- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2006 (2006), Article ID 82323, 6 pages
Oxidative Damage to RNA in Neurodegenerative Diseases
1Department of Psychiatry and Neurology, Asahikawa Medical College, Asahikawa 078-8510, Japan
2Department of Neurology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606-8507, Japan
3Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8574, Japan
4Pharmaceutical Research Laboratories I, Pharmaceutical Research Division, Takeda Chemical Industries Limited, Osaka 532-8686, Japan
5Institute of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland 44106, OH, USA
Received 5 January 2006; Accepted 21 April 2006
Copyright © 2006 Akihiko Nunomura et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [48 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Lucia Petrozzi, Giulia Ricci, Noemi J. Giglioli, Gabriele Siciliano, and Michelangelo Mancuso, “Mitochondria and neurodegeneration,” Bioscience Reports, vol. 27, no. 1-3, pp. 87–104, 2007.
- Mark A. Lovell, and William R. Markesbery, “Oxidative damage in mild cognitive impairment and early Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 85, no. 14, pp. 3036–3040, 2007.
- Boris Görg, Natalia Qvartskhava, Verena Keitel, Hans J. Bidmon, Oliver Selbach, Freimut Schliess, and Dieter Häussinger, “ Ammonia induces RNA oxidation in cultured astrocytes and brain in vivo ,” Hepatology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 567–579, 2008.
- Joshua A. Sonnen, John C. Breitner, Mark A. Lovell, William R. Markesbery, Joseph F. Quinn, and Thomas J. Montine, “Free radical-mediated damage to brain in Alzheimer's disease and its transgenic mouse models,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 219–230, 2008.
- Dieter Häussinger, and Schliess, “Pathogenetic mechanisms of hepatic encephalopathy,” Gut, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 1156–1165, 2008.
- Mark A. Lovell, and William R. Markesbery, “Oxidatively modified RNA in mild cognitive impairment,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 169–175, 2008.
- Carmela Fimognari, Piero Sestili, Monia Lenzi, Anahi Bucchini, Giorgio Cantelli-Forti, and Patrizia Hrelia, “RNA as a new target for toxic and protective agents,” Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis, vol. 648, no. 1-2, pp. 15–22, 2008.
- Hélène Gaillard, and Andrés Aguilera, “A novel class of mRNA-containing cytoplasmic granules are produced in response to UV-irradiation,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 4980–4992, 2008.
- Helga E. de Vries, Maarten Witte, David Hondius, Annemieke J.M. Rozemuller, Benjamin Drukarch, Jeroen Hoozemans, and Jack van Horssen, “Nrf2-induced antioxidant protection: A promising target to counteract ROS-mediated damage in neurodegenerative disease?,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 1375–1383, 2008.
- Mark A. Lovell, Shuling Xiong, Ganna Lyubartseva, and William R. Markesbery, “Organoselenium (Sel-Plex diet) decreases amyloid burden and RNA and DNA oxidative damage in APP/PS1 mice,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 1527–1533, 2009.
- Hiroyuki Kamiya, Akihiro Suzuki, Yuki Yamaguchi, Hiroshi Handa, and Hideyoshi Harashima, “Incorporation of 8-hydroxyguanosine (8-oxo-7,8-dihydroguanosine) 5′-triphosphate by bacterial and human RNA polymerases,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 1703–1707, 2009.
- Gaetan Deslee, Jason C. Woods, Carla Moore, Susan H. Conradi, David S. Gierada, Jeffrey J. Atkinson, John T. Battaile, Lucy Liu, Alexander Patterson, Tracy L. Adair-Kirk, Michael J. Holtzman, and Richard A. Pierce, “Oxidative damage to nucleic acids in severe emphysema,” Chest, vol. 135, no. 4, pp. 965–974, 2009.
- Jinhua Wu, Zhe Jiang, Min Liu, Xin Gong, Shaohui Wu, Christopher M. Burns, and Zhongwei Li, “Polynucleotide phosphorylase protects escherichia coli against oxidative stress,” Biochemistry, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 2012–2020, 2009.
- Carmela Fimognari, Piero Sestili, Monia Lenzi, Giorgio Cantelli-Forti, and Patrizia Hrelia, “Protective effect of creatine against RNA damage,” Mutation Research - Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis, vol. 670, no. 1-2, pp. 59–67, 2009.
- Paola Manini, Giuseppe De Palma, Roberta Andreoli, Boleslaw Marczynski, Monika Hanova, Paola Mozzoni, Alessio Naccarati, Ludmila Vodickova, Pavel Hlavac, Antonio Mutti, and Pavel Vodicka, “Biomarkers of nucleic acid oxidation, polymorphism in, and expression of, hOGG1 gene in styrene-exposed workers,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 190, no. 1, pp. 41–47, 2009.
