- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2007 (2007), Article ID 29464, 10 pages
Bioengineering of Improved Biomaterials Coatings for Extracorporeal Circulation Requires Extended Observation of Blood-Biomaterial Interaction under Flow
1Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Academic Hospital Maastricht, P.O. Box 5800, Maastricht 6200 MD, The Netherlands
2Centre for Biomaterials Research, University of Maastricht, P.O. Box 616, Maastricht 6200 MD, The Netherlands
Received 3 April 2007; Revised 4 July 2007; Accepted 3 December 2007
Academic Editor: John L. McGregor
Copyright © 2007 Kris N. J. Stevens et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. C. Skinner, R. B. Hirschl, and R. H. Bartlett, “Extracorporeal life support,” Seminars in Pediatric Surgery, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 242–250, 2006.
- O. Mangoush, S. Purkayastha, S. Haj-Yahia, et al., “Heparin-bonded circuits versus nonheparin-bonded circuits: an evaluation of their effect on clinical outcomes,” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1058–1069, 2007.
- F. D. Rubens, “Cardiopulmonary bypass technology transfer: musings of a cardiac surgeon,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 485–499, 2002.
- H. P. Wendel and G. Ziemer, “Coating-techniques to improve the hemocompatibility of artificial devices used for extracorporeal circulation,” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 342–350, 1999.
- D. Baykut, F. Bernet, J. Wehrle, K. Weichelt, P. Schwartz, and H. R. Zerkowski, “New surface biopolymers for oxygenators: an in vitro hemocompatibility test of poly(2-methoxyethylacrylate),” European Journal of Medical Research, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 297–305, 2001.
- X. M. Mueller, D. Jegger, M. Augustburger, J. Horisberger, and L. K. von Segesser, “Poly 2-methoxyethylacrylate (PMEA) coated oxygenator: an ex vivo study,” International Journal of Artificial Organs, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 223–229, 2002.
- M. Ninomiya, K. Miyaji, and S. Takamoto, “Influence of PMEA-coated bypass circuits on perioperative inflammatory response,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 913–917, 2003.
- J. O'Neill, G. Schutze, M. Heulitt, P. Simpson, and B. Taylor, “Nosocomial infections during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1247–1253, 2001.
- D. P. Mason, D. J. Boffa, S. C. Murthy, et al., “Extended use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation after lung transplantation,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 132, no. 4, pp. 954–960, 2006.
- K. Sung, Y. T. Lee, P. W. Park, et al., “Improved survival after cardiac arrest using emergent autopriming percutaneous cardiopulmonary support,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 651–656, 2006.
- N. Weber, H. P. Wendel, and G. Ziemer, “Quality assessment of heparin coatings by their binding capacities of coagulation and complement enzymes,” Journal of Biomaterials Applications, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 8–22, 2000.
- D. S. Rijkers, S. J. H. Wielders, G. I. Tesser, and H. C. Hemker, “Design and synthesis of thrombin substrates with modified kinetic parameters,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 79, no. 5-6, pp. 491–499, 1995.
- A. B. Chandler, “In vitro thrombotic coagulation of the blood; a method for producing a thrombus,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 110–114, 1958.
- R. Kopp, R. Bensberg, A. Kashefi, K. Mottaghy, R. Rossaint, and R. Kuhlen, “Effect of hirudin versus heparin on hemocompatibility of blood contacting biomaterials: an in vitro study,” International Journal of Artificial Organs, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1272–1277, 2005.
- C. M. Cripps, “Rapid method for the estimation of plasma haemoglobin levels,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 110–112, 1968.
- Y. B. J. Aldenhoff, M. L. W. Knetsch, J. H. L. Hanssen, T. Lindhout, S. J. H. Wielders, and L. H. Koole, “Coils and tubes releasing heparin. Studies on a new vascular graft prototype,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 16, pp. 3125–3133, 2004.
- Y. B. J. Aldenhoff, R. Blezer, T. Lindhout, and L. H. Koole, “Photo-immobilisation of dipyridamole at the surface of polyurethane biomaterials: reduction of in-vitro thrombogenicity,” Biomaterials, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 167–172, 1997.
- T. W. Barrowcliffe, M. Cattaneo, G. M. Podda, et al., “New approaches for measuring coagulation,” Haemophilia, vol. 12, supplement 3, pp. 76–81, 2006.
- W. van Oeveren, J. Haan, P. Lagerman, and P. Schoen, “Comparison of coagulation activity tests in vitro for selected biomaterials,” Artificial Organs, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 506–511, 2002.
- N. Weber, H. P. Wendel, and G. Ziemer, “Hemocompatibility of heparin-coated surfaces and the role of selective plasma protein adsorption,” Biomaterials, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 429–439, 2002.
- G. M. Sreeram, A. D. Sharma, and T. F. Slaughter, “Platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa antagonists: perioperative implications,” Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 237–240, 2001.
- C. S. Rinder, J. L. Bonan, H. M. Rinder, J. Mathew, R. Hines, and B. R. Smith, “Cardiopulmonary bypass induces leukocyte-platelet adhesion,” Blood, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 1201–1205, 1992.
- K. T. Lappegård, M. Fung, G. Bergseth, et al., “Effect of complement inhibition and heparin coating on artificial surface-induced leukocyte and platelet activation,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 932–941, 2004.
- Y.-P. Wu, P. G. de Groot, and J. J. Sixma, “Shear stress-induced detachment of blood platelets from various surfaces,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 3202–3207, 1997.
- K. Kawahito, J. Mohara, Y. Misawa, and K. Fuse, “Platelet damage caused by the centrifugal pump: in vitro evaluation by measuring the release of -granule packing proteins,” Artificial Organs, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1105–1109, 1997.
- V. Kutay, T. Noyan, S. Ozcan, Y. Melek, H. Ekim, and C. Yakut, “Biocompatibility of heparin-coated cardiopulmonary bypass circuits in coronary patients with left ventricular dysfunction is superior to PMEA-coated circuits,” Journal of Cardiac Surgery, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 572–577, 2006.
- R. A. Malinauskas, “Plasma hemoglobin measurement techniques for the in vitro evaluation of blood damage caused by medical devices,” Artificial Organs, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 1255–1267, 1997.
- R. Ohkawa, Y. Hirowatari, K. Nakamura, et al., “Platelet release of -thromboglobulin and platelet factor 4 and serotonin in plasma samples,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 1023–1026, 2005.
- K. T. Lappegård, M. Fung, G. Bergseth, J. Riesenfeld, and T. E. Mollnes, “Artificial surface-induced cytokine synthesis: effect of heparin coating and complement inhibition,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 38–44, 2004.
- A. E. Åsberg and V. Videm, “Neutrophil dysfunction after biomaterial contact in an in vitro model of cardiopulmonary bypass,” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 744–748, 2006.
- A. E. Åsberg and V. Videm, “Activation of neutrophil granulocytes in an in vitro model of a cardiopulmonary bypass,” Artificial Organs, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 927–936, 2005.
- J. Gong, R. Larsson, K. N. Ekdahl, T. E. Mollnes, U. Nilsson, and B. Nilsson, “Tubing loops as a model for cardiopulmonary bypass circuits: both the biomaterial and the blood-gas phase interfaces induce complement activation in an in vitro model,” Journal of Clinical Immunology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 222–229, 1996.
- J. Andersson, J. Sanchez, K. N. Ekdahl, G. Elgue, B. Nilsson, and R. Larsson, “Optimal heparin surface concentration and antithrombin binding capacity as evaluated with human non-anticoagulated blood in vitro,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 458–466, 2003.