- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2006 (2006), Article ID 82323, 6 pages
Oxidative Damage to RNA in Neurodegenerative Diseases
1Department of Psychiatry and Neurology, Asahikawa Medical College, Asahikawa 078-8510, Japan
2Department of Neurology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606-8507, Japan
3Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8574, Japan
4Pharmaceutical Research Laboratories I, Pharmaceutical Research Division, Takeda Chemical Industries Limited, Osaka 532-8686, Japan
5Institute of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland 44106, OH, USA
Received 5 January 2006; Accepted 21 April 2006
Copyright © 2006 Akihiko Nunomura et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M A Smith, C A Rottkamp, A Nunomura, A K Raina, and G Perry, “Oxidative stress in Alzheimer's disease,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1502, no. 1, pp. 139–144, 2000.
- P Jenner, “Oxidative stress in Parkinson's disease,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 53, no. suppl 3, pp. S26–S38, 2003.
- D Brégeon and A Sarasin, “Hypothetical role of RNA damage avoidance in preventing human disease,” Mutation Research, vol. 577, no. 1-2, pp. 293–302, 2005.
- E S Fiala, C C Conaway, and J E Mathis, “Oxidative DNA and RNA damage in the livers of Sprague-Dawley rats treated with the hepatocarcinogen 2-nitropropane,” Cancer Research, vol. 49, no. 20, pp. 5518–5522, 1989.
- W G Wamer and R R Wei, “In vitro photooxidation of nucleic acids by ultraviolet A radiation,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 560–563, 1997.
- T Hofer, C Badouard, E Bajak, J-L Ravanat, Å Mattsson, and I A Cotgreave, “Hydrogen peroxide causes greater oxidation in cellular RNA than in DNA,” Biological Chemistry, vol. 386, no. 4, pp. 333–337, 2005.
- M Szymanski, M Z Barciszewska, V A Erdmann, and J Barciszewski, “A new frontier for molecular medicine: noncoding RNAs,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1756, no. 1, pp. 65–75, 2005.
- A Nunomura, G Perry, M A Pappolla, et al., “RNA oxidation is a prominent feature of vulnerable neurons in Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1959–1964, 1999.
- J Zhang, G Perry, M A Smith, et al., “Parkinson's disease is associated with oxidative damage to cytoplasmic DNA and RNA in substantia nigra neurons,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 154, no. 5, pp. 1423–1429, 1999.
- A Nunomura, G Perry, M A Pappolla, et al., “Neuronal oxidative stress precedes amyloid- deposition in down syndrome,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 1011–1017, 2000.
- A Nunomura, G Perry, G Aliev, et al., “Oxidative damage is the earliest event in Alzheimer disease,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 759–767, 2001.
- A Nunomura, S Chiba, K Kosaka, et al., “Neuronal RNA oxidation is a prominent feature of dementia with Lewy bodies,” NeuroReport, vol. 13, no. 16, pp. 2035–2039, 2002.
- A Nunomura, S Chiba, K Kosaka, et al., “Erratum: neuronal RNA oxidation is a prominent feature of dementia with lewy bodies,” NeuroReport, vol. 14, no. 2, p. 293, 2003.
- M Guentchev, S L Siedlak, C Jarius, et al., “Oxidative damage to nucleic acids in human prion disease,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 275–281, 2002.
- M Hayashi, N Arai, J Satoh, et al., “Neurodegenerative mechanisms in subacute sclerosing panencephalitis,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 725–730, 2002.
- T Abe, H Tohgi, C Isobe, T Murata, and C Sato, “Remarkable increase in the concentration of 8-hydroxyguanosine in cerebrospinal fluid from patients with Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 447–450, 2002.
- A Kikuchi, A Takeda, H Onodera, et al., “Systemic increase of oxidative nucleic acid damage in Parkinson's disease and multiple system atrophy,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 244–248, 2002.
- X Shan, H Tashiro, and C-L G Lin, “The identification and characterization of oxidized RNAs in Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 4913–4921, 2003.
- X Shan and C-L G Lin, “Quantification of oxidized RNAs in Alzheimer's disease,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 657–662, 2006.
- T Abe, C Isobe, T Murata, C Sato, and H Tohgi, “Alteration of 8-hydroxyguanosine concentrations in the cerebrospinal fluid and serum from patients with Parkinson's disease,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 336, no. 2, pp. 105–108, 2003.
- A Nunomura, S Chiba, C F Lippa, et al., “Neuronal RNA oxidation is a prominent feature of familial Alzheimer's disease,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 108–113, 2004.
- K Honda, M A Smith, X Zhu, et al., “Ribosomal RNA in Alzheimer disease is oxidized by bound redox-active iron,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 22, pp. 20978–20986, 2005.
- M Hayashi, S Araki, J Kohyama, K Shioda, and R Fukatsu, “Oxidative nucleotide damage and superoxide dismutase expression in the brains of xeroderma pigmentosum group A and Cockayne syndrome,” Brain and Development, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 34–38, 2005.