- Francesca Mangialasche, M. Cristina Polidori, Roberto Monastero, Sara Ercolani, Cecilia Camarda, Roberta Cecchetti, and Patrizia Mecocci, “Biomarkers of oxidative and nitrosative damage in Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment,” Ageing Research Reviews, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 285–305, 2009.
- Freimut Schliess, Boris Görg, and Dieter Häussinger, “RNA oxidation and zinc in hepatic encephalopathy and hyperammonemia,” Metabolic Brain Disease, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 119–134, 2009.
- Sara R. Zwart, Geeta Kala, and Scott M. Smith, “Body iron stores and oxidative damage in humans increased during and after a 10- To 12-Day undersea dive,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 90–95, 2009.
- Koji Ueda, “Effect of Environmental Chemicals on Genes and the Expression,” Yakugaku Zasshi, vol. 129, no. 12, pp. 1501–1506, 2009.
- Elisabeth J. Wurtmann, and Sandra L. Wolin, “RNA under attack: Cellular handling of RNA damage RNA under attack: Cellular handling of RNA damage E. J. Wurtmann et.al.,” Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 34–49, 2009.
- Roberta Andreoli, Paola Manini, Giuseppe De Palma, Rossella Alinovi, Matteo Goldoni, Wilfried M.A. Niessen, and Antonio Mutti, “Quantitative determination of urinary 8-oxo-7,8-dihydro-2′- deoxyguanosine, 8-oxo-7,8-dihydroguanine, 8-oxo-7,8-dihydroguanosine, and their non-oxidized forms: Daily concentration profile in healthy volunteers,” Biomarkers, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 221–231, 2010.
- Paola Manini, Giuseppe De Palma, Roberta Andreoli, Paola Mozzoni, Diana Poli, Matteo Goldoni, Marta Petyx, Pietro Apostoli, and Antonio Mutti, “Occupational exposure to low levels of benzene: Biomarkers of exposure and nucleic acid oxidation and their modulation by polymorphic xenobiotic metabolizing enzymes,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 193, no. 3, pp. 229–235, 2010.
- Simpson, Ince, Lace, Forster, Shaw, Matthews, Savva, Brayne, and Wharton, “Astrocyte phenotype in relation to Alzheimer-type pathology in the ageing brain,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 578–590, 2010.
- Firdevs Mor, and Ozlem Ozmen, “Endosulfan-induced neurotoxicity and serum acetylcholinesterase inhibition in rabbits: The protective effect of Vit C,” Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 108–112, 2010.
- Samy Rengasamy, Edward Fisher, and Ronald E. Shaffer, “Evaluation of the survivability of MS2 viral aerosols deposited on filtering face piece respirator samples incorporating antimicrobial technologies,” American Journal of Infection Control, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 9–17, 2010.
- Dieter Häussinger, and Boris Görg, “Interaction of oxidative stress, astrocyte swelling and cerebral ammonia toxicity,” Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 87–92, 2010.
- Sónia C. Correia, Renato X. Santos, George Perry, Xiongwei Zhu, Paula I. Moreira, and Mark A. Smith, “Mitochondria: The missing link between preconditioning and neuroprotection,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. S475–S485, 2010.
- Pasquale Picone, Daniela Giacomazza, Valeria Vetri, Rita Carrotta, Valeria Militello, Pier L. San Biagio, and Marta Di Carlo, “Insulin-activated Akt rescues Aβ oxidative stress-induced cell death by orchestrating molecular trafficking,” Aging Cell, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 832–843, 2011.
- Jérémie Bazin, Nicolas Langlade, Patrick Vincourt, Sandrine Arribat, Sandrine Balzergue, Hayat El-Maarouf-Bouteau, and Christophe Bailly, “Targeted mRNA oxidation regulates sunflower seed dormancy alleviation during dry after-ripening,” Plant Cell, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 2196–2208, 2011.
- C. Carlesi, E. Caldarazzo Ienco, S. Piazza, A. Lo Gerfo, R. Alessi, L. Pasquali, and Gabriele Siciliano, “Oxidative stress modulation in neurodegenerative diseases,” Mediterranean Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 219–225, 2011.
- Micha M.M. Wilhelmus, Susanne M.A. van der Pol, Quentin Jansen, Maarten E. Witte, Paul van der Valk, Annemieke J.M. Rozemuller, Benjamin Drukarch, Helga E. de Vries, and Jack Van Horssen, “Association of Parkinson disease-related protein PINK1 with Alzheimer disease and multiple sclerosis brain lesions,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 469–476, 2011.
- Buneeva, and Medvedev, “Mitochondrial dysfunction in Parkinson's disease,” Biochemistry (Moscow) Supplement Series B: Biomedical Chemistry, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 313–336, 2011.
