheimer's disease,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 17, no. 25, pp. 2764–2774, 2010.
- Leonel E. Rojo, Jans Alzate-Morales, Ivan N. Saavedra, Peter Davies, and Ricardo B. Maccioni, “Selective Interaction of Lansoprazole and Astemizole with Tau Polymers: Pot ential New Clinical Use in Diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease,” Journal of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 573–589, 2010.
- Mun'delanji C. Vestergaard, Masumune Morita, Tsutomu Hamada, and Masahiro Takagi, “Alzheimer's amyloid beta: Lipid membrane interactions, detected in real-time,” 2010 International Symposium on Micro-NanoMechatronics and Human Science: From Micro and Nano Scale Systems to Robotics and Mechatronics Systems, MHS 2010, Micro-Nano GCOE 2010, Bio-Manipulation 2010, pp. 144–148, 2010.
- Anila Mathew, Yasuhiko Yoshida, Toru Maekawa, and D. Sakthi Kumar, “Alzheimer's disease: Cholesterol a menace?,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 86, no. 1-2, pp. 1–12, 2011.
- Doaa A. Ghareeb, Hani S. Hafez, Hend M. Hussien, and Nihal F. Kabapy, “Non-alcoholic fatty liver induces insulin resistance and metabolic disorders with development of brain damage and dysfunction,” Metabolic Brain Disease, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 253–267, 2011.
- de Bem, de Oliveira, Hort, Moreira, Glaser, Ribeiro-do-Valle, Prediger, Farina, and Latini, “Positive correlation between elevated plasma cholesterol levels and cognitive impairments in LDL receptor knockout mice: Relevance of cortico-cerebral mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress,” Neuroscience, vol. 197, pp. 99–106, 2011.
- Timothy M. Ryan, Anna Friedhuber, Monica Lind, Geoffrey J. Howlett, Colin Masters, and Blaine R. Roberts, “Small Amphipathic Molecules Modulate Secondary Structure and Amyloid Fibril -forming Kinetics of Alzheimer Disease Peptide A beta(1-42),” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 287, no. 20, pp. 16947–16954, 2012.
- Jerzy Leszek, Marta Sochocka, and Kazimierz Gasiorowski, “Vascular factors and epigenetic modifications in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 323, no. 1-2, pp. 25–32, 2012.
- Leonardo Guzmán-Martínez, Gonzalo A. Farías, and Ricardo B. Maccioni, “Emerging Noninvasive Biomarkers for Early Detection of Alzheimer's Disease,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 663–666, 2012.
- Luz D. Orozco, Brian J. Bennett, Charles R. Farber, Anatole Ghazalpour, Calvin Pan, Nam Che, Pingzi Wen, Hong Xiu Qi, Adonisa Mutukulu, Nathan Siemers, Isaac Neuhaus, Roumyana Yordanova, Peter Gargalovic, Matteo Pellegrini, Todd Kirchgessner, and Aldons J. Lusis, “Unraveling Inflammatory Responses using Systems Genetics and Gene-Environment Interactions in Macrophages,” Cell, vol. 151, no. 3, pp. 658–670, 2012.
- Gonzalo Farias, Patricio Perez, Andrea Slachevsky, and Ricardo B. Maccioni, “Platelet Tau Pattern Correlates with Cognitive Status in Alzheimer's Diseas e,” Journal of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 65–69, 2012.
- Clara Ibáñez, Carolina Simó, and Alejandro Cifuentes, “Metabolomics in Alzheimer's disease research,” Electrophoresis, 2013.
- Mun'delanji C. Vestergaard, Masamune Morita, Tsutomu Hamada, and Masahiro Takagi, “Membrane fusion and vesicular transformation induced by Alzheimer's amyloid beta,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Biomembranes, vol. 1828, no. 4, pp. 1314–1321, 2013.