- R B Petersen, S L Siedlak, H-G Lee, et al., “Redox metals and oxidative abnormalities in human prion diseases,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 232–238, 2005.
- Q Ding, W R Markesbery, Q Chen, F Li, and J N Keller, “Ribosome dysfunction is an early event in Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 25, no. 40, pp. 9171–9175, 2005.
- J Liu, E Head, A M Gharib, et al., “Memory loss in old rats is associated with brain mitochondrial decay and RNA/DNA oxidation: partial reversal by feeding acetyl-L-carnitine and/or R--lipoic acid,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 2356–2361, 2002.
- B W Row, R Liu, W Xu, L Kheirandish, and D Gozal, “Intermittent hypoxia is associated with oxidative stress and spatial learning deficits in the rat,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 167, no. 11, pp. 1548–1553, 2003.
- Q Ding, E Dimayuga, W R Markesbery, and J N Keller, “Proteasome inhibition increases DNA and RNA oxidation in astrocyte and neuron cultures,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 1211–1218, 2004.
- E-M Park, M K Shigenaga, P Degan, et al., “Assay of excised oxidative DNA lesions: isolation of 8-oxoguanine and its nucleoside derivatives from biological fluids with a monoclonal antibody column,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 3375–3379, 1992.
- B Yin, R M Whyatt, F P Perera, M C Randall, T B Cooper, and R M Santella, “Determination of 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine by an immunoaffinity chromatography-monoclonal antibody-based ELISA,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1023–1032, 1995.
- J N Keller, F A Schmitt, S W Scheff, et al., “Evidence of increased oxidative damage in subjects with mild cognitive impairment,” Neurology, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 1152–1156, 2005.
- D Praticò, C M Clark, F Liun, J Rokach, V Y Lee, and J Q Trojanowski, “Increase of brain oxidative stress in mild cognitive impairment: a possible predictor of Alzheimer disease,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 972–976, 2002.
- L Migliore, I Fontana, F Trippi, et al., “Oxidative DNA damage in peripheral leukocytes of mild cognitive impairment and AD patients,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 567–573, 2005.
- P Rinaldi, M C Polidori, A Metastasio, et al., “Plasma antioxidants are similarly depleted in mild cognitive impairment and in Alzheimer's disease,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 915–919, 2003.
- I Guidi, D Galimberti, S Lonati, et al., “Oxidative imbalance in patients with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 262–269, 2006.
- A Nunomura, P I Moreira, X Zhu, A D Cash, M A Smith, and G Perry, “The role of oxidative insult and neuronal survival in Alzheimer and Parkinson diseases,” in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Diseases: Insights, Progress and Perspectives, A Fisher, I Hanin, M Memo, and F Stocchi, Eds., Springer, New York, NY, In press.
- A Nunomura, P I Moreira, X Zhu, M A Smith, and G Perry, “Involvement of oxidative stress in the early-stage of Alzheimer's disease: implications for therapeutics,” in Trends in Alzheimer's Disease Research, E M Welsh, Ed., Nova Science, Hauppauge, NY, In press.
- K Hirai, G Aliev, A Nunomura, et al., “Mitochondrial abnormalities in Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 3017–3023, 2001.
- G Perry, A Nunomura, A D Cash, et al., “Reactive oxygen: its sources and significance in Alzheimer disease,” Journal of Neural Transmission, Supplement, no. 62, pp. 69–75, 2002.
- T Ishibashi, H Hayakawa, R Ito, M Miyazawa, Y Yamagata, and M Sekiguchi, “Mammalian enzymes for preventing transcriptional errors caused by oxidative damage,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 3779–3784, 2005.
- H Yanagawa, Y Ogawa, and M Ueno, “Redox ribonucleosides. Isolation and characterization of 5-hydroxyuridine, 8-hydroxyguanosine, and 8-hydroxyadenosine from Torula yeast RNA,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 267, no. 19, pp. 13320–13326, 1992.
- A Bellacosa and E G Moss, “RNA repair: damage control,” Current Biology, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. R482–R484, 2003.
- P A Aas, M Otterlei, P Ø Falnes, et al., “Human and bacterial oxidative demethylases repair alkylation damage in both RNA and DNA,” Nature, vol. 421, no. 6925, pp. 859–863, 2003.
- Y Nakabeppu, D Tsuchimoto, A Ichinoe, et al., “Biological significance of the defense mechanisms against oxidative damage in nucleic acids caused by reactive oxygen species: from mitochondria to nuclei,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1011, pp. 101–111, 2004.
- H Hayakawa, M Kuwano, and M Sekiguchi, “Specific binding of 8-oxoguanine-containing RNA to polynucleotide phosphorylase protein,” Biochemistry, vol. 40, no. 33, pp. 9977–9982, 2001.
- H Hayakawa, T Uchiumi, T Fukuda, et al., “Binding capacity of human YB-1 protein for RNA containing 8-oxoguanine,” Biochemistry, vol. 41, no. 42, pp. 12739–12744, 2002.