- Pascal A. Küpfer, and Christian J. Leumann, “Synthesis, base pairing properties and trans-lesion synthesis by reverse transcriptases of oligoribonucleotides containing the oxidatively damaged base 5-hydroxycytidine,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 39, no. 21, pp. 9422–9432, 2011.
- Roberta Andreoli, Antonio Mutti, Matteo Goldoni, Paola Manini, Pietro Apostoli, and Giuseppe De Palma, “Reference ranges of urinary biomarkers of oxidized guanine in (2′-deoxy)ribonucleotides and nucleic acids,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 254–261, 2011.
- Varsha Shukla, Santosh K. Mishra, and Harish C. Pant, “Oxidative Stress in Neurodegeneration,” Advances in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 2011, pp. 1–13, 2011.
- Elena Caldarazzo Ienco, Annalisa LoGerfo, Cecilia Carlesi, Daniele Orsucci, Giulia Ricci, Michelangelo Mancuso, and Gabriele Siciliano, “Oxidative Stress Treatment for Clinical Trials in Neurodegenerative Disease s,” Journal of Alzheimers Disease, vol. 24, pp. 111–126, 2011.
- Larissa Lobo Torres, Nathalia Barbosa Quaglio, Gisele Tavares De Souza, Raphael Tamborelli Garcia, Lívia Mendonça Munhoz Dati, Wallace Luiz Moreira, Ana Paula De Melo Loureiro, Juliana Nery De Souza-Talarico, Jerusa Smid, Cláudia Selito Porto, Cássio MacHado De Campos Bottino, Ricardo Nitrini, Silvia Berlanga De Moraes Barros, Rosana Camarini, and Tania Marcourakis, “Peripheral oxidative stress biomarkers in mild cognitive impairment and alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 59–68, 2011.
- Fei Shi, Wei Gan, Ben Nie, Yasumitsu Takagi, Hiroshi Hayakawa, Mutsuo Sekiguchi, and Jian-Ping Cai, “Greater nucleic acids oxidation in the temporal lobe than the frontal lobe in SAMP8,” NeuroReport, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 508–512, 2012.
- Terina N. Martinez, and J. Timothy Greenamyre, “Toxin Models of Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Parkinson's Disease,” Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 920–934, 2012.
- Carmela Fimognari, Monia Lenzi, Piero Sestili, Eleonora Turrini, Lorenzo Ferruzzi, Patrizia Hrelia, and Giorgio Cantelli-Forti, “Sulforaphane potentiates RNA damage induced by different xenobiotics,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 4, 2012.
- Shinya Akatsuka, and Shinya Toyokuni, “Genome-wide assessment of oxidatively generated DNA damage,” Free Radical Research, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 523–530, 2012.
- Sónia C. Correia, Renato X. Santos, Cristina Carvalho, Susana Cardoso, Emanuel Candeias, Maria S. Santos, Catarina R. Oliveira, and Paula I. Moreira, “Insulin signaling, glucose metabolism and mitochondria: Major players in Alzheimer's disease and diabetes interrelation,” Brain Research, vol. 1441, pp. 64–78, 2012.
- Renato X. Santos, Sónia C. Correia, Xiongwei Zhu, Mark A. Smith, Paula I. Moreira, Rudy J. Castellani, Akihiko Nunomura, and George Perry, “Mitochondrial DNA Oxidative Damage and Repair in Aging and Alzheimer's Disease,” Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, pp. 121207092352001, 2012.
- Inês Marques-Aleixo, Paulo J. Oliveira, Paula I. Moreira, José Magalhães, and António Ascensão, “Physical exercise as a possible strategy for brain protection: Evidence from mitochondrial-mediated mechanisms,” Progress in Neurobiology, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 149–162, 2012.
- William H. Hoffman, John J. Shacka, and Anuska V. Andjelkovic, “Autophagy in the brains of young patients with poorly controlled T1DM and fatal diabetic ketoacidosis,” Experimental and Molecular Pathology, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 273–280, 2012.
- Sónia C. Correia, Renato X. Santos, George Perry, Xiongwei Zhu, Paula I. Moreira, and Mark A. Smith, “Mitochondrial importance in Alzheimer's, Huntington's and Parkinson's diseases,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 724, pp. 205–221, 2012.
- Boris Görg, Freimut Schliess, and Dieter Häussinger, “Osmotic and oxidative/nitrosative stress in ammonia toxicity and hepatic encephalopathy,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2013.
- Ruth Goldschmidt, Pablo M. Arce, Omar M. Khdour, Valérie C. Collin, Sriloy Dey, Jennifer Jaruvangsanti, David M. Fash, and Sidney M. Hecht, “Effects of cytoprotective antioxidants on lymphocytes from representative mitochondrial neurodegenerative diseases,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 969–978, 2013.